Author Topic: Slappy setups, is that a thing?  (Read 43169 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
Re: Slappy setups, is that a thing?
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2020, 05:35:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Been trying out my various set-ups on slappy, and my cruiser is the easiest to rip them by a long shot.

Black Label Auby 10-inch, older Indy 169s, and the magic ingredient

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-rat-bones-skateboard-wheels-60mm-90a-green-4-pack
[close]

That sounds like such a good setup. would you mind uploading a pic? I know it is a bit of a hassle.
still sad I slept on all the auby label decks, they were sick and auby and john are worth supporting. That bullnose they used to make, still fiending for that!

Since you asked, here you go

I had rails on it but the got torn out riding some rough curbs
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 05:41:10 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2020, 07:19:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone ever ridden a heroin curb crusher? Considering one of those in 10.25, with a pair of 215s. Can already slappy my regular ass board daily and nightly but just want something cool for crusing to the shops and roasting the grim Australian curbs.
[close]

Aussie curbs are hard to slappy...square, tall and most street slope down into the curb so you got that shit angle to work with too.

we finally found a good parking lot with ok curbs, but only lasted an hour before security kicked us out...by that time all of us had managed to do 1 or 2 slappys.
[close]

Yeah Australian street curbs are brutal. Can rock a few newer ones but all the older streets are no go. Mainly hang out at carparks during this time of the year.

hey man...where abouts in aus are you based?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2020, 08:17:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone ever ridden a heroin curb crusher? Considering one of those in 10.25, with a pair of 215s. Can already slappy my regular ass board daily and nightly but just want something cool for crusing to the shops and roasting the grim Australian curbs.
[close]

Aussie curbs are hard to slappy...square, tall and most street slope down into the curb so you got that shit angle to work with too.

we finally found a good parking lot with ok curbs, but only lasted an hour before security kicked us out...by that time all of us had managed to do 1 or 2 slappys.

Thought it was just me, the curbs in Singapore are really tall and square, not like the beautiful red ones you see the pros in LA skating. I managed to find 1 curb slab at a carpark, it's pretty short but I'll skate anything at this point in time.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Benchpress

• Rep: 9
« Reply #243 on: June 30, 2020, 03:54:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah Australian street curbs are brutal. Can rock a few newer ones but all the older streets are no go. Mainly hang out at carparks during this time of the year.
[close]

Adelaide. Yourself?

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #244 on: June 30, 2020, 05:26:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Adelaide. Yourself?

Ah damn...Sydney...thought it could be the start of a slappy crew!

ZachV

• Rep: -9
« Reply #245 on: June 30, 2020, 10:19:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thought it was just me, the curbs in Singapore are really tall and square, not like the beautiful red ones you see the pros in LA skating. I managed to find 1 curb slab at a carpark, it's pretty short but I'll skate anything at this point in time.

I’m so glad I live in California lmao, having access to perfect painted curbs almost anywhere you go is so nice.
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #246 on: July 01, 2020, 12:34:38 AM »
I ride a 8.5 deck, 58 wheels conical shape, venture 6.1 loose trucks and I can't slappy for shit I even wear high top chucks :'( maybe I need more plaid shirts

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #247 on: July 01, 2020, 12:45:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been trying out my various set-ups on slappy, and my cruiser is the easiest to rip them by a long shot.

Black Label Auby 10-inch, older Indy 169s, and the magic ingredient

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-rat-bones-skateboard-wheels-60mm-90a-green-4-pack
[close]

That sounds like such a good setup. would you mind uploading a pic? I know it is a bit of a hassle.
still sad I slept on all the auby label decks, they were sick and auby and john are worth supporting. That bullnose they used to make, still fiending for that!
[close]

Since you asked, here you go

I had rails on it but the got torn out riding some rough curbs

this is a beautiful board

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #248 on: July 01, 2020, 06:03:47 AM »
My slappy setup is a AH orange crusher with Indy 169 and 53mm Slimeball 97a.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #249 on: July 01, 2020, 03:30:03 PM »
that thing is probably a beast. do you notice a big difference with the 97a wheels? in softness versus the crust?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #250 on: July 03, 2020, 05:15:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
that thing is probably a beast. do you notice a big difference with the 97a wheels? in softness versus the crust?

Honestly i can't really tell the difference..seems like the slimeball vomits has some offset. Like if i put the graphics side out, it's kinda flush with the side of the board. If i put the  blank side out, it's not flush with the board

Benchpress

« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2020, 02:23:31 AM »
https://youtu.be/_S8TEoVOIHM

Well took a while but fiddled around with my setup and finally got my first slappy. I toyed with the idea of getting a dedicated slappy setup with 215's and a 10 inch board, turns out just ballsing up and going at it works much better, haha. I did switch to some F4 conical fulls and do find they're way easier to get into than my old V3 STFs. Beyond stoked, such a good feeling.

Was just messing around and got it on film, would be really appreciative for any critique

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: July 14, 2020, 02:09:46 AM »

Well took a while but fiddled around with my setup and finally got my first slappy. I toyed with the idea of getting a dedicated slappy setup with 215's and a 10 inch board, turns out just ballsing up and going at it works much better, haha. I did switch to some F4 conical fulls and do find they're way easier to get into than my old V3 STFs. Beyond stoked, such a good feeling.

Was just messing around and got it on film, would be really appreciative for any critique
you got on fine. Just to make coming off easier, try to avoid having your shoulders open to the direction you’re going. As you get on the curb square up a bit (this will make getting on easier to) and continue rotating as if you were carving a bowl. You’ll stay aligned and it won’t be as awkward getting off

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Benchpress

« Reply #253 on: July 14, 2020, 03:23:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
you got on fine. Just to make coming off easier, try to avoid having your shoulders open to the direction you’re going. As you get on the curb square up a bit (this will make getting on easier to) and continue rotating as if you were carving a bowl. You’ll stay aligned and it won’t be as awkward getting off

Cheers man, appreciate the help! :)

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #254 on: July 14, 2020, 08:07:03 AM »
I ride a 8.5 deck, 58 wheels conical shape, venture 6.1 loose trucks and I can't slappy for shit I even wear high top chucks :'( maybe I need more plaid shirts

Ahhhh, you're missing a key ingredient... cuffed pants

But, for real.  Just keep charging at the curb and it'll eventually click.  I ended up just spending an entire session focusing on slappies and it eventually clicked.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #255 on: July 14, 2020, 09:21:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No critique necessary. Your feet positioning looks perfect. I'm not sure how it works but I know I've done a good backside slappy when my tail actually slaps on the exit... What cucktard said is correct. think of it almost as carve grind in a pool shallow end. Bend your knees and carve in and out. Don't be afraid to go a bit faster and see what happens. Sometimes, with speed and a loose approach you can end up doing all kinds of unplanned moves... 180 out, into lip slide and so on... watch barker barret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAS7nOyH_Gk

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #256 on: July 19, 2020, 06:26:55 AM »
I have been playing with em since it seems I’m the only dude that can’t slappy. I started on a 4” curb with nobody around because that shits embarassing, learning the slap into fs and bs. I did find that a wider board and looser trucks makes it easier for me. I don’t slappy on my 8.25, I use my 8.5 with Thunder 149s if it’s slap-time. I still can’t do them every time, which is lame, and I sure do eat shit a lot.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 01:50:33 PM by FUBAR »

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #257 on: July 20, 2020, 12:03:26 AM »

This is crazy... I set these curbs up!!!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2020, 12:14:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Have a gnar

Benchpress

« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2020, 12:17:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The fuck, haha. That's crazy bro, thankyou. Skate there so often and wondered who had done it. Hope you don't mind.

Did you rub brick it out of interest? It's like butter. So hard to find a good curb spot in Adelaide. I'll make sure to clean it clean and respectful haha.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2020, 05:35:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The fuck, haha. That's crazy bro, thankyou. Skate there so often and wondered who had done it. Hope you don't mind.

Did you rub brick it out of interest? It's like butter. So hard to find a good curb spot in Adelaide. I'll make sure to clean it clean and respectful haha.

All yours man. Might even see you down there one day.

Yeah rubbed and many many coats of clear, the outer two are pretty gritty because I rushed them a little haha

AusFire

• Rep: 0
  • Skate Fast. Skate Hard.
« Reply #261 on: August 15, 2020, 11:22:58 PM »
Guys who do a ton of slappy grinds. Do you setup boards specifically with slappy in mind and if so, what’s your setup?

I ride Ace 55s with an 8.8 board and 54mm Spitfires...
Hobo 8.8
Ace Trucks 55s
Spitfire Wheels
Bronson Raws.

AusFire

• Rep: 0
  • Skate Fast. Skate Hard.
« Reply #262 on: August 15, 2020, 11:25:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm bashing my head against a wall learning this shit, but it's super fun.  I have a Blind Gonz reissue with 169s and 56mm and I can get up on some decent sized curbs, staying on them is the trick.
[close]

Nice

I'm still pretty picky on my curbs. No idea how dudes ride short square curbs the way they do slopers
[close]

Yeah, in Australia its nearly all tall & square.  Sucks.

I'm in australia too... I have no problem with bigger or square curbs.. Its really about the angle
Hobo 8.8
Ace Trucks 55s
Spitfire Wheels
Bronson Raws.

reverbtank

• Rep: 3
« Reply #263 on: November 19, 2020, 12:12:12 PM »
Dang this thread blew up since I was last around.

When I made it I really had just started learning slappies and shit. Been skating a curb behind my work a lot and have dialed in my setups now. Frontside slappy is second nature now.

Pretty much anything over 8.75 with 159+ trucks feels good. I have that and a Zip Zogger with 215s now.  8) Got 101 53mm tablets on it and 99 53mm Skate Like a Girl Radials on the 8.75. No riser on either. Blue medium hard bushings with the nut level with the kingpin. Single rail on each. I’m 33 and hurt a lot, so besides skating a box or QP we also have behind work, it’s basically just curbs!

Can slappy with any setup, but damn does it feel good on a wide, surfy feeling board.

I’ll post some pics!

reverbtank

• Rep: 3
« Reply #264 on: November 19, 2020, 06:37:54 PM »

My Zip Zogger and a fs slappy if you swipe.  ::)

http://www.instagram.com/p/CHyfNhBlMEu/?igshid=1105g511ssiga
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 06:50:29 PM by reverbtank »

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #265 on: January 11, 2021, 09:38:38 PM »
Since this thread is one of my favorites, gonna shamelesly bump it up. Maybe someone could move it to shoes & gear since it kind off belongs there?

Currently riding 8,75 Quasi, Venture 6.1 and 60mm Spitfire classics. Since covid hit again in my country beginning of the winter, i've been trying my ass off to learn slappies in the near by parking garage. Yesterday managed to learn switch backside slappy which suprisingly came so easy compared to regular bs slappies. 60mm wheels have definitely helped since you can ride away from everything. Ventures kinda need lot of wax, but haven't been a problem yet. Had to change bushings for bones mediums since the cold weather didn't really allow bushings to turn properly. Also put 1/8" Thunder risers on to help with wheelbite. Maybe when i get to the axle, i could try Ace or Indy. If anyone has experiences on Aces and slappys, would love to hear it. Anyone else been slappying around lately?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2021, 03:11:15 AM »
I am very rusty with slappy grinds, but this setup makes them fun.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ77M1klTQh/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2021, 01:14:04 PM »
Since I dont want to get hurt during the pandemic (not trying to end up in a Covid filled hospital) I’ve been doing a shit load of curb skating. After trying a few things I’ve decided I like 8.5”, Indy 149, and 53-54mm 99a f4s. I used to skate thunders, and they’re good for a lot of purposes, but indies grind and turn a little more appropriately for slappies. And less wheelbite if you like to keep things loosely goosey (part of the slappy experience imo).

But now I have a question: I set up a cruiser with 87a OJ keyframes, ace 55, and a polar dane1. It’s a ton of fun to roll around on but those damn bouncy wheels are not great for slappies  >:(

Do other people get slappies done with soft wheels? Any recommendations for techniques, or for alternative wheels?

kimura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2021, 06:46:20 PM »
I’m a bigger (6’ 215lb] older dude (47) and been messing around with setups for slappies. For me the 215’s are too wide. They slip all over the curb when I get on top. Maybe once the get broken in a bit more they will chill out but I find 169 to be the sweet spot for me with a 9-10” board and 1/4” risers. F4 99a 56mm conical fulls. I ride my trucks pretty loose but use bones hard bushings. Works for me. I blow out stock Indy bushings just cuz of my size.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #269 on: January 27, 2021, 12:37:39 AM »
Since I dont want to get hurt during the pandemic (not trying to end up in a Covid filled hospital) I’ve been doing a shit load of curb skating. After trying a few things I’ve decided I like 8.5”, Indy 149, and 53-54mm 99a f4s. I used to skate thunders, and they’re good for a lot of purposes, but indies grind and turn a little more appropriately for slappies. And less wheelbite if you like to keep things loosely goosey (part of the slappy experience imo).

But now I have a question: I set up a cruiser with 87a OJ keyframes, ace 55, and a polar dane1. It’s a ton of fun to roll around on but those damn bouncy wheels are not great for slappies  >:(

Do other people get slappies done with soft wheels? Any recommendations for techniques, or for alternative wheels?

I can do frontside/backside slappy 50s, frontside slappy smiths, and backside slappy boardslides (if you consider boardsliding a double sided curb to be a slappy). All very doable on soft wheels. The key frames work great for me. No issues with it being too bouncy. If the ground is real chunky where you're at, Ricta cloud 78a are the only soft soft wheel I can personally recommend since they're the only set of 78a that haven't chunked out on me.

Idk about techniques I kinda do mine the same regardless if they're hard or soft. If anything, soft wheels have more give so if you mess up the timing of like transitioning your weight from heel to toe (for fs slappys) they'll help you get up on the curb easier.