Author Topic: HOW MUCH DO THESE CALIFORNIAN BOARD BRANDS MAKE?  (Read 3942 times)

benboardbreaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 57
Re: HOW MUCH DO THESE CALIFORNIAN BOARD BRANDS MAKE?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2024, 01:17:15 PM »
Expand Quote
It's obvious that it's difficult even for well known pros to make a good living at pro skateboarding. not directly related to a california brand, but I hosted a new year eve party and there was a skater attending who is midlife. He wanted to start a skateboard brand. I get it if it's a hobby thing and you make a couple of boards here and there and sell it to the homies, but his idea was so stupid because he thought he could live off the profit. It's similar to some other people I know who perhaps have had a picture or a trick in thrasher but still think they can become pros and they are close to 40. skateboarding is not profitable and its only for the few to make money off it. just my two cents.
[close]

Hahaha  ;D

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2024, 08:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's obvious that it's difficult even for well known pros to make a good living at pro skateboarding. not directly related to a california brand, but I hosted a new year eve party and there was a skater attending who is midlife. He wanted to start a skateboard brand. I get it if it's a hobby thing and you make a couple of boards here and there and sell it to the homies, but his idea was so stupid because he thought he could live off the profit. It's similar to some other people I know who perhaps have had a picture or a trick in thrasher but still think they can become pros and they are close to 40. skateboarding is not profitable and its only for the few to make money off it. just my two cents.
[close]

[close]

Hahaha  ;D

Joa's assessment of that dude as the guy who wants to be a personality in front of the camera but doesn't have the personality to do it is so brutally honest and spot on. some people need to hear that though so they don't spend all their time and energy on something that may and probably will never happen.

GMB

• Rep: 8
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2024, 02:09:49 PM »
I once saw somewhere that Shortys were selling like 10.000 Muska silhoutte decks in the heydays, couldnt find the interview thought, maybe it was in jenkem?

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2024, 10:46:39 PM »
^^^Per month (sounds high)? Or year (sounds low)?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Southernmost

• Rep: 98
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2024, 11:45:32 PM »
I once saw somewhere that Shortys were selling like 10.000 Muska silhoutte decks in the heydays, couldnt find the interview thought, maybe it was in jenkem?

Bam claims he was selling 12,000 bloards a month and says the Birdman was moving 10-11k himself. I wouldn’t be surprised if Muska was doing about the same with silhouettes and rising suns at the height of Shortys. Those 3 guys still probably sell a good amount of reissues when they drop.

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2017/03/13/return-bam-margera/

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2024, 02:38:59 AM »

That would've been a month in those days, They were so popular.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1065
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2024, 02:55:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bam claims he was selling 12,000 bloards a month and says the Birdman was moving 10-11k himself. I wouldn’t be surprised if Muska was doing about the same with silhouettes and rising suns at the height of Shortys. Those 3 guys still probably sell a good amount of reissues when they drop.

jason lee said bam was selling 25k boards a month during the jackass/viva la bam days.

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
  • tae-tae
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2024, 01:19:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
jason lee said bam was selling 25k boards a month during the jackass/viva la bam days.

Yeah those we're literally everywhere at some point.
ohyeahohyeah

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 19
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2024, 01:48:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah those we're literally everywhere at some point.

Yeah - but it’s 20 years ago - and they sold board for the same price then today. If you move 35 years ago you can say the same 10-20.000 decks per month for  the top Vison, Powell and Santa Cruz pros. I paid for me first board 1987 similar then for a complete today.
Some people have done some good money for a couple of years.. if you see the full history of Skateboarding.

But running a skateboard company successfully today is a difficult thing - with hardware. Palace, DGK Polar etc. is doing majority of turnover with soft goods

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2024, 01:56:04 PM »
What is even California brands? Brands off California?
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides