Author Topic: I NEED HELP AND SOLUTIONS TON MY PROBLEMS ( IM NEW ON SKATEBOARDING WORLD )  (Read 620 times)

leanboii33

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Hello ,

So here I have some problems and a question to you:

I would like to start skateboarding, the thing is that I'm 21 years old and I'm tall and skinny af (6 ft 3 (190 cm) for 136 lbs), Is it too late? and Could my atypical physique slow me down (knowing that I'm pretty clumsy)?

The second problem is that I have an anxiety disorder (I have ADHD and depression with it) and I am very sensitive to the eyes of others, which freaks me enormously to make it in the city, break my face does not bother me at all. is normal but when you look at me or what I can not do ... How would you overcome this problem?

Third, what are the tips for getting started on skateboarding for someone who arrives to start on a good foundation?

A French Baguette Guy. Peace !

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1193
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hello ,

I would like to start skateboarding, the thing is that I'm 21 years old and I'm tall and skinny af (6 ft 3 (190 cm) for 136 lbs), Is it too late? and Could my atypical physique slow me down (knowing that I'm pretty clumsy)?

The second problem is that I have an anxiety disorder (I have ADHD and depression with it) and I am very sensitive to the eyes of others, which freaks me enormously to make it in the city, break my face does not bother me at all. is normal but when you look at me or what I can not do ... How would you overcome this problem?

Third, what are the tips for getting started on skateboarding for someone who arrives to start on a good foundation?

Good news: you’re not too late.  Bad news: being naturally clumsy isn’t going to do you any favors, but it isn’t a complete deal breaker.

First off, you’re going to need to watch this:

Tony Hawk has earned multiple medals in the X-Games so he knows what he’s talking about.

Due to your Olive Oyl-esque body, avoid baggy shirts.  They could possibly act as a sail when you are going fast or skating in strong wind.  If you must wear a large shirt, you’re going to want to tuck that bad boy in.

Now that we’ve laid the foundation, to combat your psychological issues, let’s talk disguises.  This will ease you in to skating in public.  I recommend these:

Since no one will be able to identify you, it kind of takes the pressure off.  As you get more comfortable and gain some confidence, you can ditch the disguise if you’d like.  Only when you’re ready though.

Do not buy your skateboard in a department store or a toy store.  If you have a decent local skate shop, they can help you pick out what’s right for you. 

That’s pretty much all I can tell you.  Be safe and have fun!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 07:31:22 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Get in there.  It'll be fun.  Skateboarding will help.

Eventually you get dicksucks.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

leanboii33

Hey  SneakySecrets !

Thanks for your message haha you made me laugh with disguise x)

yeah i know Tony Hawk i will watch dat video thanks ! I have a skateshop near from my house np with that ;).

leanboii33

Get in there.  It'll be fun.  Skateboarding will help.

Eventually you get dicksucks.

Hey Joust ! yeah i will probably enter in skateboard world thanks for your message ;)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1193
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Welcome my friend. 🙏
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

element4life

• Rep: 7
sounds like you have an eating disorder 

element4life

ever consider that weighing 130 fucking pounds when ur 6'3 might not be the best for your mental health? I'm 6'2 and become a miserable bitch if i dip below 170

thomas kook

ever consider that weighing 130 fucking pounds when ur 6'3 might not be the best for your mental health? I'm 6'2 and become a miserable bitch if i dip below 170

explain

leanboii33

I am not anorexia , i have a genetic specificity that is "constitutional thinness" i have a low bone density : https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/93/1/110/2598259

Little definition of constitutional thinness : The constitutional thinness (MC) is a physiological state of thinness (13-17,5kg / m2) without disturbance of the alimentary behavior, with biological markers of undernutrition and the conservation of the gonadotropic axis.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 06:56:54 AM by leanboii33 »

leanboii33

Which board size do you recommend to me for my body ? PS: i have little feet for my height ( 10 US SIZE )
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 07:35:29 AM by leanboii33 »

element4life

Expand Quote
[close]

explain

whats to explain? the dude must look like a heroin addict or skeleton if he's 6'3 and 130 lbs. if hes anxious over wondering if people are judging him well they definitely are.

the fact that his name is leanboi33 suggest that: (a) he's a fuckin person and (b) he considers his thinness to be an identity trait and probably goes out of his way to maintain what is truly an unhealthy body weight for someone that size

eat a bunch of deep fried food everyday and start lifting weights and doing balance related workouts, once you get to at least 155 lbs you should feel better about yourself but try to get to 165 or 170 if you can.

leanboii33

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

explain
[close]

whats to explain? the dude must look like a heroin addict or skeleton if he's 6'3 and 130 lbs. if hes anxious over wondering if people are judging him well they definitely are.

the fact that his name is leanboi33 suggest that: (a) he's a fuckin person and (b) he considers his thinness to be an identity trait and probably goes out of his way to maintain what is truly an unhealthy body weight for someone that size

eat a bunch of deep fried food everyday and start lifting weights and doing balance related workouts, once you get to at least 155 lbs you should feel better about yourself but try to get to 165 or 170 if you can.

I suggest option A , watch what i said , and i am 140 lbs not 130 i wrong about that im french so i US Size is not the same in Europe

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
My setup suggestions:

8" - 8.5" Board. There are a lot of brands but not as many wood shops. BBS Generator is one good bet.
Independent Trucks
Bones Reds Bearings
Spitfire 52mm

On the shoes... you are gonna have to figure out if you like skating vulcanized or cupsole style shoes.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

leanboii33

Thanks man ! :)

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
I was 6' 3" and 145lbs when my thyroid was hyperactive. Was also super anxious because of it. If you're self conscious, hit the skate park early before the crowd comes in if you can. I'm not too sure about your condition, I'd say take it slow at first and have fun with it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:54:16 PM by UselessAsshole »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
Ron Whaley made it work

leanboii33

I was 6' 3" and 145lbs when my thyroid was hyperactive. Was also super anxious because of it. If you're self conscious, hit the skate park early before the crowd comes in if you can. I'm not too sure about your condition, I'd say take it slow at first and have fun with it.

:O i hope you're good with that , how much is your weight ? yeah thyroid problem suck , when i do exam to know what i have ( before i was diagnosticed constitutional thinness ) , doctor think a have a thyroid problem but these assumptions were quickly dismissed , yeah i will test in an isolated place for the beginning , and after i will test skatepark ;) Peace !

leanboii33

Ron Whaley made it work

:O i dont know this guy , yeah I'm pretty much like him , he is skinny

leanboii33

So it encourages me a lot! thanks dude !

thomas kook

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

explain
[close]

i just did some math and you're right. i thought 6'3" was like 180 but it's actually like 10 cm taller than that. that's pretty fucked i guess. i'm 135 lbs on a good day but i'm like 5'10" which is why i was wondering what you meant, but i still wonder what being underweight has to do with mental health. oh wait i just read the second bit of your post. also about the third bit i don't think eating a lot of deep fried food is a very good diet to have. that's another trainwreck of a post brought to you by marihuana

element4life

some skinny people have a hard time gaining weight even if they eat a lot of normal foods. eating deep fried food as a younger guy for a couple of weeks isn't going to kill you.

element4life

as for weight in relation to mental health it's probably more of a nutrition thing if you are avoiding eating in general you probably aren't getting what your body needs to function properly and that includes your brain

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -376
  • ants suck!
My setup suggestions:

8" - 8.58.75" Board. There are a lot of brands but not as many wood shops. BBS Generator is one good bet.
Independent Trucks
Bones Reds Bearings
Spitfire 52mm

On the shoes... you are gonna have to figure out if you like skating vulcanized or cupsole style shoes.
fixed it.
Get an 8.75 and your trucks should be 169's and id suggest a creature board if possible
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
bring a huge boombox to the skate park, blast wu tang, or even share the aux cord

learn in your drive way, get comfortable on the board first, don't rush into an ollie

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
I started skating seriously at 24, I'm 28 this year.

always been athletic in general though, tennis, basketball, track, etc.

always had a skateboard around kinda though since was like 13, learnt 180s, shoves, ollie and fakie-ollies at 18, stopped progressing to pursue partying lol.

this is my progress of the past 3 years, still can't kick flip

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Hello ,

Is never too late, you can find many tall skateboarders. Robbie Brockel seems pretty tall

Skate in mornings, skaters are lazy. Th0at way eventually you'll encounter somebody who doesn't likes crowds and you can deal with it not alone.

Best tip: don't be a dick and practice like crazy.

Answers in BOLD
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
Expand Quote
[close]

:O i hope you're good with that , how much is your weight ? yeah thyroid problem suck , when i do exam to know what i have ( before i was diagnosticed constitutional thinness ) , doctor think a have a thyroid problem but these assumptions were quickly dismissed , yeah i will test in an isolated place for the beginning , and after i will test skatepark ;) Peace !

They obliterated my thyroid and put me on replacement hormone. I pudged out quick while they were getting my dose right though, haha. I'm floating around 200 these days, but am happy that I can sleep again. Good luck to you!

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
pretty sure tall dudes have an easier time jumping on rails

ArtVandelay

as for weight in relation to mental health it's probably more of a nutrition thing if you are avoiding eating in general you probably aren't getting what your body needs to function properly and that includes your brain

Yeah you definitely know what you're talking about...