Author Topic: Shitty Wheel Thread  (Read 7259 times)

SirPizzaSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
Re: Shitty Wheel Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2019, 06:37:33 PM »
Expand Quote
The Spitfire 80HDs suck. Slow on anything like sharkin said. On rough ground OJ Keyframes are twice as fast and they both slide equally not at all.
[close]

I was going to say these as well. I just went through two sets of Spitfire 80HD Chargers in a couple of weeks because they fell apart so quickly and easily. One unlucky pebble strike or slightly sharp sidewalk crack (especially while they're new) and you can completely ruin a wheel. If you can get a set with a decently machined core (there's manufacturing issues there as well) and get past the first couple of weeks or so they seem to harden up and handle the usual things a cruising wheel should handle a bit better. Problem is, then they seem to get much slower.

I'm on Acid Chemical Co 55mm 86A Pods now and though Keyframes are better than 80HD's these seem a bit faster and are USA made rather than China. I have to roll over a lot of metal grates in the road where I live in Okinawa and the Pods are really taking a beating quite well with little noticeable wear and tear to the wheel.
spitfires made in SF OJ’s made in China.

afoct5

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2019, 07:12:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Spitfire 80HDs suck. Slow on anything like sharkin said. On rough ground OJ Keyframes are twice as fast and they both slide equally not at all.
[close]

I was going to say these as well. I just went through two sets of Spitfire 80HD Chargers in a couple of weeks because they fell apart so quickly and easily. One unlucky pebble strike or slightly sharp sidewalk crack (especially while they're new) and you can completely ruin a wheel. If you can get a set with a decently machined core (there's manufacturing issues there as well) and get past the first couple of weeks or so they seem to harden up and handle the usual things a cruising wheel should handle a bit better. Problem is, then they seem to get much slower.

I'm on Acid Chemical Co 55mm 86A Pods now and though Keyframes are better than 80HD's these seem a bit faster and are USA made rather than China. I have to roll over a lot of metal grates in the road where I live in Okinawa and the Pods are really taking a beating quite well with little noticeable wear and tear to the wheel.
[close]
spitfires made in SF OJ’s made in China.

In comparing Acid Chemical Co Pods to Oj Keyframes (which are very similar wheels) I referred to Acid being made in the USA and Keyframes in China. I just stated that Keyframes were better than 80HD's in my experience, not that Spitfire was made in China. Sorry if you misunderstood.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2019, 09:32:43 PM »
Day 4 on the classics. Today they felt kinda sticky? They felt great the other day but I don’t know what it is. I tried to take them down hill for a powerslide test. They slid ok then. Do all 4 wheels have to slide for it to be a legit powerslide? I’ve been sliding with my back wheels which means I’m probably doing it wrong. But anyways, the threads are slowly making their way off but I don’t know what the purpose of those are? They have a few little chunks taken out of them and a few chips but no flat spots. So far I’d rate these wheels 7/10. The shape is good, I think that the formula needs work. I understand that there is the f4’s but I think the classics should still be sold and worked on. These are 99d and they slide pretty good, they stick sometimes but I think you just get over it. These are good wheels for the price but I can see why some people prefer F4’s.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2019, 11:19:28 PM »
Has anyone tried speedlab wheels?

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2019, 06:40:36 PM »
Hubba wheels got a pair kicked down to me and they chunked up when I had it in storage and skated it a few months later. What I mean is I was cruising down a hill hitting some slides and what not they literally started breaking apart. Garbage ass wheels
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2019, 01:16:09 PM »
About a week or two in on these wheels and they feel good. Unfortunately I didn’t skate long today because I got bummed out by the amount of people were around and just felt like going back to my coffin to lurk on slap. I really like how the wheels feel. Does anyone else get bummed out when someone tells you how to skate? I do.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2019, 07:39:32 PM »
OJ concentrates & Ricta's = the same urethane, it's all NHS

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2019, 07:52:32 PM »
I had some crupies apex formula wheels this past winter I was hyped to try but they ended up sucking. These things didn't slide for shit. It was literally impossible to do a powerslide. It was strange because these weren't a soft wheel by any means. Well broken in and still didn't slide at all. I ended up throwing them in the trash and getting formula fours again.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2019, 11:18:49 PM »
I had some crupies apex formula wheels this past winter I was hyped to try but they ended up sucking. These things didn't slide for shit. It was literally impossible to do a powerslide. It was strange because these weren't a soft wheel by any means. Well broken in and still didn't slide at all. I ended up throwing them in the trash and getting formula fours again.
I think that’s what happens most of the time. I’m riding the classic formula and might just go back to the f4’s cuz I miss the slide.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2019, 06:28:03 AM »

I wanted to like crupie, especially since I grabbed them on a BOGO sale. Ended up throwing one set away after like 3 hours and gave the other set away. The person I gave them to ended up doing the same.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2019, 06:37:26 AM »
Hubba wheels got a pair kicked down to me and they chunked up when I had it in storage and skated it a few months later. What I mean is I was cruising down a hill hitting some slides and what not they literally started breaking apart. Garbage ass wheels

I was at the shop and this kid was getting a brand new setup. They got hubba hardware and it broke while being tightened.

I was also disappointed with Crupie. I hit a pebble at the DIY and the will went super flat. Like a flat tire.
I really like the shape of their wheel, I haven't seen anything similar.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2019, 09:02:43 AM »
About 3 weeks in on these wheels. Slide great, shrunk 2 mm on my back toe side. No flat spots, just chips and cuts. Threads are gone, same with contact patch.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2019, 11:47:00 PM »
Got cheap and ordered some 20 dollar CCS brand wheels not realizing they had a threaded surface.  Needless to say I got some F4s soon after.