Author Topic: Sup with Quasi  (Read 6806 times)

Mdiddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
Sup with Quasi
« on: March 22, 2019, 05:07:37 PM »
I just bought a new setup in time for spring at my local shop (I live in nyc) and decided to go for a Quasi deck even though I know nothing about them except that Slap folks dig the ahit out of them. Off the bat I dug the shape. Fucking short and the perfect width. Even the slightly squared off tail felt comfortable. However, I threw on their video to see who the hell is on this team and what the fuck they are all about. Talk about a fucking snoozefest. 20 mins in and its been all ollies, wallrides, 5050s and more ollies. Banks, handicap rail and then more banks. I cant even remember a single dudes name, its so forgettable. The b-roll with all the lame 90s looking photos and clips was just lame as well. And believe me, I fucking can usually watch anything skate related. It suffers from a lot of east coast (especially nyc) footage: boring, slow, trying too hard to be artsy and just fucking forgettable. I will give a pass for jake johnson although 20 mins in hes had like two tricks. Dont know if that was his “part” or not.

My question is why are they so popular? Is it an east coast thing? Are they just trendy like Palace? Is it because their boards are so good nobody cares? Whats their whole story. Not being a hater. I just want to learn a little more about what theyre all about. Maybr im missing something. That video did not do  anything to help market their brand to me. I definitely will cosign their decks though. Solid wood.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
Re: Sup with Quasi
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 05:16:00 PM »
Jake Johnson, Gilbert Crockett, and Tyler Bledsoe.

Justin Henry Wallie noseblunt.

Al Davis

The two new pros are sick, but I think that first sentence should wrap it up anyways.

Also, did JJ not have a pro board in the latest drop? On a quick break at work or would check right now
The chillest1

Mdiddy

• Rep: -12
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:45:30 PM »
Jake Johnson, Gilbert Crockett, and Tyler Bledsoe.

Justin Henry Wallie noseblunt.

Al Davis

The two new pros are sick, but I think that first sentence should wrap it up anyways.

Also, did JJ not have a pro board in the latest drop? On a quick break at work or would check right now

I didnt remember his name but that was fucking sick as fuck. There were def a few good gems in there for sure. Last part was pretty good too. They shoulda sprung for better music and a better editor. Glad they picked up a few rippers I already know.

Didnt notice if there was a JJ pro model as I just went witht he first shape i liked. Come to think of it, from what I saw it was all team decks.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »
Some spots don’t translate well in footage. Most of jj’s recent footage went to his part in the cons video. Music and editing are subjective and they can’t expect everyone to enjoy their choices.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 06:50:04 PM »
Your experience is my opposite, I like their whole deal from skaters to aesthetics and their video. But their boards are too flat and I can't bring myself to buying one.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 07:34:42 PM »
I'm at a point in my life where I can't tell if someone is trolling or being genuinely serious. Quasi is sick, I like their 8.5+ shapes and any JJ footage is appreciated.

We need more of those blue balls stickers.

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 07:58:02 PM »
You live in NYC but are bored by the NYC footage? wouldnt it be more appealing considering they skate spots you probably pass often?

its obviously no alien, but i think its a hell of a lot closer than FA or hockey.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 08:22:18 PM »
i think he’s just bored and looking to see if he gets people mad . you’ve heard of quasi but don’t their story ? coming man really
I'm at a point in my life where I can't tell if someone is trolling or being genuinely serious. Quasi is sick, I like their 8.5+ shapes and any JJ footage is appreciated.

i’m right there with you . they live in nyc but are clueless to quasi come on breh i ain’t fallin for that shit . the 8.5 is perfect i’ve ridden a few .

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 03:30:00 AM »
Maybr im missing something.

Can you name a few preferred videos / company art directions as a reference?

Front Blunt

• Rep: -4
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 07:31:10 AM »
Dick Rizzo rips

hangontoyourego

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 08:13:04 AM »
yeah maybr you need to watch this

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 08:14:01 AM »
They have some of the top style guys in skateboarding it it’s also a hugely trendy brand.
Gilbert is the hipster king of skateboarding and most of us love his footage.
Al Davis also has a great style and everyone loves a stylish black guy.
They came out with “different” kind of graphics and are doing exactly what they want and not trying to follow anyone else’s trends. They are the trend starters right now which is why so many people love them.
Jake J is adored by skateboarders all around the world too.
I’m personally not into this brand but I do see the merit and see why people really back them.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:00:51 AM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

front3

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 10:41:07 AM »
Love the shapes, art direction, and Gilbert rips.

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 12:31:00 PM »
Really like their team and output of footy. Not crazy about their graphics tho. Only a few earlier ones I liked, liked their products better when they were Mother.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »
everyone loves a stylish black guy.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

somedudefromnj

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 06:44:41 PM »
i can see what you mean about the video. Im a fan of literally everything Rizzo and Wilson put out in every edit but the Quasi video, and thats probably because of the editing.

Justin Henrys part is sick as hell, Bledsoes part was dope but I wish it were longer, same with Al Davis and JJ. Gilbert absolutely killed it.

I guess the ams had the longest parts (while two of them were still am) and IMO they were just edited weird. Isnt the dude who edited it really good friends with Rizzo and Wilson too??

edit:
Even the Bronze stuff with Wilson and Rizzo right after was SICK

edit edit:
heres Jake Johnsons board in the new drop https://quasiskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/colt-8-25
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:52:08 PM by somedudefromnj »

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 06:49:54 PM »
If you live in NYC, go to the spots you saw in the video. That will give you a deeper appreciation for the shit that was done in Mother.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 08:53:41 PM »
To each their own, but I liked the video. Team is rad, art direction for the most part is really good. Boards are good. Even their clothes are pretty well designed.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 06:48:58 PM »

there were stickers? damn somehow missed out, i even bought that board twice.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 12:13:07 AM »
I'm a big Al Davis, Gilbert and JJ fan. Even from before they were on AWS/HABITAT you could tell they'd turn out great.

Quasi is just very different from otehr companies and the fact that so many newer brands bit their style says enough… The skating is still amazing and for it remains something I can relate to. I can't relate to Nyjah Huston doing a 34 stair quadruple kink rail, but I can relate to an ollie that is done extremely well.

Tastes differ I gues...

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 12:44:43 AM »
“trolling ensues genuine contemplation and discussion”
a biography of slap
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Little Debbie

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 08:28:04 AM »
Mother needs a good re-edit.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »
still can't figure out if his name is gilbert or glibbert.
good come sausage

Mohamedg89

• Rep: -22
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 12:23:11 PM »
I figured it out. The music is just boring as hell. They also dont seem to market their riders very well. I was watching a gilbert crockett part and didnt even know. Im also riding his pro model but his name isnt on it?? I mean, I wasnt really a huge fan of his when he was on Black Box but still....

I live in NYC but I was born/raised in the lower east side. The real LES. NYC isnt some hipster paradise for me. So anything remotely Jason Dill-ish just turns me off. I do fuck with Supreme though because I remember when they were (and still are, to an extent) one of the few core shops in Manhattan that a kid from the hood could roll up to and feel comfortable. Believe it or not, there was a time when shops like Autumn would vibe you harder then Supreme. Outside of Supreme though, this NEW new york trendy shit is lame as hell. Just my opinion. Im 30 years old. Im already set in my ways.

I also dont watch skate videos because they are relatable. I watch them to see gnarly skating. Extra points if the music and editing is good. Triple points if the pros are dudes who I think are rad people in general. To me watching Sean Pablo skate is like watching Richie Jackson. They both do easy "relatable" tricks but they both are insanely boring as fuck to watch. Unless you have some sort of fetish for hipsters in cuffed jeans, I just dont see the hype. Especially when dudes on Slap rip on guys like the Primitive team. "Never", interestingly enough, is a video that is on repeat for me all the time. NO B-ROll. No hijynx or "art". Just really good skating. Carlos Ribeiro..... fuck!!! Too bad their graphics are complete and utter ass. Ironically enough, I dig Quasi's graphics more than any other company out right now, including the brands I grew up on.

The Quasi clips on Thrasher are pretty gnarly though. And the boards are the best I ever skated hands down both in quality and in design. Theyll be getting 55 bucks from me every 2 weeks until next winter haha. Just not itching for their content like that unfortunately.

Side note: Yeah Right was the first video I saw when I was buying my first board at balance skate shop in Brooklyn in 2000. Justin Eldridge, Rodrigo TX and Koston were among my favorites. PJWHH was playing on VHS every day. Bootleg 3000 b sides was another dvd that I popped in every fucking day. I owned maybe 50 pairs of accels. I moved to California as soon as I graduated high school. Should give you an idea of what flavors got me into skating as a kid. Im sure a lot of the older Slap heads who love this new east coast stuff probably grew up in the Menace days. Makes sense. You like what you like. This is Slap not a liberal arts college. We didnt come here to agree.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:26:16 PM by Mohamedg89 »

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 12:32:32 PM »
Some of their clothes are sick. I like when they cut the name in half.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2019, 12:38:30 PM »
I'm indifferent to a fair amount of their art direction (though, to be fair, they've made graphics that I love), but the team is top-notch and all the dudes running the brand are in it for the right reasons.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

somedudefromnj

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 01:46:13 PM »
I figured it out. The music is just boring as hell. They also dont seem to market their riders very well. I was watching a gilbert crockett part and didnt even know. Im also riding his pro model but his name isnt on it?? I mean, I wasnt really a huge fan of his when he was on Black Box but still....

I live in NYC but I was born/raised in the lower east side. The real LES. NYC isnt some hipster paradise for me. So anything remotely Jason Dill-ish just turns me off. I do fuck with Supreme though because I remember when they were (and still are, to an extent) one of the few core shops in Manhattan that a kid from the hood could roll up to and feel comfortable. Believe it or not, there was a time when shops like Autumn would vibe you harder then Supreme. Outside of Supreme though, this NEW new york trendy shit is lame as hell. Just my opinion. Im 30 years old. Im already set in my ways.

I also dont watch skate videos because they are relatable. I watch them to see gnarly skating. Extra points if the music and editing is good. Triple points if the pros are dudes who I think are rad people in general. To me watching Sean Pablo skate is like watching Richie Jackson. They both do easy "relatable" tricks but they both are insanely boring as fuck to watch. Unless you have some sort of fetish for hipsters in cuffed jeans, I just dont see the hype. Especially when dudes on Slap rip on guys like the Primitive team. "Never", interestingly enough, is a video that is on repeat for me all the time. NO B-ROll. No hijynx or "art". Just really good skating. Carlos Ribeiro..... fuck!!! Too bad their graphics are complete and utter ass. Ironically enough, I dig Quasi's graphics more than any other company out right now, including the brands I grew up on.

The Quasi clips on Thrasher are pretty gnarly though. And the boards are the best I ever skated hands down both in quality and in design. Theyll be getting 55 bucks from me every 2 weeks until next winter haha. Just not itching for their content like that unfortunately.

Side note: Yeah Right was the first video I saw when I was buying my first board at balance skate shop in Brooklyn in 2000. Justin Eldridge, Rodrigo TX and Koston were among my favorites. PJWHH was playing on VHS every day. Bootleg 3000 b sides was another dvd that I popped in every fucking day. I owned maybe 50 pairs of accels. I moved to California as soon as I graduated high school. Should give you an idea of what flavors got me into skating as a kid. Im sure a lot of the older Slap heads who love this new east coast stuff probably grew up in the Menace days. Makes sense. You like what you like. This is Slap not a liberal arts college. We didnt come here to agree.

i agree with everything in this.

The Primitive edits give me that feeling of when I first started skating. Videos like Yeah Right, Menikmati, and everything around that time felt golden. Im in the same age range so that may reflect a similar taste.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 01:51:07 PM »
Their boards (Haven't ridden any other PS stix brand in a while) have very unique kicks to them. Very hard to get used to imo.

Mohamedg89

• Rep: -22
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »
Their boards (Haven't ridden any other PS stix brand in a while) have very unique kicks to them. Very hard to get used to imo.

For the first hour or so my foot would slip right off the tail when i would set up to pop. The tail is definitely shorter than most. The tradeoff is the wheel base is short and the board is also a little short so i found it easier to flick and spin the board around. Reminds me of the girl shape I would ride often but MUCH better wood. Its definitely an extreme shape though and not for anyone.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 02:52:50 PM »
I find it weird that someone is 30 first skate movie they saw is yeah right
I’m 37 and the first movie i saw was future primitive and bones brigade video show.