Author Topic: Stay in School...  (Read 13205 times)

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

Stay in School...
« on: March 09, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »
Today I was sooo close in getting this job that would have paid 55k to start. Not much for some but I've never made that kind of doe. If I hadn't gone to school I'd get 20k if I was lucky. The only reason he didn't hire me is cause he said there's more flow in that place than in any other auto body shop. It was a place that fixed cars for
auctions so he said I'd be overwhelmed for my experience but he really liked me. He said I'd get hired in a minute at a shop, but jobs are far and few between in that trade. So once you're in it's like a tic on a hound dog.
 He said I would have been hired if I had lied a little too. He said I was to honest but he liked that about me and may reconsider. Seriously, stay in school. I didn't even get the job but left the place feelling good. It pisses me off when pros say school sucks cause they're being selfish and not realising that they're sending the wrong message cause how cut throat shit is.

biggums mcgee

Re: Stay in School...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 08:44:26 PM »
and what was high school like in the 80's again??

cold budweisers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 10:26:25 PM »
innovative skateboard riding cant get you everywhere

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 10:29:25 PM »
Lying can.
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 11:13:10 PM »
knowing the right people and being able to sweet talk them gets you anywhere.  skills? shiiiiiiieeeeet.

Jackers

• Rep: 11
  • Thanks GRL
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 03:15:57 AM »
School? 55k? sheesh! This guy's more convincing 
Idle

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 05:51:50 AM »
School worked out pretty good for me but it's not for everyone. For one thing, if your not going to major in something that is in demand then it might not work out so good, although lots of jobs will hire people with a degree regardless of what it is.

Good on ya Henry for the honesty. My experience has been a mixed bag with honesty and straight talk in the work place but I have to say that even when people don't like what you are telling them they will still respect your candor. I personally get put off by people who try to "talk the talk" and I will frequently shut people down for that kind of thing.

"blah, blah, blah, ..... blah, blah. You understand what I am saying?"

"no, but that's not important."

Definitely get a face made at you the first time but never had the same person try and talk shit twice to me.

My job is extremely tech though and I have spent years trying to build my skill set to a level where rules don't apply as much to me as they do to others and I am also playing up on the geek stereotype that is portrayed in the movies. In corporate america, people are so out of touch that they don't really know the difference between geek and skater and I really hate having to hide my personality at work so I have been taking advantage of that. I love that the sales kooks (jocks) think that I'm a introverted geek because it means they don't try and talk to me and will only give me the "did you catch the game?" once by the water cooler.

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 10:26:37 AM »
your a geek if you dont watch the game. thats how we do it in 'merica.
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

Dog Paddle

• Rep: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 11:35:16 AM »
School is indeed a good route for some, but not all.  I tried and failed miserably (I wasted a football scholarship because I hated school so much) because I was so unhappy.  There are plenty of good jobs out there if you're willing to work hard for a living.
First of all, I want to thank god for giving you all so much, and me so little...

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 04:11:21 AM »
sounds like sleazy is still in high school
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 04:41:00 AM »
i'm going to a kind of university and i love to learn, it's really interesting. 4 years ago (when i passed my a-level/school leaving examination or how you call it i england/america) i would never say something like this. i enjoy learning after 4 years of easy jobs, partying and skatebording.

Universal Remonster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -22
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 05:08:31 AM »

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 07:31:44 AM »
sounds like sleazy is still in high school

I usually descibe it as a being like a church and our bible is the Agile methodologies. They also have a real bad case of Dilbert management there (non tech managers managing tech teams).

Fortunately, for the last month I have been working with this team of programmers they flew in from New Zealand that are from a coporate culture that is more my speed.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 09:43:04 AM »
i love it when pros or doods on this messageboard or whatever say college is useless. the job market is crowded enough the way it is

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • breathmint please
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 10:54:43 AM »
i'm going to a kind of university and i love to learn, it's really interesting.

i dont mind the learning part, its just the people who go to school that piss me off
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

Mentos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 11:47:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i dont mind the learning part, its just the people who go to school that piss me off

Exactly, If anyone goes to high school we all have to deal with idiots found in the myspace thread. But still it's not as hard as supporting a family or paying bills, so really I'm complaining about shit all. Sleazy do you work in communications?

I'm thinking about working in economic/financial sector once I leave school, does anyone have an idea how much it pays?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 12:05:18 PM by Mentos »

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 12:46:29 PM »
School worked out pretty good for me but it's not for everyone. For one thing, if your not going to major in something that is in demand then it might not work out so good, although lots of jobs will hire people with a degree regardless of what it is.

Good on ya Henry for the honesty. My experience has been a mixed bag with honesty and straight talk in the work place but I have to say that even when people don't like what you are telling them they will still respect your candor. I personally get put off by people who try to "talk the talk" and I will frequently shut people down for that kind of thing.

Definitely get a face made at you the first time but never had the same person try and talk shit twice to me.

My job is extremely tech though and I have spent years trying to build my skill set to a level where rules don't apply as much to me as they do to others and I am also playing up on the geek stereotype that is portrayed in the movies. In corporate america, people are so out of touch that they don't really know the difference between geek and skater and I really hate having to hide my personality at work so I have been taking advantage of that. I love that the sales kooks (jocks) think that I'm a introverted geek because it means they don't try and talk to me and will only give me the "did you catch the game?" once by the water cooler.
Not even sure what ya really trying to say but it don't matter to me. Alot of people probably don't like the "new me"
but fuck em. Why would I care? Skating is all dumb rumors and shit talking anyways. I've done what I'm setting out to do even if just one person reads this and gets a little more serious about school.

The reason I mentioned is obvious... up an comers and pros most likely say that same thing about school not being for everyone, which is true, but it's not sending the right message in my opinion.  I'm sick of all the sugar coating and how they portray skating as being so glamorous. It's not and kids should know this. I don't mind using myself as an example and don't care how it makes me look. Notoriety and how I'm viewed for my views means nothing. I've spent half my life riding my skateboard and never made 55k, yet I put in 2 years in school and can potentially get that when I start? My point is, kind of like you were trying describe, it's now easier. I didn't have to dress up for an interview. The skills  spoke for themselves. Life's not great with a whack job and time can catch up to anybody living a carefree life.  So yeah life is a heck of a lot easier if you go to school or get training for something. Having priorities straight at a young age can get anyone further in thier life.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 12:55:00 PM by MAGIK INC GROUPIE »

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • breathmint please
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 02:17:10 PM »
i just bought a school sucks zero shirt cause it totally rox and its true cause school does sux cause my math teacher didnt let me smoke weed in class. what a fuck tart

readsirensoftitan

• Rep: 0
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 02:13:35 AM »
College was fun and I met my fiance there.  Plus now when I scrub toilets for minimum wage I have a wide variety of knowledge to dwell on. 

I would have to vote there is more regret in not going to college than going and not finding a decent job. 

never trust a man without sideburns

Andrew W.K.

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 04:13:35 AM »
Elementary school was the bomb. Foursquare all day

tonycoxhox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
    • journal blog. avatar image
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 04:32:08 AM »
Hey Andrew W.K., do you know whats happening to yourself lately? You are turning down shows, and giving out positiveness and happiness and paradox speaches.

And yeah, school is kind of cool. I just graduated highschool, and got a job. It sucks so bad. I remember school, sitting in class, playing with my pencil and earaser, and looking at upskirts. Sneaking out of school with friends, and buying beer at a vending machine. Work is so crappy.

I'm going to go to college soon so I don't have to get a full time job yet, but I dont know what the hell im going to do when i do have to get one.
"we were going digital, ignoring all but the most core matter from history and focusing on the most complicated structures in order to make our lives more simple, but we could not escape from the cage, the past, and "reality" so we surrendered to short term drug euphoria." - John Albertson (on LSD)

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 08:37:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Exactly, If anyone goes to high school we all have to deal with idiots found in the myspace thread. But still it's not as hard as supporting a family or paying bills, so really I'm complaining about shit all. Sleazy do you work in communications?

I'm thinking about working in economic/financial sector once I leave school, does anyone have an idea how much it pays?

Currently I am in title insuraces. I work at a company that is over 100 years old so you could imagine how old school things can get in an annoying way.

Previously I worked mostly in network security. My favorite job was at a google type company where we worked on network security software that was actually used by missle command, DEA, FBI and even microsoft. It was kind of funny to be working a bug with one of the military branches and be like

"ok, just send me the log files and I will take a look into it..."

and get

"sir those are classified..."

always good for a laugh.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 08:39:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Not even sure what ya really trying to say but it don't matter to me. Alot of people probably don't like the "new me"
but fuck em. Why would I care? Skating is all dumb rumors and shit talking anyways. I've done what I'm setting out to do even if just one person reads this and gets a little more serious about school.

The reason I mentioned is obvious... up an comers and pros most likely say that same thing about school not being for everyone, which is true, but it's not sending the right message in my opinion.  I'm sick of all the sugar coating and how they portray skating as being so glamorous. It's not and kids should know this. I don't mind using myself as an example and don't care how it makes me look. Notoriety and how I'm viewed for my views means nothing. I've spent half my life riding my skateboard and never made 55k, yet I put in 2 years in school and can potentially get that when I start? My point is, kind of like you were trying describe, it's now easier. I didn't have to dress up for an interview. The skills  spoke for themselves. Life's not great with a whack job and time can catch up to anybody living a carefree life.  So yeah life is a heck of a lot easier if you go to school or get training for something. Having priorities straight at a young age can get anyone further in thier life.

Hope I didn't come across wrong Sanch. I think the message you are sending is a great one but I just wanted qualify it with "for something that can make money." School will enrich your life regardless but may as well pick the thing that you like the most that also pays decent so you don't end up another PHD working at a coffee shop in Austin.

ymhy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 09:29:23 AM »
i went to school for a couple years and got burned out on it because i didn't really have a clue what i wanted to do, then worked full time doing a couple various manual labor jobs for about 3 years until i got sick of that and figured out what i knew i didn't want to do.  so i started playing cards to make ends meet.  even so, i don't have so much gamble in me as to try and plan my life around being a professional poker player.  that'd just be a display of bad judgment, just like planning your life around being a pro skater.  it's important to hedge your bets in life by having something to fall back on, which really means credentials or capital to do something else.  i've started going back to school recently to get a degree in accounting and then get a CPA.  the bottom line is money and job security.

fuck dead end jobs, fuck 30k per year salaries, fuck slaving outside in the heat and cold, fuck being the bottom man on the totum pole for the rest of your life.  i got bigger and better plans than that bullshit.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 10:37:12 AM »
Y, I started out as a marketing major and switched to accounting because I was encouraged by my accounting teachers and then also was told that accounting would get you any job you could get with a marketing degrees by a female accountant I met at a porno for pyro's show, but that's another story...

When I got past the intro classes I strated to notice that I didn't really have anything in common with accountants and started to find the work a bit on the boring side. Not trying to discourage you at all but just wanted to share my experience down the same path. I ended up finding my groove in computer science and math. I seemed to have a lot more in common with the metal head, video game freaks from suburbia than I did the accountants.

Also if you go that path you may want to keep the MBA option on the table. Most project managers at my work are MBAs from A&M. I would guess the pay is 80-120k and they basically just organize and keep up with deliverables and schedules.

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • breathmint please
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 10:51:50 AM »
accoutant? not being fun? whats up wid chu?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 11:47:31 AM »
I always skipped the first week or so of class and my first day in junior level accounting I walked in about 15mins late. I had never been to the class before and at the time I was into docs, leather jackets and had long messy hair. Everyone in the class looked like they had been up since 6am, perfect makeup, perfect hair, senior rings blinging, showered, all that shit...

Back then, I used to take my back pack out with me to the bars and just leave it behind the bar and then crash where ever. That day I had slept at some girl I met out at the bars apartment and went straight to class. When I walked in 15mins late all eyes turned towards me. I made my way to a seat and was getting all my stuff out of my bag when I pulled my caculator out. It was covered in vitamin powered from a bottle of vitamins that I had in there over the summer that had spilled open. Anyway, I blew on my calculator and a huge dust cloud came off it. Everyone in the room started laughing and I could tell most of them thought I was joke and in their minds was not going to do too well in the class. It was at that moment that I realized that I wasn't an accountant. Actually a week or so later when a lot of the same people who had given me dirty looks starting asking for help is when it really set in that these aren't the kinds of people that I want to work with.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 12:07:37 PM »
I dropped out of high school, took my GED and ACT in the same week, and tried to join the Army... I couldn't get in because of medical reasons, so I tried the University for a few years (English with a focus on Literature). I switched majors to Digital Design, but then left school completely when I got sucked into the dotcom industry. I love to read, and I love to learn, but I'm just not academic... I don't like learning things in a structured environment, and in some cases I felt like I had spent a whole semester studying something that could have easily been compressed into about two intensive weeks. I wound up getting really lucky over the years, as computer geekery was always a hobby, and now I get to do it full time, and I get to practice every genre of the field day to day (LAN/server admin, graphic designer, videographer, photog, web programmer, Flash developer, etc). There's irony in my situation in that as a high school/college dropout, I work for the government in one of the most powerful branches dealing with higher ed... I don't deal with policy or anything, I have my geek niche, but it's still funny to me.

Anyway, school isn't for everyone, but I think everyone should get a chance to try it and know for sure. I've had a number of close friends who I just knew were going to waste their lives, but went on getting Masters degrees in various fields. Before ever attending school, they were worse slackers/troublemakers than me. Hell, even my girl... she dropped out of high school before I did, and she went on to graduate with honors from the top nursing school in the state (toughest 4-year curriculum of any RN program in the south).

On the flip side, I was always expected to be a graduate because I was into learning... it took me going to college to figure out that I can't work under a semester-by-semester routine. I like learning shit on my own time, but I'm also lucky enough to have a career that put portfolios over academic achievement.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 02:24:53 PM »
I get to practice every genre of the field day to day (LAN/server admin, graphic designer, videographer, photog, web programmer, Flash developer, etc).

hey, you forgot message board moderator!

im not saying anything about school...

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 02:44:52 PM »
I remember that Sleazy and I had a discussion quite a while back about the different skill trades out there.  While some people can handle schooling, it really isn't for everyone.  I couldn't.

A skill trade with a good Union behind it is a way to make a decent wage, and most of the time, you don't have to have any University time at all.  Most of the training is hands-on with specialized classes given by the Union in some cases.  The work can be kinda hard though.

We used to ask potential entry level field installers "how many 16th's in an inch?" as an interview question.  When one dude answered "there must be hundreds of them sumbitches in there", that's when we knew not to hire that guy.