Author Topic: Bones Big Balls REDS  (Read 4072 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Bones Big Balls REDS
« on: June 18, 2019, 06:11:52 PM »
Has anyone tried these and have an opinion?

Still loving my modus bearings but thinking of trying those new basically 6 ball REDS
yes

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
Re: Bones Big Balls REDS
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 06:39:40 PM »
Running these in my shaped board set up. Seem to be on par with my Swiss from my regular street setup.

Full disclosure: I popped the shields on the Swiss right out of the box so they probably aren’t as fast as they should be at this point in their life.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

hmmmokay

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 07:00:20 PM »
Been skating my set for a couple of days now and I like them a lot. I feel like they roll smoother than Reds, and they feel a bit faster as well. Of course we'll see what happens a few weeks down the road, but my initial feeling overall is that they are a somewhat improved version of standard Reds. I'm not jumping down anything, so I wont be able to attest to the durability in regards to someone who takes more impact on the regs, though. For ~$5 more than Reds, they're worth a shot.

Edit: Arbee's comment reminded me; honestly, these feel better than my Swiss did even on day one. Maybe my set was a fluke, but I cleaned them regularly and they never felt like I'd been told they would.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 07:02:52 PM by hmmmokay »

Trashcon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:21:42 PM »
Been skating my set for a couple of days now and I like them a lot. I feel like they roll smoother than Reds, and they feel a bit faster as well. Of course we'll see what happens a few weeks down the road, but my initial feeling overall is that they are a somewhat improved version of standard Reds. I'm not jumping down anything, so I wont be able to attest to the durability in regards to someone who takes more impact on the regs, though. For ~$5 more than Reds, they're worth a shot.

Edit: Arbee's comment reminded me; honestly, these feel better than my Swiss did even on day one. Maybe my set was a fluke, but I cleaned them regularly and they never felt like I'd been told they would.

Hadn't heard of these. Reds are the way to go but down to give these a try. Are the bearings wider?

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 09:07:29 PM »
I'm on a set now,  coming off super six Swiss. They feel almost just as fast as my worn out shield less S6S... Good for the money.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 10:50:58 PM »
Full disclosure: I popped the shields on the Swiss right out of the box so they probably aren’t as fast as they should be at this point in their life.

Just curious as to why you removed the very feature that makes this bearing superior.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 12:04:52 AM »
Bones, please change the regular name on this product.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 12:36:20 AM »
Bones, please change the regular name on this product.

Ah ah, a guy at my local skatepark asked me what bearings I was riding, and I said "it's big balls!". And he looked to me with a weird expression...
By the way, I'm riding these since 2 months, and they are very good, far better than Reds and even Super Reds. But after 2 months, I feel that they start to feel "old" compared to my Swiss6 on another set-up, they start to get slower and mushy, but it's still very manageable compared to shit bearings like Andale. For the price, these Big Balls are very good, I'm happy with them. We will see in a couple of months, but my intuition is that the Big Balls are basically the Swiss6 with a reduced span life.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 02:10:45 AM »
Reds 6 would be such a better name.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 04:12:45 AM »
They changed the name of the Swiss Six to Big Balls also. Cringy as fuck but in the end very irrelevant to me at least.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 04:57:18 AM »
They changed the name of the Swiss Six to Big Balls also. Cringy as fuck but in the end very irrelevant to me at least.
Proof?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 05:02:40 AM »
It's 2019 hasn't skateboarding moved past testicle/dick humor?

I didn't buy them for the name, I bought them out of curiosity since I had a good run with Super Reds in a cruiser. And a good experience with some swiss 6 a few years back.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 05:34:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Proof?

Well damn. Can't find it. I could have sworn I saw them around on the interwebs a while before the Big Balls Reds came along but now can't for the life of me find any mention of them. Either I'm tripping or Bones backtracked on the name and somehow completely managed to purge all info from the interwebs.  :o

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 110
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 11:26:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Proof?
[close]

Well damn. Can't find it. I could have sworn I saw them around on the interwebs a while before the Big Balls Reds came along but now can't for the life of me find any mention of them. Either I'm tripping or Bones backtracked on the name and somehow completely managed to purge all info from the interwebs.  :o

I thought I saw the same thing too.  Maybe I was just confused by this?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxAN7XfhoNd/
Enjoy your life.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 11:37:30 AM »
It's 2019 hasn't skateboarding moved past testicle/dick humor?

I didn't buy them for the name, I bought them out of curiosity since I had a good run with Super Reds in a cruiser. And a good experience with some swiss 6 a few years back.

It's Powell....its 1988 to them ok? 

I got these too....set me up on my transition set up so can't really say.  I trust em though and think it's a good idea.  So far so good. 

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 12:20:01 PM »
What is whole idea that the bigger balls give them a higher top speed? 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 01:06:25 PM »
A few things, I supposed the main thing is that being 6 ball bearings inside instead of 8, there is less surface area friction, so less drag.
There are specifically bearing engineers that I'm sure could go into the diameter/distance debate and RPM, but I'll just say that maybe that's a thing too.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 01:14:47 PM »

1 less ball to overthink, yet here we are

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 01:28:29 PM »
I think it's more durable and less likely to get jammed up. 

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1277
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 02:07:58 PM »

The Super Swiss 6 ad copy from the Bones site:

"This unique design features six larger diameter balls instead of the seven balls used in most 608 bearings. The advantage of this design is higher speed, greater strength and durability. Made in Switzerland."
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »
I don't trust any bearing company who's C.O.O. isn't in the only Nirvana tribute band to have the blessings from the
three surviving members of the band.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 10:45:42 AM »
how have your guys' big balls been holding up? are these worth the higher price?

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 12:54:57 PM »
how have your guys' big balls been holding up? are these worth the higher price?

I'm riding them since about 10 weeks, and I start to feel the difference compared to the true Swiss 6 when I switch my boards. At first they were like the Swiss and I could not tell the difference, but now they are a little bit slower and less smooth. Nothing really bad, it's still far better than regular reds or all the shitty bearings I may have bought in the past. I think they are worth the higher price, I'm happy that they hold pretty well after 10 weeks. We will see in the next 2 months how things evolve.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2019, 05:29:15 PM »
Do people who ride downhill use tiny wheels?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2019, 05:34:22 PM »
Been skating some for just over a month. They’re definitely fast. One has already jammed up, and I’m not the kind of person to break bearings. I actually went back to my Bronson Raw’s (unpopular opinion) because they just seem that little bit faster. Sound better too haha.

Would definitely recommend for the price, though. They’re in my cruiser now with no problems.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »
Met up with a buddy at a shop before skating yesterday. I read this thread on my way downtown and I have a thing about always buying something when I go into a skateshop so I copped a set. They feel good out of the box. Rolled smoother and faster than my year old, never cleaned, shieldless Reds. I’m sure they’ll get better with time as most bearings do.