Author Topic: The nine club addresses the slap message board hates  (Read 22216 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 06:25:09 PM by Willie »

Jerrys Kid

• Rep: 56
Re: The nine club addresses the slap message board hates
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 06:24:44 PM »
I don't get the ''wouldn't say it to someones face'' argument. No shit most people have enough common decency not to say random negative comments to a random person's face, but they still say it behind their back. Message boards don't create hate, they just give you a chance to see what people really think which might burst your bubble if you lack the self-awareness.

While I agree that there are some toxic opinions being shared and trolls, but I think there's room in the skate industry for some kind of discourse and criticism. If there was an actual newspaper which reported on some of the bullshit happening around the industry, I'm sure everyone would hate them as well. There isn't, so we're just fed a narrative that everyone is a legend, every part is sick, and no one is getting screwed over.

brettpancake

• Rep: 2
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 06:26:47 PM »
Like I said in the other thread I didn’t think they were gonna include the slap talk in the episode since I started with “you can cut this”. Was only gonna ask them if they’d be down to do the slap pals questions then it turned into a full blown conversation with me painfully rambling on with no end. I do sound like an idiot after a while and I didn’t expect to take up 20 min of the episode (I’d hate me too). Hit up Eldridge after the show aired since I didn’t mean to bum him out so hard, we’re good. Also yes I do hope to eventually ease up to Roger and dig into him with everything I got  :-*

Also as stated above most of the trolls are new posters.

Props to you for actually asking questions that foster good conversation. I found Kelly and Steezus' responses to be a little childish but I bet Roger is secretly keen for SLAP pal questions.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 06:55:07 PM »
Shouts to monkey mcpott's diplomacy 
Plus your production value is perfect
Anyone who says less has Coby headphones
and a bootleg kindle
nobody says “rootin tootin” anymore to describe how gas the session was and it makes me sick

thenotoriousP.R.A.W.N

• Rep: -14
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 07:14:18 PM »
i am 100% a new poster ( i came to this shit late as we don't have anything like this in Australia ) and i fucking love the nine club....... i cant understand why people talk shit about it, its a fuckload more informative then that cringey ripride with that washed up heroin addict.

i listen to the nine club everyday to and from my drive home from work

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 655
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 07:57:44 PM »
Wait was mcpott not trolling them into talking about how much they don’t like talking about slap? That’s what I thought happened

Free max b
FREE MAX B

Crack Whore

• Rep: -16
  • no double on the midnight menu
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »
Mike mo is a pro skater who has never had a real job, he's entitled to doing his conky sock puppet childish voice. But I tell ya what, if he ever pulls up to my construction site talking like that he's gonna get smacked so hard in the back of the head with a 2x4.

And Steezus just has too much black power, 2 blac 2 strong.

All you shiteating faggots saying i cant ollie need to shut the fuck up. Of course i can ollie, im just critiquing the brail skateboarding video where the guy says to pop straight up.

lolhater843

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 08:17:52 PM »
i watch it sometimes when im really lonely at night and want to watch a skater i've admired since my youth talk about the good ol days and how washed they are..other than that fuck these goofs. shalom

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 08:20:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mike mo is a pro skater who has never had a real job, he's entitled to doing his conky sock puppet childish voice. But I tell ya what, if he ever pulls up to my construction site talking like that he's gonna get smacked so hard in the back of the head with a 2x4.

And Steezus just has too much black power, 2 blac 2 strong.
[close]

Did I miss something or does mike mo not own and operate a multi million dollar glasses company?
[close]

You're tripping if you think Glassy is a multi million dollar company.

Am I though? That’s not that many pairs of prescription glasses to sell to break millions and they’ve become pretty popular.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 08:46:08 PM »
erry single one of your BW accounts have been terrible, stop.

D10S

• Rep: -64
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2019, 08:54:06 PM »
I don't get the ''wouldn't say it to someones face'' argument. No shit most people have enough common decency not to say random negative comments to a random person's face, but they still say it behind their back. Message boards don't create hate, they just give you a chance to see what people really think which might burst your bubble if you lack the self-awareness.

this.

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2019, 09:04:34 PM »
Never got the nine club hate on here, but damn if slap trolls ain’t livin rent free in Roberts head.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2019, 09:14:42 PM »
i am 100% a new poster ( i came to this shit late as we don't have anything like this in Australia ) and i fucking love the nine club....... i cant understand why people talk shit about it, its a fuckload more informative then that cringey ripride with that washed up heroin addict.

i listen to the nine club everyday to and from my drive home from work

how have you STILL not learned to do sigs right?

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

guest1

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2019, 09:21:29 PM »
Like I said in the other thread I didn’t think they were gonna include the slap talk in the episode since I started with “you can cut this”. Was only gonna ask them if they’d be down to do the slap pals questions then it turned into a full blown conversation with me painfully rambling on with no end. I do sound like an idiot after a while and I didn’t expect to take up 20 min of the episode (I’d hate me too). Hit up Eldridge after the show aired since I didn’t mean to bum him out so hard, we’re good. Also yes I do hope to eventually ease up to Roger and dig into him with everything I got  :-*

How do you have all these connects to people in the industry?

reverbtank

• Rep: 3
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2019, 09:25:54 PM »
Slap gets a bad rap.

I’ve been surprised, as a fairly new user having heard the reputation of Slap, at how progressive and helpful people are around here.

The Ben Raemer’s thread has a good discussion on mental illness and suicide. The Pal’s job thread has a lot of advice for people moving within or changing careers, lacking passion, feeling lost, etc... Just a couple examples of the positivity I see here.

Of course there’s trolling and unfiltered opinions, like anywhere on the internet with anonymity. I’m sure the YouTube comments section on Nine Club’s videos can be just as bad or worse.

A place like Slap serves a purpose of keeping a lot of skaters and the industry in check.

You want to see toxic? Go look at Thrasher Instagram comments, especially the ones on anything that has to do with women skateboarding.

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2019, 09:36:35 PM »
Slap gets a bad rap.

I’ve been surprised, as a fairly new user having heard the reputation of Slap, at how progressive and helpful people are around here.

The Ben Raemer’s thread has a good discussion on mental illness and suicide. The Pal’s job thread has a lot of advice for people moving within or changing careers, lacking passion, feeling lost, etc... Just a couple examples of the positivity I see here.

Of course there’s trolling and unfiltered opinions, like anywhere on the internet with anonymity. I’m sure the YouTube comments section on Nine Club’s videos can be just as bad or worse.

A place like Slap serves a purpose of keeping a lot of skaters and the industry in check.

You want to see toxic? Go look at Thrasher Instagram comments, especially the ones on anything that has to do with women skateboarding.

tru tru
" I did not say this I am not here"

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2019, 09:48:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How do you have all these connects to people in the industry?

Honey Island

Ghost Face

• Rep: 125
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2019, 11:31:08 PM »
I haven't watched an "experience" show but have watched about 80% of the 9club shows. Really enjoyed most of them.

Kelly adds some good hype and is generally really amped on the guys they have on. Obviously his video and 411 knowledge is good.

Roger has some great knowledge on the industry and being on trips and shoot which I like too. I just wish he'd speak up more, be a little more bold and drive the interview a bit.  He has some good comments that seem to be ignored and not answered by the guest sometimes.

It's Crob's show and I get Kelly and Rog might not want/be able to take charge of the interview but Crob needs to up his research going in. Most of what he says is either "get outta here" "this guy" " oh, i didn't know that" "oh really" etc and waits for the guest to says something he can then ask someone extra about.

He needs some "tell us about the time...." "you had an interview about...." "whats you take on ....." etc etc

But anyway, I hope they can see the constructive comments that Slap brings. If they can't see past the trolling, they need to get off the internet.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

ScudMantels

• Rep: -104
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2019, 11:43:43 PM »
I just watched the Slap pals part of the show and when it was mentioned Steezus's face looked like he wanted Slap banned from skateboarding haha.
I didn't see that much wrong with the Steezus thread but I do believe he had a few drinks and needed to simmer down with his black pride shit.
 The Nine Club is all acting like they're above the law and cannot take any kind of criticism then will deflect and call anything thrown at them trolling.

excitableboy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2019, 12:31:49 AM »
I bought the KA model from Glassy online a while back. The design is nice but unfortunately it’s a flimsy piece of plastic.

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean

element4life

• Rep: 7
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2019, 12:43:55 AM »
I'm fuckin regular

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1447
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2019, 01:23:10 AM »
its a fuckload more informative then that cringey ripride with that washed up heroin addict.

It's hard to tell because there's several big name washed up heroin addicts in skateboarding. But if you're talking about Grosso, then you're being unnecessarily testy and should retract your statement.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

element4life

• Rep: 7
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2019, 01:25:45 AM »
pretty obvious that was referring to andy roy but i'll be sure to let grosso know he comes to mind when you read cringey washed up heroin addict

Black Frycook

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2019, 01:47:39 AM »
Imagine taking anything seriously on the internet

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2019, 02:03:06 AM »
Let’s all remember when these guys had Daryl Angel as a guest.

Why would you want validation from Chris Roberts? He’s a fucking dork and if he wants me to say it to his face he can DM me, I’ll charge him for it cameo style.

And Steezus coming off as holier than thou , I remember him having Instagram flame wars with a differently abled kid from his home city over comments about romantic comedies. So elevated you fucking industry haemorrhoid.

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2019, 02:59:24 AM »
The nine club is great, but so is the hate on these forums. You need both for a healthy skate culture. Anonymous slap trolls posting industry truths despite how harsh they might sound is a great contribution to skateboarding. Its keeps it real and people involved accountable. It shows that there are consequences for being a kook, ego tripper or someone milking it. The one thing i worry about the 9club is that they may be starting to beleive the hype and compliments they hear.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2019, 03:05:55 AM »
The nine club is great, but so is the hate on these forums. You need both for a healthy skate culture. Anonymous slap trolls posting industry truths despite how harsh they might sound is a great contribution to skateboarding. Its keeps it real and people involved accountable. It shows that there are consequences for being a kook, ego tripper or someone milking it. The one thing i worry about the 9club is that they may be starting to beleive the hype and compliments they hear.
I think that’s already happening, Roberts saying “we’re in the lime light” , “we’ve got our own show” “we’re into high production value”.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2019, 04:05:32 AM »
I think the big take away from that episode is that if we want to be men, we don’t take it to Instagram. We post pics of our faces for Kelly.

Also

Who the fuck are you people?

Suave

• Rep: -21
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2019, 04:09:01 AM »
pretty obvious that was referring to andy roy but i'll be sure to let grosso know he comes to mind when you read cringey washed up heroin addict
eric j, brian seber, who on antihero wasn't a washed up heroin addict? respectfully cause ya'll rule but it seems like that's a prerequisite to get on the 1-8.