Author Topic: Anyone ever have mono?  (Read 1291 times)

skatefresh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
Anyone ever have mono?
« on: June 21, 2019, 10:27:37 AM »
Has anyone here ever had mono?  If so how long were you out for? I'm going to go crazy if I can't skate for 8 weeks.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
Re: Anyone ever have mono?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 02:16:40 PM »
I was extremely tired all the time for 3 weeks or so.  Somehow, yet barely, managed to continue working my production job the whole time.  Getting 7 blood tests in 2 weeks wasn’t fun, and I had like zero appetite, but I made it.  Some people have a much tougher go of it, but others maybe less so.

skatefresh

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »
I was extremely tired all the time for 3 weeks or so.  Somehow, yet barely, managed to continue working my production job the whole time.  Getting 7 blood tests in 2 weeks wasn’t fun, and I had like zero appetite, but I made it.  Some people have a much tougher go of it, but others maybe less so.
It's been about a week since the initial symptoms. I'm starting to feel better, just a bit lethargic. I originally thought it was strep, as it was misdiagnosed by the doctor. I am just worried about the whole enlarged spleen thing. Normally I am very active so sitting bed ridden for a week is driving me crazy. I can't imagine going longer than two weeks without skating or going to the gym.  :-\

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 05:41:35 PM »
8 weeks? Is that the normal? I could have sworn I had it before and was good to go after a few days of antibiotics
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

skatefresh

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 06:43:17 PM »
8 weeks? Is that the normal? I could have sworn I had it before and was good to go after a few days of antibiotics
Since mono is a virus, it just has to run it's course. They say you should avoid strenuous physical activity for 8 weeks, because mono usually causes your spleen to enlarge. Any serious fall to the abdomen could cause it to rupture. But, everyone is affected differently.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 06:45:54 PM by skatefresh »

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 07:29:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Since mono is a virus, it just has to run it's course. They say you should avoid strenuous physical activity for 8 weeks, because mono usually causes your spleen to enlarge. Any serious fall to the abdomen could cause it to rupture. But, everyone is affected differently.

They definitely didn’t tell me that part.

I was on some antibiotics not long ago for not mono and one of the side effects was stiffening of tendons. They said I shouldn’t even run while I’m them.  Which was a bummer cause I couldn’t skate. And at the time I was going to the gym to lose weight. That 10 days set me back for sure. Just sat in the house and drank for 10 days 
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 09:42:39 PM »
Yeah it really varies from person to person. I got mono when I was 31 and it hit me super hard. Always wondered if my older than typical age had something to do with how hard it hit me. The first weekend I was experiencing symptoms I thought I just had a bad cold and went skating two days in a row. As you probably learned/were told, doing intense physical activity while having mono can amplify the symptoms and that is exactly what happened to me. I recall being in bed for 1.5 weeks and experiencing aches/pains at sites of old injuries that do not typically ever bother me anymore. Also ended up losing a bunch of weight. Messed me up for a good while.

skatefresh

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 04:47:35 PM »
Yeah it really varies from person to person. I got mono when I was 31 and it hit me super hard. Always wondered if my older than typical age had something to do with how hard it hit me. The first weekend I was experiencing symptoms I thought I just had a bad cold and went skating two days in a row. As you probably learned/were told, doing intense physical activity while having mono can amplify the symptoms and that is exactly what happened to me. I recall being in bed for 1.5 weeks and experiencing aches/pains at sites of old injuries that do not typically ever bother me anymore. Also ended up losing a bunch of weight. Messed me up for a good while.
Damn. I'm just hoping I can make a quick recovery.

Masshole

• Rep: 23
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 08:59:40 AM »
Does anyone know how risky skating is in terms of falling in a way that could rupture an enlarged spleen? I got diagnosed yesterday and while I do feel somewhat fatigued the nice weather has me wanting to skate, even if lightly with lots of breaks. I don't think I've ever really fallen in a way that could rupture my spleen but then again I'm not entirely sure what a spleen rupturing fall could look like.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 09:20:58 AM »
I had it 4 years ago and was fine after a week or so.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 09:57:01 AM »
Had it in junior high. Thought everyone would think of me as some kinda big time Romeo that had kissed a girl. But no one seemed to notice I was gone for two weeks.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 12:16:01 PM »
Pretty sure @DGKALIS had it around 2006

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 41
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 01:34:52 PM »
Had it a couple of years ago, was already 30+ at the time. Caught me really hard, but my immune system isn't the best anyways. I was traveling with my girlfriend at the time  for already like 5 months and we basically had to stop, I was out for quite some weeks and as we didn't figure out in time what it was I was suffering from, the long term effects stayed with me for a while, good that you got it diagnosed already. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 06:19:02 PM »
I can’t remember exactly I think when I was 13 of 14. I had to google it we call it glandular fever here but I think it’s the same, I had months off school and I remember being real sick and sore for a couple weeks and then just felt fucked for months after

But I would skate around the house when parents went to work so can’t have been that bad. But I would get really tired after and have to sleep for a bit. I don’t remember anything about my spleen
I played computer heaps I remember that haha I had half life already but this one called counter strike came out and I played the fuck out of that

But yeah I think I was fucked for some time after but you just get a little better every day sort of thing
listen to cosmic psychos

Fhk

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 02:48:09 AM »
I can’t remember exactly I think when I was 13 of 14. I had to google it we call it glandular fever here but I think it’s the same, I had months off school and I remember being real sick and sore for a couple weeks and then just felt fucked for months after

But I would skate around the house when parents went to work so can’t have been that bad. But I would get really tired after and have to sleep for a bit. I don’t remember anything about my spleen
I played computer heaps I remember that haha I had half life already but this one called counter strike came out and I played the fuck out of that

But yeah I think I was fucked for some time after but you just get a little better every day sort of thing
This is almost spot on to my experience with mono. Well if you add the fact that my tonsils swelled up so much that they still almost touch to this day. And I slept for 26 straight hours a week into it. Kinda fucked that I slept through an entire day. Hope you get through it better than some of us man.

Masshole

• Rep: 23
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 08:27:06 AM »
Thanks for the well wishes. Tried skating yesterday but was wiped after a few flatground tricks. It pains me to think i'll be losing some of the progress I've made recently but c'est la vie, more time to spend here I suppose.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 08:35:50 AM »
i had it in highschool.

honestly had no real symptoms except my spleen was so enlarged that when i ate my stomach would push on it and it would hurt.  that only lasted like a week or so.

i had strep a few months earlier during an ice storm and never took meds for it and it essentially turned into mono 2 months later? i guess that can happen. 

don't drink and don't do crazy activity

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 08:46:17 AM »
Had it when I was a kid and was pretty tired for a week or 2 and patents made me take it easy for a week after that. Obviously a doctor would know best but if the New York jets let their quarterback play after 3 weeks you could probably skate when you start to feel better in that same timeline

Spunkchild

• Rep: 38
  • Big gal
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 10:50:08 AM »
I only jerked off and played team fortress for like four months, good luck pal.
I have bad taste and I smell like fetta cheese