Author Topic: Mental Health Issues  (Read 39122 times)

Bagelskate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 62
Re: Mental Health Issues
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 06:52:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone try yoga to calm yourself?
[close]

Yeah, man. I also think it has made me stronger and more flexible overall. I just follow along with youtube videos, though. I could probably benefit from going to a class.

Thanks man. I’m gonna give it a shot

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 07:31:36 AM »
Expand Quote
I’ve always dealt with depression/anxiety. Which is barely manageable considering how much I drink (down to 40 beers and a fifth of whiskey a week). I tried offing myself back when I was 17, drank a bunch of beers and took around 30 MucinexDMs hoping that i’d go out tripping or at least blissed out. A lot of my friends/family still think I just didnt understand that mixing those pills and alcohol would cause me too die (flatlined twice in the ambulance). But I knew exactly what I was doing. My folks still hold it against me which hurts. Ive only ever asked for money once but anytime I bring up financial trouble they hit me with “Were never giving you money after your stunt, you’ve costed us enough”. Its totally fair but that shit cuts deep. None of them want to acknowledge what actually happened unless they’re drunk. Then they just keep calling me a selfish coward. They aren’t exactly wrong but its still painful to hear from your family.

Sorry for the overshare.

A really good friend of mine who I never expected to suffer from depression once told me “You aren’t worthless and you need to stick around. You just have a chemical imbalance in your brain that’s trying to tell you otherwise. Don’t listen to that.”
[close]
  Fuck ur family.  They sound like cocks dude.  I hope good things for you and from ur post it sounds like you def have the potential ( cept for the booze intake)  just believe its possible.   Thats a sincere/hopefully not too wack pep talk. Good luck.

They aren’t as bad as im painting them out to be but yeah it can be gnarly. I appreciate the good words and im weaning off the alcohol slowly.

Compared to alot of people I probably have amazing parents.

Im just the odd one in the family that would like to just be dead and done with it all.

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »
Anyone have any experience with treating some of these issues with mushrooms? I've read about them having significant benefits but it also seems risky.

element4life

• Rep: 7
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2019, 11:00:38 AM »
If you don't experience anxiety, depression, and paranoia in today's social climate you are probably braindead. Trippin over these natural feelings probably just makes them worse.

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2019, 02:03:54 PM »
Dealt with panic disorder, major depressive disorder and PTSD for the last two decades. I've always tried to hide it and have friends but its fuckin draining. I don't take anything for it (tried all kinds of shit) but if I could take oxy or heroin without consequences I think Id be happier. When I was prescribed oxy I was a pretty happy dude and much easier to be around. Thats no bullshit either.

chris gentryfied

• Rep: -86
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2019, 02:56:55 PM »
to Ned Ludd, i mentioned on the other page but i used mushrooms to kick dope and prescribed some to my little brother. you gotta go through the dark to hit the light so if you don't let the mushrooms tell you why you suck and how to change it, you never will. in comparison to the dark ages or holodomor or potato genocide or WW2 or great depression or any other time in history, we've got it pretty easy.
media will spook you but we're not doing that fucking bad ergo our problems are in our head. trust, i say this from my experience too, i overdosed over 10 x in my heyday, puked in my own lungs on a portland sidewalk, aspirated, just courted death wicked hard. i couldn't see ahead too well but i will say, you hit 30 almost ironically. then you hit 40 and it's all a gas.
mushrooms will put you up on game but it's up to you to adapt your behaviors.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2019, 05:06:21 PM »
Ya know people have ideas about how things came to be. But i wonder how integral conditions labeled as shcitsoprenia and the like have been to humankinds survival,well being, happieness and advancement (or possibly destruction).  If ssris get so good and all the visions and voices get wiped away that make up a part of mass conciousness (visions and voices that have been there since ever since) -that would be like playing god with our natural development in at least one sense, no?   Like, who or what's really sick here?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 05:26:27 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2019, 05:28:53 PM »
to Ned Ludd, i mentioned on the other page but i used mushrooms to kick dope and prescribed some to my little brother. you gotta go through the dark to hit the light so if you don't let the mushrooms tell you why you suck and how to change it, you never will. in comparison to the dark ages or holodomor or potato genocide or WW2 or great depression or any other time in history, we've got it pretty easy.
media will spook you but we're not doing that fucking bad ergo our problems are in our head. trust, i say this from my experience too, i overdosed over 10 x in my heyday, puked in my own lungs on a portland sidewalk, aspirated, just courted death wicked hard. i couldn't see ahead too well but i will say, you hit 30 almost ironically. then you hit 40 and it's all a gas.
mushrooms will put you up on game but it's up to you to adapt your behaviors.

This is pretty spot on.

Just doing mushrooms isnt really gonna change shit. You need to be prepped for a altercation with yourself as to why your blowing it, and go in with a gameplan. Because mushrooms will kick your ass if you aren't prepared to change and own up. It's like getting called out on every shitty thing you've ever done in your life all at once.

Now keep in mind I'm talking about some "heroic" dosages here.

3 grams isnt likely to change your life, but 5-7 grams probably will

Gentleman ninja warlock

thomas kook

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2019, 05:35:06 PM »
i shed a few tears reading this thread i'm sorry

it's very late and i've been feeling unwell but for some reason knowing that my fellow talkers about skateboarding online go through the same stuff really makes a difference somehow. i
obviously didn't start this thread but i still want to say i really appreciate every one of you who shared their story and i hope we can all hang around and enjoy at least some of the things in life. i really hope so

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2019, 06:00:22 PM »
if anyone here, poster or lurkers, needs someone to talk to - don't hesitate to hit up my inbox.
always down to listen and talk it out.

mental health is no joke. take care of yourself bros.
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »
As heavy of a subject mental health can be, I think it's cool that there's a space like this where there's so many folks willing to open up about their struggles. Even if it is on a skateboarding forum where most of us don't actually know each other.

Whether it means anything to anyone or not, my inbox is also open if anyone wants to talk. Even if you just need to get stuff off your chest and have someone just hear it. You're not alone.

JohnnySaintLethal

• Rep: 13
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2019, 07:43:43 PM »
The therapist I emailed hasn’t gotten back to me in 5 days now and I’m kinda bummed about that.

I’m thinking about going to just a primary care doctor and asking them for help. I haven’t had a doctor in years. ever since I was off my parents insurance I never bothered to find a doctor. Even while I was on th one I went to as a kid closed when I was like 16. So I haven’t been to a doctor in a long ass time. If something’s fucked up I just go to an urgent care.

I feel like they would at least be able to point me in the direction of a psych that will either accept my insurance or care for me there, not sure.

I’ve been just raw dogging depression/anxiety for at least 10 years and possibly bipolar for the last 3 from what I’ve gathered on it.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
Even though I've got issues myself, I'm always game to talk too.

Sometimes its nice to have an ear from someone that understands from a similar prospective/experience

Shalom

Not even fuckin joking. Since this shalom started on slap, the wife and I use it to calm each other down when were wound up

Slap heals, shalom saves
Gentleman ninja warlock

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2019, 01:33:06 AM »
Dealt with panic disorder, major depressive disorder and PTSD for the last two decades. I've always tried to hide it and have friends but its fuckin draining. I don't take anything for it (tried all kinds of shit) but if I could take oxy or heroin without consequences I think Id be happier. When I was prescribed oxy I was a pretty happy dude and much easier to be around. Thats no bullshit either.
  Wow you sound like a junky just b4 they turn into a junky.   Fuck 'oxy' dude, get a grip! Edit im just TRYING to be harsh to save you in case ur slipping into opiates my guy.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 03:05:49 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Black Frycook

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2019, 02:21:15 AM »
I've been struggling with anxiety for as long as I can remember. It's fucking debilitating at times but lately I've been trying to find healthy ways to cope instead of just chugging brews and smoking blunts all day. Living a healthier lifestyle has helped me tremendously but I still have bad days. Anyone reading this who struggles with any kind of mental health problems just know you're not alone. Shalom

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2019, 05:54:15 AM »
  Wow i just met a woman from England who i think was working well paid actress or somthing along those lines who then turned into a black out drunk on the streets.  Shes now an addiction therapist an i could have listened to her the whole afternoon.  Anyway the thing in the world she thinks is the most insane is mediocracy, from the impression i got from her it was easy to belive.  I told her it felt like i had met royalty.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 06:14:29 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

chris gentryfied

• Rep: -86
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2019, 05:58:50 PM »
my gf diagnosed me w/ narcissistic personality. thinks that's why i take unpopular stands and argue them to the detriment of relationships. i said enough about that, do i look good in this hat?

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2019, 05:05:38 PM »
yeah today I had a decent day, no real bad thoughts. I know when others read my bs threads it seems I've got a shitload screw's loose however it is a good writing exercise of both wit and ir

there's not a day I don't think about ending it, not because I am selfish it just sucks when idle thought's worm in your mind and create self doubt (no matter what anyone has said it has been ingrained since time I could remember). some would say get a job yeah I do have one and it sucks when you are working and next hing you know you've blanked out 2 hours of your day.
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2019, 06:01:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
  Wow you sound like a junky just b4 they turn into a junky.   Fuck 'oxy' dude, get a grip! Edit im just TRYING to be harsh to save you in case ur slipping into opiates my guy.

Good look dude. I appreciate it

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2019, 01:12:31 PM »
Anybody here fuck with electroconvulsive therapy? My psychiatrist is telling me that I should go for it. If anyone has done ECT please tell me about your experience.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Dustwardprez

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2019, 01:39:19 PM »
i'm more DIY about mental health and anything else but i took some mushrooms in 2016 and they convinced me to stop doing dope and help my ma pay her mortgage. then i gave some to my brother when he got out of jail for home invasion and tried to get him on the same page. he's thriving now so a lot of it is as stated by VHS or someone, eating right, drinking water, excercise and not taking poisons. just healthy living and getting away from the bad life will go a long ways. sometimes you need that epiphany and you could almost chalk up my mushroom stories to more drug talk except there's rich junkies paying big dollars to go to Peru and take ayuhasca w/ a medicine man.
w/out ingesting poisons or traumas to trigger your illness, you can live normal. some people take medicine for it, i'm wicked averse to it but don't listen to me. if you feel better, god bless. there's more than one road to Boston as they say.

Preach

Dustwardprez

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2019, 02:05:51 PM »
Chris Gentrified why can’t I send pm you

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2019, 02:19:16 PM »
Ive had crippling anxiety since I can remember. I have a xanex prescription but i try to only use it if im in a car for long or a plane. Ive fought depression on an off for the past 10 years and finally saw for help with it almost a year ago. I was crying non stopped and couldnt predict how bad it would be and when. Ive been taking Lexapro for the past 8 months and it was the best decision ive ever made. Could have hoestly saved my life.

Every morning i struggle with a panic attack (or anytime im leaving my apartment honestly) but i have some weird ways to get me out of the door and usually stay calm.

1- i sit on the toilet and try to poop. If or if i dont poop isnt even the point, it just the fact i tried that eases my mind so i dont have to worry about shitting my pants or something insane that wouldnt happen anyway. No idea why but in my 27 years, its a habit i stress out over the thought of doing away with. Somehow im engaged, because yeah pooping all of the time somehow doesn't impress girls much.

2- i have an app called Headspace. Its mediation and breathing techniques. I only use this mid panic attack or if i have alot to do in the morning and feel overwhelmed the night of.

3- CBD. i used cbd every morning and can honestly feel the difference.

4- Ice bonggggggg. Doesn't have to be an ice bong, but i smoke to ease my mind at night just because i stress out so much its a good way to just knock myself out.

5- Talk about how i feel. In the past i was more awkward than i am currently somehow and thats because i would lie about my anxiety, weird fear of simple things and depression. Im overly annoying now to my friends about how i feel and it takes all of the pressure of having to seem normal off.

6- familiar cologne. Suppppper weird, but i find good scents as a way to bring me back to the ground when i start getting carried away with anxiety. just a random whiff of a shirt with a good sent on it can sometimes pull me out of whatever funk i was in.

7- Not drinking/ eating better. I fuck this one up constantly, but if my depression worsens after a night of drinking or eating like a dumpster i can usually calm myself down and bring the attention to the fact its a result of the night before and that im not just bugging out for no reason. Still sucks, but knowing why your in a funk is always a plus.

8- I started going to the gym to lose some weight before my wedding next year and im surprising myself with how relaxing running or lifting could be. Ive also gotten super into painting. Pretty much just expanding hobbies and trying weird projects I can do on my own out.

Im sure theres more, but its cool to try to remind your self everyone is a freak and we all do weird things to get by.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:23:21 PM by tension »
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2019, 02:21:31 PM »
ive also bailed from social media for over the past month and i can say though super out of the loop, its super refreshing and calming to not have something to do every god damn second. I have WAY more free time than i could even wrap my head around. Its gross how often i was on my phone. I try to paint or skate daily for a little longer in replacement for lack of instagram.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2019, 02:26:18 PM »
Anybody here fuck with electroconvulsive therapy? My psychiatrist is telling me that I should go for it. If anyone has done ECT please tell me about your experience.

My grand father said he enjoyed it. He was trying to take his own life a lot.
It’s a problem in my family across the board.

He said it felt as good as sex and it had positive effects up into his late 80s.
In his late 80s he became very paranoid. I was one of the people to visit him daily.

He was my best friend and he supported my skating visited me in prison the hospital and helped me learn to walk again when I was 21.
He also after the treatments would buy me paint and ask me to do a piece at the legal wall. He was close to 70.

The treatments made him not less racist too

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2019, 02:31:10 PM »
Anyones seasonal allergies intensify depression/ have any good leads on how to make that chill the fuck out? God damn some mornings in the spring/ summer are almost impossible.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2019, 03:03:27 AM »
Anyones seasonal allergies intensify depression/ have any good leads on how to make that chill the fuck out? God damn some mornings in the spring/ summer are almost impossible.
Yeah dude. On top of the nonstop runny nose that I have all year, during this time I have a terrible cough at night which makes it harder to sleep. The sleep apnea doesn't help either. Straight up, breathing, laying down, and sleeping are actual burdens for me. When I'm not working, I'm still fucking working. Holy shit, I hate everything. Why the fuck did I have to be born? I gotta man up and off myself already. I should go take out the biggest loan I can get, quit my job, go on a trip to Thailand, bang hookers, do drugs, come back home, buy a gun and end it.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2019, 04:23:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah dude. On top of the nonstop runny nose that I have all year, during this time I have a terrible cough at night which makes it harder to sleep. The sleep apnea doesn't help either. Straight up, breathing, laying down, and sleeping are actual burdens for me. When I'm not working, I'm still fucking working. Holy shit, I hate everything. Why the fuck did I have to be born? I gotta man up and off myself already. I should go take out the biggest loan I can get, quit my job, go on a trip to Thailand, bang hookers, do drugs, come back home, buy a gun and end it.

Shit.  uh.  Thats gonna mess with others tho.  I hope you live ur life out and have special moments to come.

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2019, 05:39:02 AM »
Didn’t know this thread existed, good on you for bringing these issues up, some people have no idea.

About 2 years ago my dad died of a massive stroke right in front of me and I couldn’t do shit to help him. Always had anxiety/depression to some degree but this experience kicked it to a whole new level and I ended up being diagnosed with PTSD. Constant stress and trying to look after everyone around me except myself led to multiple issues I’ve been trying to sort out. The psych I saw said my score for the mental health test was so low it was impacting my immune system. I already had to take off 4 months off skating right when my dad died due to a torn muscle on my hip, then a couple of months later I started get crazy stomach pains/diarrhoea 24/7 which lasted about 6 months, this shit was crippling. Had 2 weeks free of that and then I had a bout of chronic sinusitis which I’ve been dealing with since, just had surgery on my nose a few days ago. On top of all this everything got too much at work and I snapped and quit because I was having panic attacks about my health and random shit everyday, plus a few trips to the ER with what I thought were heart attacks which were just panic attacks.

Trying my best to get through this guys but it’s so damn hard, all I want to do is get out there and skate my ass off before I really can’t do it anymore (I’m 31). I’ve thought about ending it so much but I could never bring myself to do it to my Mum, she has lost my Dad and I think it would be so unfair to do that again to her...

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2019, 08:20:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tension: I take loratadine (I believe it's generic claritin) every day, even if I'm not feeling the allergies. I generally take it at night so I don't wake up congested. I also got one of those nealmed sinus rinse bottles, and I find that helps reduce blockage/sinus pressure. Make sure to use distilled water, or else it burns.

Horseman: When did you find out about your sleep apnea? Are you receiving treatment?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:25:09 AM by SHIREFLIP »