Author Topic: RIP Roky Erickson  (Read 1042 times)

WeirdBeach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
RIP Roky Erickson
« on: June 01, 2019, 12:53:54 AM »
i was never a huge 13th Floor fan but i know a lot of skaters dug them.... discuss.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: RIP Roky Erickson
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »
 Whoah!  that shook me.     "Street song" is a great Elevator tune.  Roky "Philosopy religion and music" is a great 3 part concert on youtube that captures his energy well. Great guitar player imo.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »
This part/song combo blended so well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTouiiGRaPY

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 10:55:58 AM »
The 13th Floor Elevators are one of the best bands ever, and definitely the best 60’s garage/psych band.  Roky was an amazing musician and singer and an incredible songwriter.

It’s very sad what happened to him mentally (and the way it was handled by the state) and amazing that he somewhat managed to come back from it.

I saw him play about 10 years ago in SF.... he mostly played Roky and the Aliens stuff which I’m so so on, but his voice was spot on.  He encored with ‘You’re Gonna Miss Me’ and brought the roof down on the place.

RIP... to the Kingdom of Heaven....

http://youtu.be/jGqEFQ5xmjU

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 10:52:17 PM »
What a legacy that man left behind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcGb24n9hvM

Glurmpz

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 10:34:44 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByLXdeDlQJt/

One of my favorites. I've seen him play a few times, but just over 10 years ago in Seattle with the Black Angels as his backing band was pretty cool. Shot a bunch of photos. I listened to every Elevators and Roky vinyl I have yesterday. He's back in outer space now.

Suave

• Rep: -21
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 10:51:25 AM »
some broad on fb posted this about him the other day. sounds like roky was approachable anyways....

"Roky Erickson almost killed my ex boyfriend when my ex was a little boy being raised by Cosmic Cowboys in Austin in the 60s and 70s. Not just once, but at least twice. My ex is a lot older than me and in the 60s and 70s he was a little boy and his parents hung out with the same crowd as Roky. Roky almost drowned my ex in a pool by “playing “ with him, which just amounted to him repeatedly dunking the child until he almost didn’t come up again. The only thing that really saved my ex was the fact that his mother FINALLY showed up again and saw what Roky was doing and she lept into the pool and scooped my ex up and put him on the ground on the side of the pool and she proceeded to start beating the fuck out of Roky. She was notoriously scrappy and my ex was almost dead, drowned to death, no joke.

Roky was never really quite right after tripping too hard and going to the psych ward when he got busted. Everyone knew that. He wasn’t quite right even before that, from the beginning. But I digress.

Another time he almost killed my ex when my ex was a kid was when the same big group of Austinite hippies and their little raggamuffin neglected kids were all hanging out in one of those big beautiful Texas ranch houses that the hippies loved to overtake and turn into communes and shit. So Roky and the ex as a six or seven year old or something end up alone together in this big room in this big ranch house. One of those huge beautiful dens those things all had, with fireplaces and huge exposed beams. There was a big beam going across the ceiling above their heads about ten feet up and Roky said to the BabyEx “I bet you can’t grab that beam if I lifted you up there.” Like a dare. So my ex , of course, said “ YEAH HUH COULD TOO !!” So Roky lifted him on up there. And as soon as he grabbed hold of the beam and Roky asked him if he had it and the ex said yes, Roky LET GO OF HIM AND WALKED AWAY LEAVING HIM DANGLING THERE TEN FEET OFF THE GROUND !! He looked at the little boy struggling to keep hold, screaming bloody murder and crying....and he walked out of the room and out of the house. My ex somehow managed to hold on...barely... for about ten or fifteen minutes until some fucked up hippie boomer parent or something came in , finally, after hearing the kid screaming for fifteen minutes, and rescued him. But if he had fallen, and it’s a miracle he didn’t, he could have easily broken his neck or his skull and died.

And that was Roky Erickson for you.

RIP Nutcase."

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 12:55:36 PM »
  "The times ive had" is my favorite Roky Erickson song.  ^poor kid. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 04:30:58 PM »
Definitely a legend with a pretty massive impact on the skate community.

Does anyone know where I could find a link to his documentary "You're gonna miss me"? Cant find it anywhere online.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 11:49:38 PM »
I feel fortunate to have caught him during his last two tours. Major influence. American treasure. Clip of "You're gonna miss me" from second to last time if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w__sNpXPFI