Author Topic: Opinions on Switch Mongo?  (Read 6524 times)

Torre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
Re: Opinions on Switch Mongo?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2019, 03:24:04 PM »
I'm trying to remember when I first saw switch pushing. Maybe it was Koston in a 411? I remember everyone started pushing switch immediately after that and vibing switch mongo pushers.

I tried for a while but prefer pushing switch mongo and think it can look good. I'm stoked when people do it now that were too young to skate back then.
I remember seeing Koston push switch mongo in his Es Menikmati part from like around 2000. I知 guessing the 411 issue was after Menikmati was released (forgive me if I知 spelling Menikmati wrong lol)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2019, 08:21:06 PM »
Expand Quote
I never pushed mongo, switch or regular. Never felt comfortable. Plus I thought I'd get more power pushing normally switch then I would mongo and I thought I'd be more "symmetrical" if that makes sense. Plus Chris Cole of all people had an interview in 2001 where he basically said he thought a good switch push was important, and since he was jmondo beyondo at that time I decided to follow suit. 

But I honestly don't know where the phenomenon of switch mongo came from and would like to know.
[close]
Funny enough, Chris Cole actually pushed regular mongo even when he started getting noticed as a skater. I think Jamie Thomas told him he had to fix it to be on the team lmao

Oh that's right. Jesus, the big yellow shirts, the regular mongo, the circus tricks...he was a real piece of work.

Brguy

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2019, 11:18:01 AM »
The rules are pretty clear on this:

1) If you were pro before 2000 or you are currently a flowed (not sponsored) armature skateboarder, you get a pass

2) Pro after 2000 or sponsored AM, no pass

Learn to skate switch proper or go home

The caveat will always be, if you are fucking around with your friends then it's cool
Exception made if you're Tiago Lemos.

adiofootwear

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2019, 02:03:52 PM »
I actually like it more than a regular switch push. You definitely wanna have both though. Regular gives you better control and symmetry with your legs lol but switch mongo just looks better I think.

blunted

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2019, 12:38:37 AM »
How else would you let everyone know you did it switch  ;D

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 01:15:58 PM »
depends who does it. i don't think there's a rule for that, despite what ricky oyola says.

i'll say this i'd rather have someone push switch mongo with confidence than someone attempting to push normal when switch who looks uncomfortable doing so.

Rick_Kane

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 04:03:53 PM »
Mongo push for fakie tricks, switch push for switch tricks.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2019, 09:17:01 AM »
How else would you let everyone know you did it switch  ;D

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2019, 10:17:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm trying to remember when I first saw switch pushing. Maybe it was Koston in a 411? I remember everyone started pushing switch immediately after that and vibing switch mongo pushers.

I tried for a while but prefer pushing switch mongo and think it can look good. I'm stoked when people do it now that were too young to skate back then.
[close]
I remember seeing Koston push switch mongo in his Es Menikmati part from like around 2000. I知 guessing the 411 issue was after Menikmati was released (forgive me if I知 spelling Menikmati wrong lol)

I made an effort right after Mouse came out. I noticed Mariano pushed switch and I thought it was fantastic.

Others might have noticed Jason Dill in Trilogy. Even the same switch push at the same spot. Roughly the same time period (1996).

Wonderful Whizzplank

• Rep: 8
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2019, 10:48:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I made an effort right after Mouse came out. I noticed Mariano pushed switch and I thought it was fantastic.

Others might have noticed Jason Dill in Trilogy. Even the same switch push at the same spot. Roughly the same time period (1996).

Speaking of Dill, I remember hearing somewhere he has a good switch push because he was a mongo pusher in his early days?

Also, I don't really care how you push switch, as long as the push is confident.
Total newbie

DotGuru

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2019, 10:37:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Speaking of Dill, I remember hearing somewhere he has a good switch push because he was a mongo pusher in his early days?

Also, I don't really care how you push switch, as long as the push is confident.

I remember him talking about an injury that caused him to skate a lot more nollie/switch before Trilogy came out (9 club interview I think?).
I just watched his part in Snuff out of curiosity and it looks like he was pushing switch most of the time then as well (1993). Though he does start to push switch mongo in the last line of the section.

DotGuru

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2019, 07:13:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

YouTube just suggested Dill's first section (probably because I was watching Snuff yesterday). He does indeed push mongo in some of the section--and some regular as well.

craig_midnight

• Rep: -2
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2019, 12:47:29 PM »
I'll push switch mongo till death. Switch it up when the sciatica acting up tho.

craig_midnight

• Rep: -2
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »
Expand Quote
I never pushed mongo, switch or regular. Never felt comfortable. Plus I thought I'd get more power pushing normally switch then I would mongo and I thought I'd be more "symmetrical" if that makes sense. Plus Chris Cole of all people had an interview in 2001 where he basically said he thought a good switch push was important, and since he was jmondo beyondo at that time I decided to follow suit. 

But I honestly don't know where the phenomenon of switch mongo came from and would like to know.
[close]
Funny enough, Chris Cole actually pushed regular mongo even when he started getting noticed as a skater. I think Jamie Thomas told him he had to fix it to be on the team lmao

Whoa good memory. You must be from Jerz? I remember seeing him at a park contest in Jersey doing the craziest shit but pushing mongo. Didn't really care, but it's still like, " That's not switch though" lol.

I think he was on world or one of those companies under that umbrella first, before Tum Yeto. I can definitely see Thomas saying some shit like that.

AssFea

• Rep: 3
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2019, 08:01:02 AM »
I learned switch push when I was 38 or 39. That痴 30? years of piss peddling.

Every where I go people say wait what stance are you? I知 like don稚 talk to me.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2019, 05:55:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just remembered where I first saw non-switch mongo! Jeron's pro file in 411 #3. He looks smooth but you can tell it's new to him. Everyone started doing it around me after that. I still push switch mongo to this day.

https://youtu.be/vQ3K6PNeY-o?t=2255
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 05:59:38 PM by 43 »

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2019, 06:41:22 PM »
I love it when you see a clip where the skater pushes switch when it doesn't matter then back to switch mongo when it counts.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2019, 08:19:20 PM »
only acceptable if you are from brazil, or spent time in philly/east coast.

chrisxmafeoso

• Rep: 0
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2019, 09:57:15 AM »
Depends whose doin it

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2019, 12:20:36 PM »
No switch mongo