Author Topic: Fear in Skateboarding  (Read 3240 times)

BlindForLife!

Fear in Skateboarding
« on: June 24, 2019, 08:47:30 PM »
I can do a mini ramp drop but a larger ramp that's a problem its just the thousand ways things can go wrong hit your head and what not. Scared to pop shuvit off a drop. What Should I do?

Bagelskate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 62
Re: Fear in Skateboarding
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 04:29:55 AM »
Drink a beer

backsidebonefull

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 03:21:56 AM »
Just do the same stuff again and again until you're fully comfortable with it and can do it with your eyes closed. It's all muscle memory.

SurfNDope

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:34:08 AM »
Just do the same stuff again and again until you're fully comfortable with it and can do it with your eyes closed. It's all muscle memory.

Couldn’t have said it any better myself. 

What a find

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 05:20:54 PM »
Go up and kickturn on any transition you wish to drop in on

The more you go up, the more you can get down
Big brain plays my dude, think ov da maths

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 11:13:15 AM »
Bend your legs a little, lean forward, and keep your weight on your front foot.

It's like riding a bike after the first one.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 08:32:15 AM »
Pump from the bottom and do tiny fakie tailstalls.

jimstolz

• Rep: -82
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 04:02:04 PM »
push along the top and ollie in. Doing that enough so that you don't give a shit about diving over the side and you start to stop wussing out on regular drop ins. That's what worked for me I guess. Your skateage may vary

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

• Rep: -16
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 10:01:22 PM »
All good tips so far, but I would add the tip that I received early on that has never failed me and has allowed me to progress up to dropping in on vert (still cant skate vert for shit, but I CAN drop in).

The "thing" about dropping in that makes it different, and the reason its scarier than rolling up and down the tranny is a matter of momentum and control. 

Starting from a cold stop, there is that "dead zone", where momentum has started, but all 4 of our wheels haven't touched down yet, so we have yet to gain "full" control over the board.

We're "going over the falls" and hoping that we smashed our foot down in the right spot.  We need to "eliminate" or "minimize" the dead zone".  But how?

The key is to SMASH the front wheels down with AUTHORITY.  Smash harder than you think you need to.  As hard as you can without throwing your balance off. 

Try it on flat a couple times.  You should be aiming to feel low, centered, and propelling forward (even on flat) with full control.  It may feel silly doing it this way, especially on something mellow, but later on, it will translate into generating more speed off the drop in i.e. higher airs and longer grinds.  You can always taper back as you see fit, but be ABLE to maintain control at full force.

What ends up happening, is the steeper the drop in, the harder you'll need to smash to get the wheels down, so be accustomed to doing it already.  By focusing on the smash, your body will instinctively adapt to whatever angle it's being called to, as long as you don't hesitate. 

Once your board is set, "it's eye of the tiger up there", visualizw success, do NOT think.  Just SMASH!!!

Remember, you may be on a steeper wall, and your "lizard brain" is trying to stop you, but your BODY has already done this a million times, albeit on something a little less steep.  Sprinkle a dash of "fuck it" on top and "COMMIT!!  You can do it, Danny"

"Now go home and get your fucking Shinebox"

tranny in the streets

• Rep: 12
  • Gronk
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 10:23:48 PM »
I'm a giant wuss when it comes to skating too, like I can do a lot of tricks on flat pretty consistently but when I try to take them down gaps I just throw them away.

I think the one thing that helped me do flip tricks down gaps and whatnot is really just having that singular focus, you can't really think of anything else except how your board moves. Watching your board is super important, and having that confidence to stomp down on it when the time comes is crucial. It's easier said than done of course, and I still pussy out on a lot of my sessions when skating gaps, etc.

So yeah, clear your head and just do it. Thinking is detrimental to skateboarding IMO, the more you think about it (during the session, while trying) the less likely you'll be to land it. I remember a lot of times when I used to do bigger stuff there was almost a moment during the trick where my mind was completely still, like I was meditating, and all I was doing was watching my board.

That being said, I'm terrified of rails and ledges. I wish I could do more tricks on them, and have kind of hit a plateau, I think fear is one of the things holding me back :(

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 04:57:05 AM »
Once you get that first bail out of the way and figure out what you did wrong you'll know what to do
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 06:57:18 PM »
Remember if you can do it on flat you can do it off a drop which is basically a curb but bigger. When you approach trick your mind into thinking of doing a regular popshuv and you will get it bolts.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 07:43:57 AM »
Remember if you can do it on flat you can do it off a drop which is basically a curb but bigger. When you approach trick your mind into thinking of doing a regular popshuv and you will get it bolts.

I'd much rather kickflip a set than shuv it..

fake nollie.sk8er

• Rep: -37
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 10:24:52 AM »
This is why I would bring a helmet to street spots if I skated them.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 10:02:56 PM »
listen to cosmic psychos