Author Topic: Shortest lived board company ever?  (Read 17074 times)

stringsnthings

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -48
Re: Shortest lived board company ever?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2019, 08:03:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Not sure if it was the shortest lived, but Seek came out with a top tier team then disappeared.
[close]
Seek was a weird one. Lack of art direction killed that brand, which is weird considering that they were out of Alien who had some of the sickest design ever. They had a good team. All they needed was a guy to say no to painting all of the boards fucking chrome.

I always felt like the graphics from seek were just alien workshop graphic left over series but they were like fuck it lets just make em all silver that'll do it.

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 08:05:44 AM »
Kris Markovich Hellrose skateboard
Feliz Argüelles and Manny Santiago AMMO skateboards

dirtywork81

• Rep: 16
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 08:08:38 AM »
60/40 skateboards

Soft Boiled

• Rep: 21
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 08:09:28 AM »
Taken was pretty sick, the decks were tight and those shoes were fire, if you had shit for brains. I thought Markovich finally struck gold with this brand and his “one trick pony” style of art.

xandeo

• Rep: 7
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2019, 08:11:26 AM »
Selfish skateboards? Seems like it just got old enough for W to get the tattoo and then it was out.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2019, 08:18:42 AM »
Selfish skateboards? Seems like it just got old enough for W to get the tattoo and then it was out.

started in 2010, and was around until 2015ish.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2019, 08:31:21 AM »
Wasn't there a Michael Sieben brand after Bueno & Roger, but before the recent Roger revival?

p.s. we miss you, Nate Broussard :'(

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2019, 08:33:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not sure if it was the shortest lived, but Seek came out with a top tier team then disappeared.
[close]
Seek was a weird one. Lack of art direction killed that brand, which is weird considering that they were out of Alien who had some of the sickest design ever. They had a good team. All they needed was a guy to say no to painting all of the boards fucking chrome.
[close]

I always felt like the graphics from seek were just alien workshop graphic left over series but they were like fuck it lets just make em all silver that'll do it.
It was like Alien let an intern do the design, but Dyrdek was the art director or something. "I want my boards SHINY!" *rides off on mini horse*

tedkootz

• Rep: -58
  • my life be like ooh ahh
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2019, 08:34:44 AM »
probably those dudes that tried printing shalom boards

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2019, 08:40:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
It was like Alien let an intern do the design, but Dyrdek was the art director or something. "I want my boards SHINY!" *rides off on mini horse*

seek had a bigger team than i remember

kalis, rob, flo, carolina, mikey, greg myers, bjorn johnston, ted degros

Mr. Fink

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2019, 09:09:46 AM »
Expand Quote
TV Skateboards.
[close]

I'll call your TV and raise you a By the Sword.

I think By the Sword is the correct answer.

gnarly_as_hell

• Rep: -2
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2019, 09:19:38 AM »
Expand Quote
TV Skateboards.
[close]

Wow I forgot all about By the Sword. I knew there was a Mike V one before or after Elephant Brand but for the life of me couldn't remember it. Shame it died, perfect opportunity for some real power metal role-playing graphics.

'Through the years I've had people say it to me. I'd hear, "You know Mike, you live by the sword, you're gonna die by the sword," with a really negative connotation attached to that.' Well I guess that explains the name...

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2019, 09:19:48 AM »
probably those dudes that tried printing shalom boards
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

AlwaysSkater420

• Rep: 173
  • If you don't fuck with Boulala we can't be friends
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2019, 09:36:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
TV Skateboards.
[close]

[close]

Wow I forgot all about By the Sword. I knew there was a Mike V one before or after Elephant Brand but for the life of me couldn't remember it.

Vallely Skateboards
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:39:01 AM by AlwaysSkater420 »

Crack Whore

• Rep: -16
  • no double on the midnight menu
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2019, 09:50:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i think don pendleton did their art, hes from the same town as me and his sister was a teacher at my middle school, he used to come to our school and give out stickers and workshop decks around 02-03.hes good friends with my dad. i still have some seek stickers
All you shiteating faggots saying i cant ollie need to shut the fuck up. Of course i can ollie, im just critiquing the brail skateboarding video where the guy says to pop straight up.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 36
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2019, 09:56:25 AM »
Wasn't there a Michael Sieben brand after Bueno & Roger, but before the recent Roger revival?

p.s. we miss you, Nate Broussard :'(

I think that was the one that was called Program, maybe made it close to twoish years before going back to Roger.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2019, 09:57:03 AM »
3d?

rosemaryBB

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2019, 09:59:57 AM »
I remember thinking Artafact was cool when it came out (I was 14 at the time) and my friend got one of their decks around the same time he got a Seek (he was cursed). Imagine an alternate reality where we had a long term Artafact team with Daewon on it and Mullen on, I guess still Enjoi or something? As corny as they are in retrospect it's weird to think of a world without Almost.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2019, 10:45:36 AM »

rosemaryBB

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »
Oh shit yall, remember Oyola's wacky board co from the 90's with the conspiracy theory theme? I think it was straight up called Illuminati even

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »
Popwar - really liked what they had going, great boards but I guess it never really panned out.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2019, 11:00:41 AM »
Oh shit yall, remember Oyola's wacky board co from the 90's with the conspiracy theory theme? I think it was straight up called Illuminati even
Wasn’t silverstar attached?
I had an illuminati board with a big fat nose and it was great for two weeks until it delaminated.

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2019, 11:12:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I had an illuminati board with a big fat nose and it was great for two weeks until it delaminated.
I think Illuminati became Silverstar. It was supposed to kinda be a Zoo York Philly squad, but Zoo pulled funding and they did it somewhere else I think? I had a Silverstar Sergei Trudnowski board. It was gigantic.

rosemaryBB

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Think it evolved into Silverstar which lasted slightly longer but still not that long - looking back on google right now and the art direction for both was fucking sick actually, not really anything you see in the skate world before or since too much.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2019, 11:19:58 AM »
Stove

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2019, 11:31:29 AM »
tfw Lockdown somehow still exists

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2019, 11:43:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Ted Degros wasn’t on Seek. He was on Alien, then Santa Cruz, then left skating.

Popwar - really liked what they had going, great boards but I guess it never really panned out.

Popwar was around for years but I agree with people who mentioned Populis. I think they had one series that only got sent to a few shops, one ad, and then it became Popwar.

Expand Quote
[close]

Illuminati became Silverstar because of a C&D order/trademark claim I believe. Ricky explained it in his Epicly Later’d.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 605
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2019, 11:52:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
TV Skateboards.
[close]

[close]

I think By the Sword is the correct answer.

This sounds about right. I believe they died literally the week before their first drop, leaving Svitak with a stack of effectively worthless product.

Also:

bloards

rosemaryBB

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2019, 11:55:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Ted Degros wasn’t on Seek. He was on Alien, then Santa Cruz, then left skating.

Almost positive Ted got switched to Seek from Alien when that got started up, then back to Alien when it folded

fs overkrook

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2019, 12:23:48 PM »
Ronnie Creager's attempt at a board brand, "High school dropout". Jeff won dong was on the team lol.
Pretty sure that shit is still distributed out of surplus...got a tour of the warehouse once and saw those boards. Awful graphics