Author Topic: Slappy setups, is that a thing?  (Read 43178 times)

Lloyd Braun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
Re: Slappy setups, is that a thing?
« Reply #210 on: June 03, 2020, 02:07:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Guys who do a ton of slappy grinds. Do you setup boards specifically with slappy in mind and if so, what’s your setup?
[close]

good slappy setup would be like an 8.5+ board indy 159's and small ass wheels
https://www.boardycakes.com
I personally just skate my regular board. 8.5 board venture 5.8 and 53 mm f4 lock ins.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:46:52 AM by Michnich191 »

ZachV

• Rep: -9
« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2020, 10:22:41 AM »
Guys who do a ton of slappy grinds. Do you setup boards specifically with slappy in mind and if so, what’s your setup?

I do a ton of slappy grinds but I dont have a setup for specifically slappys, just ride what your comfortable with.
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #212 on: June 10, 2020, 11:57:09 AM »
I made one just for kicks/covid boredom.

Krooked Worrest Slick Twin Tail
Tensor Mag lights
Spitfire Lockins

It all works the way I intended, tho I think lockins are just a gimmick, they don't feel any more locked in than a radial slim or bones V2/V5 and those are at-least all reversible.

The twin tail aspect of a slappy setup is great (really any setup) as you don't have to worry about it once you get used it and truck wise you get even disbursement of grooves ;)

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #213 on: June 10, 2020, 02:24:24 PM »
same^ don't usually do slappy setups but i saw a krooked board that looked cool and set one up.

krooked dan's rig
thunder 151 standard
spitfire f4 classics 56mm, spitfire cheapshots
pig rails

board is fun as fuck, slappys feel amazing, trucks turn really good and I'm not getting any wheelbite surprisingly without risers, trucks are stock. low-key think thunders are the best slappy truck if indys aren't your thing.

fake nollie.sk8er

• Rep: -37
« Reply #214 on: June 10, 2020, 03:21:40 PM »
I still don't see the point of slappys.

ZachV

« Reply #215 on: June 10, 2020, 03:52:41 PM »

Why would you ollie onto a curb if you could just effortlessly ride onto it.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #216 on: June 10, 2020, 07:53:23 PM »

They are delicate yet aggressive, nimble yet violent. They are all of skating on a feature accessible to all.

Plus, they are fun.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #217 on: June 12, 2020, 07:55:31 AM »

Can you slappy? Super fun satisfying grinds that are relatively easy.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #218 on: June 12, 2020, 11:11:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can you slappy? Super fun satisfying grinds that are relatively easy.
The answer is no. They can not

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #219 on: June 13, 2020, 08:18:17 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place but landed my first backside slappy. I have been trying for years and gave up because front side was easier but, I think the secret was to twist my hips to get the back truck on.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

ZachV

« Reply #220 on: June 13, 2020, 08:32:07 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place but landed my first backside slappy. I have been trying for years and gave up because front side was easier but, I think the secret was to twist my hips to get the back truck on.

turning your hips more helped me learn them, I also found that I have to have more weight on my front foot when doing slappy 50 50s

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2020, 12:42:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

turning your hips more helped me learn them, I also found that I have to have more weight on my front foot when doing slappy 50 50s

That helps until you end up doing willy grinds

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2020, 07:16:49 PM »
Seen some people say smaller wheels help, not sure what they mean by smaller. I imagine dudes that do slap pies riding 58mm on a normal day so maybe 54 is small for them. 😂

I cant do slappies but I was trying to with some like 40mm wheels and i was actually getting into it sometimes but now that I got bigger new wheels im not getting as close so maybe small wheels do help

ZachV

« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2020, 09:35:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That helps until you end up doing willy grinds

Yeah but the reason im heavier on my front foot is so I can get my back truck on, I slap my front truck on and my back truck is just along for the ride.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #224 on: June 15, 2020, 04:10:59 AM »
I find bigger wheels are easier to get o and lock on.

You don’t drive off road with tiny tires, do you? You wanna roll up a bit.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2020, 07:28:08 AM »
Damn why did Fred Gerwer Frank Gall focus?

He actually skated
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2020, 11:34:33 AM »
I don't put my weight on my front leg when doing fs or bs slappys. all in the back leg, front leg just guides you into the initial truck bash and the back leg does all the work, you'll get a longer, more controlled slappy that way. I've been working on doing them switch a little more consistently and I notice alot of the time I'll have my weight on my front foot and have to do this ugly fakie pivot out of them, been working on fixing that. when you're first learning them the trick doesn't make sense so alot of people put their front foot on the nose or lean forward too much, it works but you can get pitched pretty bad if you slip out. work on leaning back and getting into them with your feet back a little more, if you miss the curb or slip out you can just kick the board out instead of slamming that way.

also I don't think small wheels really help with them or fuck them up, but really big wheels definitely make you lock in too much, anywhere from 53-56mm is the sweet spot for wheels imo.
gotta say spitfire classics are nice because of the rounded sidewall, you can roll right up some of the steeper curbs if you get your angle right.  but your average parking block it isn't as important, just bash and lock on. curbs are fun.

ZachV

« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2020, 02:37:49 PM »
Maybe im lying to myself. I feel like my front foot is always heavier and my slappies are just fine.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2020, 09:19:31 AM »

He actually skated

Kind of shocked you're the only person who mentioned this. Dude was a good poster.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2020, 10:43:40 AM »
Expand Quote

He actually skated
[close]

Kind of shocked you're the only person who mentioned this. Dude was a good poster.

You guys are too nice. I had to take a break from all forms of social media. Silly to cancel a Slap account but it was an all or nothing type reaction. Thank the Lord Lee Ralph for skateboarding.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2020, 11:37:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

He actually skated
[close]

[close]

You guys are too nice. I had to take a break from all forms of social media. Silly to cancel a Slap account but it was an all or nothing type reaction. Thank the Lord Lee Ralph for skateboarding.

I get it, I've focused Instagram (my only other social) 3 times before. Welcome back.

animalflesh

« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2020, 01:30:40 PM »
Slap is the only social media I have and I like it this way

Glad ur back

Benchpress

• Rep: 9
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2020, 08:15:02 AM »
Anyone ever ridden a heroin curb crusher? Considering one of those in 10.25, with a pair of 215s.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:17:18 AM by Benchpress »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2020, 08:23:12 AM »
I see that Roger scrapes off the wax of the Venice curbs. When do you know it’s time to scrape the was off?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2020, 09:10:13 AM »
Karate kidding me?

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2020, 11:45:02 AM »
Anyone ever ridden a heroin curb crusher? Considering one of those in 10.25, with a pair of 215s. Can already slappy my regular ass board daily and nightly but just want something cool for crusing to the shops and roasting the grim Australian curbs.

Do it

PMA

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2020, 09:59:56 PM »
Been trying out my various set-ups on slappy, and my cruiser is the easiest to rip them by a long shot.

Black Label Auby 10-inch, older Indy 169s, and the magic ingredient

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-rat-bones-skateboard-wheels-60mm-90a-green-4-pack

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #237 on: June 28, 2020, 10:20:43 PM »
Anyone ever ridden a heroin curb crusher? Considering one of those in 10.25, with a pair of 215s. Can already slappy my regular ass board daily and nightly but just want something cool for crusing to the shops and roasting the grim Australian curbs.

Aussie curbs are hard to slappy...square, tall and most street slope down into the curb so you got that shit angle to work with too.

we finally found a good parking lot with ok curbs, but only lasted an hour before security kicked us out...by that time all of us had managed to do 1 or 2 slappys.

Benchpress

• Rep: 9
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2020, 12:57:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Aussie curbs are hard to slappy...square, tall and most street slope down into the curb so you got that shit angle to work with too.

we finally found a good parking lot with ok curbs, but only lasted an hour before security kicked us out...by that time all of us had managed to do 1 or 2 slappys.

Yeah Australian street curbs are brutal. Can rock a few newer ones but all the older streets are no go. Mainly hang out at carparks during this time of the year.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2020, 03:25:06 PM »
Been trying out my various set-ups on slappy, and my cruiser is the easiest to rip them by a long shot.

Black Label Auby 10-inch, older Indy 169s, and the magic ingredient

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-rat-bones-skateboard-wheels-60mm-90a-green-4-pack

That sounds like such a good setup. would you mind uploading a pic? I know it is a bit of a hassle.
still sad I slept on all the auby label decks, they were sick and auby and john are worth supporting. That bullnose they used to make, still fiending for that!

PMA