Author Topic: Opinions on Switch Mongo?  (Read 6523 times)

Torre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
Opinions on Switch Mongo?
« on: June 27, 2019, 09:24:12 AM »
As the title says, I’m curious about what other people think about this. It used to be the norm with pros like in the 90s but it’s less popular now.
In my opinion, the benefit is that other people know whatever trick you’re doing is switch. The con is that it subtracts points for style.
Your opinions?

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Fotos avatar image
Re: Opinions on Switch Mongo?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 10:12:12 AM »
I don't mind it, but I don't recommend it. It is bad for your hip to only push with one foot.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »
I don’t mind when I see pros doing it. Some make it look kinda stylish. I however don’t so I’m trying to learn to push switch.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 11:28:11 AM »
obviously a switch push looks nicer but not everyone is ambipedal so it can take a lot of practice to get good at. until you've developed the muscle memory in your non-dominant foot/leg.. it might be necessary to push mongo switch just to get the right speed for fakie or switch tricks. having said that... I think regular switch pushes are something to strive for.. it just looks way better and shows some dedication.
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 11:38:36 AM »
It's acceptable but not preferable. Personally, especially when skating long distances, I like to push regular, then revert and push switch for a while, then go back to regular, and so on to not put too much stress on one particular push leg. I would say if you are getting footage only push switch if you have a really good one.

Edit: recently I had a turning point where my switch push got better because I made a point to do it more, put more weight on my switch front foot longer, make turns while pushing switch, and forcing myself to push switch up to switch and fakie tricks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:41:28 AM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

What Up With That

• Rep: -4
  • EWW WEE
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 07:43:03 PM »
The rules are pretty clear on this:

1) If you were pro before 2000 or you are currently a flowed (not sponsored) armature skateboarder, you get a pass

2) Pro after 2000 or sponsored AM, no pass

Learn to skate switch proper or go home

The caveat will always be, if you are fucking around with your friends then it's cool

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »
I suck at skating and I push switch. If you are getting paid or getting a good amount of free product for skating you should have the common decency to push switch.

Tiago would be a top three for me if he pushed switch.

ondeezyst

• Rep: -3
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »
can't back switch mongo anymore. How have you spent all that time skating and never learned how to push switch?

Torre

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 09:33:51 AM »
can't back switch mongo anymore. How have you spent all that time skating and never learned how to push switch?
I skated from 2000-2007 and had a hiatus until about 2016, and have been skating since then, so I haven’t been skating the whole time lol

ondeezyst

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 10:04:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I skated from 2000-2007 and had a hiatus until about 2016, and have been skating since then, so I haven’t been skating the whole time lol

took me 2 months when i hurt my ankle to learn how to push around switch.. its been 3 years bro just learn

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 10:39:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

took me 2 months when i hurt my ankle to learn how to push around switch.. its been 3 years bro just learn

Yeah, I learned it at 32. My ancle was inflamed from always pushing with the same foot and not resting enough. I decided to push only switch to my local park to help my ancle recover. Took me a few weeks to make the half mile without falling off my board. It took me about one year to feel really comfortable. I am now almost as comofortable pushing switch as I am pushing regular. I still suck at switch tricks, though...

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 11:09:01 AM »
I suck at skating and I push switch. If you are getting paid or getting a good amount of free product for skating you should have the common decency to push switch.

Tiago would be a top three for me if he pushed switch.

Tiago's switch mongo is fuckin' gangsta though. It really looks good. Not all switch mongo's are the same and that dude actually pulls it off without looking weird.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 12:29:50 PM »
I’d rather see a confident switch mongo push than a weak-ass switch push. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 12:36:49 PM »
I never even tried switch mongo.  Its looks cool to me.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 06:01:17 PM »
You can’t call how Kalis pushes, for example, switch mongo. I remember him switch pushing into a fakie flip wearing a blue wind breaker thinking, ‘man that was dope’. I don’t think I ever thought regular pushing was dope.

Exhibit A: Keenan’s opening line in Mouse. The way he pushes where his hands go back slightly before the switch K grind. If he pushed regular the line would not have been as iconic.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 06:51:41 PM »
You can’t call how Kalis pushes, for example, switch mongo. I remember him switch pushing into a fakie flip wearing a blue wind breaker thinking, ‘man that was dope’. I don’t think I ever thought regular pushing was dope.

Exhibit A: Keenan’s opening line in Mouse. The way he pushes where his hands go back slightly before the switch K grind. If he pushed regular the line would not have been as iconic.

I didn't even have to click on it^ I totally remember those hands.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2019, 07:12:58 AM »
what about fakie mongo? have you ever tried regular mongo? it’s pretty hard if you’ve never really done it. try them all. regular. switch. mongo. switch mongo. fakie mongo. nollie mongo.

Torre

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 09:58:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Just to clarify, I do both atm. It’s easier when you need some speed and good foot positioning in time for the trick to push switch Mongo. But I’ve worked on pushing switch also and am somewhat confident with it but for some reason I feel less confident approaching a trick when I do so. Also I feel like people judge when you push funny when you are learning to push switch, and not to mention that  it tells people that are watching that you are about to do a switch trick when you push switch mongo. Those have been my hang ups. But based on what people are saying about it I think I will work on pushing switch more and pushing switch Mongo less.

Tattooq

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2019, 05:24:04 PM »
Switch mongo is the proper way to skateboard. Theres nothing wrong with pushing switch though, I do both. I’ve Been skating since 1990 and no one thats been skating less than 25 years should have an opinion on the subject. No 20 year old is gonna tell an o.g. How to skateboard....

Tattooq

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 05:29:31 PM »
And muscle imbalance happens in every sport and everyday activities. Not a major problem for most people

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 05:49:46 PM »
Ill give you a Bunt answer, Its illegal unless someone makes it look good like Kenny Anderson and Daniel Shimizu.

handplant circle

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2019, 05:58:51 PM »
I like it when people are just really good at hiding it......if you land fakie and need to "switch mongo"....it's easy enough to just move that foot that stay's on the board to the front.   When done pushing and you still want to be going fakie or switch.....just put your feet back in that position after you push.

The funny thing to me about the name and not that act of...... is "switch" didn't exist when people simply had to push going backwards/fakie. 

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »
I respect the fuck out of people who push switch. its an extr alevel on finesse.
but I cant hate on switch mongo, ive been skating nearly 20 years and I never learned how to push switch. its always on my to do list but never got round to it yet

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 07:49:27 PM »

At this point that's the whole statement and I kind of love it.

If it looks good it looks good, if it's ugly it's ugly. Just no baby steps please

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 08:33:43 PM »
I never pushed mongo, switch or regular. Never felt comfortable. Plus I thought I'd get more power pushing normally switch then I would mongo and I thought I'd be more "symmetrical" if that makes sense. Plus Chris Cole of all people had an interview in 2001 where he basically said he thought a good switch push was important, and since he was mondo beyondo at that time I decided to follow suit. 

But I honestly don't know where the phenomenon of switch mongo came from and would like to know.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 08:48:52 PM »
I never pushed mongo, switch or regular. Never felt comfortable. Plus I thought I'd get more power pushing normally switch then I would mongo and I thought I'd be more "symmetrical" if that makes sense. Plus Chris Cole of all people had an interview in 2001 where he basically said he thought a good switch push was important, and since he was mondo beyondo at that time I decided to follow suit. 

But I honestly don't know where the phenomenon of switch mongo came from and would like to know.

Probably because fakie predates switch and was regarded as riding backwards, not mirroring your normal stance, so I guess people just did whatever they needed to do and pushed fakie (I personally never call it switch mongo). The idea of doing tricks equally in all stances came later and I guess that's when most people started adjusting, or becoming self-conscious about their switch push quite early on.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 08:57:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Probably because fakie predates switch and was regarded as riding backwards, not mirroring your normal stance, so I guess people just did whatever they needed to do and pushed fakie (I personally never call it switch mongo). The idea of doing tricks equally in all stances came later and I guess that's when most people started adjusting, or becoming self-conscious about their switch push quite early on.

That didn't dawn on me. Crazy that they probably thought even though they're going backwards they still have to use the same leg to push, just in a different direction. But I guess it was the 80's.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 02:20:10 PM »
I'm trying to remember when I first saw switch pushing. Maybe it was Koston in a 411? I remember everyone started pushing switch immediately after that and vibing switch mongo pushers.

I tried for a while but prefer pushing switch mongo and think it can look good. I'm stoked when people do it now that were too young to skate back then.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »
I heard Ricky Oloya say it once and since then stopped doing it...dont mind it for the most part

Torre

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 03:17:15 PM »
I never pushed mongo, switch or regular. Never felt comfortable. Plus I thought I'd get more power pushing normally switch then I would mongo and I thought I'd be more "symmetrical" if that makes sense. Plus Chris Cole of all people had an interview in 2001 where he basically said he thought a good switch push was important, and since he was jmondo beyondo at that time I decided to follow suit. 

Funny enough, Chris Cole actually pushed regular mongo even when he started getting noticed as a skater. I think Jamie Thomas told him he had to fix it to be on the team lmao