Author Topic: Andy Howell | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 147  (Read 10358 times)

drunkenshredder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -135
Re: Andy Howell | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 147
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 10:16:56 PM »
Expand Quote
It was cool to hear the early new deal and underworld element stuff
[close]
Agreed, as I was/am a huge fan of New Deal and Underworld Element and wanted a glimpse into that time period.

Want to know what really happened. need to get Paul, Andy, Steve and Johnny in a room and hash it out.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 10:36:05 PM »
Once he opened his mouth, there was no stopping

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

FLstrange

• Rep: 324
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 11:00:51 PM »

many times chris would try to interject in an attempt to get a word in, but would get swiftly cut off by andy's endless stream of self-promotion.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 11:08:48 PM »
I take back my “fuck yes”, I couldn’t listen to Andy speak for more than 30 minutes and I’m sincerely bummed about it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2019, 12:39:04 AM »
tough crowd?
I'm loving this one, lots of little insights that we couldn't have gotten from the snippets in magazines at the time.
New Deal was fucking heavy when it came out, Ed's one foots are still burnt into my brain.
Zero Sophisto had great imagery at the time and my first UE board was a Chris Hall "Cypress Hall" board
FUCK YES!

edit: I also had a pair of mustard new deal jeans with purple pockets and I thought they went so well with my green puma Clydes ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:34:42 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2019, 01:23:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

many times chris would try to interject in an attempt to get a word in, but would get swiftly cut off by andy's endless stream of self-promotion.

Noticed that so much, i know alot of people think chris has no intelligent input but he barely had a chance on this episode haha, i cringed a few times as andy just spoke over any of the 3 trying to get a word in.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

FLstrange

• Rep: 324
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2019, 02:38:17 AM »
i cringed a few times as andy just spoke over any of the 3 trying to get a word in.

speaking of cringing,

everyone looked super awkward when he played his kid son's pop song in full (3:19:25), then the 15 minute long text-to-speech autobiography rap poem thing at the end (3:37:45).
https://youtu.be/gJ00WE9xMuo?t=11965
https://youtu.be/gJ00WE9xMuo?t=13065

for anyone currently in the thread who didnt make it through the entire episode, both of these are concentrated grade-A pain. i think chris, roger, and kelly are going to have to deal with PTSD down the road after being forced to sit there and silently endure these and act supportive by pretending that they enjoyed what they just heard.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2562
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2019, 06:59:33 AM »
I just stuck around for the ND/Element talk in the first half. I'm good.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2019, 07:25:06 AM »
Imagine you and your partner having a couple's dinner with Andy and his wife. When they start showing all the neat stuff their kids have been up to...

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2019, 08:13:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
crob thinks there was internet in 93
[close]
There was. You think internet is sth from 2000's?
[close]

yeah yeah people wernt emailing each other back then though were they bro..

The first e-mail was actually sent in 1971.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/6116/First-e-mail-sent-by-Ray-Tomlinson/
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2019, 09:11:27 AM »
Not very far into this but I find it hard to believe he didn't remember the photographer's name who he let stay at his house, who shot his first photo in Thrasher, and who he gave 10 rolls of film to.

This just struck me as really odd.

Anyways..

Here Come The Lame Jets

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2019, 09:57:34 AM »
Andy Howell is a dick.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2019, 10:46:29 AM »
skated a pro contest without being a pro and started a company and turned himself pro?

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2019, 07:10:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Yo could anyone confirm that the slide at 1:00 is (old) Jackson Square in New Orleans? I deadass argued a few skaters to death on this. I always heard he would skate the N.O. with Pitre and that there always looked like Jackson Square ledge that has since been re-done.

Was dumb psyched on Andy when I was a shorty. His Sk8 TV interview comes out right after I moved to Atlanta and I always thought every older skater was Andy when I would see a dude just pushing down the street.

"compund fracture, technics scratcher"
[close]
It's Jackson Square, I think they just randomly drove through New Orleans on the way to Florida and stopped and checked it out, Pitre wasn't skating much at the time, there's a few other New Orleans tricks in the vid, julian does a bank to bank gap at the intercontinental hotel, Rick Ibasera ollies a hip at the same spot. If you look at New Deals newest post its Rick Ibaseta skating Rivergate from the same trip

I noseslid that in '94. Semi drunk on 3 Jack Daniels Downhome Punches. Lame highlight of my lackluster skills.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:30:13 PM by Robert Baratheon »

booty

• Rep: 21
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2019, 08:25:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Yo could anyone confirm that the slide at 1:00 is (old) Jackson Square in New Orleans? I deadass argued a few skaters to death on this. I always heard he would skate the N.O. with Pitre and that there always looked like Jackson Square ledge that has since been re-done.

Was dumb psyched on Andy when I was a shorty. His Sk8 TV interview comes out right after I moved to Atlanta and I always thought every older skater was Andy when I would see a dude just pushing down the street.

"compund fracture, technics scratcher"
[close]
It's Jackson Square, I think they just randomly drove through New Orleans on the way to Florida and stopped and checked it out, Pitre wasn't skating much at the time, there's a few other New Orleans tricks in the vid, julian does a bank to bank gap at the intercontinental hotel, Rick Ibasera ollies a hip at the same spot. If you look at New Deals newest post its Rick Ibaseta skating Rivergate from the same trip
[close]

I noseslid that in '94. Semi drunk on 3 Jack Daniels Downhome Punches. Lame highlight of my lackluster skills.

Thanks natenola for that slice.

I also tried noselides on that many times back in the wonder years. No makes, got broken off plenty. I found a heroin overdose guy in the bathrooms below the staircase and I believe the kid ended up living. Was there on Y2K too. Spent way to much time in the square as a yoot. Felt like the center of the universe in the 90's.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2019, 10:58:17 AM »
Holy shit this guy is pretentious and boring to listen to. May have to tap out on this one. 

soonbanned

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2019, 02:36:22 PM »
Same people that called me stupid for predicting a boring ass episode are now posting here saying how bad it sucked. of 147 episodes ranked by views this would be 120th on the list currently. It's time for Sheckler Cardiel Gonz Trujillo Templeton etc.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
Same people that called me stupid for predicting a boring ass episode are now posting here saying how bad it sucked. of 147 episodes ranked by views this would be 120th on the list currently. It's time for Sheckler Cardiel Gonz Trujillo Templeton etc.
So did your prediction influence others to skip this episode? Bravo.

There is no godly reason why anything should be 4 hours long. Especially if douchebag Andy Howell is involved.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2019, 05:07:08 PM »
See I'm glad to see a Nine Club interviewee who actually gets to tell stories like they're supposed to instead of being interrupted all the time by filler questions, dude did go off on many personal tangents but why the fuck watch a podcast about him if one is not trying to hear him speak? I feel like every time one of those things come out people complain about either the hosts being too intrusive with generic questions, or the guest talking too much. Where does one draw the line? Been watching it on and off for the past two days, I'm two thirds in so far, kept listening after the Underworld Element / New Deal stories for a bit and will most likely resume later. Way into it but also a big New Deal fan.

Nine Club isn't the nerdiest shit out there (Chromeball, Bobshirt) but I never seem to understand why people seem to think the culture would be better without it. There's the commercial aspect but with the culture currently being diluted to shit by the mainstream, I think a platform giving people like Puleo or Andy Howell room to speak for three hours is crucially beneficial (they aren't pointing a gun to anyone's head either), and might turn many amongst the current generation of kids into potential skate nerds who will later find their way to videos from before their time and so on. It's a matter of transmission, personally I'm thankful for any initiative of such a kind. In a world without the Nine Club kids would still buy completes from the mall and assume skateboarding is Nyjah; in a world with such an accessible podcast, at least they have the option to get a better clue.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »
See I'm glad to see a Nine Club interviewee who actually gets to tell stories like they're supposed to instead of being interrupted all the time by filler questions, dude did go off on many personal tangents but why the fuck watch a podcast about him if one is not trying to hear him speak? I feel like every time one of those things come out people complain about either the hosts being too intrusive with generic questions, or the guest talking too much. Where does one draw the line? Been watching it on and off for the past two days, I'm two thirds in so far, kept listening after the Underworld Element / New Deal stories for a bit and will most likely resume later. Way into it but also a big New Deal fan.

Nine Club isn't the nerdiest shit out there (Chromeball, Bobshirt) but I never seem to understand why people seem to think the culture would be better without it. There's the commercial aspect but with the culture currently being diluted to shit by the mainstream, I think a platform giving people like Puleo or Andy Howell room to speak for three hours is crucially beneficial (they aren't pointing a gun to anyone's head either), and might turn many amongst the current generation of kids into potential skate nerds who will later find their way to videos from before their time and so on. It's a matter of transmission, personally I'm thankful for any initiative of such a kind. In a world without the Nine Club kids would still buy completes from the mall and assume skateboarding is Nyjah; in a world with such an accessible podcast, at least they have the option to get a better clue.

just wanted to add that without varied opinions and criticism we would just be a bunch of conformist "yes men." much to the industry's chagrin, we aren't, because that is not what skateboarding is about.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 05:58:05 PM by Iceman »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2019, 06:40:47 PM »
Oh of course, I see SLAP as the place for skaters worldwide to vent their opinions on skate shit so if anything, voicing them is encouraged don't get me wrong. I'm just genuinely confused by how in every Nine Club thread, there always seems to be people talking about how overly vocal this or that party is. From the hosts' side I can understand having a hard time with, but from the guest's I don't really get it.

There's being yes men and there's being unreasonable as far as judgement is concerned, not saying anyone in this thread is any of that. Positive criticism can be as constructive as negative criticism so I think it's cool to show public appreciation for the positives in something that's popularly slandered as uncool, sometimes quite unfairly. I don't like the idea of pinpointing SLAP as a cesspool of pure negativity where only the bad side of everything gets a mention, because that's exactly the argument industry actors like to use to ridicule and disqualify it when in reality it's a representation of their direct customers - with the possibility of public interaction with them as well - they should view it as a fucking gold mine (that also happens to be full of shit because it's fucking skateboarding and skateboarders we're talking about). Really the Nine Club vs. SLAP phantasmal construction has gotten out of hand from both sides, when the dichotomy shouldn't exist, we're all skateboarders and I believe that's what skateboarding is about, if anything.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:43:56 PM by silhouette »

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2019, 07:52:48 PM »
tough crowd?
I'm loving this one, lots of little insights that we couldn't have gotten from the snippets in magazines at the time.
New Deal was fucking heavy when it came out, Ed's one foots are still burnt into my brain.
Zero Sophisto had great imagery at the time and my first UE board was a Chris Hall "Cypress Hall" board
FUCK YES!

edit: I also had a pair of mustard new deal jeans with purple pockets and I thought they went so well with my green puma Clydes ;)
Had the same mustard jeans, but I had green sambas instead. What a weird time.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -677
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2019, 06:02:08 AM »
Andy " name drop " Howell.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2019, 06:39:45 AM »
I am going lie and say no I have never seen or heard of an andy Howell nine club

Bearings

• Rep: -4
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2019, 05:02:50 PM »
Andy " name drop " Howell.

When he named dropped James Lavelle I was fucking out.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2019, 05:24:37 PM »
This guy is such a blowhard he makes mike v look like heath kirchart.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2019, 05:45:47 PM »
Andy Howell is so full of himself he makes Jamie Thomas look like Jim Thiebaud. BTW did I mention I am very close with Jamie Thomas and Jim Thiebaud?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2019, 07:00:22 PM »
Expand Quote
tough crowd?
FUCK YES!

[close]
Had the same mustard jeans, but I had green sambas instead. What a weird time.

hahaha
I also had a cream hat with a chocolate brown brim that basically had no other branding on it except a little "deal" written in tiny letters on the back. Crazy time to be alive for sure, but you could certainly tell if someone was an actual skater or not

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2019, 05:53:28 AM »
Expand Quote
i cringed a few times as andy just spoke over any of the 3 trying to get a word in.
[close]

speaking of cringing,

Expand Quote
everyone looked super awkward when he played his kid son's pop song in full (3:19:25), then the 15 minute long text-to-speech autobiography rap poem thing at the end (3:37:45).
[close]

for anyone currently in the thread who didnt make it through the entire episode, both of these are concentrated grade-A pain. i think chris, roger, and kelly are going to have to deal with PTSD down the road after being forced to sit there and silently endure these and act supportive by pretending that they enjoyed what they just heard.
\

HAHA oh my god. i tapped out before he pulled out his phone, pretty much 5 minutes after he started talking about the tech world...
i dont care who you are, no one, and i mean NO ONE, wants to hear 7 minutes of text-to-speech bullshit.
it seems like Chris didnt want to edit it out and burn bridges with Andy haha
the second he started talking about the tech world he reminded me of a friend of mine that works at some start-up and talks about the shit he does like hes saving lives and moving the world to a better brighter future even though its a financial app thing.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2019, 02:58:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

speaking of cringing,

Expand Quote
[close]