Author Topic: Slappy setups, is that a thing?  (Read 43164 times)

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
Re: Slappy setups, is that a thing?
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2020, 07:05:12 PM »
Anyone skated a Winkowski setup for slappies? Or similar? Will lack of nose/length be an issue?

Shouldn't be a problem. If you're doing boardslides and slappy 50-50s. If you're trying to do a crooked slappies. Then the short nose might be a problem.

gyros4heroes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2020, 05:49:46 AM »
learned slappies on the bottom stair of a 4set at my local, have never skated an actual parking block. However i feel like a steep nose is a must, trucks 149 and up-maybe 144- and preferably loose. The bigger wheels the better and never smaller than 52mm.
Obviously i have never skated a slappy curb so my advice is based on what ive skated which i guess would work really well on a curb.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2020, 11:42:26 PM »
Actually learned sloppiest in the winkowski. The extra width helps with levering the front truck up and not biting it. Works perfectly fine.

PMA

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2020, 01:57:48 AM »
learned slappies on the bottom stair of a 4set at my local, have never skated an actual parking block. However i feel like a steep nose is a must, trucks 149 and up-maybe 144- and preferably loose. The bigger wheels the better and never smaller than 52mm.
Obviously i have never skated a slappy curb so my advice is based on what ive skated which i guess would work really well on a curb.

No
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2020, 12:26:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No

There‘s a lot of people that like to slap on <50mm wheels, you need a little more power on small wheels but once you have the hang of getting your back Teich up it is no real difference. they help avoiding wheelbite when running your trucks sloppy loose. I just can‘t skate any spots on small wheels not even considering between them.

It takes time, like any trick to learn, that is the only secret to slappies

PMA

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2020, 12:56:09 AM »
Glad I decided to click into this thread. I've got a Real 8.18 that I'm not really feeling, a pair of Venture 5.8 and a shitty curb at the bottom of my apartment. Setting up later but I only have tiny 52mm wheels.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Skart

• Ham control
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2020, 03:05:20 AM »
On 52 full conical and 6.1's

Terrible example though. Just realized I lifted to get on

https://youtu.be/Fsb43CuRkrk
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:01:16 AM by Skart »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2020, 05:37:02 AM »

the ventures even sound harder. Do try groove up well? My indy’s just seemed smoother on a painted curb

Skart

• Ham control
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2020, 09:59:52 PM »
I went from ace to venture so I'm warped on truck hardness. Either way it's tolerable

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2020, 10:46:07 PM »

Damn you guys got some nice curbs, the ones near me are all crust, missing chunks, unpainted and probably 2 inches too high. Butt fuck it I'll give it a whirl today.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2020, 06:01:53 PM »
Decided against the Winkowski, decided instead to stop having a big setup and a normal setup, so I’m going to meet in the middle. 8.25 or 8.4 Grimple with 149 or 44 and 55mms. Not too sure yet. Maybe even thinking 159 on 8.25 could be nice.

Also I can’t for the life of me stop lifting my front truck onto backside 50s. I treat it like a quarter so I’m used to doing it that way. I don’t weigh fuck all either so I feel like I need to charge way harder than someone who weighs a bit more.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:03:26 PM by texasplant »

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #191 on: April 21, 2020, 11:19:57 AM »
I ride an 8.25 with the 8.25 indy that are relatively loose and usually ~ 53mm wheel.

I've been learning slappies in my later years.  I could never do them as a kid.  But this is what I thought the OP meant for "set up".   I read the whole thread and didn't really see my last point stated.

Carving (or  approaching the curb at maybe a 25-30 angle) helps alot.

Putting your front foot way up on the nose is crucial for learning as well.   Watch how alot of people do slappy crooks.  I used to think it looked horrible with your feet super spread apart but now I understand its just technique that really helps.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #192 on: April 21, 2020, 12:15:25 PM »
Decided against the Winkowski, decided instead to stop having a big setup and a normal setup, so I’m going to meet in the middle. 8.25 or 8.4 Grimple with 149 or 44 and 55mms. Not too sure yet. Maybe even thinking 159 on 8.25 could be nice.

Also I can’t for the life of me stop lifting my front truck onto backside 50s. I treat it like a quarter so I’m used to doing it that way. I don’t weigh fuck all either so I feel like I need to charge way harder than someone who weighs a bit more.

I lift just a little on BS slappies. Who cares? As long as your having fun. I feel it’s more FS slappies you don’t wanna lift up on as front truck goes up first. At least that’s how this two work for me.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2020, 03:11:36 PM »
No lifting either way!

fun is fun, correct.

but proper is also proper.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2020, 03:13:12 PM »
try keeping front foot behind the bolts and carving at a steeper angle.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #195 on: April 22, 2020, 06:56:39 AM »
No lifting either way!

fun is fun, correct.

Never heard that. Upon further review of my own. I only lift up after I’m on the curb to move the front truck into place. Have I been doing these wrong this whole time? Haha

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #196 on: April 22, 2020, 10:50:18 PM »
Expand Quote
No lifting either way!

fun is fun, correct.

[close]

Never heard that. Upon further review of my own. I only lift up after I’m on the curb to move the front truck into place. Have I been doing these wrong this whole time? Haha

Yeah I lift only once my wheel has hit the curb, it’s almost like a bounce haha

animalflesh

« Reply #197 on: April 23, 2020, 07:20:44 AM »
I’d say for a truly proper text book slappy of any kind

-don’t ride up with your foot on the nose or tail unless it’s a crooked grind, you can tuck your foot into the pocket of the tail or nose for almost every other grind
-wait until both trucks make contact with the curb to go into most other grinds (smith,5-0 etc)
-don’t throw your arms up to lift your weight on the way in, carve it and suck your knees up to your stomach right before impact with the curb

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2020, 09:17:21 AM »
I’d say for a truly proper text book slappy of any kind

-don’t ride up with your foot on the nose or tail unless it’s a crooked grind, you can tuck your foot into the pocket of the tail or nose for almost every other grind
-wait until both trucks make contact with the curb to go into most other grinds (smith,5-0 etc)
-don’t throw your arms up to lift your weight on the way in, carve it and suck your knees up to your stomach right before impact with the curb

I’d have to disagree with both trucks touching on a 5-0. By definition that’s not a proper 5-0. In my mind as long as your not Olly-ing into it lifting up into a slappy 5-0 is fine. But I’m not well versed in slappie etiquette so what do I know.

animalflesh

« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2020, 05:48:56 PM »
I’m not saying it needs to be a 50-50, but the front truck should make contact with the curb before the back truck does going into a slappy 5-0 because that’s just kind of the original way of doing it and looks more natural and better IMO

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2020, 06:52:48 PM »
Conical fulls?

animalflesh

« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2020, 08:51:13 PM »
if you ride certain wheels on transition then they will be good for slappies

Some people like round walls cause they roll on easier but I like the way conicals kinda snap in and lock so I ride wider conical wheels on my curb setup

w425

• Rep: -1
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2020, 07:38:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Does a big board make it easier too? A lot of people who do slappies always ride a big board
[close]

big board means big trucks so yes

Excuse me sir some people like to ride smaller trucks with bigger boards :)

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #203 on: May 20, 2020, 11:33:26 AM »
I'm having trouble with my slappy crooks. I feel like when I hit the curb, I stick. Not sure if I'm not shifting weight properly, not hitting with enough speed, to fat, etc?

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #204 on: May 20, 2020, 12:15:25 PM »
I'm having trouble with my slappy crooks. I feel like when I hit the curb, I stick. Not sure if I'm not shifting weight properly, not hitting with enough speed, to fat, etc?

lean back a little farther than you might initially expect. just ease your front truck on, the front truck wants to crooked grind so just keep your front foot on the ledge and you will see it come to life. try it switch too because it's easier than you anticipate
For Your Health

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #205 on: May 20, 2020, 01:09:09 PM »
Good advice above. Also, with your front foot, I find having it back a bit closer to the bolts with your heel hanging off a bit helps.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #206 on: May 20, 2020, 01:20:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lean back a little farther than you might initially expect. just ease your front truck on, the front truck wants to crooked grind so just keep your front foot on the ledge and you will see it come to life. try it switch too because it's easier than you anticipate

I found trying to push the board away from me slightly and unweighting for a split second as the wheels hit the curb ( like a Chinese Nollie ) before standing up on the front foot helped.

hereticx

• Rep: 0
  • pro filmer
« Reply #207 on: June 03, 2020, 01:49:31 AM »
Guys who do a ton of slappy grinds. Do you setup boards specifically with slappy in mind and if so, what’s your setup?

good slappy setup would be like an 8.5+ board indy 159's and small ass wheels
https://www.boardycakes.com
Panasonic HC-X1500
62mm Opteka Fisheye

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #208 on: June 03, 2020, 10:09:26 AM »
if you ride certain wheels on transition then they will be good for slappies

Some people like round walls cause they roll on easier but I like the way conicals kinda snap in and lock so I ride wider conical wheels on my curb setup

I learned slappies on conical and I keep slipping out. May try switching back.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #209 on: June 03, 2020, 12:21:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Guys who do a ton of slappy grinds. Do you setup boards specifically with slappy in mind and if so, what’s your setup?
[close]

good slappy setup would be like an 8.5+ board indy 159's and small ass wheels
https://www.boardycakes.com

I am currently running the AH brown bomber, with Indy 159s and 50 MM spit classics. Started as a low-impact/slappy setup but now I use it for everything.

IG: @flowterspace