Author Topic: Mental Health Issues  (Read 39601 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Mental Health Issues
« Reply #270 on: March 09, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »
u have to be 35

ill b 35 in april

35 was a strong year for me.

Can be for you too. Never know
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

burtreynolds.jpeg

« Reply #271 on: March 10, 2020, 07:10:53 AM »
I've hit a tipping point:

1. Having a bunch of dental work done is bumming me out.
2. I've been super stressed out trying to find a new job, particularly one that I'll be interested in.
3. Been sick a couple of times this year and I have an autoimmune disease. The Coronavirus outbreak has me really sketched out about traveling and now I'm really afraid of getting sick again.
4. Continuing on point 3, I am about to lose my health insurance in 2 months which has me really worried.
5. I'm just kinda spiraling into this spell of depression and it's getting hard for me to enjoy skating, or even seeing friends.

All of this is very overwhelming and I can't help but think things aren't going to go up. If anyone has any advice on these things, I would greatly appreciate it.

drewsmahgoos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #272 on: March 10, 2020, 08:23:54 AM »
I've hit a tipping point:

1. Having a bunch of dental work done is bumming me out.
2. I've been super stressed out trying to find a new job, particularly one that I'll be interested in.
3. Been sick a couple of times this year and I have an autoimmune disease. The Coronavirus outbreak has me really sketched out about traveling and now I'm really afraid of getting sick again.
4. Continuing on point 3, I am about to lose my health insurance in 2 months which has me really worried.
5. I'm just kinda spiraling into this spell of depression and it's getting hard for me to enjoy skating, or even seeing friends.

All of this is very overwhelming and I can't help but think things aren't going to go up. If anyone has any advice on these things, I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't have much in terms of advice. Other than try not to worry about the health insurance. Medical debt is the number one cause of bankruptcy in america. It's something so many people struggle with. I refuse to pay any of it. Any time I have applied for anything with a credit check and that debt was mentioned, I was met with sympathy, empathy, and understanding. No one really expects you to pay it. Just don't. Also, try to get medicaid. It's not impossible. If you can't get it and you're going to get an obamacare fine, file a domestic abuse exemption. It's the only obamacare exemption that doesn't require proof. Domestic abuse is a loose statement and can mean whatever. I filed every year that I would have been fined and I have been exempted, no questions asked, because of the domestic abuse thing.

Fuck the US healthcare system.

Also, PM me if you want to chat/need to talk to someone. I'm on here a lot, like everyday and if you need to talk to someone so you don't hurt yourself, pm me and I swear I'll respond as soon as I see it. This goes for anyone. I've tried to off myself and was in a coma from it. I've experienced serious addiction, incarceration, mental health shit, the whole nine yards. I'm sure I could relate to anyone if they're struggling so don't fuck yourself over. Reach out if you need help and I'll do my best.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #273 on: March 10, 2020, 10:27:43 AM »
saw a therapist for the first time about a week ago, going to see him again tomorrow. been in a rut, moved to a new area, stuck in a dead end cleaning job, want to go back to school but the decision on what to study has me completely frozen. I don't want to waste money going in a direction i'll hate, which ties into this perfectionism i have, where i need everything to be planned out to a T for any scenario. it makes meeting new people incredibly stressful, and when i was unemployed, applying for any job required me to gird my loins and psych myself up for battle every time.

from what my therapist has seemed to hint at, my dad's angry outbursts and short fuse (and somewhat frequent absences due to traveling for work) when i was a kid probably contributed a lot to all of this. then i blew some fuses doing too much acid in my early twenties, so now i just feel hyper aware all of the time.

but what can a therapist really do in this situation? i've pretty much reasoned through most of the roots of my problems, and i get that talking to another person is helpful, but i've  worn these lines in my brain pretty well as far as anxiety and panic goes, and i don't think talking will really help. i'm thinking about trying to get medicated.

has anyone here seen a career counselor?
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #274 on: March 16, 2020, 02:53:21 PM »
proud of you butterballs for trying out therapy, dude. its not always an easy step. i dont think therapy and medication are mutually exclusive, and as a random guy on the internet I would encourage you to try both at the same time. fwiw, talk therapy (especially Cognitive Behavioral Therapy among others) is incredibly helpful in doing exactly that: rewiring your brain to move away from all the ingrained negative associations.

There is a tight cycle between thoughts, feelings, and actions. In addition to anti-depressants making me feel better on the daily (e.g. less trouble getting out of bed in the morning), CBT helped me with stopping this cycle at thoughts. If I think I am a failure, imposter, or just a horrible fellow human, it taught me to insert "hey, what if I'm not a horrible person? what about all these little things and times where i made others and myself happy?" before i start feeling that way, and prevent actions that arise from them.

After all those years of self-loathing and perceived inadequacy, my social anxiety and depression wiring is still there, and I wouldn't call myself "cured." However, it is undeniable that it feels great to have an active role in stopping those cycles too. Realizing this direct connection and giving your mind some power over your feelings and actions is, redundantly, incredibly empowering.

And finally: No, sorry, haven't seen a career counselor lol. Wishing you the best tho
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Grind King Rims

« Reply #275 on: March 16, 2020, 03:19:18 PM »
Didn't expect therapy to be that difficult. Went to 2 sessions and then bailed. The guy was kind of weird, I should go again with someone new, but it was more exhausting than I expected.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #276 on: March 16, 2020, 03:22:34 PM »
Didn't expect therapy to be that difficult. Went to 2 sessions and then bailed. The guy was kind of weird, I should go again with someone new, but it was more exhausting than I expected.

Agree on all counts. It is absolutely okay to "shop" for therapists. Once the two of you click, it will make a huge difference.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Grind King Rims

« Reply #277 on: March 16, 2020, 03:35:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agree on all counts. It is absolutely okay to "shop" for therapists. Once the two of you click, it will make a huge difference.

Thanks, I agree. My housemate told me the same thing. I'll start going again sooner or later because I did learn a little about myself in those two sessions, but I didn't really like the dude, so...

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #278 on: March 16, 2020, 04:25:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks, I agree. My housemate told me the same thing. I'll start going again sooner or later because I did learn a little about myself in those two sessions, but I didn't really like the dude, so...
YES. Not all therapists are the same and some can be wrong for you and give you added anxiety. Keep looking til you find the right one. Best of luck

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #279 on: March 16, 2020, 06:33:21 PM »
It takes me months to trust therapists.

New dudes make mistakes. If you tell them too much violence they want to make difference. Assume some shit like they psychic and boom jobs gone apartments gone pets and skate are hopefully taken care of.

Shop around but it takes time to create trust and that's what it's about.

Someone who you can listen to the homicidal rage I subdue with manny pads and pills that make the tricks harder.

It's a balancing act
(A)pl(E)

balde67

• Rep: 0
« Reply #280 on: March 31, 2020, 06:08:57 PM »
I was suffering from health anxiety for some time. I got scared everytime, I got some pains, like it is some serious issues but its not usually, Thank God. I advise you to get some help from a Life coach who is ICF certified. It is not necassary for you to always seek help from a psychiatrist for your mental issues. Sometimes, you should do some self discovery with the help of a person who helps you to find about yourself and ultimately to the inner peace without any anti depressants.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #281 on: March 31, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »
I was gonna bump this thread today. Quarantine, unemployment, closed gyms, and fear of a killer virus are not great for my brain. I’m sure I’m not alone. Haven’t had a panic attack for a long time but I been close the last couple days. It’s dope how panic/anxiety give you shortness of breath and other symptoms to convince you you’re dying of various things. Is it Covid or a panic attack or both? Stay tuned.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #282 on: March 31, 2020, 07:26:17 PM »
stress can actually make you sick. for me through this it was stomach issues, tension headaches, paranoia, fatigue, etc. covid is more to do with lungs. trying to get exercise, trying cold showers, trying to sleep (although have insomnia) and breath/meditate.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 34
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #283 on: March 31, 2020, 10:00:00 PM »
I was gonna bump this thread today. Quarantine, unemployment, closed gyms, and fear of a killer virus are not great for my brain. I’m sure I’m not alone. Haven’t had a panic attack for a long time but I been close the last couple days. It’s dope how panic/anxiety give you shortness of breath and other symptoms to convince you you’re dying of various things. Is it Covid or a panic attack or both? Stay tuned.

Right there with you. Ive been in self quarantine for 30+ days and I've been having a lot more thoughts about killing myself lately. Not really sure what to do since I can't see my therapist and can't really get help as i'm immunocompromised. Just don't see the point when this is obviously going to affect the world so drastically for so long. My work just told me our teleworking is getting extended until at least june 30th. I don't think i can do three more months of being inside an apartment with no contact with the outside. There's just no point.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #284 on: March 31, 2020, 10:20:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Right there with you. Ive been in self quarantine for 30+ days and I've been having a lot more thoughts about killing myself lately. Not really sure what to do since I can't see my therapist and can't really get help as i'm immunocompromised. Just don't see the point when this is obviously going to affect the world so drastically for so long. My work just told me our teleworking is getting extended until at least june 30th. I don't think i can do three more months of being inside an apartment with no contact with the outside. There's just no point.

Ask if you can talk them on FaceTime or zoom or the phone. I know the other side of this too because my sister and mother in law are therapists and they’re all trying to be available remotely. They’re worried about getting laid off and want work.

Yes there is a point. This shit will pass and 3 months ain’t that long. Read a book or get a prison workout going. I’m drunk so not in a position to give any pep talk but DM me anytime. I’ll have better advice sober.

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 34
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #285 on: March 31, 2020, 10:37:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ask if you can talk them on FaceTime or zoom or the phone. I know the other side of this too because my sister and mother in law are therapists and they’re all trying to be available remotely. They’re worried about getting laid off and want work.

Yes there is a point. This shit will pass and 3 months ain’t that long. Read a book or get a prison workout going. I’m drunk so not in a position to give any pep talk but DM me anytime. I’ll have better advice sober.

Did you read the official report that they posted? They're expecting it to go on and off for 12-18 more months. I feel super anxious on video honestly. That shit freaks me out. I don't even post myself online. I appreciate the sentiment though.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #286 on: April 01, 2020, 12:00:57 AM »

Truman Show

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:03:44 AM by Banned from the room »
(A)pl(E)

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #287 on: April 01, 2020, 03:49:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Did you read the official report that they posted? They're expecting it to go on and off for 12-18 more months. I feel super anxious on video honestly. That shit freaks me out. I don't even post myself online. I appreciate the sentiment though.

I know it can be very daunting. Try to just get through your day bud. Like don't stress 3 months from now. Even without going outside, your house could burn down in a month or whatever and you might be dead. Sounds depressing but it's not, just trying to put things in perspective. Just try to get through your day and worry about 3 months from now in 3 months. I know it's way easier said than done. Do you have anyone you can talk to? You can straight up PM me, I'll give you my number and you can call me if you're really feeling like you might lose your shit. We don't even have to talk about depression or any shit like that. I'll just chat with you if you need to talk to someone.

Ultimately it's your decision to off yourself and I'm a firm believer in respecting those rights but at the same time, I would really really appreciate it if you reached out to me or someone else on here first. We may not have the same issues but I've been as low as you are now and I know how shitty it is and I have really hurt myself because of that and you straight up don't deserve it. Just pm me if you want. No pressure though.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #288 on: April 26, 2020, 10:30:05 PM »
Figured it was a fitting enough time to bump this thread. How have you guys been holding up this month so far mentally? This whole situation has me feeling very anxious, hopeless and alone. I'm forced to spend more time with family now due to the lockdown and it's only highlighted how much of an outcast I am to them.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #289 on: April 27, 2020, 11:28:37 AM »
I know i'm not in prison. But being unhinged from the usual reference points in life is still difficult to deal with. Was really aiming for this year to be one where I really made some moves forward towards a meaningful goal or purpose in life, or to forge a new beginning of sorts. Now that the future is somewhat uncertain I feel stuck in limbo. Keep forgetting to take my SSRI meds a few days at a time. I'm up late until about 5am and don't feel like pursuing much when I finally rise around lunch.

Bata

• Rep: -72
« Reply #290 on: April 27, 2020, 11:49:24 AM »
I like to get up super early like 4am and then nap in the day around 2pm. I never need the nap but take it a lot of times anyway. Smoking weed all morning makes napping super easy.

I feel legitimately compelled to share my degenerate strategies but really can't condone my lifestyle.

My ideal day is wake up half drunk at 4am, smoke weed instantly, post a bunch of dumb shit online while drinking coffee and baileys, shower at some point mostly for the warm water, eat a bunch of food, get drunk in the middle of the day and bitch about shoes online, drink more, smoke more, eat more, repeat.

You have the option to day drink and smoke because no one has real responsibilities other than people with small children or sick parents. You already know the things you like just do them. 

Bata

• Rep: -72
« Reply #291 on: April 27, 2020, 11:53:06 AM »
Even with all this dumb shit going on I'm still left with my same regular questions to the universe.

How fast can a human get 120 stars in Super Mario 64?

What would the ultimate monosynth look like?

Would it be possible to build a full size inverted Giza pyramid that looks like its standing on it's tip?

Nothing really changes with a pandemic you just need more creative excuses on why you aren't inside your house. Cops are fuckin dumb if I had any friends at all I'd be out doing whatever not letting this bullshit get to me. They can't ticket everyone.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #292 on: April 27, 2020, 03:06:14 PM »
Smoke a hit of weed crack
Do a kick flip

And so on
(A)pl(E)

Grind King Rims

« Reply #293 on: May 14, 2020, 02:45:55 PM »
Self harmed today for the first time in a long time. Things have been not super chill lately.

Krile

• Rep: -91
  • I train moogles
« Reply #294 on: May 14, 2020, 03:54:11 PM »
I'd try to offer some advice but have no idea who you are or what your story is. Try to forgive yourself i guess would be my advice.
I'm normally against vibing and the like but Idk anymore with these perved out anime kids. Now I think we need to go back to robbing kids boards at gunpoint if they show up to the spot. Wheres young Stevi

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #295 on: May 14, 2020, 04:03:34 PM »
I'm no scientist but regarding psychological disorders I hear strong anecdotal evidence for the therapeutic efficacy of hookers & blow.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #296 on: May 14, 2020, 07:06:24 PM »
RAW FRUIT DIET

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Dead to Me

• Rep: 74
« Reply #297 on: May 15, 2020, 09:07:09 AM »
Has anyone here ever had any success with achieving solid sleeping habits ? This has been a struggle since high school and I've been trying to address that over the past few years.

Krile

• Rep: -91
  • I train moogles
« Reply #298 on: May 15, 2020, 09:41:36 AM »
i set my schedule based on when I want to wake up which is typically super early like between 3-5 in the morning. I know I need about 7 hours of sleep to not be grumpy so I just crash 7 hours before I want to wake up and it usually works out ok. I sleep in the day randomly like a cat which helps a lot with my extremely fucked up mood disorder.

If I had any sort of normal job or responsibilities or social life it probably wouldn't work but I don't so whatever
I'm normally against vibing and the like but Idk anymore with these perved out anime kids. Now I think we need to go back to robbing kids boards at gunpoint if they show up to the spot. Wheres young Stevi

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #299 on: May 15, 2020, 09:56:09 AM »
Has anyone here ever had any success with achieving solid sleeping habits ? This has been a struggle since high school and I've been trying to address that over the past few years.

I put on an eyemask and earplugs when I go to bed. Even if I'm not drowsy, I usually fall asleep quickly under the sensory deprivation. I also sleep with a window open to get a good inflow of fresh air. Game-changing stuff.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20