Author Topic: New member, learning to drop in  (Read 6431 times)

bestdudever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
Re: New member, learning to drop in
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 01:10:41 PM »

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »
Im not sure what took the bigger balls, dropping in or posting it here!

Fastfreddy

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 01:20:38 PM »
Reiterating some existing points and hoping to offer new ones:

First of all, congrats! That's exciting - learning something new is always fun - I would put the dropping in aside and get more comfortable on your board - riding up and down ramps, hell, even pushing around. You can always tell when people start to skate later in life - they look like they're not connected to their boards - focus on that.

Secondly, from a forum perspective - this particular sub may not be the place to introduce yourself and your skating.
There is a thread called "Post you skating" in PHOTOS/VIDEOS that would be better suited for this type of post and discussion surrounding it.

Good luck with everything and shalom to you.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 01:26:18 PM »
None of you will survive the coming war.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2019, 01:29:08 PM »
Sick! You got this.

dofrenzy

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2019, 01:31:27 PM »
Expand Quote
We should probably close this place down huh
[close]

U know it’s comments like those that make us all lose and therefore are not shalom. I hate this jock shit in skating, it’s so stupid. I don’t understand it from a pro perspective the most, like I’ve met enough pros where they have that mentality too and it’s kind of stupid. They limit the market and influence they have, which why would a company sponsor someone if they are gonna limit their market? Also why do companies want to limit their market by cool guying it? Like unless u have the clout of supreme with FA/Hockey u really are limiting yourself in terms of viability. The revive guys broke the code, yet have a horrible product, and some company needs to tap that market in a dope way and it’s depressing to see all these new companies try to “do it traditional” like those two, like do newer kids know their history? FA/Hockey are just world repeated, fuck all their graphics are tipoffs too. I love those guys, but if someone wants to do something revolutionary and really change the game they gotta go in the opposite direction. Personally I would rather read juicy details on the skate industry and hearing how people love things, but then don’t love things if they are exactly the same with different clothes. At the end of the day though I’m pretty juiced on a 50 year old dude who always wanted to drop in finally going for the commitment. I think every skater can relate to that, if you’ve never thought of a spot that scared you and going their on a mission to conquer it, then dare I say u have missed out on one of the greatest things skateboarding can bring you.

Shalom

Cheetahsheets,

Awesome contribution.  HUGE thanks.

I was on a mission to conquer, and my joy for having succeeded is tremendous.  Very cool that you picked up on that.

fs overkrook

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2019, 01:34:32 PM »
Why’d you come here

dofrenzy

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2019, 01:59:17 PM »
Why’d you come here

Good question.  Mainly I wanted to share the joy of skateboarding with others who know it, but also hoping for tips and tricks, and wanted to be part of a community of people with a shared interest who encourage each other to improve.

Honestly, I was also hoping for someone to say "good on you".  Not like my 52 year old sister, who said "I want to do that when I visit this summer"....but rather from someone who has experienced the terror of learning to drop in and the exhilaration of succeeding.

Why did *you* come here?

dofrenzy

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 02:03:01 PM »
Reiterating some existing points and hoping to offer new ones:

First of all, congrats! That's exciting - learning something new is always fun - I would put the dropping in aside and get more comfortable on your board - riding up and down ramps, hell, even pushing around. You can always tell when people start to skate later in life - they look like they're not connected to their boards - focus on that.

Secondly, from a forum perspective - this particular sub may not be the place to introduce yourself and your skating.
There is a thread called "Post you skating" in PHOTOS/VIDEOS that would be better suited for this type of post and discussion surrounding it.

Good luck with everything and shalom to you.

Thanks for the advice.  It looks like I'll be doing a lot of pushing in the coming weeks.

And thank you for the tip on the appropriate sub forum.  Sorry about posting this in the wrong area.  I see a "lock" option when I respond.  Let me know if I should close this thread down.

Suave

• Rep: -21
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2019, 02:07:55 PM »
this skater is your same age give or take. let this part guide you by the hand.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2019, 02:43:05 PM »
imagine learning how to drop in on conquer this one:

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »
Good for you dude, never too late to start doing things you love or even have an interest in. Facing fears and still growing

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2019, 03:08:58 PM »
yah learn to go off some curbs.  Learn to 'tic tac'.  Then when you go to drop in, try grabbing the nose as you drop.  It keeps your centre of gravity tighter.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2019, 06:07:49 PM »
this is sick. even better if thats your kid filming. much respect

Chim Richalds

• Rep: -101
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2019, 06:15:36 PM »
Good job. Next time edit out your wife giving director cues before your drop ins. Other than that, no complaints here.

Rick Pump

• Rep: 27
  • Yeah, it's my real name.
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2019, 01:39:24 AM »
None of you will survive the coming war.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2019, 02:03:29 AM »
I once took my roommate to the park and he proceeded getting on a small QP and dropping in first try. That was and is so inspiring to me.
So is this. Keep progressing and post your stuff in the ‘post you skating’ thread!
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2019, 02:07:59 AM »
gotta start somewhere! Good job!

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2019, 02:46:40 AM »
shalom bro

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2019, 04:35:04 AM »
learn to ride the ramp up fakie and try to learn tailtaps. overextend them into stalling them. going back in should be no problem by then. you can tailtap in the middle of any transition basically. you might pop a fakie ollie by accident. whoops, you learned another trick. this is just one way. trick your mind into easening up. i didn't learn to drop in like this, i was heckled to commit. but i saw others who struggled learn it this way.

good luck and by all means wear protective gear if it makes you feel safer if you want to learn to ride transition, but know that most of it won't help when you roll your ankle or break a bone. you are trading being padded up for mobility and might never learn to properly bail out of something when you always fall to your knees. you can have the full kit and still break your neck on a slappy curb, theoretically. awareness is the best protective gear.

if i'd be a skateboard teacher, i would send my students hurling towards some object, like a parking block. i'd tell them to smash right against it and then bail out, making them go faster and faster. no foam pits. i want to see ninja rolls on concrete. i want to see them run out off a pebble halting your ride, possibly into a tree or car. i'd never even teach tricks, only bail out survival tactics.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2019, 04:46:24 AM »
Get yourself a skate helmet. That helmet you were wearing in the video looks like a bicycle helmet and is not intended for skateboarding. Personally I’m glad you chose to wear one. I don’t but I’ve been on skateboards since I was a little kid. If I started today at 29 I would buy a Protec. Glad you are shredding.

I’m not exactly sure this thread should be Useless Wooden Toy Banter. Probably Skate Questions. You might notice UWTB to be more shit-post oriented.

Push around on your board as much as you can and you will become more and more one with your board.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

PABLOS SWANPOWERS LOBSTER

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2019, 05:11:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
We should probably close this place down huh
[close]

U know it’s comments like those that make us all lose and therefore are not shalom. I hate this jock shit in skating, it’s so stupid. I don’t understand it from a pro perspective the most, like I’ve met enough pros where they have that mentality too and it’s kind of stupid. They limit the market and influence they have, which why would a company sponsor someone if they are gonna limit their market? Also why do companies want to limit their market by cool guying it? Like unless u have the clout of supreme with FA/Hockey u really are limiting yourself in terms of viability. The revive guys broke the code, yet have a horrible product, and some company needs to tap that market in a dope way and it’s depressing to see all these new companies try to “do it traditional” like those two, like do newer kids know their history? FA/Hockey are just world repeated, fuck all their graphics are tipoffs too. I love those guys, but if someone wants to do something revolutionary and really change the game they gotta go in the opposite direction. Personally I would rather read juicy details on the skate industry and hearing how people love things, but then don’t love things if they are exactly the same with different clothes. At the end of the day though I’m pretty juiced on a 50 year old dude who always wanted to drop in finally going for the commitment. I think every skater can relate to that, if you’ve never thought of a spot that scared you and going their on a mission to conquer it, then dare I say u have missed out on one of the greatest things skateboarding can bring you.

Shalom
[close]

What do you personally think the odds of me reading this are

C'mon man there is a whole thread about you being an egomaniac and replying to queries directed at you. You obviously read that.

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2019, 05:36:01 AM »
I dropped in on vert many many years ago and it's scary!  If I remember correctly I learned tail taps before i learned to full on drop in, i think it was easier cause i could work my way up to the coping at my own pace.  Also, I learned when I was 14 years old (44 now) on my backyard mini and I shoved a pillow into my jeans so I wouldnt hurt my ass too much.
do more yoga!

dofrenzy

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2019, 06:00:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Why’d you come here
[close]

<snip>

Why did *you* come here?

I've been thinking about this all night and I am sorry for my snarky response.  I was becoming a little defensive yesterday and I apologize.  The question of why I am here is a good one, and a humbling one once I realized that I was basically here to brag a little because I was psyched, so I came here for selfish reasons.  I should have also added:

I am here to pay respect to anyone that can ollie, drop-in, or do anything at all on a board with 4 wheels attached.  I think you all are awesome.

dofrenzy

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2019, 06:04:14 AM »
I really appreciate the support.  Thanks all.  I actually need to try to get some work done today.  I swear the ONLY thing I can think about is skateboarding.  Try to sleep....skating thoughts...try to drive....skating thoughts...try to work....etc.

Definitely will post my next steps in the appropriate forum.

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2019, 06:27:42 AM »
Awesome! Wear your helmet/pads, watch out for kids(they aren't always watching for you), carry some good health insurance. Broken bones are expensive. Keep at it my dude.
No.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2019, 06:52:12 AM »
as a skater who is almost 50 and has actually been consistently skating since i was about 11 or 12 (with all of the attendant injuries and physical costs), the first question that popped into my head when i looked at your first post, and saw that you are 50 and just now deciding to do this is: how did you (and your friends) treat the assumedly rare skateboarders that you had at your grade school, junior high, and/or high school when you were younger?

for those of us who are 50 (or near it) and have been skating most/all of our lives, we lived through the era when skaters were absolute pariahs and i personally--at points being the only skater at schools i went to--had to fight and defend myself daily literally just because i skated, was immersed in skating and its ancillary cultures, and i looked like i skated.

all water under the proverbial bridge at this point obviously, but i share this to perhaps shed some light for you regarding why at least one strata in the--dare I say--community that you have chosen to engage with this thread might view you and this thread with skepticism or perhaps even some hostility…many of us “lifers” went through varying degrees and forms of harassment, intimidation, and even brutalization at points simply because we skated, and consequently, now that skating has been commodified, popularized, and “trivialized and confined” (Lance Dawes) in many ways, it’s inevitable that newcomers especially of your age might be viewed with varying degrees of doubt or rancor.

that being said, congrats on the drop-in—if you think that is a rush, if you stick with it and progress wait until you feel the rush and speed of rolling in…
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:54:14 AM by Deputy Wendell »

sms_b

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2019, 07:52:02 AM »
Shalom!

Also, loosen up your stance and overall posture. Riding a board is like water, if you're not flowing you're frozen.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2019, 07:57:23 AM »
You guys are making me see so much of this

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2019, 08:17:06 AM »
Civil skateshop in RI?
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it