Author Topic: JENKEM - CREATING REALITIES: COMPARING PRO SKATEBOARDING TO PRO WRESTLING  (Read 5246 times)

Shuh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Im trying to figure out who is the Heath Kirchart of wrestling or the Mankind of skateboarding is?

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
"Royal Rumble cage match" is an oxymoron.

shit_for_brains

"Royal Rumble cage match" is an oxymoron.

The Royal Rumble is a no holds barred 30 man over-the-top battle royale that by it's very nature cannot take place inside a cage.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
Im trying to figure out who is the Heath Kirchart of wrestling or the Mankind of skateboarding is?

mankind is probably someone like matt schlager or ben gilley.

heath of wrestling would be like cm punk, who left on his terms and everyone wants back.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
Expand Quote
[close]

heath of wrestling would be like cm punk, who left on his terms and everyone wants back.

Mankind aka dude love aka cactus Jack aka mick foley seems kind of like Greco's many different transformations throughout the years for me.

Always got an old school wrestling vibe from old vert shows/contests especially the announcers.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
this is the most specific overlap of my niche interests and i've never been happier to pick apart an article.

however, some like, key things are wrong.

so that when a 275-pound guy drops ten feet onto another behemoth, his elbow doesn’t actually hit him,

That's wrong, it does. Talented wrestlers pull their contact, but they still connect.

It’s not unlike a royal rumble cage match, and not only because most skateparks are also gated arenas

Those are two very different things. royal rumbles don't happen in cages.

“Stone Cold” Steve Austin battling the Undertaker at Summerslam 1998 was a classic face vs. heel match.

No, it wasn't. Austin broke the mold, he was a face that was supposed to be a heel. But he was so charismatic that people liked him. He was a contrarian anti hero that got over by being anti corporate and putting on great matches.

All in all, great article, i loved it. more wrestling talk please.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Tuff Lover

Interesting read. I think we should start with promoters/skate brands comparisons before the wrestlers/skaters comparisons....

Who are the Vince McMahons, the Ted Turners, the Paul Heymans, Antonio Inokis, and Salvador Lutteroths, and unknown promoters of the industries...

I highly doubt skating contests are pre-determined like wrasslin', being that sls etc are essentially a person vs the course. However how strongly one skater is promoted over the other is definitely is definitely a thing. I would like to believe that skating contests arent pre-determined.

It would be crazy if brands are conspiring to have certain skaters intentionally not land tricks or are paying off "judges" just to promote

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I dont know too much about wrestling, but would Nyjah be Seth Rollins?

Rob Drydek = HHH maybe? Once liked, now the authority, making bad decisions for the activity as a whole?

Who would be Dean Ambrose?

njyah would be roman reigns. despite constant pushes, most people hate him. however, he sells a ton of product, mostly to kids.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

weregoingunion

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
I dont know too much about wrestling, but would Nyjah be Seth Rollins?

Rob Drydek = HHH maybe? Once liked, now the authority, making bad decisions for the activity as a whole?

Who would be Dean Ambrose?
[close]

njyah would be roman reigns. despite constant pushes, most people hate him. however, he sells a ton of product, mostly to kids.

HHH being rob dyrdek could work but i think people are pushing for HHH to take over vince mcmahon’s spot.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

bestdudever

• Rep: -14
id be dr. socko, maybe sting, maybe hulk when he got caught sayin nigga on the phone. all legends.

yall have them big wrestling dolls as kids? bro i fucked mine up, of the top of the coutch to body slam style, choke em out to elbow the face. i wasnt playin.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
A question for the oldheads. Who is Josh Kasper? I know he's a guy who would bail in demos on purpose, to make it look like he was struggling, and that he bit a lot of stuff from pro wrestling. But I've never seen footage and I don't know if I should.

MisterX

• Rep: 51
Omar Salazar would be Rick Flair based on the "Woos!" alone

Suave

• Rep: -21
tk is booker t. boring to watch but he'll accidentally say 'nigga' and catch our attention.
steve rocco is paul heyman.
heath is the undertaker.
brian anderson is gold dust.
barker barrett is hulk hogan [not the best performer but gets by on cool hair.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

Tuff Lover

id be dr. socko, maybe sting, maybe hulk when he got caught sayin nigga on the phone. all legends.

yall have them big wrestling dolls as kids? bro i fucked mine up, of the top of the coutch to body slam style, choke em out to elbow the face. i wasnt playin.

I had the 2lb solid rubber guys (Hulk Hogan, Iron Sheik, Koko B Ware, Nikoli Volkoff,  Junk Yard Dog, Jimmy Superfly Snuka, Andre The Giant,  and Big John Stud) and the ring. When i got bored with the ring i would launch all out assaults on my little sister's Barbie Dream house.

I think Stacy Peralta or Rocco would have to be Vince McMahon. Tony Hawk = Hulk Hogan and after that it's hard for me to do a skater=wrestler...what would be rodney vs daewon, Brett Hart vs Shawn Michaels?

Suave

• Rep: -21
iron sheik is omar hassan
big john studd is ben gilley
twuan is the JYD
greco and boulala were the road warriors
kamala is jabairi pendleton
davey boy smith is brandon beibel
mr fuji is spencer fujimoto

weregoingunion

• SLAP Pal
simon woodstock = doink.
brandon biebel = buff bagwell.
hornswaggle = wee man.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
yup A+ work. Would have never realized MJ and Guy in FF, Heath in Stay Gold, Dylan's Gravis part, and all the rest are grandiose, dramatic, self-indulgent, artistically aware skateboard performances and not raw spontaneous acts caught on film without this guy drawing all those parallels.

So thankful for this guy. don't know how i'd ever understand anything were it not for somebody to show me all the parallels in the world.
|| <-----wow

Tuff Lover

I see Twuan as more of a Jake the Sake.
Maybe Tas Papas as Macho Man

Tuff Lover

simon woodstock = doink.
brandon biebel = buff bagwell.
hornswaggle = wee man.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
Expand Quote
[close]

As someone who has read the entire mick Foley autobiography front to back multiple times I’m pretty sure dude love=gonz

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
Dustin Dollin is Mankind
Weckinball is Scott Steiner
Pj Ladd is Chris Benoit Don't talk too much and technical as fuck
Old Baker was DX

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
A question for the oldheads. Who is Josh Kasper? I know he's a guy who would bail in demos on purpose, to make it look like he was struggling, and that he bit a lot of stuff from pro wrestling. But I've never seen footage and I don't know if I should.

Kasper would be a WCW midcarder like Alex Wright.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
Expand Quote
[close]

Heath is definitely sting and it’s not even up for discussion

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
Dustin Dollin is Mankind
Weckinball is Scott Steiner
Pj Ladd is Chris Benoit Don't talk too much and technical as fuck
Old Baker was DX

Figgy= 2pac
Elissa= china

Can’t wait to see that prono

20matar

• SLAP Pal

New Danny Way footy