Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 109304 times)

Dan Gerous

Re: Twin tail
« Reply #660 on: February 04, 2022, 05:43:39 AM »
On the other hand, I guess it's understandable to let off-specs boards slide through and not want to change stickers for the correct ones given the very small profit margin on boards. Any hickup in production means even less profit.

robocop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #661 on: February 16, 2022, 08:42:12 AM »
Thank you everyone who reached out and were interested in trying out our twin tail shape in a 8.5. They're back in stock now, reach out if you'd like to test it out for 50% off (in exchange for a review here!) DM us on IG

Just wanted to share feedback that I would without a doubt buy twin nose (as opposed to twin tail) boards with medium to steep concave

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #662 on: February 16, 2022, 09:38:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Thank you everyone who reached out and were interested in trying out our twin tail shape in a 8.5. They're back in stock now, reach out if you'd like to test it out for 50% off (in exchange for a review here!) DM us on IG
[close]

Just wanted to share feedback that I would without a doubt buy twin nose (as opposed to twin tail) boards with medium to steep concave

Thanks for reaching out! We're definitely considering it but maybe down the line (later this year/early next) or if we see enough demand/requests for it

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Twin kicks
« Reply #663 on: February 16, 2022, 07:33:36 PM »

For people who want twin kicks, yes I said kicks as some want "tails" and some want "noses" is there a consensus on the length of said kick?

Most kicks are roughly in the 6.6 range, 6.5 being fairly short and 6.75 being fairly long for tails, as per most of the boards I have skated or measured in the last while, but then noses can be 6.8 right through 7 even up to 7.25 and longer.

I guess I think of a tail at 6.6 and a nose at 7 even for a common setup, so twin tails at 6.6 or twin noses at 7 would seem about right to me.

For reference I have three sizes of Real Ishod, an 8.25, an 8.3 and an 8.5, along with a couple of others including the Alien Workshop Owlien which is more like twin noses to me when I skated it, but cannot remember the kick lengths right this minute.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #664 on: February 16, 2022, 07:38:29 PM »
How many fingers of flat we talking? 

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #665 on: February 16, 2022, 08:10:21 PM »

That could be a whole other thread couldn't it?

:)

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #666 on: February 21, 2022, 06:33:28 AM »

Been riding my Glider 8” twin tail that I was lucky enough to get for 50% off for being a Slap pal.

I really dig it. At first the wood was a little heavier/denser than I was used to, but got used to it pretty quickly. Definitely quality wood, but maybe 20% heavier than a typical board. This is really my only complaint, as I’m getting older I’m trying to keep boards light as possible. Real nice pop, still feels good after 10 or so sessions

This board has done wonders for doing pop shovs in and out of grinds. That’s my go to trick, and honestly the reason I was interested in the twin tail. Just easier for me to comfortably catch certain tricks, especially going in and out of grinds. Also, my kick flips and heel flips have never felt better. I think having that little bit of flatter nose helps tremendously to get a proper flick off the board.

It may be subtle, but not having to turn the board constantly or when riding switch (my very limited switch game that is) is also a game changer. The only thing I realized was having the K grind notch in my truck is obviously an advantage, so It’s still nice to know where the front truck is.

These boards really have a future in skateboarding in my opinion. It didn’t at all limit my current bad of tricks, and helped me doing certain tricks quite a bit easier. The natural symmetry feels a lot cleaner too, but hard to explain.

Thanks again to Glider for the generosity. Shipping was super quick and packaging really professional. My only advice would be to work on some cooler graphics and clean up the Instagram  :) Not trying to hate, and understand trying to build support and inclusion, but not trying to see 12 year old skatepark kids on the feed. Maybe work on getting a solid team/promo together, and work on brand cohesion and identity. I really think you could corner a segment of the market with offering TT in a variety of sizes. Right now seems like the only other 8” offering is through Real, and I don’t really fuck with them.

Just curious, but is the name “Glider” a reference to the My Bloody Valentine EP? If so, really sick as I am a big Shoegaze head.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #667 on: February 21, 2022, 08:25:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m joking, but kinda not in that you’d could keep the same length but changing up the fingers of flat or kicks would make a difference too…..I wonder what the same dimensions would feel if made by different manufacturers is dwindle….

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #668 on: February 21, 2022, 10:18:16 AM »
Has anyone been skating the new Crob Twin tail from chocolate?, I am wondering how it compares to other twin tails right now

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #669 on: February 21, 2022, 10:37:24 AM »
Has anyone been skating the new Crob Twin tail from chocolate?, I am wondering how it compares to other twin tails right now

Coming from many ishod twin tails, the crob felt stupid light. the "tails" are super long and the wheelbase is short. The only way I could skate it was with my heaviest trucks(ace 44) and biggest wheels(55mm) in order to make it feel normal.

I ended up cutting it into an egg shape with 6.5" tails. Still feels best on ace trucks with 52-50mm wheels.
As a reference, I usually ride the 8.25 ishod twin with thunder titaniums and 51mm wheels, so super light.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #670 on: February 21, 2022, 02:30:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’m joking, but kinda not in that you’d could keep the same length but changing up the fingers of flat or kicks would make a difference too…..I wonder what the same dimensions would feel if made by different manufacturers is dwindle….

Ha yeah totally get it.

Even just the comment on the CRob twin above (copied below too), which is how it feels when a standard shape with set length between kicks is drilled in with a shorter wheelbase, so everything feels a bit too light.

I have experienced that with some other boards I had modified, as in they end up feeling way too heavy with extended wheelbase into the kicks, but can feel way too light if drilled in past where they normally would sit.

Different woodshop concaves play into this even more too.

Coming from many ishod twin tails, the crob felt stupid light. the "tails" are super long and the wheelbase is short. The only way I could skate it was with my heaviest trucks(ace 44) and biggest wheels(55mm) in order to make it feel normal.

I ended up cutting it into an egg shape with 6.5" tails. Still feels best on ace trucks with 52-50mm wheels.
As a reference, I usually ride the 8.25 ishod twin with thunder titaniums and 51mm wheels, so super light.

l1ll1ll1

« Reply #671 on: February 21, 2022, 02:35:51 PM »
Does anybody in this thread have experience with the Creature 8.8 Twin Tail?
I want to size up from my 8.3 Ishod, but feel the options are limited and I'm a bit intrigued looking at the short wheelbase and the shape... But I also dont have any experience with Creature in terms of quality.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #672 on: February 21, 2022, 02:52:12 PM »
I want to size up from my 8.3 Ishod, but feel the options are limited and I'm a bit intrigued looking at the short wheelbase and the shape... But I also dont have any experience with Creature in terms of quality.

I used to get Creature twins a while back for a guy who loved them, especially the 8.8 size and they lasted forever for him. 

They were the Evillive series - can go forwards or backwards and still the same word / deck.

Not sure about any nowdays as I hadn't seen Creature twins in a while, but they are strong stiff wood and people who skate them for those reasons like them.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #673 on: February 21, 2022, 03:03:05 PM »
I’ve been skating the Ishod Comfort 8.5 for a bit.
It felt good the first few sessions but I’m starting to have some complaints.
The double tails feel short and they seem pretty mellow.
I realize I’ve been missing my flick more often then not.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

l1ll1ll1

« Reply #674 on: February 21, 2022, 03:31:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I used to get Creature twins a while back for a guy who loved them, especially the 8.8 size and they lasted forever for him. 

They were the Evillive series - can go forwards or backwards and still the same word / deck.

Not sure about any nowdays as I hadn't seen Creature twins in a while, but they are strong stiff wood and people who skate them for those reasons like them.

Damn those Evilive decks look great but cant be found in europe... thanks anyway for the info!

l1ll1ll1

« Reply #675 on: February 21, 2022, 03:33:12 PM »

Hm, according to this thread you're not the only one, whos not really convinced about the Ishod 8.5.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #676 on: February 21, 2022, 03:49:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hm, according to this thread you're not the only one, whos not really convinced about the Ishod 8.5.

It is funny cause the one 8.5 Ishod twin is still sitting here in shrink.

The other normal 8.5 BBS wood boards with almost the same shape and 6.75 length tail and same 14.5 wheelbase just work for me (with a 7.2 or so nose) so it is not that different all up, but comparing them and standing on both side by side, I always put the Ishod twin back in a box.

For those who want a more pointy DLX standard tail, you can always try to shave a bit off each shoulder, but at the end of the day, I don't want to have to change a board when I have others that work without having to do that to them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #677 on: February 21, 2022, 04:01:00 PM »
Yah, I skated the 8.25 ishod on thunder 144’s….I’ve done it a couple times and would do again.  Lower truck, works well on the shorter medium nose but the wheelbase feels huge….I wanna try the crob…I’m skating ventures now and I like light….

Paul_Glider Skateboards

« Reply #678 on: February 21, 2022, 04:29:15 PM »

Thanks again to Glider for the generosity. Shipping was super quick and packaging really professional. My only advice would be to work on some cooler graphics and clean up the Instagram  :) Not trying to hate, and understand trying to build support and inclusion, but not trying to see 12 year old skatepark kids on the feed. Maybe work on getting a solid team/promo together, and work on brand cohesion and identity. I really think you could corner a segment of the market with offering TT in a variety of sizes. Right now seems like the only other 8” offering is through Real, and I don’t really fuck with them.

Just curious, but is the name “Glider” a reference to the My Bloody Valentine EP? If so, really sick as I am a big Shoegaze head.

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, I agree with you. We're planning to build a solid team later this year and will do our best to fine-tune our brand identity. And yup, the name is inspired by the mbv ep!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:36:05 PM by Paul_Glider Skateboards »

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #679 on: February 26, 2022, 05:23:31 AM »
Hello!

First message on the Slap Forums.

Just ordered a Chocolate Twin Chunk 8.25 with some Film 5.25 and 54mm F4 99a Classics Full (Repeaters).

Can't wait to put all that stuff together and try it out!

Pete W

• Rep: 11
« Reply #680 on: February 26, 2022, 07:08:44 AM »
Hello!

First message on the Slap Forums.

Just ordered a Chocolate Twin Chunk 8.25 with some Film 5.25 and 54mm F4 99a Classics Full (Repeaters).

Can't wait to put all that stuff together and try it out!

Congrats it’s a great board imo
Was my first twin tail so I don’t have a reference or comparison in that regard, but I was waiting for a twin tail with a short wb so this made sense
I came from the hockey/fa 8.38s (short tail, massive steep nose) and after the first session of slightly adjusting it felt awesome for me. I enjoy the extra room in the tail and it doesn’t feel weird or off to me at all. Especially tailslides feel better than ever on this one. And I’m not missing having a regular nose either, imo they nailed it with the "twin paddle"

Are you doing all new trucks or old w/ new bushings or something? I went with new bushings and pivot cups but it doesn’t feel 100% even but negligible

Independent 144 titaniums
Spitfire 54 f4 97a classics/ 56 f4 99a conical fulls

Quoted, don’t know if still relevant

I don’t have the 8.8 twin but I do have a regular 8.8 creature (see egg shaped thread), iirc the dims were very similar on those two
I do really like it but it’s a very short board, can be a bit squirrely, especially on transition imo
I liked the creature wood, held up very well and it’s super stiff and stays that way, some people don’t like that, I did
Maybe look at the heroin symmetrical eggs for something bigger as well, the 9.25 is my next board

Fhk

« Reply #681 on: February 26, 2022, 07:14:37 AM »

Been riding my Glider 8” twin tail that I was lucky enough to get for 50% off for being a Slap pal.

I really dig it. At first the wood was a little heavier/denser than I was used to, but got used to it pretty quickly. Definitely quality wood, but maybe 20% heavier than a typical board. This is really my only complaint, as I’m getting older I’m trying to keep boards light as possible. Real nice pop, still feels good after 10 or so sessions

This board has done wonders for doing pop shovs in and out of grinds. That’s my go to trick, and honestly the reason I was interested in the twin tail. Just easier for me to comfortably catch certain tricks, especially going in and out of grinds. Also, my kick flips and heel flips have never felt better. I think having that little bit of flatter nose helps tremendously to get a proper flick off the board.

It may be subtle, but not having to turn the board constantly or when riding switch (my very limited switch game that is) is also a game changer. The only thing I realized was having the K grind notch in my truck is obviously an advantage, so It’s still nice to know where the front truck is.

These boards really have a future in skateboarding in my opinion. It didn’t at all limit my current bad of tricks, and helped me doing certain tricks quite a bit easier. The natural symmetry feels a lot cleaner too, but hard to explain.

Great review! Thank you for taking the time to write that. I personally love TT’s and if I ever size down from the 9”+ setups that I currently skate, I will check out a Glider for sure. Good luck with your endeavor @Paul_Glider Skateboards

Solex

« Reply #682 on: February 26, 2022, 09:06:23 AM »

Congrats it’s a great board imo
Was my first twin tail so I don’t have a reference or comparison in that regard, but I was waiting for a twin tail with a short wb so this made sense
I came from the hockey/fa 8.38s (short tail, massive steep nose) and after the first session of slightly adjusting it felt awesome for me. I enjoy the extra room in the tail and it doesn’t feel weird or off to me at all. Especially tailslides feel better than ever on this one. And I’m not missing having a regular nose either, imo they nailed it with the "twin paddle"

Are you doing all new trucks or old w/ new bushings or something? I went with new bushings and pivot cups but it doesn’t feel 100% even but negligible

Independent 144 titaniums
Spitfire 54 f4 97a classics/ 56 f4 99a conical fulls

Thanks for your feedback, and nice set-ups.

I especialy ordered new Film 5.25 (8") trucks, first because I only have some old Ventures 5 on my current deck (so really narrower than a 8.25" board) and secondly because I was advised reading this forum that it is really better to start "from scratch" with a double "thing" type set-up to have the most possible neutral behavior.

I hesitated between this Chunk and the Owlien Twin because they both have these quite long nose'ish tip, but I thought the width (and maybe the lenght) of the AWS could be a bit too much for me. 

As an "old" 7.5"/7.8" boards skater from the late 90s/early 00s who barely skated since that time, this kind of large twin set-up will be really all new to me. Quite excited. :)

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #683 on: February 26, 2022, 11:07:39 AM »

I haven't skated other twin shapes so I can't help with a comparison but I've been skating the 8.25 Crob for a while now. I definitely said it a few pages back but it's currently my favorite shape I've skated. The boards I skated prior were the same dimensions (wheelbase, length, nose size, etc) except the tail. But I had no trouble adjusting to a slightly wider tail. I did buy an additional two decks to keep on ice just in case they end up being back ordered/ discontinued in the future.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #684 on: February 26, 2022, 01:03:29 PM »
If I rock my trucks the exact same tightness front and rear on a normal board would I notice much going to a twin tail? I’m curious to try one out again prob a Krooked 8.3, but my trucks still have tons of life left and I don’t want new ones.

Pete W

• Rep: 11
« Reply #685 on: February 26, 2022, 01:14:31 PM »
If I rock my trucks the exact same tightness front and rear on a normal board would I notice much going to a twin tail? I’m curious to try one out again prob a Krooked 8.3, but my trucks still have tons of life left and I don’t want new ones.

I think you'd probably notice a difference from one side to the other, weither that bothers you is up to you, maybe try riding your board backwards the next session and see how the trucks feel
I'd recommend just getting fresh bushings, worked for me
The way @solex did it is probably ideal

Solex

« Reply #686 on: February 26, 2022, 02:21:00 PM »
I did buy an additional two decks to keep on ice just in case they end up being back ordered/ discontinued in the future.
Anyway it seems that Crailtap want to spread that shape a little bit.

[crystal ball]
Personaly I think that that type of twin shape is the near future of skateboarding and could represent 50% of the popsicle market in like 5 years or so.
[/crystal ball]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 02:49:56 PM by Solex »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #687 on: February 26, 2022, 03:49:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think you'd probably notice a difference from one side to the other, weither that bothers you is up to you, maybe try riding your board backwards the next session and see how the trucks feel
I'd recommend just getting fresh bushings, worked for me
The way @Solex did it is probably ideal

I’ve got spare bushings so that’s not a problem really. I’ve skated my tail switch and like that it hits quicker for switch Ollie’s.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #688 on: February 26, 2022, 10:50:35 PM »
Twin is the truth. I hope those shapes stick around because I can‘t imagine going back. Well for the time being I still have 3 Neen twin noses in my stash.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • Get bent
« Reply #689 on: February 27, 2022, 09:33:37 AM »

No matter what i still have a nose and tail, even with fresh bushings or trucks or whatever, I’ve been riding the 8.3 krooked/real for the last four or five boards, I like how mellow it is, and it definitely helps when doing switch stuff for me cause it’s not as big as a nose as other boards, feels like it flips a bit quicker, but yea I love that board
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog