Author Topic: discuss: new bastien interview in thrasher  (Read 13208 times)

KoRnholio8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: discuss: new bastien interview in thrasher
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2007, 01:43:11 AM »
I can see where people are coming from, he seems to like turning one way...
Backside, fakie backside, switch frontside, nollie backside.
Nollie backside heelflip, backside half cab flips(and cab of course), backside bigspins, switch frontside heels.
Even on ledges and rails, switch back board, regs front. It's as if he struggles to turn even 90 degrees his unpreferred way.
But there are always exeptions, frontside flip long 3 in Sorry (Flo switch tre I think), frontside halfcab flip MACBA Really Sorry, frontside nollie on flat in Really Sorry and a switch back tail in Really Sorry. But as far as skill goes, he's pretty unfuckwithable.
As far as the self cheering goes, I don't mind it too much but he did it real bad after a backside flip in Prague, Czech Republic. (Footage Playing in Traffic) Definately not 'personal stokage' cheering.

it sure seems like that, but there are definately exceptions (like nollie heel nosegrind fs 180 out)...

before you start to hate on that, think about other PROs: they all basically do the same, unless their skill comes from doing new tech tricks all the time and not taking the old tricks to bigger terrain (which PROs normaly do nowadays)

oh, and how many PROs do you guys know that did a sw heel bs 5-0 on a handrail?

nando

• Rep: 0
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2007, 05:02:03 AM »
I honestly didn't think he was massively bigging himself up in that video.

Can anyone remember when Rowley wrote his name on a concrete ledge/rail that he 5.0'd, would this be classed as bigging himself up?

aguywhoskates

• Rep: -13
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2007, 06:58:19 AM »
I think flip should have seriously stuck with bastien through this phase. they could pay for this later when he makes a penny-esque comeback and blows up.

kuman

• Rep: 5
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2007, 07:08:06 AM »
He was kicked off Flip because he'd turn up at Demo's on on filming trips and sit around and play the guitar all day and not skate, got Stupidly into the guitar, saw him in Paris last year, rolled up at Bercy in a suit, trilby, two guitars, no board. Borrowed a kids board, blazed across the spot doing loads of fast nailed flip tricks (I forget what though) , gave the kid his board back and said "Ugh that board feels like it has cancer." I like the new mad Bastien, better than the old jock Bastien.

Could one not draw a parallel between this and the situation with Penny back when he was AWOL?  Shit, dude was missig for years but that didn't stop them selling boards with his name on them... Hell, didn't they even have Johnny Rotten say that Bastien "may be even better than Penny" in the video?  I thought that was kind of weird when i heard it the first time but THEY left it in the video...

otis b driftwood

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2007, 07:18:40 AM »
flip don't have a good record with their young prodigous skaters.

if you knew any of the guys that run it you'd know why.

neon blitz

« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2007, 07:19:34 AM »

unedited version of him getting the footage for his 1st line in really sorry, consistent as fuck....

nando

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2007, 07:48:16 AM »
man, that one run with the fakie 360 flip in would've been immense

fuckingvegan

« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2007, 08:16:01 AM »
I give it a couple more months before he is on Element....

sheffledge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2007, 10:36:48 AM »
bastien nollie heel back tailed a handrail

5 FUKKKING YRS AGO

its clear that he does what HE wants to do

not everything he can

Bushsucks

• Rep: 3
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2007, 10:52:55 AM »

unedited version of him getting the footage for his 1st line in really sorry, consistent as fuck....

Shit, now I love his skating even more.

parkingblockdog

• Rep: 3
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2007, 11:01:46 AM »
Yeah I really don't care what people say about this guys trick selection because he has done so much shit that most other pros would not even consider trying.  Plus any video I see posted of him, even the ones that are supposed to make me dislike him, just reconfirm how talented he is to me.  There a ton of Bastien videos on this message board and the fact remains that no matter how outrageous he is acting, he rips in every single one.

thaitan

« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2007, 05:57:52 PM »

Sick.  I want some new footy of him right now!

Thizzzzz

• Rep: -5
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2007, 07:18:47 PM »
Expand Quote
I can see where people are coming from, he seems to like turning one way...
Backside, fakie backside, switch frontside, nollie backside.
Nollie backside heelflip, backside half cab flips(and cab of course), backside bigspins, switch frontside heels.
Even on ledges and rails, switch back board, regs front. It's as if he struggles to turn even 90 degrees his unpreferred way.
But there are always exeptions, frontside flip long 3 in Sorry (Flo switch tre I think), frontside halfcab flip MACBA Really Sorry, frontside nollie on flat in Really Sorry and a switch back tail in Really Sorry. But as far as skill goes, he's pretty unfuckwithable.
As far as the self cheering goes, I don't mind it too much but he did it real bad after a backside flip in Prague, Czech Republic. (Footage Playing in Traffic) Definately not 'personal stokage' cheering.
[close]

it sure seems like that, but there are definately exceptions (like nollie heel nosegrind fs 180 out)...

before you start to hate on that, think about other PROs: they all basically do the same, unless their skill comes from doing new tech tricks all the time and not taking the old tricks to bigger terrain (which PROs normaly do nowadays)

oh, and how many PROs do you guys know that did a sw heel bs 5-0 on a handrail?

He does a butter frontside flip on a hip  in one of those contest runs.  Im sure he can do frontside tricks, just chooses not to.

HoSGage

« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2007, 07:26:25 PM »
I never understood people hating on him, that kid is good as shit and always has been. What can he not do? Him combined with Ali Boulala and Mark Appleyard made Sorry one of the best videos of the 2000s.
Quote from Guile

and isnt your crew a baker bite? hammercity. you might as well call it stretchmouth, because your gonna be covered in stretch marks when i finish feeding you this big dong soup.

friershier

• Rep: -12
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2007, 08:17:12 PM »
I know it is dorky to cheer for yourself but I have seen Bastien skating a few years ago in Barcelona and he came off real nice he was helping kids with three sixty flips and just chilling like everyone at MACBA he was there from sun up to sun down and came off as a real low key guy who was not into the whole superstar thing that self cheering seems to make him out to be.  It might be that he is not that self conscious and doesnt take part in the whole cool guy high school industry bullshit of trying to appear super cool at all times even when he is stoked he landed something incredible.  I would really love to know the truth about him leaving flip since they have stuck with other guys who went off from the professional scene to do drugs or pursue other things and he hadn't really dropped out from coverage that much even when they kicked him off it was not like he was AWOL for two years or anything.

thaitan

« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2007, 08:31:38 PM »
Yeah why are people hating on self-cheering?  It just shows the love he has for skateboarding..of course he needs to get back on that skateboard.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2007, 09:21:47 PM »
I know it is dorky to cheer for yourself but I have seen Bastien skating a few years ago in Barcelona and he came off real nice he was helping kids with three sixty flips and just chilling like everyone at MACBA he was there from sun up to sun down and came off as a real low key guy who was not into the whole superstar thing that self cheering seems to make him out to be.  It might be that he is not that self conscious and doesnt take part in the whole cool guy high school industry bullshit of trying to appear super cool at all times even when he is stoked he landed something incredible.  I would really love to know the truth about him leaving flip since they have stuck with other guys who went off from the professional scene to do drugs or pursue other things and he hadn't really dropped out from coverage that much even when they kicked him off it was not like he was AWOL for two years or anything.

hearphones

« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2007, 11:01:18 PM »
yea whats up with hating on self cheering? so if you land a trick that made your week youre supposed to be all hush hush an humble? fuck that! only some one jealous would hate on some one getin hyped on their talent. bastien killed it in like 02,03 or some time around there when the first flip vid came out he was killin every thing! yea remember his banger in flip? kickflip front board! when no one did those! him,mark a.,an arto saari made that video! check any part he's done its more than four or five tricks.he's way better than most pro's today.maybe he made so much money from when he was in his prime that he can chill an just skate an not skate as a job. why dont you guys talk shit about some one who is truly over-rated like...................................TOM PENNY!! that guy was sick when tail slides on red curbs turned a man pro now he's normal. any way get over it an go skate. 8)

hakken

• Rep: 2
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2007, 07:13:15 AM »
penny aint overrated.

floyd

• Rep: 1
  • Biertje?
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2007, 07:30:44 AM »
penny aint overrated.
penny is still one my favorite!

would love to see bastien back in action!

jaesi25

• Rep: -153
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2007, 09:39:10 AM »
this will probably be an unpoprular opinion but i think little gay ass rowley didnt like bein the least skilled on flip. he got rid of everyone who skates better than he does (or at least has a bigger trick selection) and doesnt do nuthugger pants. chamlers cerezini bastien...... hes a little gay fucker. his saving grace is he's vegan... and that he skateboards i guess.
what i want when i want with who i want how i want.

Raw!!!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
  • ackrite
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2007, 11:14:54 AM »
this will probably be an unpoprular opinion but i think little gay ass rowley didnt like bein the least skilled on flip. he got rid of everyone who skates better than he does (or at least has a bigger trick selection) and doesnt do nuthugger pants. chamlers cerezini bastien...... hes a little gay fucker. his saving grace is he's vegan... and that he skateboards i guess.
Because Rodrigo TX has the tightest pants ever and no trick selection...

jimmy_chadwick

• Rep: -5
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2007, 11:43:01 AM »
i read once on here there was a contest in europe and bastien was doing coke in the open.....if thats true, thats amazing....and if it is true, if you own a skatecompany, you probably have to fire the dude, to cover your bases or not get sued or attacked by parents groups etc ect..........

has anyone even mentioned the stevie ray vaughn tattoo on his arm?........im sure he can play some scales and jam with people, but i seriously doubt he's gonna become some amazing song writer voice of his generation type level......making good music is seriously hard.....most musicians have horrible taste, so it doesnt matter how proficient they are......If bastien had  gotten a Sonic Youth tattoo, maybe i would have more faith in his muse....and not to be racist, but the french have never been known as serious rockers

damian

« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2007, 11:55:12 AM »
fuck stevie ray vaughn, bit off jimi so damn hard. no biters!

DeeJayUu

« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2007, 04:50:03 PM »

how is being vegan a saving grace.. really who gives a fuck..
and about the nuthugger pants tom penny is far as I know is still on flip and I dont think anyone has seen him skatin in tight jeans

greg

• Rep: -25
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2007, 05:07:56 PM »
it seems that bastien isn't just self-cheering because he's happy he landed a trick, he's self-cheering rather because he's so in love with himself.  slam city i think, a few years back, remember when he did his run and was getting a standing ovation from everybody, and at the very end he put his arms up in triumph and gave everybody the finger?