Author Topic: Mike Vallely | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 138  (Read 17956 times)

soccer mom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
Re: Mike Vallely | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 138
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2019, 05:53:23 PM »
Is he like Jamie Thomas or Hosoi, where Crob only gets a word or two the whole episode and somehow they explain their whole life story?
Haven't watched yet obviously, just wondering.....
    " how did you start skating?" "Uh huh , uh huh, sure, uh huh, uh huh, no way, uh huh, sure, uh huh"
 5 hours later  "well we better wrap this up, Kelly will you get him some shirts"
Am I on the right track here?

belt

• Rep: -16
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2019, 06:41:22 PM »
If you care about skate history you should watch this

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2019, 06:57:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Holy shit, you're fucking annoying. Welcome to my ignore list, bub.

Haha ignore list? Rick Kane is poosey confirmed.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2019, 07:04:44 PM »
 ;D

Edit: Poosey!

"User 'Rick Kane' has blocked your personal message."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 07:07:01 PM by os89 »

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2019, 07:12:31 PM »
I stand in solidarity with Rick Kane
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2019, 07:33:07 PM »
"I had this beam of light illuminating from me..." when talking about doing ho-ho streetplants was pretty cringeworthy. And I'm only an hour in.

But it's indisputable that he's one of street skating's pioneers and worked very hard. It's pretty fucking weird how one of the pioneers of street skateboarding had to resort to signing with Affliction clothing to make some money. I mean maybe it's his fault, I don't know, but it's disheartening.   

I remember when he skated for Element and wrote a KOTR article which talked shit on barneys with trucker hats and Thrasher tattoos and hardcore attitudes. Wonder if they discuss it here.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2019, 07:42:47 PM »
Jesus Christ, how long does he talk about that fucking graveyard this time?
fuck you bama

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2019, 09:55:06 PM »
That was tough to listen to. I liked when he blamed skateshops for Vallely and Elephant skateboards not doing well, and continued to praise Zumiez. They must carry a lot of Street Plant.

Nano Shinonome

• Rep: -11
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2019, 12:00:13 AM »
Improv Maestro

Bobshirt would have been better tho.

shalom hardware

• Rep: 0
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2019, 08:37:16 AM »

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2019, 08:42:54 AM »
Lol wow
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2019, 08:49:24 AM »
two hours in on 1.5 speed

i'm choking this down like Metamucil

might finish it off at 2x

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2019, 10:15:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Are there any Mike V parts that actually contain impressive skating? Like one that could be considered elite and groundbreaking for its time?
[close]

You must be kidding.

Start with Public Domain, which Mark Gonzales referred to as the most influential part he's ever seen.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Holy shit, you're fucking annoying. Welcome to my ignore list, bub.
[close]

Haha ignore list? Rick Kane is poosey confirmed.
[close]

You're next old man!!!

You are the most dumb, and fuckest cunt here since Tracer. At least he he had something appropriating charisma. You are a fuckhead.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »
"I had this beam of light illuminating from me..." when talking about doing ho-ho streetplants was pretty cringeworthy. And I'm only an hour in.

But it's indisputable that he's one of street skating's pioneers and worked very hard. It's pretty fucking weird how one of the pioneers of street skateboarding had to resort to signing with Affliction clothing to make some money. I mean maybe it's his fault, I don't know, but it's disheartening.   

I remember when he skated for Element and wrote a KOTR article which talked shit on barneys with trucker hats and Thrasher tattoos and hardcore attitudes. Wonder if they discuss it here.

I do remember that article. I thought it was insane that on one page, he shittalked his teammates for going on the trip but not taking the challenges seriously, then the next page, talked about how revolutionary and pure this session at a pool where they didn’t get any points for was, and then complained about how pissed he was that they got last place.  It made no sense.  Remember his Chris Cole BATB March and then how he whined about it after when Cole did do all of his tricks?

He just loves being contrarian, even if it means contradicting himself.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2019, 02:08:50 PM »
I listened for about a hour and a half working on my car today. Some funny stuff but this guy needs to get over himself. Had to turn it off after he brings up his energy and being the first guy doing something for the 100th time.

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2019, 02:38:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I do remember that article. I thought it was insane that on one page, he shittalked his teammates for going on the trip but not taking the challenges seriously, then the next page, talked about how revolutionary and pure this session at a pool where they didn’t get any points for was, and then complained about how pissed he was that they got last place.  It made no sense.  Remember his Chris Cole BATB March and then how he whined about it after when Cole did do all of his tricks?

He just loves being contrarian, even if it means contradicting himself.

http://youtu.be/1jcRllGVaQ4

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2019, 03:33:02 PM »
enjoyed it. agree with the other poster who mentioned that it was nice that he was apologetic about bad choices he's made and about talking up his own accomplishments. the episode would be kind of lame if he didn't explain how exciting these things were to him. i liked that he took a story telling approach to it. at the end of the day the guy did do a lot of cool shit and helped launch the hobby\lifestyle that so many of us take pride it so i'm guessing lot's of people would take some pride and do a little bragging if they were in his position.

also saw him at a few demos and appreciated how he would break himself off every time as others mentioned. might buy a board and show them some support.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2019, 05:49:28 PM »
he had kind of a Donger thing going on back then. big kickflips and ollies. granted, we hated Donger at the time for being too basic and repetitive but it would've been interesting to see an alternative Mike V path where he didn't rely so heavily on goalie skating.
that's a fair comparison, sure he didn't have as much flow/ style as Donger did in the mid 90s but his focus was on doing simple tricks fast and with lots of pop. Some footage here (I fucking love this vid btw, so many heads in there):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Datx4WNbgFI
funny that he only has a few tricks filmed and yet he won the pro division? He was hated for a long time in the 90s though so maybe that's why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Datx4WNbgFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjLal2wvgpU
are two great examples of the type of skating he was doing, both are pretty powerful skating for 95/96-ish, lol he looks like Ben Kadow at the end of that Pacific Drive vid and a big YES to whoever said the skaters in the POLAR vid looked like they were trying to cosplay Rubbish Heap-era Vallely

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

daewonbong3000

• Rep: 10
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2019, 07:53:43 PM »
Where is that gif of him eyeing the barrier and than shoulder checking it. I fucking love that one

doublesteveburger

« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2019, 03:14:50 PM »
3rd attempt, couldn't do it, sorry Mike.

chris gentryfied

• Rep: -86
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2019, 03:52:23 AM »
it looks like Mike V has chronic wasting disease. maybe he plowed into a gypsy while pushing around LA and doing handstands.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2019, 04:14:57 AM »
Just finished and it was fucking amazing! He really summed it up over the last 15 or so min about where he's at in life and I can't hate on that PMA, he honestly brought a tear to my eye.

And while I did want to hear more about his return to veganism I'm not sure if the 9 club was the right platform for him to do so seeing as though he's already talked about it at length on social media so perhaps it was redundant, especially after talking for 5 hours straight? Funnily enough though, it was during that dark period he was talking about right before he decided to start street plant up with his daughter.

I won't babble on any longer, but I'm really stoked he's at peace with himself after all these years; he has a good sense of self awareness and is even able to make fun of himself these days which was probably hard to do back in the day when he was copping a lot of hate from the industry at large. Fuck yeah Mike, I think you might just be my fav skater ever!

"but why did you only push in the black label video?"
hahaha
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 04:16:47 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2019, 09:17:54 AM »

what a bozo

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2019, 01:24:42 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvP_vFgCbVf/

Whether it matters to unknown_soldier or not. Didn't quote because he used a retardedly big picture.

This was a really good episode for the trip I did this past week. Mike has a lot of passion, and his storytelling made for a solid listen. It's crazy to think, how long the episode was, and it feels like there was so much more to talk about.

I grew up with Diesel Mike V (2000 and later), and didn't really know anything of his career before that. I was pretty ignorant to a lot skate history and didn't realize he was attached to a lot of it. That story with TG saying was pretty awesome, especially after listening to his 9club.

I'd assume he has his own company rather than doing something with Powell, because of the skate graphics. Was he was on Element at one point?

Again, good listen and definitely like this chapter of Mike V, Chill Mike.
The chillest1

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2019, 01:15:44 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIuzm4u_Jp4
Before we slide into a new episode I wanted to post the Suburban Diners part. Everything else got posted, good and bad, but I think this part is really cool and has aged well. It uses a Husker Du song so it's got that going for it which is nice.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

chris gentryfied

• Rep: -86
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2019, 01:38:03 PM »
^never seen Vallely 360 flip  before. that part was cool and Donger-like.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2019, 06:33:12 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvP_vFgCbVf/

Whether it matters to unknown_soldier or not. Didn't quote because he used a retardedly big picture.

This was a really good episode for the trip I did this past week. Mike has a lot of passion, and his storytelling made for a solid listen. It's crazy to think, how long the episode was, and it feels like there was so much more to talk about.

I grew up with Diesel Mike V (2000 and later), and didn't really know anything of his career before that. I was pretty ignorant to a lot skate history and didn't realize he was attached to a lot of it. That story with TG saying was pretty awesome, especially after listening to his 9club.

I'd assume he has his own company rather than doing something with Powell, because of the skate graphics. Was he was on Element at one point?

Again, good listen and definitely like this chapter of Mike V, Chill Mike.

If you're in Houston and want either of these boards or any street plant at all go to beantooth skateshop on the eastside of town they're the only ones that carry it in this vast beautiful city.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2019, 10:18:16 AM »
Mike claimed in this episode that he wouldnt "go back to the well" on a 30 year barnyard deck. oops I did it again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxh2NELgsjy/

Uknowmyinsta

• Rep: -345
  • Your brain has no facts.
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2019, 10:55:34 AM »
Not that anyone should be surprised but,

what a jerk of.