Author Topic: Mental Health Issues  (Read 39123 times)

blurst_of_times

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
Re: Mental Health Issues
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2019, 08:28:31 AM »
Anybody here fuck with electroconvulsive therapy? My psychiatrist is telling me that I should go for it. If anyone has done ECT please tell me about your experience.
I haven't had it but I have a friend who's having it done to him today. I'll let you know how he feels afterwards
Edit: my bad, it's electromagnetic therapy which involves three big magnets. Or is that what ECT is?
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2019, 08:33:07 AM »
mArLeY

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »
Didn’t know this thread existed, good on you for bringing these issues up, some people have no idea.

About 2 years ago my dad died of a massive stroke right in front of me and I couldn’t do shit to help him. Always had anxiety/depression to some degree but this experience kicked it to a whole new level and I ended up being diagnosed with PTSD. Constant stress and trying to look after everyone around me except myself led to multiple issues I’ve been trying to sort out. The psych I saw said my score for the mental health test was so low it was impacting my immune system. I already had to take off 4 months off skating right when my dad died due to a torn muscle on my hip, then a couple of months later I started get crazy stomach pains/diarrhoea 24/7 which lasted about 6 months, this shit was crippling. Had 2 weeks free of that and then I had a bout of chronic sinusitis which I’ve been dealing with since, just had surgery on my nose a few days ago. On top of all this everything got too much at work and I snapped and quit because I was having panic attacks about my health and random shit everyday, plus a few trips to the ER with what I thought were heart attacks which were just panic attacks.

Trying my best to get through this guys but it’s so damn hard, all I want to do is get out there and skate my ass off before I really can’t do it anymore (I’m 31). I’ve thought about ending it so much but I could never bring myself to do it to my Mum, she has lost my Dad and I think it would be so unfair to do that again to her...

I can relate to your story. I have no valuable insight, but I hope things improve. I also hope you are able to have some time to rest and heal since quitting your job.

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2019, 10:07:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Didn’t know this thread existed, good on you for bringing these issues up, some people have no idea.

About 2 years ago my dad died of a massive stroke right in front of me and I couldn’t do shit to help him. Always had anxiety/depression to some degree but this experience kicked it to a whole new level and I ended up being diagnosed with PTSD. Constant stress and trying to look after everyone around me except myself led to multiple issues I’ve been trying to sort out. The psych I saw said my score for the mental health test was so low it was impacting my immune system. I already had to take off 4 months off skating right when my dad died due to a torn muscle on my hip, then a couple of months later I started get crazy stomach pains/diarrhoea 24/7 which lasted about 6 months, this shit was crippling. Had 2 weeks free of that and then I had a bout of chronic sinusitis which I’ve been dealing with since, just had surgery on my nose a few days ago. On top of all this everything got too much at work and I snapped and quit because I was having panic attacks about my health and random shit everyday, plus a few trips to the ER with what I thought were heart attacks which were just panic attacks.

Trying my best to get through this guys but it’s so damn hard, all I want to do is get out there and skate my ass off before I really can’t do it anymore (I’m 31). I’ve thought about ending it so much but I could never bring myself to do it to my Mum, she has lost my Dad and I think it would be so unfair to do that again to her...
[close]

I can relate to your story. I have no valuable insight, but I hope things improve. I also hope you are able to have some time to rest and heal since quitting your job.

Thanks mate, I’ve had 5 weeks off so far and seem to be improving slowly. Probably the best decision I could have made I think. Hoping I can start skating again soon as that will make a world of difference.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2019, 02:58:46 AM »
Bump.
Considering going back to a counselor. It’s expensive and I don’t have much money but maybe it’s the right thing to do.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

buttchin

• Rep: 18
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2019, 04:39:47 AM »
I'm a high-functioning schizophrenic according to my therapist, who I haven't seen in months due to my health insurance changes. I had my first really bad episode of psychosis in 2013 when I was 20, which was exactly identical to the recollection Paul Alexander told in his vice documentary @6:21
www.youtube.com/watch?v=d09soDoUvaw&t=264s
Broke up with a long-term girlfriend and entered a state of depression/isolation for months, on top of staying up a lot of nights trying to get good grades at uni to put myself through med school. Then all of a sudden, shit just hit the fan and I got this disoriented belief that the FBI or CIA were after me. I was hallucinating and seeing the words in skate magazines and textbooks morphing into words that were saying things like "you're worthless/we're watching you" as well as being delusional and feeling like everyone was out to get me. I was super manic to the point where my brother, who was living with me at the time, had noticed my odd behavior and immediately called my mom to fly up ASAP to admit me to a psych ward. I stayed for a week and was diagnosed as schizoaffective. Was on a cocktail of meds that sedated the fuck out of me as well as made me so uncoordinated I couldn't even balance on a skateboard, on top of gaining 30 pounds in the span of 2 months from medication side affects.
I convinced my psychiatrist to take me off meds because I was doing better and thought it was just a brief episode of psychosis and nothing more, but then in 2017, I started feeling paranoid and delusional again and contemplated suicide because I had this delusion that everyone including my friends/roommates were trying to plot against me.
I went to numerous psychiatrists that allowed my health insurance to get a second opinion on my diagnosis and they all told me I have schizophrenia, not schizoaffective. One really good psychiatrist though recommended for me to go to out-patient group therapy and it honestly helped me a ton. Checking in about your feelings to complete strangers who are in the same situation if not worse really helped me to feel less isolated and opened me up to discuss my personal demons as well as get professional/helpful anonymous feedback from people who are willing to help/have been in the same situation.

Mental health is so tough and there's still a stigma behind it, but pals, don't be afraid to get help

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2019, 09:28:43 AM »
I'm a high-functioning schizophrenic according to my therapist, who I haven't seen in months due to my health insurance changes. I had my first really bad episode of psychosis in 2013 when I was 20, which was exactly identical to the recollection Paul Alexander told in his vice documentary @6:21
Broke up with a long-term girlfriend and entered a state of depression/isolation for months, on top of staying up a lot of nights trying to get good grades at uni to put myself through med school. Then all of a sudden, shit just hit the fan and I got this disoriented belief that the FBI or CIA were after me. I was hallucinating and seeing the words in skate magazines and textbooks morphing into words that were saying things like "you're worthless/we're watching you" as well as being delusional and feeling like everyone was out to get me. I was super manic to the point where my brother, who was living with me at the time, had noticed my odd behavior and immediately called my mom to fly up ASAP to admit me to a psych ward. I stayed for a week and was diagnosed as schizoaffective. Was on a cocktail of meds that sedated the fuck out of me as well as made me so uncoordinated I couldn't even balance on a skateboard, on top of gaining 30 pounds in the span of 2 months from medication side affects.
I convinced my psychiatrist to take me off meds because I was doing better and thought it was just a brief episode of psychosis and nothing more, but then in 2017, I started feeling paranoid and delusional again and contemplated suicide because I had this delusion that everyone including my friends/roommates were trying to plot against me.
I went to numerous psychiatrists that allowed my health insurance to get a second opinion on my diagnosis and they all told me I have schizophrenia, not schizoaffective. One really good psychiatrist though recommended for me to go to out-patient group therapy and it honestly helped me a ton. Checking in about your feelings to complete strangers who are in the same situation if not worse really helped me to feel less isolated and opened me up to discuss my personal demons as well as get professional/helpful anonymous feedback from people who are willing to help/have been in the same situation.

Mental health is so tough and there's still a stigma behind it, but pals, don't be afraid to get help
  I think your in a group that is ultra real. If i woke up to a world without anybody different anywhere, id be fucked and want to give up.  But you guys provide the world the concept of invention. Maybe its a burdon.  I think schizophrenia would have worked in the hunter gatherer times.  People were happier/healthier then and life expectancy stats from those days gets skewed by infant mortalty rates to make modern medical science and drug companies look good.  Youd be a shaman or a warrior guided by visions, leader of the tribe.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2019, 11:04:03 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS3Ho6ltF78

trying to find as many natural cures as possible. testing out cbd pills instead of effexor now and doing a lot of research on alternative medicine. i have a panic disorder that was heightened by post concussion syndrome and will have insomnia randomly for sometimes up to 5 days with only a couple hours each (last night i went to bed at 11 and fell asleep at 5am). depression comes along with it, and is harder being in canada with the rough winters, but im trying everything i can! even did a 3 days water fast and lost 20 pounds! will be doing another longer one soon but with a pre-diet this time and supplements instead of what was just himilayan salt and distilled water.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

aliexpress

• Rep: 0
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2019, 12:20:21 PM »
Anyone try yoga to calm yourself? I think I’m going to give it a shot next week but the inner anxiety is making me doubt myself.

yea yoga is cool. also stretching reduces injury. try going to an actual ashram instead of one of those white mom of 3 yoga places. ashrams focus more on total relaxation & breathing than weird jock muscle shit like the other ones

gaunt

• Rep: 104
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2019, 06:29:57 PM »
I had bad panic attacks growing up skating in Huntington Beach in the 90s. I dropped out of school over it. Luckily I got a computer and taught myself to code, and now i do that for a living making (since i couldn't pursue trying to be a pro skater because of not being able to travel, etc.).

So definitely hang in there. I didn't ever smoke weed or take prescriptions, I wanted to be clean because of parents doing drugs. What helped me the most was stopping eating all the junk food - seriously, cut waaay back on things like soda and sugar and fast food.  I don't eat perfect, but cutting back on caffeine and stuff goes a long way. Most of my anxiety was caused from not feeling good from eating like crap, which caused me to feel uncomfortable in my own skin, especially from ages 16-23 when i was out skating all day and not getting proper nutrition.

Some other things helped: Listening to calm music, chilling out (grew up in a stressful environment), which meant changing some of the "friends" i had to more chill people. Getting enough sleep (i used to stay up ALL night). And finally, getting a job and gaining some independence REALLY made a huge difference. And definitely learn how to breathe from your diaphragm not your chest.

I'm in my 40s one now and care about fitness and can still skate like i was 22 (mostly) because i take care of my body. If i slip on those things it gets worse. Take care of your body and it will take care of you. We're all human in human bodies and have to abide by its needs or suffer the consequences.

If that doesn't help you, just talk to someone. I didn't really get depression with mine so this advice might only be _part_ of the solution. There's no shame in taking meds, i just didn't need/want to personally.  Good luck everyone.
what were the symptoms you typically experienced during your panic attacks if you don't mind me asking? i have a friend who gets them occasionally and I was with him when just out of nowhere he jolted upwards and ran for the nearest door to exit the room, then was hunched over while panting heavily, trying to catch his breath with his hand on his chest. can't forget that look of sheer terror on his face just come over him so suddenly. it was pretty frightening to watch it happen.

sounds like you're doing pretty well all things considered, what language(s) do you work in?

Spaghetti Croc69

• Rep: -10
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2019, 07:45:32 AM »
Bump.
Considering going back to a counselor. It’s expensive and I don’t have much money but maybe it’s the right thing to do.

See if you can find somewhere with a sliding scale. Best of luck player.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Bump.
[close]

See if you can find somewhere with a sliding scale. Best of luck player.

Cheers mate just found one near my place that has it. I need it badly. Life’s been brutal lately.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2019, 04:08:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone try yoga to calm yourself?
[close]

Yeah, man. I also think it has made me stronger and more flexible overall. I just follow along with youtube videos, though. I could probably benefit from going to a class.

Classes are good, I used to go to a beginner's / chilled one on a Sunday morning and felt goddam unbelievable during and after. But seriously if you follow an audio visual guide vid for about an hour of Yoga you will get the same benefit (minus the social anxiety I got from being in a room full of mostly females and being one of only 2 males there).

I've been having some of my lowest moods ever over the last few weeks and I can't help but feel that it's partially because after accepting and admitting that I'm probably transsexual to myself and others. It's liberating and it feels good to present myself more how I want to but goddam if my dysphoric feelings haven't intensified alongside my fears of being alone / never truly happy since being open about that.

Skateboarding is fucking with me these days. On the one hand I've had some of the best BEST sessions ever and been progressing over the last year but I worry about being at the skatepark and being fucking focused by others on because of my dress sense / lack of an appearance that allows me to be easily gendered.
Actually fuck that im done talking about this for now
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2019, 05:08:17 PM »
I'm bipolar.  Luckily it's not bad enough to the point of majorly interfering with my day-to-day life.  I've been on lithium for the past year or so, but before that my depressive episodes following the mania were horrific.  I was really scared to start lithium being aware of the zombie sort of trope, however I have found that doesn't really alter my personality whatsoever.  It just limits my extremes it seems.   Since starting lithium I definitely have manic episodes, but nothing to the point of worry.  Now, when I'm manic my skating is really on point, I get a shit ton of music recorded, and I don't find myself hating everything when I come down. 

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -69
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2019, 09:10:22 PM »
My dad had Bipolar 2 and had recently died from a opioid overdose. I got evaluated in 2016 for confirmed depression and it got so bad that I was having mental break downs all most everyday. At this time in my life I was living in a group home and was pretty much kicked out my grandparents house. I’d also have been battling with my sexuality and personality for quite some time. If I were to describe that time to people I’d say it was all in black and white. Everything had no color in it and made life so horrible. It got so bad that I threatened others and got sent to a ward for a night. It’s something I’m ashamed of.

element4life

• Rep: 7
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2019, 04:28:49 AM »
I think a lot of people's mental health issues stem from having nowhere to direct their completely justified anger. stoning politicians lawyers and ceos to death would probably serve as a mass healing for millions

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2019, 05:54:33 AM »
I think a lot of people's mental health issues stem from having nowhere to direct their completely justified anger. stoning politicians lawyers and ceos to death would probably serve as a mass healing for millions
You got it all wrong.  Its the  public that has always demanded that we have these villians, the public would accept no less.  Who the 'villian' is dosent matter.  This situation is of our doing, there is no 'them'. Also what ur suggesting is mad.
  To quote Sid Vicious, when he was asked, "what about the man in the street?",  -Sid replied, "Ive met the man in the street and hes a cunt."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 06:13:18 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

element4life

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2019, 06:24:38 AM »
ok person

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2019, 06:30:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
  I think your in a group that is ultra real. If i woke up to a world without anybody different anywhere, id be fucked and want to give up.  But you guys provide the world the concept of invention. Maybe its a burdon.  I think schizophrenia would have worked in the hunter gatherer times.  People were happier/healthier then and life expectancy stats from those days gets skewed by infant mortalty rates to make modern medical science and drug companies look good.  Youd be a shaman or a warrior guided by visions, leader of the tribe.
I have schizoeffictive disorder and on one hand it sucks but on another I try to have humor of my illness as long as I am not hurting myself or those around me.  I've had rage moments when I had an episode and it lead to me be being in a nut hut for a bit. I think my case was caused by drug induced psychosis. I stayed up for like 2 weeks on a binge or meth and heroin and I saw some weird shit that put my head in a bad spot.

My family we've had some real shitbags in mine. For example a 2nd cousin was a highly decorated cop but convicted pedophile as him and his wife adopted kids and molested them. Another "well respected family member" he was an elder in on my dad's side that was a judge but married his 1st cousin. I have some really fucked up people not just through their actions but through genetics as well. I say these things as it paints a picture of where I get my nuttiness from.

I find that meditation and exercise helps quite a bit, although it isn't a cure all it alleviates the stress parts of what might trigger an episode. To be fair and I mean this in hopes it reaches those that need it most is if you are suffering from some mental illness talk with a therapist or psychiatrist. Most people with severe to mild mental illness all they need is a person to talk shop with, or give them an ear to listen to. Now those with serious violent tendencies I can't help but take meds or smoke lots and lots of weed as has anyone ever acted out violently to weed? 
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2019, 06:33:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
I have schizoeffictive disorder and on one hand it sucks but on another I try to have humor of my illness as long as I am not hurting myself or those around me.  I've had rage moments when I had an episode and it lead to me be being in a nut hut for a bit. I think my case was caused by drug induced psychosis. I stayed up for like 2 weeks on a binge or meth and heroin and I saw some weird shit that put my head in a bad spot.

My family we've had some real shitbags in mine. For example a 2nd cousin was a highly decorated cop but convicted pedophile as him and his wife adopted kids and molested them. Another "well respected family member" he was an elder in on my dad's side that was a judge but married his 1st cousin. I have some really fucked up people not just through their actions but through genetics as well. I say these things as it paints a picture of where I get my nuttiness from.

I find that meditation and exercise helps quite a bit, although it isn't a cure all it alleviates the stress parts of what might trigger an episode. To be fair and I mean this in hopes it reaches those that need it most is if you are suffering from some mental illness talk with a therapist or psychiatrist. Most people with severe to mild mental illness all they need is a person to talk shop with, or give them an ear to listen to. Now those with serious violent tendencies I can't help but take meds or smoke lots and lots of weed as has anyone ever acted out violently to weed?
  Yes some armies in history would ingest a bunch of hash b4 battle.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2019, 06:36:01 AM »
ok person
  Well ur just some lil cunt who wants to murder somone.

gaunt

• Rep: 104
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2019, 06:41:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You got it all wrong.  Its the  public that has always demanded that we have these villians, the public would accept no less.  Who the 'villian' is dosent matter.  This situation is of our doing, there is no 'them'.
care to elaborate on this? i don't know exactly what you mean

are you saying the power in which is concentrated into the hands of the extremely wealthy is a system consciously set up and maintained by the public at large? or that this elite class commits no wrongdoing in which is worthy of vilification and is a farce? that the system which enforces and maintains this top-down power structure, of which lawyers/politicians are a part of, is not something which people are justified in opposing?

what is your line of reasoning..but furthermore, what exactly is your point?  if you say something like 'representative democracy means the public picks the politicians in power therefore there is no distinction', it's going to be markedly unimpressive

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2019, 06:53:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
You got it all wrong.  Its the  public that has always demanded that we have these villians, the public would accept no less.  Who the 'villian' is dosent matter.  This situation is of our doing, there is no 'them'.
[close]
care to elaborate on this? i don't know exactly what you mean

are you saying the power in which is concentrated into the hands of the extremely wealthy is a system consciously set up and maintained by the public at large? or that this elite class commits no wrongdoing in which is worthy of vilification and is a farce? that the system which enforces and maintains this top-down power structure, of which lawyers/politicians are a part of, is not something which people are justified in opposing?

what is your line of reasoning..but furthermore, what exactly is your point?  if you say something like 'representative democracy means the public picks the politicians in power therefore there is no distinction', it's going to be markedly unimpressive
   I dunno.  "The public is an ass"  -does that do it?  Prolly "markedly unimpressive" (i like you).
  I'd say power is an illusion and time makes a fool of us
all.  (Again "markedly unimpressive").
  So yah ur rite what u said about these people in power but the public would distrust somone telling them truths and they want to kill the messenger.  The illusion is that the villians arent expendable.  There is 'us'on the planet.  Not 'us' and 'them'   it all stems from the publics need to kill the messenger and theyre refusing to acknowledge that the emporer is not clotheď. Its these basic  phenomenas that give life to the evils you speak of imo.
 Mediocrity and complacency are the real culprits i feel.  I dont think that science will save us.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:43:06 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

element4life

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2019, 07:03:49 AM »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2019, 07:54:14 AM »
About the 'us' and 'them' we dont just dehumanize public figures we resent, we also dehumanize ones that people profess love for.  One wake up call can be the suicide of a house hold name.  Its only rock n roll.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2019, 08:51:55 AM »

you’re probably on to something in terms of people having suppressed anger and not being able to regulate their emotions in general. when you don’t have an outlet for them and when you can’t express them or articulate your thoughts, it leads to a lot of psychological issues. and it comes down to the society and culture you’re in and how you deal with it on an individual level based on your upbringing and genetics.

element4life

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2019, 08:58:16 AM »
Its called a feedback loop and it spirals downward.

Ass to Mouth

element4life

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2019, 08:59:32 AM »
organs are in short supply if young healthy people aren't driven to suicide scumbag 90 year old vampires might actually die

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -69
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »
There is no us and them.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »
i'm an A-type personality and i get in loops where my anxiety stems lack of control and i try to control everything. when im stressed i treat filming skating like im directing my commercial clients and it fucking sucks, i dont see it in the moment. trying to fix that. when im relaxed i dont feel the need to control my life as much. on one hand being a perfectionist and knowing what i want is good for my work, but it doesn't work when it comes to relationships.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans