Author Topic: Mike Vallely | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 138  (Read 17991 times)

fang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
Re: Mike Vallely | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 138
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 09:31:29 AM »
First question, "What was your introduction into skateboarding?"

....45 minute answer.

I don't think I can handle this one. Mike V always sounds like he is full of shit.

Is it because every story is something like a wonder years narrative of "at that moment, I knew, my life was changed forever." ? I think he lost me when it was round 3 or 4 of Powell and he had a big statement of how "I always wanted to be a part of this team, etc etc etc" and then quit yet again. I'll watch his skating all day but it's hard to not think about how bad he wanted to become Rollins. And basically has.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2019, 09:38:42 AM »
As soon as I heard who the guest was I thought "Should be a long one. If there's anyone out there who likes to talk about themselves even more than Jamie Thomas...."

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2019, 10:10:30 AM »
Funny story about Rocco just letting Mike take the wheel to continue on from NJ to Canada.
Mike had never driven before and Rocco was like, it’s chill man, and then proceeded to slept for a number of hours.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2019, 10:14:44 AM »
I am a huge skate nerd but not really a Mike V fan other than that muska fight.  I just dont know much about him. That being said...

This shit is amazing, no joke.  Y'all are Tripping.
where is home?

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2019, 10:19:37 AM »
got three hours in before work

more interesting than i thought, a lot of but sniffing but is Mike V butt sniffing!

I've been pronouncing his name wrong this whole time, now hearing them pronounce correctly sounds wrong

dude ripping the $100 bill story was nuts
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 10:20:59 AM »
That crossed out element tattoo is badass

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 10:52:44 AM »
this guy loves skateboarding

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 10:59:25 AM »
Only made it 21 minutes and had to turn it off at his story about rolling off of a car when he didn't even know how to skate and his buddy yelling "YES! YOU'RE A SKATEBOARDER! YOU'RE A SKATEBOARDER" because it was the most radical thing he's ever seen someone do on a skateboard.

Seriously quit saying "If they made a movie about it" and just make your own shitty epic biopic about your life. You and Jamie both. It was basically him reciting a mental screenplay for a movie about his life.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:01:26 AM by Watson »

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2019, 11:02:59 AM »
This interview is hilarious. I still can’t get over this Kevin guy showing Mike a Thrasher through a window.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:25:52 AM by Christopher Lambe »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 11:05:11 AM »
Mike V’s favorite skater is totally Mike V.

Uknowmyinsta

• Rep: -364
  • Your brain has no facts.
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 11:06:54 AM »
Only made it 21 minutes and had to turn it off at his story about rolling off of a car when he didn't even know how to skate and his buddy yelling "YES! YOU'RE A SKATEBOARDER! YOU'RE A SKATEBOARDER" because it was the most radical thing he's ever seen someone do on a skateboard.

Seriously quit saying "If they made a movie about it" and just make your own shitty epic biopic about your life. You and Jamie both. It was basically him reciting a mental screenplay for a movie about his life.

Because two weren't enough?

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2019, 11:08:17 AM »

yeah i’m trying to listen but it’s hard. I get weird born again christian vibes from him

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 11:10:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
yeah i’m trying to listen but it’s hard. I get weird born again christian vibes from him
I blame this Kevin guy for Mike Vs favorite skater is Mike V. Haha

Sometimes

• Rep: 7
  • Who me? Nah
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2019, 11:17:41 AM »
5 hours is long but you can listen whenever you want. It’s not a live-only interview. Plus they’ll edit ingestible highlights for the people that can’t listen to the whole thing. 2.5 hours in and it’s a great interview.

Speakr

• Rep: 61
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 11:26:00 AM »
This. I honestly thought he was going to start tearing up a couple of times.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2019, 11:39:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Because two weren't enough?

Sponsored and stand strong as well

feedmeseymour

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2019, 01:19:12 PM »
I had these shoes back in the day, they lasted a long while, id skate these again for laughs.

Tuff Lover

• Rep: 4
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2019, 01:34:14 PM »
The human memory is garbage, that's why it's hard for me to listen to these old guys with their long winded, nostalgic stories. Just a bunch of embellishment or straight up lies. 5 hours holy shit. This will be a hard pass from me.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2019, 02:37:00 PM »
In these old guy's defense, if you've been skating 30+ years, you're going to have a lot to talk about, or a lot of stories. I'll probably do an hour, hour and a half sessions. Thats what I did with Jamie. That said this must be a record right? 5 hours?

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2019, 02:47:51 PM »
I had these shoes back in the day, they lasted a long while, id skate these again for laughs.

I had a pair as well , grey, yellow and black.
They lasted forever.
Still one of my favourite parts.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2019, 03:16:17 PM »
I finished it. It really says a lot about him that he can talk about himself for over 5 hours and only discuss how cool people apparently thought he was. His only discusses Ed Templeton in the context of how much he thought Ed looked up to him and even had the gall to victimize himself after Ed "left" their company together, not even hinting to the fact that Mike stole from him and then threatened to beat him up over it. He completely dismisses any discussion about how he used to beat people up all the time, even laughing at the notion of him being a tough guy when he has an interview of him bragging about diving backwards down a flight of stairs with two security guards in a headlock because they wouldn't let his wife into the Globe World Cup. He tries to claim that he inspired an anti-corporate attitude in skateboarding when he's among the earliest pros to have a fucking drink sponsor. He sings the praises of Greg Ginn, who on all accounts is a fucking cretin, just because it brings him one step closer to his wet dream of being Henry Rollins. It takes a special kind of person to say "people just wanna see me skate, man" and be serious about it.

wiggitywiggity

• Rep: 25
  • You Don't Gnome Me Man!
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2019, 03:22:38 PM »
I waste 5 hours a day on SLAP easy, this’ll be a breeze.

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »
These fools need to hire an editor.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2019, 04:29:06 PM »
He totally lied about Joe Wuertz being the most radical human being that he's ever met. Mike V is the most radical human being that Mike V has ever met.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »
Great storyteller / episode. Lots of history & no doubt Mike V loves himself some Mike V.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2019, 05:07:12 PM »
As an older guy, I was def. Inspired by vallely back in the day, like waaaay back in the day.

Then I seen his part in some horrible Powell video and all I could do was feel bad. Similar to kris markovich when his part in that transworld video came out(4 wheel drive I think?)

He really is patting himself on the back way too much.

But whatever. At least he aged well. He must be 45 ish

Gentleman ninja warlock

Nicki

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2019, 05:28:11 PM »
As an older guy, I was def. Inspired by vallely back in the day, like waaaay back in the day.

Then I seen his part in some horrible Powell video and all I could do was feel bad. Similar to kris markovich when his part in that transworld video came out(4 wheel drive I think?)

He really is patting himself on the back way too much.

But whatever. At least he aged well. He must be 45 ish

Almost 50. I remember a demo way back in mid 90s - maybe etnies? with Penny, Koston, Chany - and while they all flaked out posing, Mike V fought to get his trick (ollie grab entire funbox) and landed it. MJ also ground out a nollie frontside flip off a lauch ramp. But Mike V saved it - demo king 👑

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -70
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2019, 05:37:46 PM »
Did he talk about when Kip Brennan almost took his head off in a hockey fight??

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2019, 05:54:12 PM »
This dude is a clown. His skating is also not sick.

Tuff Lover

• Rep: 4
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2019, 07:02:54 PM »
He had me at "Tastee Subs."