Author Topic: Mental Health Issues  (Read 39125 times)

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • My Wife avatar image
Re: Mental Health Issues
« Reply #450 on: August 14, 2020, 02:23:03 PM »
Hey, just throwing this out there:

If any of you Slap posters are going through a tough time right now -- due to COVID-19 or otherwise -- I'm willing to listen to you and maybe help you see the light that is there at the end of the tunnel.

Skaters always look out for one another so don't feel like you have no one to hear you out.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

tension

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #451 on: August 14, 2020, 03:33:55 PM »
Hey, just throwing this out there:

If any of you Slap posters are going through a tough time right now -- due to COVID-19 or otherwise -- I'm willing to listen to you and maybe help you see the light that is there at the end of the tunnel.

Skaters always look out for one another so don't feel like you have no one to hear you out.

Very rad of you to offer
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #452 on: September 02, 2020, 09:42:37 PM »
Does anyone else have OCD? I don't mean arranging your books or shoes nicely, or being picky about your board setup, but the type where you do weird, nonsensical rituals. How do you deal with it? There have been times in my life where I've been able to completely get rid of it but it flares up from time to time and lately I have it really bad. It doesn't help that I keep reinforcing it.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #453 on: September 03, 2020, 05:56:28 AM »
Does anyone else have OCD? I don't mean arranging your books or shoes nicely, or being picky about your board setup, but the type where you do weird, nonsensical rituals. How do you deal with it? There have been times in my life where I've been able to completely get rid of it but it flares up from time to time and lately I have it really bad. It doesn't help that I keep reinforcing it.

I tap my foot 3 times while I take a shit. If it isn’t clean, I wipe 3 times, then tap my hands on the vanity wall 3 times and give it another try.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #454 on: September 03, 2020, 07:56:43 AM »

Yeah but it's been of for a while.
I have come to think of it as cosmic beat matching.

Every good tune needs a count off.

I have issue with patterns and hearing music every I go.

I'm like that dog with the jazz fleas who gets stuck in the mud and the music slows down. I hear music it all the time.

https://youtu.be/9xTishCWtRc

If found it. This tune had a major impact on my brain as a kid.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #455 on: September 03, 2020, 08:02:28 AM »

Haha Had this most my life this is Golden!  Im an OCD/Neat Freak ...sort of like the TV show Monk, but not probably close to 70% of how he acts.

Honestly as long as other people aren't bothered by it, its okay.  If you are bothered with it, here is some FYI

OCD is a anxiety disorder triggered by your desire to control the future cause and effects.  EG. If I keep this in order than I will have full control of conscious if not than my unconsciousness is in control.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #456 on: September 03, 2020, 01:35:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha Had this most my life this is Golden!  Im an OCD/Neat Freak ...sort of like the TV show Monk, but not probably close to 70% of how he acts.

Honestly as long as other people aren't bothered by it, its okay.  If you are bothered with it, here is some FYI

OCD is a anxiety disorder triggered by your desire to control the future cause and effects.  EG. If I keep this in order than I will have full control of conscious if not than my unconsciousness is in control.

Yeah, there's definitely something about OCD that's like superstition or religion. I know how irrational and stupid it is but sometimes the compulsions take over and bring me more stress. The rituals really get to me because I often think up new ones and then have to complete them the right way before I feel comfortable enough. In the past, the key to stopping has been to just resist doing any of the rituals and over time the OCD subsides till it's almost gone. I need to start doing that again.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #457 on: September 03, 2020, 03:27:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, there's definitely something about OCD that's like superstition or religion. I know how irrational and stupid it is but sometimes the compulsions take over and bring me more stress. The rituals really get to me because I often think up new ones and then have to complete them the right way before I feel comfortable enough. In the past, the key to stopping has been to just resist doing any of the rituals and over time the OCD subsides till it's almost gone. I need to start doing that again.

I wouldnt try to control it, just understand it more in depth and make it so it doesn't make you feel bad....i mean shit its who you are....you'll slow down eventually...just wait.   I would suggest picking up a bad habit, but instead of being anxious you could end up depressed.  as long as your not hurting anyone or yourself dont trip,  on the list of mental disorders its actually not that bad once you understand it

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #458 on: September 07, 2020, 01:49:51 PM »
Anyone got their anxiety under control without medication?

History- years ago, went through an era of rough benzo abuse and a few other demons I had to battle. Went to rehab, got off the benzos and have been medication free for about 6 years.

Went through a pretty stressful last couple of months and am starting to feel the physical side effects of being constantly anxious. Didn't think much of my hypochondria or a couple other issues until recently.

If you've been able to tackle anxiety without the use of medication, how'd you do it/ what do you do?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #459 on: September 07, 2020, 04:20:39 PM »
Has anyone else had to suffer with someone who is facing gnarly mental health issues, only to get blamed for those issues?

I had someone who was close to me at one point, really struggle with her undiagnosed bipolar, depression, ADD, and dissociative disorder and after I told her doctor all the shit that she was experiencing (she struggled to do this herself) and suffered through that shit with her for years (I wasn't a saint, I sometime reacted negatively to her outbursts that I couldn't understand, which exacerbated her issues) she decided to make me the cause and representation of her depression/struggles.

It makes me super angry and bums me out that not only did I suffer with her through that shit, I now get blamed for it. And someone else who did zero work gets the credit of being the hero. He never begged her to take her meds, or begged her to tell the therapist what was really going on, he didn't see the consequences of her intense ups/downs, etc. I suffered through all that shit and it was only when I went to the doctor with her and I explained her struggles to the doctor that she finally got prescribed the meds she needed so badly for 17 years of her life. The doctor said, "Oh, you are battling bipolar. I had no idea." This was two years into an extremely trying situation and 17 years after the symptoms really started to show when she was a teenager (and her parents did absolutely nothing to help her).

It is fucking killing me that I suffered through it with her, but in her mind she is the only one who suffered and it is all my fault that she was struggling because I pushed her to confront the shit she was facing.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:30:07 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #460 on: September 13, 2020, 12:54:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For sure, I feel that OCD relates strongly to Tourette's syndrome too. It's all just how deep you're in it.
It's all a compulsive feeling that can be stronger than someone's will to hold it back, that's how rituals start.
Lot's of relearning and retraining is necessary most times to break the habits. Been trying my whole life.

There was a period of time as a kid where the only way I could swallow my food is by looking at a "special" spot on the wall in my childhood home. Don't know why that spot, but I definitely couldn't be looking at people and swallow food which made eating in public tough. Hundreds of other rituals have come and gone over the years. Time's of stress I really notice new things starting to form although I know they make no logical sense, then try to get over them before they cement themselves in.

tony mugu

• Rep: -1
« Reply #461 on: September 13, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »
hello, wondering if anyone has a similar experience or not with skating and I suppose other activities.

I’ve only been skating for a short while (less than 3 years) and I’ve made decent progress but I feel myself unreasonably comparing myself to other people way out of my league and I knock myself down on any achievements I make most times. I had a really good skate day followed by another one then a bad one and it’s been in my mind since then and I feel not great about myself.

I feel like what triggers it is like when I’m struggling on a trick especially on a bad day and ask someone for help and they mention something along the lines of “you just have to find the feeling”... what feeling!?!? this then makes me wonder stupid shit and if certain time on a trick has been wasted doing it wrong and I’m no good at it. People have mentioned I beat myself up too much but I hardly notice that I do.

This has turned into some sort of word mess but got one more question.

Does anyone else here also get into like friendly competition turned arms race in skating without the other person knowing? I can admit that I do this a lot for no good reason and I get unreasonably jealous about people who get a trick before me etc.

Apologies for the mess writing it’s in the early hours and I can’t sleep. 

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #462 on: September 13, 2020, 06:59:45 PM »
Anyone got their anxiety under control without medication?

History- years ago, went through an era of rough benzo abuse and a few other demons I had to battle. Went to rehab, got off the benzos and have been medication free for about 6 years.

Went through a pretty stressful last couple of months and am starting to feel the physical side effects of being constantly anxious. Didn't think much of my hypochondria or a couple other issues until recently.

If you've been able to tackle anxiety without the use of medication, how'd you do it/ what do you do?

I use the heavy bag.
I go for a skate with out tricks. Sometimes I pretend I'm looking for Mark Gonzalez.
I skate up to random people and say have you seen the gonz? It's insane how many non skaters know who mark is. They don't usually know he's been living here. I wonder if Jake turned him on to this beautiful place.

Guitar bass drums piano. I make clothing. I paint. That's a big one.

Things that people don't like that I do once in a while.

I go outs side and scream for about 5 mins.
I skate around town with a harmonica.

I used to go to the dump and smash toilets with bricks. Wow that was good. The town took that away.

The rest I edited out because they aren't good for most people
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 07:30:33 PM by Banned from the room »
(A)pl(E)

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #463 on: September 14, 2020, 07:33:49 AM »
Was quite depressed for almost A year feeling completely worthless. It got really bad around christmas last year. I had no energy to do anything and having huge breakdowns were I would seriously think of offing myself, hanging from the window and shit like that. Thinking about it I might actually be bipolar. My mental state is fine sometimes but I have huge mood swings fairly often and feel overwhelmed by my emotions. I also sometimes have episodes of very intense rage over the dumbest shit where I punch the wall until my knuckles are purple and the skin is peeling off. Alcohol doesn’t help at all as my mood swings become much more violent. Weed does help, mellows me out and helps me meditate. I think school fucks with my mental health. I’m sorry for the rambling, it’s hard to explain what happens in your mind.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #464 on: September 15, 2020, 12:31:42 AM »
Ex girlfriend I was living with for the past 2 years broke my heart 4 months ago.
I’m adhering to a pretty strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber.
Even with that and casually sleeping with some other girls, I still wake up in the middle of the night sometimes, and think of the fucked up shit she did.

Funnily enough though, this and lockdown should have sent me down the drain.
Had suicidal thoughts as well for a couple of weeks then just random panic attacks to this day.
However I’m still smiling and trying to become a better person.
I’m still on prescription, but I just wanted to let you all know that there is light!!

I hope I’ll be in this world for a bit more time.
Skateboarding saved my life.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #465 on: September 29, 2020, 11:42:31 AM »
Who all's ready for that seasonal affective disorder, baby? I've started taking Vitamin D and trying to get to sleep earlier. Strapping in.

Having housemate issues and feeling lonely. Don't like my job and sometimes dread going home. Messaged a few counseling centers, trying to get back into talking to someone.

How are you guys keeping?

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #466 on: September 29, 2020, 12:11:53 PM »
Who all's ready for that seasonal affective disorder, baby? I've started taking Vitamin D and trying to get to sleep earlier. Strapping in.

Having housemate issues and feeling lonely. Don't like my job and sometimes dread going home. Messaged a few counseling centers, trying to get back into talking to someone.

How are you guys keeping?

Have you tried online counseling before ? I can vouch for BetterHelp being pretty solid and may be a cheaper option.

Recently accepted an offer for a new job. Even though I'm miserable at my soon-to-be-old job i'm really worried this new one isn't going to be less stressful despite the higher pay & some other good stuff. I guess I should be happy about a new job so I'm trying to be positive about it.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #467 on: September 29, 2020, 12:17:15 PM »
As they say: a change is as good as a rest! I hope the new job works out. It's better pay and a new routine, that's enough to make it worth it. It might not be less stressful, but that won't come at the start. It sounds good man.

I haven't tried online counseling, no. There's a place that a lot of friends have recommended that works on sliding scale payment that I've just emailed. I can afford to pay more than minimum, so I will, I just want to find someone that I can get along with so I feel comfortable opening up. The last fella I was seeing immediately rubbed me the wrong way.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #468 on: September 29, 2020, 12:46:18 PM »
Thanks, appreciate that man. I got to trust that I can handle it.

I hope it doesn't take you long to find someone that works well for you. I lucked out with mine - they used to skate so it's pretty sick knowing they can at least better understand when I talk about things related to skating.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #469 on: September 29, 2020, 01:34:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I wouldnt try to control it, just understand it more in depth and make it so it doesn't make you feel bad....i mean shit its who you are....you'll slow down eventually...just wait.   I would suggest picking up a bad habit, but instead of being anxious you could end up depressed.  as long as your not hurting anyone or yourself dont trip,  on the list of mental disorders its actually not that bad once you understand it

But if I don't make any attempt to change the behavior, it gets out of control. Yesterday I spent almost an hour tapping something just the right way the right amount of times. The compulsions end up causing more anxiety than the things or ideas that triggered the compulsions, not to mention they are a huge waste of time. I get what you mean about not trying too hard to change a fundamental aspect of myself but the times in my life when I had it more under control were less stressful.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
For sure, I feel that OCD relates strongly to Tourette's syndrome too. It's all just how deep you're in it.
It's all a compulsive feeling that can be stronger than someone's will to hold it back, that's how rituals start.
Lot's of relearning and retraining is necessary most times to break the habits. Been trying my whole life.

There was a period of time as a kid where the only way I could swallow my food is by looking at a "special" spot on the wall in my childhood home. Don't know why that spot, but I definitely couldn't be looking at people and swallow food which made eating in public tough. Hundreds of other rituals have come and gone over the years. Time's of stress I really notice new things starting to form although I know they make no logical sense, then try to get over them before they cement themselves in.

Stress or anxiety definitely exacerbates it for me. I think talking about it helps though. The other day I told my wife about some weird ritual I had been doing and she couldn't help but laugh at first. She apologized and said she didn't mean to make fun of my OCD but I understood her initial reaction because I knew how ridiculous it was. And her laughing helped put it in perspective for me. I really want to get this under control again. Does anyone know if weed helps with this? I'm worried I'll smoke some to try to relieve the symptoms and then they'll just get worse.

animalflesh

« Reply #470 on: September 29, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »
Has anyone else had to suffer with someone who is facing gnarly mental health issues, only to get blamed for those issues?

I had someone who was close to me at one point, really struggle with her undiagnosed bipolar, depression, ADD, and dissociative disorder and after I told her doctor all the shit that she was experiencing (she struggled to do this herself) and suffered through that shit with her for years (I wasn't a saint, I sometime reacted negatively to her outbursts that I couldn't understand, which exacerbated her issues) she decided to make me the cause and representation of her depression/struggles.

It makes me super angry and bums me out that not only did I suffer with her through that shit, I now get blamed for it. And someone else who did zero work gets the credit of being the hero. He never begged her to take her meds, or begged her to tell the therapist what was really going on, he didn't see the consequences of her intense ups/downs, etc. I suffered through all that shit and it was only when I went to the doctor with her and I explained her struggles to the doctor that she finally got prescribed the meds she needed so badly for 17 years of her life. The doctor said, "Oh, you are battling bipolar. I had no idea." This was two years into an extremely trying situation and 17 years after the symptoms really started to show when she was a teenager (and her parents did absolutely nothing to help her).

It is fucking killing me that I suffered through it with her, but in her mind she is the only one who suffered and it is all my fault that she was struggling because I pushed her to confront the shit she was facing.

Was married to this...

DM me if you wanna talk

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #471 on: September 30, 2020, 12:57:40 PM »
I’m starting to feel like I’m falling into depression again. Quarantine and summer were nice cus it gave me a rly long break from school and all that bullshit, but I’ve been in that shit hole for a month and I can’t skate and I’m starting to feel like shit. Shit sucks

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #472 on: October 01, 2020, 12:50:41 AM »
I was driving today  and i imagined myseld driving off a brindge i was about to cross,  and as i got closer  my mind was somewhere else, i didnt even realize that i was actually flooring it and driving straight(theres a slight curve  where it begins) until i hit the part where it starts, i got the fuck back into my lane and changed the radio station and drove back home.
Ive been thinking about going to therapy and have actually discussed it with a cousin that went to therapy  but i just cant get myself to do it, anytime i think about it i just feel like i just dont want to talk about anything to anyone, much less talk about shit thats going around in my head that i cant even explain.
I havent skated that much lately also, im sure as fuck that its part of the problem too.

Thank you all, and im truly sorry if ive ever been a dick to any of you pals, and newbs, except the gipper.
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Grind King Rims

« Reply #473 on: October 01, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »
I was driving today  and i imagined myseld driving off a brindge i was about to cross,  and as i got closer  my mind was somewhere else, i didnt even realize that i was actually flooring it and driving straight(theres a slight curve  where it begins) until i hit the part where it starts, i got the fuck back into my lane and changed the radio station and drove back home.
Ive been thinking about going to therapy and have actually discussed it with a cousin that went to therapy  but i just cant get myself to do it, anytime i think about it i just feel like i just dont want to talk about anything to anyone, much less talk about shit thats going around in my head that i cant even explain.
I havent skated that much lately also, im sure as fuck that its part of the problem too.

Thank you all, and im truly sorry if ive ever been a dick to any of you pals, and newbs, except the gipper.

Hey man that doesn't sound like something that will go away on its own. You say that you might not fully understand what's going on in your head; speaking with someone who's a professional head doctor will help you understand what you're feeling and why. It can't hurt anyway.

Hope you feel better.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #474 on: October 02, 2020, 05:38:44 AM »
Every day I wait to take my meds.

It's like a test to see if I need them

Should I get this tattoo?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 07:20:47 AM by Banned from the room »
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #475 on: October 02, 2020, 07:25:50 AM »

Yes? no?
(A)pl(E)

Grind King Rims

« Reply #476 on: October 02, 2020, 09:29:06 AM »
Very nice image, seems like it might be a bit hard to translate clearly to a tattoo, but if you think it'd make you happy, go for it.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #477 on: October 02, 2020, 09:30:24 AM »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #478 on: October 02, 2020, 12:03:24 PM »
Very nice image, seems like it might be a bit hard to translate clearly to a tattoo, but if you think it'd make you happy, go for it.

Thanks.

I was thinking of double reflection in the lenses of a gas mask?

It's a long way off still.

I'm mostly interested in fixing old shit I got a drawing from a friend.

I really really wanna get a chest piece by February. Vulture not an eagle.
(A)pl(E)

Grind King Rims

« Reply #479 on: October 02, 2020, 12:35:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks.

I was thinking of double reflection in the lenses of a gas mask?

It's a long way off still.

I'm mostly interested in fixing old shit I got a drawing from a friend.

I really really wanna get a chest piece by February. Vulture not an eagle.

Now we're talking.