Author Topic: Nike SB | Stefan Janoski | For Daily Use  (Read 3713 times)

baggy spandex

Style Police

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
Re: Nike SB | Stefan Janoski | For Daily Use
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 10:42:10 AM »
Wonder how many millions he's made off that shoe. Probably one of the wealthiest skaters.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 11:01:29 AM »
Surprised by how open and straightforward this video was. Made Nike SB seem foolish for not believing in Janoski's design sense. Nothing but the truth.

JeremyScottofChapman

• Rep: -21
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 11:19:09 AM »
Yeah its so fucking sick how rich he must be from that shoe and that they were so not about it at first.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 11:32:24 AM »
Why does it give special thanks to Kevin Terpening?

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 12:00:17 PM »
Because nobody else will.

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 12:05:24 PM »
This makes me wonder how many of the other less successful pro models they've put out are a result of guys just saying "yeah fine, good enough".

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 12:22:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha, I was just wandering if he had gotten a job as Stefan's assistant or something (because he's obviously not producing any footage)

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »
Wonder how many millions he's made off that shoe. Probably one of the wealthiest skaters.

dude lives in laurel canyon, doesn't have to work ever again, and just spends his time on his hobbies. living the life.

i guess this is leading into the 10 year anniversary video that has full parts from blake & donovon dropping on go skateboarding day.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 12:47:13 PM »
I can't do janoskis they eat into my toe at the seem.

Although cheesy at times, I liked this. I would have liked Yuto and Shane to be in it, as they are sort of carrying to Janoski torch. Paul doesn't skate the Janoski.

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 01:11:58 PM »
So they said in this video it changed the paradigm for Nike Sb because before the Janoski, the most succesfull shoes were all remodelled vintage ones. Maybe I m not enough of a sneakerhead but my impression is that right now besides the Janoski and its variations all Nike Sb puts out are still remodelled vintage shoes.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 01:38:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Because thanking/rewarding Kevin Terpening is an industry trend. We thank him with top of the line sponsors and name drops for doing absolutely jack shit for years and years.

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 06:13:26 PM »

Although cheesy at times, I liked this. I would have liked Yuto and Shane to be in it, as they are sort of carrying to Janoski torch. Paul doesn't skate the Janoski.

Shane O'Neill blowing up at the same time as the Janoski, and wearing exclusively Janoskis, helped Stefan & the shoe so much. Around 2010/11 every kid wanted to be Shane O'Neill where I grew up. I don't think most of them had ever seen a Janoski part.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 06:39:23 PM »
So they said in this video it changed the paradigm for Nike Sb because before the Janoski, the most succesfull shoes were all remodelled vintage ones. Maybe I m not enough of a sneakerhead but my impression is that right now besides the Janoski and its variations all Nike Sb puts out are still remodelled vintage shoes.
Nyjah and The Koston are the only 2 other original shoes I think they make right now, it looks like their new concept is basically making the skateable Jordan 1 their new Dunk.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 06:41:16 PM »
was that a fake cigarette burn at the end of the video?

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 06:47:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Shane O'Neill blowing up at the same time as the Janoski, and wearing exclusively Janoskis, helped Stefan & the shoe so much. Around 2010/11 every kid wanted to be Shane O'Neill where I grew up. I don't think most of them had ever seen a Janoski part.

Everyone was getting on Nike to skate in Janoskis.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 07:09:33 PM »
This makes me wonder how many of the other less successful pro models they've put out are a result of guys just saying "yeah fine, good enough".

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 07:32:35 PM »
Surprised by how open and straightforward this video was. Made Nike SB seem foolish for not believing in Janoski's design sense.
Kinda like how Rowley had to really fight to push his first shoe through at vans

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I quit skating Nikes after I exhausted my resources hunting down affordable Ozar 2s. That shoe was stupid good.

But then again so are Vans pro series now so tomato=potato.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

familyrapist

• Rep: -6
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 10:08:29 PM »
haha i remember this, the original samples were absolutely terrible haha.

when they released most skaters were hating on them too. the people that actually liked them were the people who didnt skates haha. really a changing point in skateboarding where there was a shift from core-skate brands (baker, es, emerica, flip, girl, lakai, blah blah blah) to an acceptance of the corp brands nike and adidas.

id say a good reason is the design it was actually a great one for skateboarding. nikes and adidas do have generations of experience making shoes over skate brands. also there was a shift in the actual progression of skateboarding at the time. shoes were really just getting out of that adios, circa, dc, moon boot phase, at the time skateboarding became less about handrail chomping and stair counting, and more about speed and fluidity.

also core brands made huge mistakes, biggest probably being too margin driven. seemed like it was all about using the cheapest materials, and flooding the market with the most logo heavy designs, instead of creating great silhouettes with high quality material. I see a return to putting more money into the product, with "made to skate" shoes model in emerica and lakai, as recently over the past few years things have flipped and nike has thrown out quality control in favor of oversaturation and controlling the footwear market. seems like the start of a vicious cycle (or maybe im just a younger early 2000's skater that hasnt seen the skate market enough). I wonder what the next wave of skate shoes will look like, what companies will be around, what will be popular...

random stupid thoughts

G raham

• Rep: -47
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 10:58:53 PM »
Interesting how a company as big and rich as nike were so against something that ended up so ubiquitous
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 11:17:47 PM »
Are these things really that phenomenal to skate in? I’ve never been huge on that silhouette/shape.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 05:10:59 AM »

when they released most skaters were hating on them too. the people that actually liked them were the people who didnt skates haha. really a changing point in skateboarding where there was a shift from core-skate brands (baker, es, emerica, flip, girl, lakai, blah blah blah) to an acceptance of the corp brands nike and adidas.

id say a good reason is the design it was actually a great one for skateboarding. nikes and adidas do have generations of experience making shoes over skate brands. also there was a shift in the actual progression of skateboarding at the time. shoes were really just getting out of that adios, circa, dc, moon boot phase, at the time skateboarding became less about handrail chomping and stair counting, and more about speed and fluidity.

also core brands made huge mistakes, biggest probably being too margin driven. seemed like it was all about using the cheapest materials, and flooding the market with the most logo heavy designs, instead of creating great silhouettes with high quality material. I see a return to putting more money into the product, with "made to skate" shoes model in emerica and lakai, as recently over the past few years things have flipped and nike has thrown out quality control in favor of oversaturation and controlling the footwear market. seems like the start of a vicious cycle (or maybe im just a younger early 2000's skater that hasnt seen the skate market enough). I wonder what the next wave of skate shoes will look like, what companies will be around, what will be popular...

random stupid thoughts
I don't remember anyone hating on the Janoski when it dropped. Most everyone in my scene was super hyped on them.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 06:29:12 AM »
Expand Quote

random stupid thoughts
[close]
I don't remember anyone hating on the Janoski when it dropped. Most everyone in my scene was super hyped on them.

I think they were mocked quite a bit at first in Denmark, if I recall correctly :)

Also I know Staba gets quite a bit of (often deserved) hate here, but the pro model he designed for O'Neill, where he was a Janoski wearing robot was pretty funny

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 11:18:45 AM »
Are these things really that phenomenal to skate in? I’ve never been huge on that silhouette/shape.

Someone gave me a pair years ago and they really hurt.

Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2019, 01:12:31 PM »
I love how they keep emphasizing the originality of the shoe when it literally looks like a basic boating/deck shoe that have existed for decades before the Janoski came out. There’s nothing remotely original about the design.

Mutts

• Rep: 9
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 01:18:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I quit skating Nikes after I exhausted my resources hunting down affordable Ozar 2s. That shoe was stupid good.

But then again so are Vans pro series now so tomato=potato.

I skated 2 pairs of Salazars, they were great! Plus stash pocket!

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 02:36:52 PM »
Jesus Christ that whole fucking thing was excruciating.

Janoski was not releasing “2-3 video parts per year for a 5-6 year period,” like P Rod said. The closest figure to support this was 2007 with his Inhabitants part and his half-part in Nothing but the Truth. Since 2007 he’s released 4 parts total.

The design was nowhere near revolutionary. It was a boat shoe with a swoosh. Plop it on a vulcanized sole and it’s essentially a Vans Chukka. Furthermore, by the time the shoe came out in 2008, the “potato” shoe era was already done. Keep in mind the Reynolds 3 came out in 2005.

Janoski also sounds like a fucking prick in this. Besides the temper tantrums and release party demands they mentioned, he looked in the camera and said, “Stefan Janoski’s shoe has to be what Stefan Janoski says.” I don’t care if he smirked at the end of saying it, everything else in the video supports his dickishness.

Fuck the entire production staff behind this.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:40:54 PM by MyUserName »

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2019, 03:07:03 PM »

Janoski was not releasing “2-3 video parts per year for a 5-6 year period,” like P Rod said. The closest figure to support this was 2007 with his Inhabitants part and his half-part in Nothing but the Truth. Since 2007 he’s released 4 parts total.

The design was nowhere near revolutionary. It was a boat shoe with a swoosh. Plop it on a vulcanized sole and it’s essentially a Vans Chukka. Furthermore, by the time the shoe came out in 2008, the “potato” shoe era was already done. Keep in mind the Reynolds 3 came out in 2005.

Janoski also sounds like a fucking prick in this. Besides the temper tantrums and release party demands they mentioned, he looked in the camera and said, “Stefan Janoski’s shoe has to be what Stefan Janoski says.” I don’t care if he smirked at the end of saying it, everything else in the video supports his dickishness.

It threw me at first, but I’m pretty sure a lot of that was intentionally exaggerated as a joke. Go back and listen to it again, there’s no way they were serious about it. “It took over the rest of their business”? Nike is a massive global corporation, they’re definitely joking.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 03:22:18 PM »

I think it was in terms of Nike designs. Pouring dollars into marketing to such a minimal shoe was off brand for them. Curious if you ever had a pair because it fits nothing like a chukka or a Reynolds shoe. Thing was like a form fitting sock more than a shoe.