Author Topic: Andy Anderson a kook?  (Read 50779 times)

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1173
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Andy Anderson a kook?
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2019, 04:34:13 AM »
I mean I don't think he really gives a fuck what anyone thinks. Its better than a redbull or monster hat that's for sure. Looks like he has a kind of stiff/weird style, but whatever he can skate.

There are way more kooks out there that actually still get praised somehow, much more than this kid. I'm sure hes psyched SLAP is talking about his helmet this much.

Shalom

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2019, 05:18:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Its as kooky as caring about him not looking like a 'cool hip skater' in a competition thats albout being the best skateboarder in the world.
[close]
  Street league?   I don't watch it.
[close]

Damn, how core and defiant of you refusing to watch the best skateboarding in the world.
I wouldnt know.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2019, 05:52:39 AM »
Incase anyone was wondering I am indifferent to all of this

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2019, 06:09:11 AM »
Jesus that run posted was crazy, does anyone know how it scored?

Whenever I see his skating I think holy fuck that dude in the helmet kills it, not that dude has poor fashion sense, probably because I care about skateboarding not fashion.

When I saw Dylan with the high waters and button up shirts no one else was dressing like that, TBH I thought that looked a bit goofy, but mainly just though holy shit he kills it.
  regular.  Wharever Dylan put together looked good.  He earned that persona. Someone else tried to bring up Neil Blender in comparison.  People werent making fun of Neil Blender.  They were booing Hosoi who in my opinion is right behind Penny for goat.
 Edit.  I m stoked that slaps showing love for this andy guy even tho i think hes wackadosious.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:14:03 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Ocelot

« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2019, 07:06:05 AM »
This dude has aspergers for sure, lots of signs of it

Ocelot

« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2019, 07:07:05 AM »
also def not a kook, this dude is being 100% himself

soonbanned

« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2019, 07:20:53 AM »

Street skating is most popular and what you see in Street League is a good generalization of what tricks and terrain we have been pushing this 'sport' towards for the past 30 plus years. You're currently watching the most talented, consistent and innovative (best) skateboarders whether you like it or not.

You couldn't possibly be more ignorant. "Street" League is absolutely not anything like street skating, and if you think SLS is a measure of the "best, most innovative skateboarders in the world" there's absolutely no helping you.

Jacob Gary

« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2019, 07:27:27 AM »
Incase anyone was wondering I am indifferent to all of this

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 444
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2019, 07:32:38 AM »
It’s a shame he looks like shit to watch, cos he does insane stuff and seems nice. Glad he’s doing well!

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2019, 07:44:11 AM »

Being true to oneself and being a kook are not mutually exclusive.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2019, 08:40:59 AM »
It would be a sick if Jenkem did an episode where Andy and Jamie Thomas camp overnight at emb.  I think anyway. They could wake up and ollie somthing.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2019, 08:45:19 AM »
This is the reason why he’s in my opinion the best skateboarder on the planet. For far too long has street been about what everyone else has done at a spot, and tried to one up it. I find this to be the reason I find slap so opposed to && so honestly strange. He legitimizes what have been long regarded as goofy tricks into mainstream. Like to me he’s gonna go down like a Rodney, no one will question his legacy, but he prolly won’t be anybody’s favorite skateboarder. He’s not my favorite skater to watch, but he is enjoyable with the monotony that is street skating. Like skating has had few transcendent dudes who can make crazy what would be circus tricks into legitimate tricks. Like I don’t think anyone can call what Rodney does as “circusey” because he has a level of precision to it where u know it’s ungodly board control. Shane O neill is another great example because a lot of shit he does would be circusey if other people did it but he legitimizes it. I think backing && is a good thing if it can make pros realize that unconventional tricks with exquisite execution can be stylish regardless of the trick, and I think that trick stereotype needs to die. If you don’t let artists just be themselves and do what the fuck they want and create, then skateboarding will always stay stagnant. I feel like more trick variety where every single pro has a drastically different bag of tricks with one another would be a much better thing for skateboarding, and I think && is a perfect catalyst for that.

Honestly I usually tend to (silently) disagree with a lot of the posts you make for some reason (maybe it's the frequent 'best skateboarder on the planet' exaggeration), but this bit in bold particular is the truth. I also like your analysis, however it's only bound to clash with the opinion of anyone who finds the guy's style gross for this or that reason (lack of flow, weird form, spot selection, fashionista concerns, whatever), because then to them he won't tick the 'exquisite execution' box you're drawing, only to therefore get lumped together with all the forgettable novelty skater-entertainers.

Personally I see no problem with traditional skateboarding at all and can appreciate many aspects of it that seem to be on the verge of becoming a lost art (spot selection, line material, refined ledge game, good form on basic tricks etc.) with the mainstream representation of skateboarding turning full on public spectacle (just above there's a guy who genuinely thinks Street League is street skating). But I also do appreciate anybody doing their thing and being genuine about it. Skateboarding doesn't belong to anyone but skateboarders and this guy is obviously one; why care about what he wears at some huge contest I don't watch.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 08:49:05 AM by silhouette »

Ocelot

« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2019, 09:33:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Being true to oneself and being a kook are not mutually exclusive.

thank you sensei

Ocelot

« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »
watching some of his street league/ tampa stuff

I don't think anything he does is particularly "hard". Granted he can dork around on rails and coping but it's mostly just grind to lip variations, something guys like Foy can do far better and with "style"

It's just that 50-50 front foot impossible trick that catches the eye

He's not the first guy to have some crazy anomaly tricks in contest, shane oneill has been throwing down the switch tre double flip for years

Also landing grind tricks in a manual in an absolute reddit meme, get out of here with that thrashy redneck crap

breezer

• Rep: -19
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2019, 11:12:24 AM »

now go watch him shred jersey barriers....or concrete parks, or street....he can do a lot more than 'dork around on rails'.......and if you all that changes your mid you are ready for some freestyle.

fftc

• Rep: 1
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2019, 11:27:08 AM »
Skateboarding doesn't belong to anyone but skateboarders and this guy is obviously one; why care about what he wears at some huge contest I don't watch.

Fuck yeah!

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2019, 11:28:28 AM »
Expand Quote
This is the reason why he’s in my opinion the best skateboarder on the planet. For far too long has street been about what everyone else has done at a spot, and tried to one up it. I find this to be the reason I find slap so opposed to && so honestly strange. He legitimizes what have been long regarded as goofy tricks into mainstream. Like to me he’s gonna go down like a Rodney, no one will question his legacy, but he prolly won’t be anybody’s favorite skateboarder. He’s not my favorite skater to watch, but he is enjoyable with the monotony that is street skating. Like skating has had few transcendent dudes who can make crazy what would be circus tricks into legitimate tricks. Like I don’t think anyone can call what Rodney does as “circusey” because he has a level of precision to it where u know it’s ungodly board control. Shane O neill is another great example because a lot of shit he does would be circusey if other people did it but he legitimizes it. I think backing && is a good thing if it can make pros realize that unconventional tricks with exquisite execution can be stylish regardless of the trick, and I think that trick stereotype needs to die. If you don’t let artists just be themselves and do what the fuck they want and create, then skateboarding will always stay stagnant. I feel like more trick variety where every single pro has a drastically different bag of tricks with one another would be a much better thing for skateboarding, and I think && is a perfect catalyst for that.
[close]

Honestly I usually tend to (silently) disagree with a lot of the posts you make for some reason (maybe it's the frequent 'best skateboarder on the planet' exaggeration), but this bit in bold particular is the truth. I also like your analysis, however it's only bound to clash with the opinion of anyone who finds the guy's style gross for this or that reason (lack of flow, weird form, spot selection, fashionista concerns, whatever), because then to them he won't tick the 'exquisite execution' box you're drawing, only to therefore get lumped together with all the forgettable novelty skater-entertainers.

Personally I see no problem with traditional skateboarding at all and can appreciate many aspects of it that seem to be on the verge of becoming a lost art (spot selection, line material, refined ledge game, good form on basic tricks etc.) with the mainstream representation of skateboarding turning full on public spectacle (just above there's a guy who genuinely thinks Street League is street skating). But I also do appreciate anybody doing their thing and being genuine about it. Skateboarding doesn't belong to anyone but skateboarders and this guy is obviously one; why care about what he wears at some huge contest I don't watch.

I don’t think style necessarily equates to trick execution. I think trick execution+style is the ultimate goal but they can be mutually exclusive. For instance Rodney Mullen has no style, but every single thing he does from his hand to feet placement looks perfect, like the tricks are executed absolutely perfectly, and that precision is indeed what makes his tricks not “circusy” and his skating very respectable. Same thing with Rodrigo TX and half of primitive. The opposite is true also where u have shitloads of style and poor trick execution, look at Dylan pre Dylan. And his style is awesome but his trick execution was poor back then(his flick wasn’t perfect yet).

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2019, 11:32:57 AM »
yeah, he doesn't have amazing style.. but he definitely doesn't have bad style.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2019, 12:02:00 PM »
I don’t think style necessarily equates to trick execution. I think trick execution+style is the ultimate goal but they can be mutually exclusive. For instance Rodney Mullen has no style, but every single thing he does from his hand to feet placement looks perfect, like the tricks are executed absolutely perfectly, and that precision is indeed what makes his tricks not “circusy” and his skating very respectable. Same thing with Rodrigo TX and half of primitive. The opposite is true also where u have shitloads of style and poor trick execution, look at Dylan pre Dylan. And his style is awesome but his trick execution was poor back then(his flick wasn’t perfect yet).

Appreciation has to be subjective I think, because I don't think Rodney Mullen had no style. People got used to saying that in the 90's because he never adapted to the trends of the time (skate or not), and in a world of aggressive pop-based street skating, ledge artistry and handrails he looked out of the hype, but the truth is (as you've been saying) you see just his skate silhouette moving and instantly recognize the dude because nobody looks like him and to me, that's style.

Also maybe I expressed myself poorly or maybe I didn't (I'm tired and losing track) but to me trick execution is part of style, undeniably. Style is one's form on a skateboard, and how they reinterpret the activity (which can be extended to trick selection), but it's all condensed into the same person. Regardless of whether they are pushing, landing or kickflipping down something, how they look is still style. To me the only thing that qualifies as poor trick execution is technical mistakes (tick tacks, stiff backs, underrotations - arguably, Mullen had quite a few); but I wouldn't regard personal touches or imperfections (compared to what?) in form as such. And of course one needs to put a lot of themselves (and as many years as possible) into their skating for it to become personal and thus look stylish.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:06:19 PM by silhouette »

Your Real Dad

« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2019, 03:08:01 PM »
As an old Geezer,  what I first noticed about Andy is that he looks like half the guys I grew up with in the 70's. The kids with hippie parents generation. The vibe then was more surfy artistic and more encouraging of individual expression in all things. Andy's individualism and creativity seem consistent with that 70's 'freedom' mindset. I'm a fan. Go Andy!

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2019, 03:43:56 PM »
I hope he uses this somehow,
&&

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -30
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2019, 03:46:45 PM »

I don't think anything he does is particularly "hard". Granted he can dork around on rails and coping but it's mostly just grind to lip variations, something guys like Foy can do far better and with "style"

It's just that 50-50 front foot impossible trick that catches the eye

He's not the first guy to have some crazy anomaly tricks in contest, shane oneill has been throwing down the switch tre double flip for years

Also landing grind tricks in a manual in an absolute reddit meme, get out of here with that thrashy redneck crap
comparing Andy Anderson’s dance moves on quarter pipes and ledges is a far cry from Shane O’Neill’s contest tricks

Your Real Dad

« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2019, 04:02:40 PM »
I'd like to add to what I said before and mention that after urethane wheels were made available that it was here in SoCal that skateboarding was popularized and spread, the rebellion of the time was that skateboarding represented the freedom to be who you were, instead of a cookie cutter kid with a buzz cut.
I see rebellion in this sense to mean, nonconformist. What it seems like now is that dudes who like to seem a 'rebel' are demanding similar conformism,,, in a scene that had it's birth in nonconformism! And no, I don't suggest that you conform to nonconformism either!
I'm just saying that we each have to look at ourselves and decide how much of our lives we permit to be governed by the constraints of the expectations of people that don't give a fuck about us.  oops, time for this old geezer to fart himself into a nap, out.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2019, 04:38:00 PM »
I'd like to add to what I said before and mention that after urethane wheels were made available that it was here in SoCal that skateboarding was popularized and spread, the rebellion of the time was that skateboarding represented the freedom to be who you were, instead of a cookie cutter kid with a buzz cut.
I see rebellion in this sense to mean, nonconformist. What it seems like now is that dudes who like to seem a 'rebel' are demanding similar conformism,,, in a scene that had it's birth in nonconformism! And no, I don't suggest that you conform to nonconformism either!
I'm just saying that we each have to look at ourselves and decide how much of our lives we permit to be governed by the constraints of the expectations of people that don't give a fuck about us.  oops, time for this old geezer to fart himself into a nap, out.
   No nap!  Go slam on your skateboard,  hard! (doctors orders)

Your Real Dad

« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2019, 07:32:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Okay but I'm waiting for the mailman to bring me an Andy helmet. Smiles.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2019, 07:35:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Okay but I'm waiting for the mailman to bring me an Andy helmet. Smiles.
  Good then, -see you at the park!

shingles

• Rep: -60
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2019, 11:34:25 PM »
Very fucking good skater.
But he looks like he would smell bad
support your local ramp-tramp

drunkenshredder

• Rep: -135
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2019, 12:16:32 AM »
Nice kid who actually enjoys skateboarding. Always has a smile and positive. Hope others can learn from him. Glad he's not switching up what he's doing.

skataliban

• Rep: -2
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2019, 12:53:52 AM »
Andy stole my helmnet

fftc

• Rep: 1
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2019, 02:38:25 AM »
I see rebellion in this sense to mean, nonconformist. What it seems like now is that dudes who like to seem a 'rebel' are demanding similar conformism,,, in a scene that had it's birth in nonconformism!

And that is why threads about whether && is a kook are so whack!
All the old rebel stuff is now totally mainstream. Tattoos, smoking weed, getting fucked up on booze. All as mainstream as it gets. Skating is no longer punk, it's jock. Especially when you look at streetleague.
&& is the rebel, the non-conformist going his own way. Whether you like his way or not, you have to recognize that he is closer to the roots of skating than a lot of his contemporaries.
Me, I like his way, but then, I am also an older guy and see much more of what skating means to me in && than I do in Nyjah.