Author Topic: JAWBREAKER  (Read 894 times)

tension

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
JAWBREAKER
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:38:36 AM »
Anyone see them on this past string of shows? I saw them last year in NY and catching them this Saturday in NJ.
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
Re: JAWBREAKER
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 03:23:11 PM »
No but the one guy that works at the record store I sometimes go to was the roadie for his friends band that went on this tour with them. Said it ruled.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 07:22:19 PM »
Saw them in dc on this run and it was incredible. The set was punishing and Blake really was putting a lot into it for a 51 year old. For a three piece they sounded huge

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 02:17:52 PM »
Saw them in dc on this run and it was incredible. The set was punishing and Blake really was putting a lot into it for a 51 year old. For a three piece they sounded huge

Ha, I was at that show. Flew out to DC just for that and to see some friends. JB was incredible. DC crowd did the DC thing...someone had a song about that. Standing. Arms folded. No emotion. The show was good. Venue was too big.

I just saw them three straight nights here in Los Angeles. They were incredible. Lost nothing over the pandemic. In fact these were better shows than the LA series in 2018. This was in total the 11th or 12th time post-reunion I've seen them. I am one of those people that hated them after Dear You came out and their breakup didnt affect me until awhile later. The intervening 21 years made me grow to love that record more than I would have ever expected.

I am a mega-fan. I have four tattoos for them. Tomorrow will make five.
ok thanks

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 03:46:23 PM »
^ @bigdave I went to the sunday show, it was so good. Was a family bonding experience cuz I grew up a Jawbreaker fan(really couldn't listen to anything non-schwarzenbach from ages 18-24 it felt like haha) and my younger sister has  become a fan over the last few years so we went. It was my first time seeing them cuz I lived outside the US when they first reunited(also was just a child in their heyday) and played shows which was a huge bummer. My friend also said the same thing though - that they sounded better this tour than they did before. Blake's banter was also 10/10, had me laughing when he kept bringing up the walk out tune and conquering denver on their next stop lol. I was so stoked they played condition oakland and chesterfield king. amazing tunes, coulda shed a tear during the outro of condition oakland haha.

it really solidified my love for them which was a great feeling. I remember when they first reunited it kinda weirded me out and I almost didn't want to see them for some stupid reason like it was going to tarnish their legacy in my head if it didn't live up to expectations/seemed like they were cashing in. but seeing them rekindled the flame and I haven't been able to listen to anything besides jawbreaker, jtb, and forgetters since

did you catch the lemonheads set? was a trainwreck but entertaining to watch. kinda a bummer cuz I am definitely a fan

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 04:51:07 PM »
^ @bigdave I went to the sunday show, it was so good. Was a family bonding experience cuz I grew up a Jawbreaker fan(really couldn't listen to anything non-schwarzenbach from ages 18-24 it felt like haha) and my younger sister has  become a fan over the last few years so we went. It was my first time seeing them cuz I lived outside the US when they first reunited(also was just a child in their heyday) and played shows which was a huge bummer. My friend also said the same thing though - that they sounded better this tour than they did before. Blake's banter was also 10/10, had me laughing when he kept bringing up the walk out tune and conquering denver on their next stop lol. I was so stoked they played condition oakland and chesterfield king. amazing tunes, coulda shed a tear during the outro of condition oakland haha.

it really solidified my love for them which was a great feeling. I remember when they first reunited it kinda weirded me out and I almost didn't want to see them for some stupid reason like it was going to tarnish their legacy in my head if it didn't live up to expectations/seemed like they were cashing in. but seeing them rekindled the flame and I haven't been able to listen to anything besides jawbreaker, jtb, and forgetters since

did you catch the lemonheads set? was a trainwreck but entertaining to watch. kinda a bummer cuz I am definitely a fan

That's awesome. I am 45 and took my 9 year old daughter. we were against the rail the whole show. Blake is a banter king man. There are certain songs that I am guaranteed to cry for various reasons every time - this weekend it was really Accident Prone and Chemistry. Jinx Removing on Friday (it was the 1st afterall) and Boat on Saturday. I get really happy during CO and WBI, so I was super happy to hear them. They played Parabola on Saturday and absolutely crushed it.

I mean they definitely got paid (1m) for Riotfest and being a full time band again is a job and it's definitely a lot about paying the bills but they play so hard and so good again, they're not just trading on their name, they're trading on the music and the performance. They are still so so so so good. They'll all be 55 this year too. Remarkable.

Evan Dando has some serious, serious problems. He always has. They were horrible. It was expected, but not that bad. He needs significant help.
ok thanks

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 09:46:13 AM »
@bigdave Hell yea, cool dad alert haha. I am sure that was an awesome experience to share with your daughter. Holy shit, I should've gone more days. I would love to hear parabola live. I was suprised they played westbay invitational, but stoked none the less! I hope they tour more here and there. I will most definitely be catching them every time from here on out.

yeah, evan dando is a mess. My buddy saw him a sometime last year and said it was exactly like that or even worse. I figured he had got his shit together a bit since then but nope...

What tattoo did you end up getting?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 01:12:33 PM »
@bigdave Hell yea, cool dad alert haha. I am sure that was an awesome experience to share with your daughter. Holy shit, I should've gone more days. I would love to hear parabola live. I was suprised they played westbay invitational, but stoked none the less! I hope they tour more here and there. I will most definitely be catching them every time from here on out.

yeah, evan dando is a mess. My buddy saw him a sometime last year and said it was exactly like that or even worse. I figured he had got his shit together a bit since then but nope...

What tattoo did you end up getting?

Evan embarrassed himself on twitter pretty bad talking about Jawbreaker before the show too. Dudes fucked.

My kids first punk show was Jawbreaker at Bottom of the Hill in January 2018. How wild is that. Jawbreaker with 200 people. WBI was cool but Blake fucked up the lyrics pretty bad, did the same stanza twice.

I am getting "sad / elated" tattooed on my wrist today. Lyrics from Million.
ok thanks