Author Topic: Stay in School...  (Read 13204 times)

Smell Good

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Stay in School...
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »
I'm going to bump this old ass thread because it pertains to my crisis right now.

I've got about 9 or 10 classes left to take before I graduate, so maybe about a year+ ish. I had the notion that getting an accounting degree would be a practical thing that would maybe make it easier for me to get a job than say, history or some such shit.

Right now I'm at the stage where I can change majors laterally (anything within the BBA thing) and it would take me about the same amount of time. I'm realizing that I'm not cut out for accounting. I don't have it in me for this shit.

Thinking about changing to finance or economics. It's making me sick to my stomach that it's come to this. I've spent all this time and money in school and I want that piece of paper to show for it regardless of job prospects.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2013, 05:25:24 PM »
I wouldn't do economics, there are HORDES of econ students out there, and it's hard to get noticed. If I were you I'd finish the accounting but look into a minor. Math/statistics minor along with accounting could set you up for some nice positions in the future, and it'll help you stand out amongst a crowd of applicants (at least, more than just an econ degree would).

Other good option IMO would be programming, maybe look at a computer science minor.

As far as sticking within a BA in bidness, what are your other options? Are all 10 classes within the business school program?

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2013, 05:40:58 PM »
if you can do math at all do comp sci

big money and you can apply it to anything you love, software devs are needed in literally every field

finish your major if you are close to done and nab a minor in compsci while focusing on software dev oriented courses. people often dont wind up working in the field they graduated in when it comes to BA's and its just a good thing to have...

that said im certain there is a huge need for people who can program with a ba in accounting, but I wouldnt want to condemn you to a life of  writing quicktax or some shit  :-*

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2013, 07:51:35 PM »
I talked to an advisor today and had my shit changed to a double major in finance and economics. Don't think I intend to work on those fields but for fuck's sake, I've been in school for years now and I just want to get that piece of paper.

I have plans to go back and get another degree in computer science after this though. I don't think I'll ever be done with school. If only I could go back in time and tell myself to get into comp sci. I was just always intimidated by science and math back then, maybe less these days. 

And you guys are right, a lot of folks don't even work in their college field of study.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »
My wife did a phd in computer science.

It seems to be highly sought after skill in finance. Particularly for strategy, modelling, trading and risk positions.

I wish I'd done a degree like that. But to be honest, I don't think I have the ability.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

colin

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »
I talked to an advisor today and had my shit changed to a double major in finance and economics. Don't think I intend to work on those fields but for fuck's sake, I've been in school for years now and I just want to get that piece of paper.

I have plans to go back and get another degree in computer science after this though. I don't think I'll ever be done with school. If only I could go back in time and tell myself to get into comp sci. I was just always intimidated by science and math back then, maybe less these days. 

And you guys are right, a lot of folks don't even work in their college field of study.

I went to a career center at a local college and took a whole battery of tests during the course of the day - Myers/Briggs; a whole bunch of other stuff I don't remember.
Anyway, the interpretation of the results suggested I would find a career in special education the most rewarding. I wasn't into the results at the time - I was hoping for firefighter or something else - but several years and experiences later, I started school to be a special education teacher. The results were right for me, after all.
I have a BS in Business Administration with an emphasis in management, but fortunately for me, I could go back and get a Master's in Special Education and a Teacher's License all in the same effort. Good Luck in your search. I think being sensitive to intuitive direction is a great gift.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2013, 06:06:49 PM »

Can't speak on high-level sciences, but with math, it's just repetition. As a skateboarder, you'll have a good lens for it, failure it just a means to success. Fail, fail better, succeed shittily, succeed better... etc

SqueezeThePulp

• Rep: 11
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2013, 06:46:34 PM »
lol school, why the fuck would anyone bother wasting their time there?

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2013, 06:49:03 PM »
if you can do math at all do comp sci

big money and you can apply it to anything you love, software devs are needed in literally every field

finish your major if you are close to done and nab a minor in compsci while focusing on software dev oriented courses. people often dont wind up working in the field they graduated in when it comes to BA's and its just a good thing to have...

that said im certain there is a huge need for people who can program with a ba in accounting, but I wouldnt want to condemn you to a life of  writing quicktax or some shit  :-*

don't listen to this nerd all he does is play computer games!!!!

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2013, 06:58:22 PM »
I wonder if ymhy ever got to those bigger and better plans or is still playing online poker to make ends meat.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

kiefersutherland

• Rep: -24
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2013, 10:46:27 AM »
HEY STAY IN SCHOOL MUTHA FUCKAS ESPECIALLY HIGHSCHOOL, DO THAT SHIT, IT KEEPS DOORS OPEN EVEN IF UR NOT READY FOR COLLAGE YET AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO COLLAGE, GO FOR A HIGH DEMAND DEGREE OR A TRADE DEGREE, YOUR BUSINESS DEGREE DOESNT DO SHIT ANYMORE

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »
Also, don't take advice on education from a person who can't spell college correctly. But in this case, said person's advice is actually quite sound.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2013, 12:30:45 PM »
I had a great time at collage.

On a more serious note, even if you get a degree that isn't instantly applicable for your desired career, having a bachelors degree is worth the time and effort. I can't believe dropping out of high school is even an option anymore.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »
I would honestly say if you're in for 2+ years already just ride it out. It wouldn't be worth the amount of money in loans to stop.

I got my degree in Architecture, focusing on design principles, and concentrated on eco-design. It's a fun time, I enjoy doing it, and am currently looking into a postgrad education in it. I don't know if I'd just shoot for a Ph.D or what yet because I don't know what else I would want to do other than what I'm currently doing. It's not bad money, I'm hoping construction and real estate have an upswing here soon.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2013, 06:18:10 PM »
I had a great time at collage.

Pics of your collage book or it didn't happen.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
I would honestly say if you're in for 2+ years already just ride it out. It wouldn't be worth the amount of money in loans to stop.

I got my degree in Architecture, focusing on design principles, and concentrated on eco-design. It's a fun time, I enjoy doing it, and am currently looking into a postgrad education in it. I don't know if I'd just shoot for a Ph.D or what yet because I don't know what else I would want to do other than what I'm currently doing. It's not bad money, I'm hoping construction and real estate have an upswing here soon.
a Ph.D is pretty worthless for architecture, unless you want to go into academia. Masters in Real Estate Development is the only thing I'd consider going back to school for these days.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2013, 12:38:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
a Ph.D is pretty worthless for architecture, unless you want to go into academia. Masters in Real Estate Development is the only thing I'd consider going back to school for these days.
Why I was considering it.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »
 If you have no idea what you like stay in school. It gives you a lot of stimulus and you may like something in the longterm.

If you are sure about what you wanna do ditch it if it is out of school. If you have to do school to pursue that stay, it may be a drag but sometimes we need to do bullshit to do something we like.

I am finishing my diploma in electronic engineering & computer science this year. I would almost quit 2 years ago but fortunately i didnt. The problem is that the program of school is 5 year and sometimes it is too broad and gets boring. I mean i was only interested in a narrow field (electronics-telecommunications) and i had to do all these computer science shit that i almost hated. Programming is a good tool for everyone but i am not interested in being a computer scientist.... Computer science is very boring and repeated after you learn the basics.

Anyway i am 6 courses and a thesis away from graduating and even if i had a bad time i can say it worthed it.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2021, 02:35:31 AM »
Semester just started here. 1 week down. Would love to hear about your experience. Anybody taking classes? If you're in community college, where do you want to transfer to? What are you studying? Back on campus or still fully online? What's the name of the system your school uses? Be interested to hear if Canvas is used in different states. 

One of my classes is super awkward. Everybody sets camera off. Professor separates us into breakout rooms with 4 people. Everytime, half the people don't even talk or say anything. Feel bad for kids going to college for the first time. Such a strange isolated experience   

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2021, 07:04:22 AM »
dropped out with 1 semester left a few years ago. i was doing well though on the deans list consecutively while smoking a pack a day and drinking every night. over it

mushroom slice

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2021, 07:49:33 AM »
Travel. See the world.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2021, 09:13:38 AM »
dropped out with 1 semester left a few years ago. i was doing well though on the deans list consecutively while smoking a pack a day and drinking every night. over it

What was your major? You can always go back one day if you want. Never too late

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2021, 04:55:12 AM »
bizniz. nothing grand especially as an adult student but i was busting my ass. my profs loved me though some of them were kind. went to get tea with 1 of them and he wanted me to mentor his son and shit but i didnt. another prof wrote a reference letter to the courts for me lmao. at 20 i initially went to chef school after working in a kitchen for a few years

Loki700

« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2021, 09:57:06 AM »
Semester just started here. 1 week down. Would love to hear about your experience. Anybody taking classes? If you're in community college, where do you want to transfer to? What are you studying? Back on campus or still fully online? What's the name of the system your school uses? Be interested to hear if Canvas is used in different states. 

One of my classes is super awkward. Everybody sets camera off. Professor separates us into breakout rooms with 4 people. Everytime, half the people don't even talk or say anything. Feel bad for kids going to college for the first time. Such a strange isolated experience
College was fun.  I do miss it sometimes, but I’d do a lot differently still I think.  I’d like to go back but the cost while I’m still paying off my undergrad loans is making me hesitant.

We used blackboard when I went, but my wife teaches high school here in Wisconsin and I’m fairly certain they use Canvas.  Same with my dad’s middle school down in Illinois.

What are you thinking of majoring in, if you haven’t chosen already?
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2021, 08:49:43 PM »
I recently got disqualified from a senior paralegal job in a school district because I didn't have a paralegal certificate. It was frustrating but I applied to another company in the private sector and they offered me a role with a higher title just based off my experience. Just gotta keep pushing, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 09:14:43 PM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"