Author Topic: Slappy setups, is that a thing?  (Read 43173 times)

Diocletian

Re: Slappy setups, is that a thing?
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2019, 06:22:29 PM »
I learned frontside slappies pretty fast a few years ago on a perfectly painted parking block for the handicap spot at my local park. It’s effortless with any size board/trucks I ride. However, when I skate a more rounded curb I definitely feel it’s easier with a bigger set-up. I wish I could backside slappy anything...I just can’t figure them out. It’s weird because on transition I am much more comfortable doing backside grinds vs frontside.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2020, 07:03:40 PM »
Odd question and I don't have an average to go by, but the most common curb width for say, a double sided, would and 8.75" be able to sit on top of the curb with enough clearance for the wheels? I know 149s don't, on average but would rather go 8.75: versus 9"+ if I cna help it.

Uncle Poseur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2020, 07:38:53 PM »
Odd question and I don't have an average to go by, but the most common curb width for say, a double sided, would and 8.75" be able to sit on top of the curb with enough clearance for the wheels? I know 149s don't, on average but would rather go 8.75: versus 9"+ if I cna help it.

Indy 169s on a 9.25" deck.
When in doubt, check to see what Lucero is riding.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2020, 08:35:47 AM »
if you want to learn slappys a bigger board can help

but big balls help most

just smash into the fucking thing. get drunk, stay loose, pump into the curb and you too will grind

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2020, 03:53:08 PM »
I love this thread. Been going through the madness deciding whether I like my 8.4 or my 10 for slappies. 8.4 locks in seems easier, 10 is way more fun.

People in here skating popsicle or shapes? It’s nice having a nose and a shorter wheelbase on the pop, but nothing feels better than a fast frontside grind on the big boy

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2020, 04:10:43 PM »
8.5 Popsicle for me. i love a slappy crook or front nose grind <3 but you are right nothing beats the feeling of a head on big boy slap WAAAPOW!  just feels right with a long wheelbase.     

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
I like shaped boards for slappies or at least something wider over the trucks so you have more leverage when actually slapping onto a curb without having to run your trucks stupid loose.

Also for some reason indies tend to get caught less than aces when slapping trickier curbs.

PMA

texasplant

« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2020, 06:01:03 PM »
This should get moved into the gear section, would like to see more people’s setups, even though it will probably cross over the big boy thread

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2020, 06:20:42 AM »
I ride a 9 inch Powell flight pool shape with 169 indys. I just changed over from Bones SPFs to some Spitfire 80’s and now it just glides onto curbs.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2020, 11:45:26 AM »
I never have any luck with a bigger board for curbs but it always looks like it's more fun. I just use my normal setup for curbs, 8.25, 149s/ace44s, 56mm conical fulls.

bout to set one up though I have this old BA anti-hero that still has a little life left with some hollow 159s and whatever wheels I have lying around, I always set it up, do slappys and take it apart because I feel stupid, pandemic got me itching to set it up again though and try it. worst case I just buy a 8.5 for the 159s this summer once I run out've 8.25s.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »
I ride a 9 inch Powell flight pool shape with 169 indys. I just changed over from Bones SPFs to some Spitfire 80’s and now it just glides onto curbs.

I always thought the spit 80 HDs would be too soft for slappy stuff. I use mine on the rain cruiser.
IG: @flowterspace

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2020, 07:11:49 PM »
i have roughrider 59mm and they are 80a too. they bump onto a curb really well, and they roll really fast on crusty ashphalt, but they are so soft that they wear away like you put them on a belt sander when they get pinched up on a grind. really fun for slappies but they dont last very long. i may try super juices next
🤙

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2020, 07:19:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I always thought the spit 80 HDs would be too soft for slappy stuff. I use mine on the rain cruiser.

Try them for slappying and let me know if it’s just in my head

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2020, 08:07:28 PM »
I feel soft wheels are easy to roll up curbs and therefore often easier to slappies, as long as they are rounded off.

The chargers might work well, keyframes surely do. They do get cracks and damages easily though.

PMA

texasplant

« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2020, 02:47:12 PM »
A mate of mine exploded two sets of 80HDs in two months skating just slappies. He said he LOVED them but they just chip and split

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2020, 04:02:15 PM »
too soft!!!! your wheels will be pulverized!!! one locked in feeble on a curb and the inside of your wheels will be destroyed. good for ditch skating and cruising not curb skating. 

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
I always thought soft wheels sucked for curbs, tried some big ass soft cruiser wheels once and while it felt super cool barreling through grass and dirt to slappy stuff the stick factor was higher for me.

gyros4heroes

• Rep: -20
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2020, 02:20:31 AM »
i learned on a normal set up however i feel like the bigger the better. Also shaped boards with very small or very triangle noses make them so much easier

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2020, 04:09:00 PM »
A mate of mine exploded two sets of 80HDs in two months skating just slappies. He said he LOVED them but they just chip and split

I fucked around and found out :'(

texasplant

« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2020, 03:33:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I fucked around and found out :'(

He hasn’t learnt his lesson... he’s about to buy set number 3. Told him to try Mini Juice

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2020, 07:28:21 AM »
Learning frontside feels terrible until it suddenly happens

Same shit with baby wall rides
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2020, 03:00:26 PM »
Always thought bs was easier to just smash into the ledge. Radial f4s feel nice for it. Once you can keep your front truck from going to feeble itll grind straight. Still havent figured out frontside. Probably just being a poosey.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2020, 09:18:58 PM »
Always thought bs was easier to just smash into the ledge. Radial f4s feel nice for it. Once you can keep your front truck from going to feeble itll grind straight. Still havent figured out frontside. Probably just being a poosey.

Front foot over the bolts, and make it light as you hit. Keep carving in, and switch the weight onto the front foot and lighten up and the back will bump on, as long as you keep turning

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2020, 09:48:41 PM »
Ride up almost straight and then turn helped me

A few went to tail but I found the zone

i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2020, 09:19:56 AM »
I use my normal set up. But I’m a proponent for not having multiple set ups, IMO you should be able to skate everything on the same board. Act like your grinding a QP that’s helped me a lot on slappies

uptherecazaly

• Rep: 2
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2020, 07:24:30 PM »
I use my normal set up. But I’m a proponent for not having multiple set ups, IMO you should be able to skate everything on the same board. Act like your grinding a QP that’s helped me a lot on slappies

I don't think anyone 'should' do anything except what they want to do when they're skating. 
It's a beautiful thing to have more than one board, but a first world priviledge.
I've got a regular 8.5 popsicle, and several old school shaped boards.
It's nice to have a popsicle nose for tricks and it's nice to have a fat deck in transition.

9" shaped SkullSkates
Goofy footed friend's old axle-grooved 149s swapped front/back (wearing regular stance grooves now)
F4 101 Classics worn to 53mm

Welcome shaped 9"
169s that are a little defective, but when loose not too noticable.
Bones STF V1 worn to 50mm

Slappies 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:24:07 PM by uptherecazaly »

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2020, 08:52:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't think anyone 'should' do anything except what they want to do when they're skating. 
It's a beautiful thing to have more than one board, but a first world priviledge.
I've got a regular 8.5 popsicle, and several old school shaped boards.
It's nice to have a popsicle nose for tricks and it's nice to have a fat deck in transition.
I have a goofy footed friend's old axle-grooved Indy 149s on a 9" shaped SkullSkates for slappies, I've put his back truck on the front and am now wearing grooves into the other side (I'm regular)
Also have an old Welcome shaped 9" with 169s that are a little defective, but I ride them loose so it's not too noticable. Basically they're boards I don't skate a lot and trucks I don't give a shit about.

To each his own. Just my opinion. Whatever works for the skater. 

Mort Garson

• Rep: 13
« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2020, 12:34:46 AM »
I had a quarantine slappy sesh today on a 10” scram with some 169s that were loose enough to be approaching Palmer territory. Felt like a dream, albeit a very sketchy dream where I might have been Dead Dave. Learned back slappy 5-0, felt like a boss.
rad rat's ex-wife

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2020, 08:03:53 PM »
I had a quarantine slappy sesh today on a 10” scram with some 169s that were loose enough to be approaching Palmer territory. Felt like a dream, albeit a very sketchy dream where I might have been Dead Dave. Learned back slappy 5-0, felt like a boss.

I’m fortunate to have a curb and good flat right in front of my house. Got out the other day and randomly tried a el apply back five for the first time in years. Did it first go and just did like 15 or so after. Super fun. My curbs rounded so not the easiest to sit on 50-50s

texasplant

« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2020, 05:21:16 PM »
Anyone skated a Winkowski setup for slappies? Or similar? Will lack of nose/length be an issue?