Author Topic: HBO Shows  (Read 4052 times)

CrumblingInfrastructure

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
HBO Shows
« on: May 22, 2019, 03:54:43 AM »
Now that we’re living in a post GoT world: Is anyone else watching other HBO shows? WestWorld came out as a serious contender to replace GoT after the series ended but in my opionin flubbed a bit on the 2nd season, Silicon Valley has pretty entertaining and potentially heading into its final season, Barry has been a great dark comedy though I have no idea what Season 3 will look like, I like High Maintenance because its really like a bunch of great short stories with “The Guy” being the only thing to tie them together. I’m in and out of love with Crashing... theres no denying the star power as far as cameos go though.

Is anyone else watching Chernobyl? I went into it not expecting much but I ended up binging all the available episodes. The end of Ep2 was extremely well done and i’m looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: HBO Shows
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 04:01:40 AM »
I actually like West World quite a bit, though my wife disagrees with me.

Chernobyl is amazing and this past Monday's episode was gnarly.

Very much looking forward to Watchmen and His Dark Materials...but mostly Watchmen.

gaunt

• Rep: 104
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 04:14:45 AM »

haven't really had the chance to check out any recent series, but The Wire is the GOAT and its predecessor The Corner which had 6 episodes is extremely good too. can find all the episodes of the corner on youtube i think

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 05:46:58 AM »
The Deuce has been great, makes me want to re-watch The Wire or The Sopranos.

Syhr

• Rep: 11
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 05:55:18 AM »
Loved first season of Westworld, but wasn't too big a fan of most of season 2.

Hoping season 3 picks up again.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 06:09:36 AM »

haven't really had the chance to check out any recent series, but The Wire is the GOAT and its predecessor The Corner which had 6 episodes is extremely good too. can find all the episodes of the corner on youtube i think

Definitely good shows, I would have thrown The Wire, Oz, etc on the list but figured i’d stick with more recent shows. Definitely gunna check out The Corner!

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 09:02:32 AM »
if you’re looking for something to watch, just watch the wire again. each time you see it you’ll pick up on something you missed. best show of all time
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 09:04:18 AM »
I like those old documentaries where they follow the prostitutes and film the outside of the car as they are saying things like “oooh daddy, yes daddy...”

This one was really good too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSOcG4j1ZvI&feature=share

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:08:05 AM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 09:23:30 AM »
if you’re looking for something to watch, just watch *the wire again. each time you see it you’ll pick up on something you missed. best show of all time

This. and also holds true for *Sopranos.
i just finished my 3rd time around watching the entire series. Like David chase says, the writing is on the wall for the ending.
it's also a period piece about Americans in general and our sweet days being over with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy7tMx6ix8g

High Maintenance is AWESOME and worth watching every single episode, unless you live in New York (i'm guessing.)
Barry is funny-ish (if you like bill hader)
*Band of Brothers/*The Pacific - fuckin legendary storytelling and production.
True Detective, all 3 seasons. I personally think season 3 is the best but most people say season 1.
The Deuce gives me the same withdrawal feelings I get when I stop watching the Wire; I hate james franco and he plays 2 characters yet The Deuce is still one of the best shows running.
*OZ
*Boardwalk empire
*Mr. Show
Succession is really cool and makes me feel poor.
Westworld is really great if you just let go and pay attention.
I'm just about to start watching Deadwood.
Vinyl (which only made 2 seasons) is really underrated and a tragedy that it didn't pick up.

* = bucket list quality (you-should-see-all-these-before-you-leave-this-earth good)

I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 09:32:26 AM »
So many classics.

Wire
Sopranos
Curb
True Detective Seasons 1 and 3 (no need to watch 2 I don't think. I may watch it at some point but it isn't necessary to follow season 3).

Other great stuff:

Westword (should I watch the other seasons? I only watched S1)
Sharper Objects
Big Little Lies

Last Week Tonight (but its all on Youtube)
Mr. Show from back in the day

I still need to watch Boardwalk Empire, Oz, and The Corner

The new Watchmen show looks sick

Too much to name really.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 09:34:31 AM »
I’ll echo pretty much everything in here because HBO’s content generally ranges from good to great.

Big Little Lies and The Night Of are on the “great” end of the range.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 09:36:12 AM »
that chick on the last season of crashing is very hot
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 09:48:07 AM »
Sex and the City
The Sopranos
The Wire
Veep
Treme
Curb your Enthusiasm

None of these are very current but HBO has put out the best TV I have ever seen. This is because they take risks and let directors create what they want to make.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:50:13 AM by duster1 »
Skating and Baitin

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 10:22:25 AM »
yes to curb, sopranos, the wire, S&C, band of bros, boardwalk, deadwood etc. but surprised no ones mentioned six feet under.

from earth to the moon was a really cool mini series and definitely recommend it to anyone that enjoyed apollo 13.

never finished entourage but it was pretty entertaining for awhile.

i really liked both seasons of westworld and looking forward to season 3.

can't forget eastbound and down either

Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

PeanutGallery

• Rep: 3
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 10:41:47 AM »
Chernobyl.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »
Everyone's hitting you with the most known HBO stuff, and they're all great honestly - but my suggestions are for the shit on HBO that's really good nobody ever watches or talks about:

Show Me a Hero (David Simon - building low income housing in Westchester, NY and how the locals got angry about it)

Mosaic (Steven Soderbergh - murder mystery that's done really well - awesome music and video editing, good cast too)

Deadwood
I only watched this series about 2 weeks ago, but let me just say - it's as good as the Sopranos or The Wire...AND, if you choose to watch it, HBO is FINALLY going to make a deadwood movie that debuts MAY 31st. I guess this is 13 years later - but the movie is a concession for never making the last 2 seasons of deadwood, it was supposed to be 5 seasons. Ian McShane was born to play Al Swearengen

VEEP
This just ended too, and it's honestly one of the funniest things that's been on TV in the last 10 years. I never had a single soul to talk about with the show, and it never even mattered, because the one-liners, humor and characters were THAT good.

Wyatt Cenac's Problem Areas
Decent show about social, political and economic shit affecting people. I don't agree with most of it, but Wyatt's pretty funny/sarcastic and the way the show flows is nice.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 11:14:18 AM by The Nose Face »

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 11:34:07 AM »
Muckmouth just posted a photo from 2003 of Gino at that epic NY bank ledge spot with a Six Feet Under shirt on so I guess he backs it. I do need to check that show out though. After Deadwood. That's next on my list.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

gaunt

• Rep: 104
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 11:38:37 AM »
Everyone's hitting you with the most known HBO stuff, and they're all great honestly - but my suggestions are for the shit on HBO that's really good nobody ever watches or talks about:

Show Me a Hero (David Simon - building low income housing in Westchester, NY and how the locals got angry about it)

Mosaic (Steven Soderbergh - murder mystery that's done really well - awesome music and video editing, good cast too)

Deadwood
I only watched this series about 2 weeks ago, but let me just say - it's as good as the Sopranos or The Wire...AND, if you choose to watch it, HBO is FINALLY going to make a deadwood movie that debuts MAY 31st. I guess this is 13 years later - but the movie is a concession for never making the last 2 seasons of deadwood, it was supposed to be 5 seasons. Ian McShane was born to play Al Swearengen

VEEP
This just ended too, and it's honestly one of the funniest things that's been on TV in the last 10 years. I never had a single soul to talk about with the show, and it never even mattered, because the one-liners, humor and characters were THAT good.

Decent show about social, political and economic shit affecting people. I don't agree with most of it, but Wyatt's pretty funny/sarcastic and the way the show flows is nice.
good post, Show Me A Hero i'd never heard of and am now planning on watching

Artvandeskate

• Rep: -15
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 01:47:35 PM »
Barry is the best show on television

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 01:52:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Deadwood

VEEP

[close]
good post, Show Me A Hero i'd never heard of and am now planning on watching
hell Yeah, veep ist amazing. It is really funny and well made. I have always thought that the truth of American politics is exactly in the middle between "house of cards" and "veep"!

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 01:56:17 PM »

Deadwood

VEEP

I finished Veep the other week, definitely a really funny show. I also agree about Problem Areas, though I want to go back and watch ep5s1 (if thats the Seattle one) since most of it was filmed right down the street from me in Rainier Beach.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 02:13:54 PM »
If yo don't mind subs Magnifica 70 is a really good brazilian series from HBO

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 02:44:20 PM »
Chernobyl.
(weird fact: I was born 100 km away from chernobyl, 2 years after it happened. no crazy deformities other than a weird ribcage that caves in a little and I look 22 when I'm actually 30)

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 04:10:57 PM »
I've been a fan of Silicon Valley but I feel like it wasn't as good in season 4 after TJ Miller left the show. In saying that I'm still looking forward to seeing it wrap up and hopefully the last season closes out well.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

burtreynolds.jpeg

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2019, 02:37:35 PM »
Halfway through Euphoria Season One. Pretty gnarly subject matter but pretty fascinating.

Pros: Great casting, writing and direction. It’s editing style is a bit inconsistent but you gotta go with the flow I suppose.
Cons: The contemporary hip hop and pop music is pretty annoying. Also, the titles of the episodes usually reference 90’s hip hop songs which doesn’t work for me.

The Righteous Gemstones is also a very good show, too. I don’t have a single bad thing to say about it.

I am getting super excited for Watchmen, which is premiering a month from now.

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2019, 08:22:42 AM »
Agree with all the classic shows. I just watched a Polish show called Blinded by the Lights. It follows a coke dealer in Warsaw and it reminded me of Pusher. I found it on HBO GO. Recommend.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2019, 08:36:10 AM »
I know this isn't a HBO show but I happen to enjoy that Showtime show Shameless, makes my living situation seem mild compared to these fuck ups.

Brief rundown Gallagher's family are from Chicago and their raw as fuck situations they get themselves into.....   
Dueces Bitch's

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2019, 03:01:25 PM »
Enjoyed the shit outta Euphoria, the gf and I are eagerly anticipating season 2.
The Righteous Gemstones is my favorite show out at the moment, even though Danny McBride plays the same character in every goddamn role he plays. Great cast overall. Just watched the movie Arizona that McBride stars in and would also recommend that.
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2019, 03:17:36 PM »
ya righteous gemstones is really good so far. Season 3 of westworld looks intriguing, it looks like it stars Aaron paul and is in the "real" world. the first trailer doesn't give you much though.

But also agreed with the wire, I've seen it probably 9 or 10 times and it's still just as good. Soprano's too.