Author Topic: RIP Ben Raemers  (Read 117618 times)

Raccoon Manne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -48
Re: RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #360 on: October 25, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »
I remember hearing an interview with someone who survived jumping off a bridge who was asked what he thought in the second as he fell. He said something like “Fuck fuck fuck I shouldn’t have done that.”

Life changes so much, if it is bad, it will get better. My years as a teenager were terrible, my 20's sucked and my 30's were good and bad. If I wasn't alive I wouldn't be able to take care of my awesome dogs, which brings me more joy than anything. When I get down, I imagine playing with them and putting happiness in my own mind instead of letting the external bad take over internally. RIP Ben
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:34:21 AM by Raccoon Manne »

Lin Thizzy

• Rep: 86
« Reply #361 on: October 25, 2019, 02:34:59 PM »
Just stoppin' by to say RIP Ben Raemers.
Raccoon Manne's post about imagining playing with his dogs and putting happiness into his own mind is powerful and sage advice.
Thanks for that.
Thinkin' about all my dawgs right now.
Past, present and future.

Raccoon Manne

• Rep: -48
« Reply #362 on: October 27, 2019, 04:33:28 AM »
Just stoppin' by to say RIP Ben Raemers.
Raccoon Manne's post about imagining playing with his dogs and putting happiness into his own mind is powerful and sage advice.
Thanks for that.
Thinkin' about all my dawgs right now.
Past, present and future.

I actually got that from Mark Snider and his podcast Ohio Exopolitics which is available on podbean. I'd recommend that cast to anyone interested in organizing their thoughts and spirituality regardless if you believe the Billy Meier case or not, powerful stuff.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #363 on: November 05, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »
the book enjoi and cons put out is really great.

happy birthday ben

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1224
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #364 on: November 05, 2019, 05:01:07 PM »
I try not to put this out there because it won’t reverse anything and I don’t like feeling as if it looks like I’m asking for sympathy, but I’ve seen a lot of people in here going through things and I just read the post about someone’s mom dealing with suicidal people and their thoughts after they’ve took action and I just wanna say that i lost my mom to a purposeful overdose October 1st of this year and whether any of you are parents or not and having these thoughts, don’t do it. Please don’t. Whether you know it or not, someone out there loves and cares for you beyond your comprehension. Your white flag is someone else’s battle. This shits been tough and I got the privilege of having a mom for only 20 short years. My life as well as my family’s life will never be the same, and neither will any of you guys loved ones if you let substance abuse, depression, or anything along those line get the best of you. People here want to help, strangers want to help, people you know want to help, your family wants to help, so don’t be afraid to reach out.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #365 on: November 05, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »
Shalom versacekid. Life sucks sometimes I know all too well, but it doesn't suck all the time. Keep your head up bro  8)

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #366 on: November 05, 2019, 05:06:31 PM »
Shalom versacekid. Life sucks sometimes I know all too well, but it doesn't suck all the time. Keep your head up bro  8)
thanks man, and you’re right it doesn’t. Believe it or not, I’ve been on slap more since everything’s been going on than I ever have. Oddly enough it feels like a safe place. Cool people on here

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #367 on: November 05, 2019, 06:35:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
thanks man, and you’re right it doesn’t. Believe it or not, I’ve been on slap more since everything’s been going on than I ever have. Oddly enough it feels like a safe place. Cool people on here

great group of people on here.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #368 on: November 05, 2019, 07:10:26 PM »
I try not to put this out there because it won’t reverse anything and I don’t like feeling as if it looks like I’m asking for sympathy, but I’ve seen a lot of people in here going through things and I just read the post about someone’s mom dealing with suicidal people and their thoughts after they’ve took action and I just wanna say that i lost my mom to a purposeful overdose October 1st of this year and whether any of you are parents or not and having these thoughts, don’t do it. Please don’t. Whether you know it or not, someone out there loves and cares for you beyond your comprehension. Your white flag is someone else’s battle. This shits been tough and I got the privilege of having a mom for only 20 short years. My life as well as my family’s life will never be the same, and neither will any of you guys loved ones if you let substance abuse, depression, or anything along those line get the best of you. People here want to help, strangers want to help, people you know want to help, your family wants to help, so don’t be afraid to reach out.

Thank you for posting this, dude.
I wish you and your family peace, strength and the unity that loss can bring.

Shalom

PMA

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #369 on: November 05, 2019, 08:36:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you for posting this, dude.
I wish you and your family peace, strength and the unity that loss can bring.

Shalom
thank you so much man

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #370 on: November 05, 2019, 09:43:58 PM »
Rest easy Ben.

Tell the people close to you that you love them.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
« Reply #371 on: May 01, 2020, 02:25:18 PM »

Sorry for bumping this from oblivion. Rest In Peace, Ben!

gumsole

• Rep: 22
« Reply #372 on: May 01, 2020, 02:56:11 PM »
Man that's one heavy read.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #373 on: May 01, 2020, 03:07:31 PM »
RIP Ben. I feel so sorry for his family
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #374 on: May 01, 2020, 03:11:53 PM »
I've lost several friends to suicide.  All of them skated.   Love your friends like there is no tomorrow.  Tell them you love them in person.  Not via likes.   We will always miss you Ben.  You too Jeff.   We miss you both.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #375 on: May 01, 2020, 03:19:15 PM »
Nah this is a worthwhile bump. Suicide is such a bummer. RIP

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
« Reply #376 on: May 01, 2020, 04:14:12 PM »
Expand Quote
I remember hearing an interview with someone who survived jumping off a bridge who was asked what he thought in the second as he fell. He said something like “Fuck fuck fuck I shouldn’t have done that.”
[close]

Life changes so much, if it is bad, it will get better. My years as a teenager were terrible, my 20's sucked and my 30's were good and bad. If I wasn't alive I wouldn't be able to take care of my awesome dogs, which brings me more joy than anything. When I get down, I imagine playing with them and putting happiness in my own mind instead of letting the external bad take over internally. RIP Ben
Life doesn't always get better, sometimes it just gets worse. If you love skating and have an injury take it away it's not going to get better ever again.

You are going to live so much longer then your dogs, how are things going to get better when both your dogs die and leave you without them?

Not trying to be a prick but life rarely gets better and if it does get better it's temporary and comes at a major cost ( get a dog, become best friends for years and it's great and BOOM now you are grieving your best friend )

Samson Simpson

• Rep: -8
« Reply #377 on: May 01, 2020, 04:21:00 PM »
I remember being at the Cinebar in SJ one night after he won some big contest, and him and the Enjoi crew were doing it up proper...dudes energy was infectious. Never said more than a few words to him, but his death shook me, and still does. Last person on earth I’d have expected to take his own life...but I’ve said that too many times.
RIP.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #378 on: May 01, 2020, 05:46:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Life doesn't always get better, sometimes it just gets worse. If you love skating and have an injury take it away it's not going to get better ever again.

You are going to live so much longer then your dogs, how are things going to get better when both your dogs die and leave you without them?

Not trying to be a prick but life rarely gets better and if it does get better it's temporary and comes at a major cost ( get a dog, become best friends for years and it's great and BOOM now you are grieving your best friend )

I think that is an unnecessarily pessimistic view (and this is coming from someone who has struggles with depression and suicidal thoughts) and I hope you change your mind in the long run.

My therapist once told me -- after I complained about my fear of getting involved with something good that I figured was not going to last forever -- why start a movie if you know it will end? Why eat a meal if you know you will finish it? Why do any [insert activity/relationship here] if you know/suspect it will come to a close?

Because that is life. And you have to enjoy it as best you can. Why let catastrophic thinking keep you from enjoying yourself and the small pleasantries that life affords?

Life is bigger than skateboarding (hard to believe, I know). Life doesn't "rarely" get better; it gets better often actually. There's always a light at the end of the tunnel and if you hang on long enough, you will get there.  Bad times will pass. If you get a dog or a partner and give it/him/her your love, it could pass away and you will be sad for a while, but then you will get a new dog/partner and you will love and be loved again.

It is better to have loved and lost than never loved at all.

RIP to Ben.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #379 on: May 01, 2020, 06:02:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not only is it a pessimistic view, it's a fucking irresponsible thing to write when vulnerable people might be, and are reading. Fuck of SlapRhaters.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 06:07:35 PM by Burt Ward »
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #380 on: May 02, 2020, 10:00:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Not only is it a pessimistic view, it's a fucking irresponsible thing to write when vulnerable people might be, and are reading. Fuck of SlapRhaters.

For real. The dog passing thing is very sad but you can rest in the comfort that you gave them a good life and cherish the memories you had with them. Getting injured is also something you can recover from. If you want to skate again, you will likely be able to get back to it in some regard. Cardiel was never supposed to walk again. Keep your head up raccoon manner, raccoons and dogs are rad animals.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #381 on: May 14, 2020, 11:22:25 PM »
Feel this deserves a bump. RIP Ben

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #382 on: May 15, 2020, 01:12:02 AM »

Skimper

• Rep: -64
« Reply #383 on: May 15, 2020, 04:39:42 AM »
Rip he is one of the greatest to ever do it
Shalom

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #384 on: July 15, 2022, 02:32:20 PM »
BBC article on Ben Raemers, sorry if it was already posted somewhere else

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-61882028

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #385 on: July 15, 2022, 02:41:20 PM »

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #386 on: July 16, 2022, 01:10:54 PM »

That looks like a really good feeling trick. And that spot is awesome.

RIP Ben

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2022, 02:54:46 PM »
Ben left us too soon. If anyone needs to talk, please don't be afraid to reach out. RIP Ben
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #388 on: July 16, 2022, 03:34:07 PM »
Someone should edit a Raemers part to Holland 1945 by Neutral Milk Hotel.

wil540

• Rep: -13
« Reply #389 on: July 17, 2022, 09:14:12 AM »
RIP Ben Raemers

Big respect to his family for what they are doing. Dude could absolutely shred.