Author Topic: Steam Games To Kill Time  (Read 1867 times)

ThePeoplesChamp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
Steam Games To Kill Time
« on: May 16, 2019, 09:43:01 AM »
Looking for a game to play while at work. I sit at a desk and need something to do while work is slow. Im really into turn based fight games, anything you can gain exp points from, level up, etc. I downloaded Steam and have been messing around on a few free games but I think Id be willing to pay a little bit if there was something worth it.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
Re: Steam Games To Kill Time
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »
Looking for a game to play while at work. I sit at a desk and need something to do while work is slow. Im really into turn based fight games, anything you can gain exp points from, level up, etc. I downloaded Steam and have been messing around on a few free games but I think Id be willing to pay a little bit if there was something worth it.

You can get old school games on there, Shining Force I and II for Sega Genesis would scratch that itch. There's also dope newer old-school-style JRPGs abound, a cool one I've tried a bit of is called 'Cosmic Star Heroine'. Have you tried Undertale? I hear nothing but great things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juKE8FvMky0

ek27

• Rep: 6
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 02:05:19 PM »
Check out Skater XL.  It's still in early access but is super fun and there is a bunch of mods to add levels, customize your character, etc.  Probably the most realistic skateboarding game to date

https://store.steampowered.com/app/962730/Skater_XL/

slippy

• Rep: 84
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »
Super Meatboy, Downwell, and Crypt of the Necrodancer are all games that are fun and can be played 5 minutes or 5 hours straight.  Awesome buys.

That being said, a game that fits the leveling and spec style game you like would definitely be Risk of Rain.  Such a sick game, cheap and again can be played for a little or a while.  They just game out with Risk of Rain 2 on early access as well.  Looks solid but they have a lot of big things coming before it's full and I'd wait for that.  The first one is great though.
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1418
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 05:56:33 PM »
Grid 2 is free right now
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 06:11:05 AM »
I want to get on Steam but I'm very afraid of thrashing my computer, which is the vessel by which my money streams.

I am from the days of Shareware and am under the impression Steam can fuck my system up similar to how it did when I tried to run Doom in 99.

Can anyone reccomend some security or alleviate my fears that Steam isn't as nightmarish as I'm making it?
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

gaunt

• Rep: 104
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 06:50:41 AM »
I want to get on Steam but I'm very afraid of thrashing my computer, which is the vessel by which my money streams.

I am from the days of Shareware and am under the impression Steam can fuck my system up similar to how it did when I tried to run Doom in 99.

Can anyone reccomend some security or alleviate my fears that Steam isn't as nightmarish as I'm making it?
what exactly are you afraid of happening? a performance hindrance after installing the software? steam has come a long way since back then, they effectively have a monopoly on PC gaming and their software has been optimized heavily since back then. what are the specs of your computer? mainly your CPU, GPU, and ram?

assuming you're not running a shitbox from the late 90's still, there is virtually 0% chance of your system being affected. it is not resource-intensive to have running on its own

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 09:30:54 AM »
I have an HP Omen, 16 gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (3 GB), 256 GB SSD.
I am worried about a performance hinderance after install, i'm worried about security issues.
You helped me out a lot, thanks.
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

gaunt

• Rep: 104
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 12:19:23 PM »
I have an HP Omen, 16 gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (3 GB), 256 GB SSD.
I am worried about a performance hinderance after install, i'm worried about security issues.
You helped me out a lot, thanks.
what security issues in particular? i would not worry if i were you, their platform effectively maintains a concurrent ~15million users logged in at any given time. they are far too widely used and high-profile for a compromising security issue to go unnoticed. Valve (the corporation which developed steam) earned roughly $4.3billion dollars in 2017, and $~3.5B the year prior which works out to something like 80% of the (PC) game-distribution market to give you an idea of how big they are.

if you're referring to what i think you are when mentioning security issues, then yeah you really don't have anything to worry about. if you are worried about some very specific/complex security issue involving a rogue actor and a potential exploit in the software which they could take advantage of, this is still something which has exceedingly low chances of happening and that you should not worry about unless you work in the field of counter-terrorism or are a spy for your country or something ridiculous like that
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:21:23 PM by gaunt »

• Rep: 99
  • Fully Flared! coming November 16th 2007
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 03:15:26 PM »
hotline miami is pretty good to kill time, pretty sure any computer can run it

switch flip

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 04:37:06 PM »
stardew valley is definitely worth checking out

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 03:07:48 AM »
OlliOlli.

The sequel is fun too but the first one is way better. You can spend tons of time playing it to get your score up but it takes like 30 seconds to play a game if you need something quick.

Axiom Verge is great if you want a Metroid Clone.

If you're looking for a more meaty gaming experience I'd suggest Borderlands 2. You can play it for short amounts of time since it's mostly fetching stuff and getting new gear, or if you want you can play it for hours on end. I've never played online with other people but I imagine that would only add to the replay factor.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 03:11:35 AM by beatifk »