Author Topic: Whats the no BS answer on low and mid ranged bearings?  (Read 9619 times)

dakara

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Whats the no BS answer on low and mid ranged bearings?
« on: July 05, 2019, 04:22:47 AM »
So after doing some quick research into the industry(mostly from reading that old forum post by the bearing engineer dude), these are a few things im fairly sure about:

- there are only a handful of bearing manufacturers in the world
- European(Swiss and German) made bearings are top quality, and will last longer, but very expensive.
- All other bearings are made in China for 10-20 cents a bearing at various factories
- There are two tiers of china bearings, 1.) non metallic bearing cage, non metallic shield(better quality, ubiquitous among "legit" skate brands) and 2.) metal bearing cage, metal shield (walmart complete bearings)
- All skateboard bearing brands buy from one of the major bearing manufacturers, slaps their shields on them, and then market them.

When people talk about their experiences with bearings that arent euro made, you almost always get wildly different feedback. From reds to andale, the reactions range from fast and lasted years to locked up in 2 weeks. To me, this indicates that the issue with non-euro bearings is inconsistent quality among anything china made, not specific brands being better or worse. Ive skated all sorts of bearings but never swiss, and to be completely honest ive never really seen much difference between any of them in terms of performance or durability which only cements my above opinion. However, reds seem to be the near universal answer to anyone who isnt going swiss, and bones/skateone have a reputation for better quality control than random bearing companies started up by enterprising pros or a deck companies bearings.

That leads to some questions, most important to me, does anyone know if say, bones reds are made in the same factory or same manufacture as bronsons(or any other skate bearing brand)? And with that in mind, even if  you presume bones china bearings may have slightly better or more consistent china factory than other brands(which is very possible based on anecdotes and general skater consensus), since Reds and mini logo are both under bones(skateone), it stands to reason that both of these bearings are made by the same manufacturer. This would mean that since these are all 10-20cent bearings there is probably virtually no meaningful difference in quality between reds and mini logo except how they are marketed. The feedback ive seen on mini-logo bearings has been generally decent, leading me to conclude with the information that I have that $10 mini logos are logically the best value in bearings if you arent going swiss.

Anyone else have insight that isnt the usual "skated [insert brand] for 2 weeks and they sucked" etc

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
Re: Whats the no BS answer on low and mid ranged bearings?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 04:34:20 AM »
Bones Reds and Swiss is the no BS answer.

Reds have always done me right. They don’t last forever of course but are only like 17 bucks. I do live in the US. I have heard that in some countries you have to watch out for fake Reds.

Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

thomas kook

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 04:37:09 AM »
all i can add is that in the netherlands we used to have 'budgetbeuker' around which were said to be made in the same factory as bones, just different (cheaper) branding. i ended up riding them for quite a while with no problems, so you might be right. then again, i know nothing and this is just one experience

thomas kook

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 04:38:40 AM »

Reds have always done me right. They don’t last forever of course but are only like 17 bucks. I do live in the US. I have heard that in some countries you have to watch out for fake Reds.

i got 5 bucks you read the title and not the post

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 04:45:44 AM »
A factory can be located just about anywhere and make shit or good quality. A factory will in most cases make various differing products. Some might be of higher spec than others for example. While I appreciate your thoughts on this and it really is something that should be looked at in a more scientific way, I find your view on it overly simplistic.

dakara

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 04:47:17 AM »
all i can add is that in the netherlands we used to have 'budgetbeuker' around which were said to be made in the same factory as bones, just different (cheaper) branding. i ended up riding them for quite a while with no problems, so you might be right. then again, i know nothing and this is just one experience

Thanks for the info. That is the biggest question i have, what skate bearing brands manufacturing overlaps with each other(if any). Reds have the reputation as the best non swiss bearings, but i cant find a solid answer on the actual manufacturing landscape in china to determine if they are actually considerably different than other china made bearings, they may even be made in the same factory as some brand that has a shit reputation. The skater consensus that has led Reds to being no.1 could very well be 100% marketing, in which case just buying the cheapest non-metallic cage bearings available is the way to go.

dakara

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 04:53:26 AM »
A factory can be located just about anywhere and make shit or good quality. A factory will in most cases make various differing products. Some might be of higher spec than others for example. While I appreciate your thoughts on this and it really is something that should be looked at in a more scientific way, I find your view on it overly simplistic.

But i was basically saying the same thing? I mentioned how the conclusion I came to is that all non-euro made bearings seem to be inconsistent in quality, which lines up exactly with your thoughts on factory quality. Since there is no cost effective way to scientifically test bearings for me and no other person doing it, I just have to do research, and what ive found is its highly likely that there is virtually no difference in discernable performance between china made bearings due to inconsistency during manufacturing, and thus just buying the cheapest is the best route

Trust me if I had the money I would gladly blow a weekend buying 50 sets of bearings of each model from various brands and doing a highly controlled test for many repetitions. But the reason I think about this stuff in the first place is I dont have alot of money so I try to get the most bang for my buck from my skate products. Flatspotting a wheel or breaking a deck could mean i cant skate for 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:56:18 AM by dakara »

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 04:56:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lol I skimmed it. He wanted a no BS answer.

I would be extremely surprised if Bronson are made in the same factory as REDS. If so, why are REDS so much better?
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 04:59:24 AM »
mini logos and reds

thats it bro

dakara

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 05:12:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Lol I skimmed it. He wanted a no BS answer.

I would be extremely surprised if Bronson are made in the same factory as REDS. If so, why are REDS so much better?

I've never skated Bronson, but I've rode the gamut of non swiss bearings from black cats to deck companies etc and of course reds(on a completely fucked set rn actually). If im being completely honest, I've never noticed a big difference between any of them, which is what led me to this question. I used to think reds were the standard especially when i was a teenager, but a couple years back i realized that if I really thought about it none of the bearings ive had have really performed any different from one another and I just thought reds were the best cause thats what everyone says.  I'm not saying that Bronsons are definitively on the same quality as reds much less made in the same factory, but given what the supposed facts are about the bearing industry it is highly likely that either of those are the case. We're talking mass produced in china stuff here, is the 15cent red bearings  that much different from Andale's 15 cent bearing? And if reds are actually made better or more consistently, skateone/bones is the company behind both these products, meaning that its highly likely that $10 mini logos are virtually identical to $20 reds.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 05:13:32 AM by dakara »

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 05:24:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But i was basically saying the same thing? I mentioned how the conclusion I came to is that all non-euro made bearings seem to be inconsistent in quality, which lines up exactly with your thoughts on factory quality. Since there is no cost effective way to scientifically test bearings for me and no other person doing it, I just have to do research, and what ive found is its highly likely that there is virtually no difference in discernable performance between china made bearings due to inconsistency during manufacturing, and thus just buying the cheapest is the best route

Trust me if I had the money I would gladly blow a weekend buying 50 sets of bearings of each model from various brands and doing a highly controlled test for many repetitions. But the reason I think about this stuff in the first place is I dont have alot of money so I try to get the most bang for my buck from my skate products. Flatspotting a wheel or breaking a deck could mean i cant skate for 2 weeks.

I understand your reasoning but why don´t you buy the bearings where you know they are quality(swiss) and will last? You have to shell out more money initially but in the long run you don´t have to replace them that often and save money compared to buying new cheap bearings every few months.

Anecdotal story about my first set of swiss bearings. They lasted me 6 years without cleaning them once and are still going strong on my friends board.

dakara

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 05:33:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I understand your reasoning but why don´t you buy the bearings where you know they are quality(swiss) and will last? You have to shell out more money initially but in the long run you don´t have to replace them that often and save money compared to buying new cheap bearings every few months.

Anecdotal story about my first set of swiss bearings. They lasted me 6 years without cleaning them once and are still going strong on my friends board.

If I had the money I would, I live paycheck to paycheck and a cheap set of bearings lasts me about 8-12+ months anyways. My current set I've had for a year and a half and they are fried after getting caught in a storm on the way home last week, but I literally have $30 equiv to my name till payday next week and i cant justify doling out alot of money on swiss especially since im not American and they cost almost double here compared to the states. Your logic is sound, but I literally cant afford to drop 100USD equiv on something i can get for 20USD equiv.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 05:35:53 AM by dakara »

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 06:03:08 AM »
I've never had mini logo bearings. If my local has them maybe I'll try them next time I need new ones. The only reason I'm giving my non-scientific, personal experience, is to add to the pool of data. REDS have been consistently decent, SWISS crazy fast, and the only time I ventured out of the brand it was a waste of time and money.

So after doing some quick research into the industry(mostly from reading that old forum post by the bearing engineer dude), these are a few things im fairly sure about:

Link to this?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 06:06:27 AM »
Track down some ninja bearings, quality and bang for buck is crazy when compared to other companies

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

dakara

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 06:16:23 AM »
I've never had mini logo bearings. If my local has them maybe I'll try them next time I need new ones. The only reason I'm giving my non-scientific, personal experience, is to add to the pool of data. REDS have been consistently decent, SWISS crazy fast, and the only time I ventured out of the brand it was a waste of time and money.

Expand Quote

[close]

Link to this?

The original post is on an old defunct forum, this is a repost on a different forum:

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/14867

I am going to pick up a set of mini-logo next week when my check clears, along with some formula 4s ive been saving up for. Currently riding some ancient cored ricta 53mms that have been worn down to 45mm, they are almost worn down to the cores lol. I will compare the innards with my current reds, although my reds are so trashed that i dont know if i will be able to learn anything of use.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 06:26:20 AM by dakara »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 06:52:30 AM »
I'm my experience the best bearings are for sure bones swiss and super 6.
If you don't want to spend that much money Flip HKD, both 5 and 7, are great.
Reds is a classic safe bet.
At the end swiss are the best value for your money, last set lasted me little more than 5 years.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

artskool

• Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 07:52:26 AM »
I rode cheap bearings for 20 years, and finally bought a set of swiss bearings. I feel like an idiot for not doing it sooner. $65 literally makes you faster on a skateboard. I have a couple of setups, and these bearings easily have lasted 3-5 years on average, half-ass cleaned maybe once a year.

Diocletian

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »
That Rockin Ron guy knows his stuff and exposed how most of these cheap bearings all come from the same factory. Reds having some sort of higher priority/QC as they are probably the most reliable and purchased bearing on the market at that price point.

I’m not a smart consumer when it comes to bearings, because I’m too lazy to clean them. Therefore, it’s Reds for me. I’ve had Swiss and Swiss 6 that didn’t last very long due to getting dirty. Right now I have a couple wheels with Swiss in them and the rest are Reds. No shields and they’re all loud, smooth, and fast as hell. Only a matter of time until they seize up. Then I’ll open up my new pack of Big Balls.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2019, 10:47:16 AM »
But i was basically saying the same thing?
No, you were not.

I mentioned how the conclusion I came to is that all non-euro made bearings seem to be inconsistent in quality, which lines up exactly with your thoughts on factory quality.
How the hell did you come up to that conclusion? Have you ever been in a factory? You seem to think a factory just churns out the exact same product over and over and that's all they do. This is very far from reality.

Since there is no cost effective way to scientifically test bearings for me and no other person doing it, I just have to do research, and what ive found is its highly likely that there is virtually no difference in discernable performance between china made bearings due to inconsistency during manufacturing, and thus just buying the cheapest is the best route
I don't trust your research one bit. Sure there might be bearings cheaper than Reds that are equally as good (or even better) but there certainly are bearings cheaper, same price and even more expensive that are far worse. All made in China. This does not support your "research".

Ok

Why you think all Chinese bearings are the same quality is beyond me.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 10:54:44 AM »
My last Swiss were just alright. I have reds that are faster. The last pair of bearing I thought were the shit were Swiss 6, and should buy again. I’ve had good hardlucks/Indy blacks but the long term durability wasn’t as good as regular reds. I don’t notice a speed increase with higher quality bearings,  I notice a slow down with low low quality bearings. I’ve got a few decent sets of mini logos. I am not contributing anything meaningful here, I just haven’t solved the bearing riddle.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 12:02:45 PM »
https://www.vxb.com/searchresults.asp?Search=skateboard&Submit=

6 Balls, as RR has written up are indeed faster than your regular ABEC3/5/7/9/etc

I've ridden Swiss 6 for years, they are noticeably faster than anything I've ridden. Bronson G3s have been the second fastest - Both being shieldless and dry you can feel and hear the difference, Swiss 6 being superior.

Tolerances mean shit in skating given how we trash them, everyone should know that by now, spending $5 more for an ABEC7 is a waste; buy some $10 bearings, wait until they slow, pop the shields and replace as needed, especially if you find yourself constantly fucking up your bearings.

That said, there are clearly lower end shit bearings and higher end shit bearings (e.g., enjoi vs redz), and just like with decks (veneer quality, age of wood, QC.) companies can pick quality.

I've not ridden RR 6balls but tried Tectonics 6balls with built in Spacers and rings and they are also super fast.

I'd wager that BONES' Big Balls are probably the best bang for the buck right now.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:16:36 PM by Xen »

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2019, 12:30:40 PM »
I just buy the $10 ones. Spitfire, Mini-Logo, Shake Junt, w/e. I'm convinced they're exactly the same as Reds. I've personally never liked Reds, they're not fast and break fast.

More expensive bearings go fast and break just as fast or faster in my experience. Haven't tried Swiss tho. Talking about Super Reds and Bronson

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2019, 12:42:09 PM »

i've won a set of fake reds in a contest before, they're awful. i don't know how many kinds of fake reds are out there but the ones i won had bonesbearings .com (with an extra space before the .com) written on the back of the packaging. real reds don't have the spacebar in the address on there.

as for good cheap bearings, i like the modus blues i have, they're really good and haven't slowed down at all since i bought them (~2 months ago)
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 02:22:00 PM »
I trust Powell for QC and product design more than any other company....

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
I find that the evolution of the price range of Bones products match their quality. You feel the difference when you upgrade from Reds to Super Reds, and then to Swiss. It does not mean that they really worth their price, I'm sure the factory produces them for less, but at least the price is consistent with what you could expect. For all other brands, you never know what you get, they can sell you for 40$ a shitty 20cents bearing with "Swiss (made in China)" printed on it, but within a cool packaging. I guess that's why most people stick to Bones...

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 05:23:49 PM »
Reds are really good for about 4 months and then maybe chuck em.   Anything else seems like a ip off.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 06:46:22 PM »
I find that the evolution of the price range of Bones products match their quality. You feel the difference when you upgrade from Reds to Super Reds, and then to Swiss. It does not mean that they really worth their price, I'm sure the factory produces them for less, but at least the price is consistent with what you could expect. For all other brands, you never know what you get, they can sell you for 40$ a shitty 20cents bearing with "Swiss (made in China)" printed on it, but within a cool packaging. I guess that's why most people stick to Bones...

I concur, and BONES doesn't pull punches with pricing, given the spectrum of the product line you do get what you pay for and you can feel it.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 846
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 07:49:04 PM »
I'm my experience the best bearings are for sure bones swiss and super 6.
If you don't want to spend that much money Flip HKD, both 5 and 7, are great.
Reds is a classic safe bet.
At the end swiss are the best value for your money, last set lasted me little more than 5 years.

Gonna definitely agree on the Flip HKD's. I got a set of the 7s for free and they're actually probably my fastest bearings and I've done zero maintenance to them.

Swiss are great durability-wise, even with popped shields they just keep on trucking, but I've found that the regular swiss aren't really crazy fast. In my experience they're about the same as a good set of reds (I've found some reds to be better than others, probably something to do with chinese QC standards) speed wise. It's also important to note that while Chinese bearings can be absolute trash, there are plenty of good ones too. I think a lot of the Reds hype is due to A) marketing and brand loyalty and B) they're not bad bearings - but not that good either. You can definitely find better bearings in the same price range, but a lot of people stick with what they know and trust, which is Bones.

If you want something cheap and disposable go with ML or Reds if you can get them cheap. If you want something with a bit more performance but potentially shorter-lasting I'd recommend the Flips, Indy Blacks, Shake Junt triple OGs (the other SJ ones all suck), or I've also heard really good things about Modus although I haven't actually used them myself. If you want something that's going to give good performance and last a long time then go with the Swiss.

I've actually been pricing non-chinese bearings from wholesalers and have been contemplating pulling the trigger on some Japanese or some GMN, NMB, or FAG bearings (yes that's really what they're called) just to see if what Rockin' Ron preaches stands up. They're kinda expensive if you only order 8, but if you order like 200+ they're relatively cheap.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:51:06 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

dakara

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2019, 01:30:32 AM »
Expand Quote
But i was basically saying the same thing?
[close]
No, you were not.

Expand Quote
I mentioned how the conclusion I came to is that all non-euro made bearings seem to be inconsistent in quality, which lines up exactly with your thoughts on factory quality.
[close]
How the hell did you come up to that conclusion? Have you ever been in a factory? You seem to think a factory just churns out the exact same product over and over and that's all they do. This is very far from reality.

Expand Quote
Since there is no cost effective way to scientifically test bearings for me and no other person doing it, I just have to do research, and what ive found is its highly likely that there is virtually no difference in discernable performance between china made bearings due to inconsistency during manufacturing, and thus just buying the cheapest is the best route
[close]
I don't trust your research one bit. Sure there might be bearings cheaper than Reds that are equally as good (or even better) but there certainly are bearings cheaper, same price and even more expensive that are far worse. All made in China. This does not support your "research".

Expand Quote
[close]
Ok

Why you think all Chinese bearings are the same quality is beyond me.

lmfao all right man, your pissy comments are attacking points i never made. "you seem to think a factory churns out the exact same product over and over" no dipshit my entire post is literally asking about whats the no bs answer to what these factories produce and that these factories likely make INCONSISTENT product. The fucking opposite of the exact same product

"Sure there might be bearings cheaper than Reds that are equally as good (or even better) but there certainly are bearings cheaper, same price and even more expensive that are far worse" this sentence makes very little sense and your grasp of english seems to be shit tier, but if you are trying to say the quality of bearings made in china is all over the place thats literally the basis of my entire post. I understand if you arent an english language native language but your fuckboy know it all attitude is oozing out despite your inability to form coherent sentences.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2019, 04:35:57 AM »
[/size]
Wrong!

All bearings are the same $2 chinapieces of shit with a different logo except Bones Swiss and I believe Modus are from the germany factory but don't quote me on this.

Here's my source all taken taken from this thread (http://www.concretedisciples.com/bbs/index.php?action=vthread&forum=1&topic=90)

I'll quote all the info.

"Well here's what I've learned. I am a bearing engineer of almost 20 years dealing with miniature bearings for skate, aircraft, aerospace, and NASA applications dealing with all aspects of design, and ABEC specification. More recently my nephew and I started our own High Tech Bearing Company six months ago, Ok enough bullshit. The ABEC is the allowable tolerance. The ABEC 1 tolerance for the bore of a 608 bearing is .3150" +.0000 / -.0003".==== that means the Bore could be anywhere from .3147-.3150" (8MM). ==== ABEC 7 is .3150 +.0000 / -.0002. (.3148-.3150) What does all this mean??? The Abec tolerance is all but INSIGNIFICANT in a skate application. Skateboard Truck Axels are not manufactured to the same tight tolerances as the Bearing. And the O.D. of the Bearing goes in a flexible urathane wheel. This eliminates any possible advantage of the Abec tolerance would give to assure accurate fit. The Abec is the DIMENTIONAL TOLERANCES. The Abec tolerance does cover out of roundness and for this reason I would use ABEC 3 or better. Almost any bearing with the country of origin on the bearing except for china will be Abec 3 or better. Back in the 80's they had to sort bearing lots to get the Abec 3 and Abec 7 Bearings. Todays modern machines make to Abec 3 or better even if they are marketed as abec 1. They will have an Abec 3 price and a Abec 1 price to give you a choise, but it will be the same Abec 3 bearing. ANY BEARINGS FROM CHINA WILL NOT BE BETTER THAN ABEC 1. China will put "ABEC 7" or "FUCK YOU" on the bearing if you order 5000 or more!! No laws in China against that. You cant mis-mark the bearings in the other bearing manufacturing Countries. Bearings with a Metal Ball Cage have a 40,000 RPM Rating. Plastic Cage = 100,000-150,000 RPM.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT. 1) The Manufacturer. All Chinese bearings are crap. All those weird name brands are shit. Top of the Line bearing manufactuers make 608's with the proper Raceway Curvature, cages and internal clearances. WIB, GMN, GRW and NMB manufacture the best bearings in the world for skateboard. For those of you not fimiliar with these names, WIB makes all the bearings for "Bones" All Bones bearings marked "Swiss" are manufacturered by WIB Miniature Bearing in Switzerland for Bones. GMN and GRW make all the German Bearings no matter what name may be marketet on the shield. Plastic or non-metalic ball cage will make more way more difference in speed than any ABEC change.
OPTIMAL BEARING: I have used everything in the world, Ceramics manufactured just for my SkateBoard, Abec 9, Bearings Manufacturered by every bearing company in the world. I have access to over 400 Lubricants in my field.
WHAT DO I SKATE ON ???
The best bearing by design right now is the Super Swiss 6 by Bones with SpeedCream. The Bearing had several advantages. 1) It is manufactured by WIB Bearing. 2) They are made with a tight Raceway curvature to avoid "Excess Axial Play" 3) They are supplied with a Re-enforced plastic cage rated at 150,000 RPM 4)Laberinth Non-Contacting Rubber Seals to keep out dirt. This is the obtimum design for free rotation and keeping out contamination.
Ceramic Ball Bearings are only good if they come with Plastic or Phenolic Ball Cages. As a Hardcore skater skating 4-5 days a week. Super Swiss 6 with Speed cream cant be beat. Fuc* the Abec rating. The Abec rating is designed so that the bearing has manufacturing consistancy in order to manufacture mating parts to simular tolerances. (Re: Precision Shafting and Housings.)
Ron

Oh Yeah
... one more note on why the Super swiss 6 has lower starting and running torque (This is Known as Speed to us skateboarders)
All 608's are made with 7 ball compliment. The Super Swiss 6 is the ONLY 608 manufactured with a 6 ball compliment. The Balls all bigger, can take higher load (Impact), Have less ball surphase touching the raceway with 6 balls instead of 7 which lowers the running torque of the bearing making the bearing get to full speed quicker. I am sure within the next year you will start seeing more 6 ball designs, but right now its WIB(Bones) that makes 'em...At all possible, stick with German or Swiss with Plastic or non-metalic ball cages. Any bearing with a steel cage will be slower no matter where it's made. Grease is just an oil with a thickener, the thickener in the grease will slow down your bearing and running just oil will attract contaminates from far away and not provide proper protection. Use the Good-old Speed Cream in the skate shops. By buying German or Swiss what is important is you will know the bearing is manufactuered by a very high quality bearing manufacturer who does the final raceway polishing what the chinese dont, and who it is. There are so many names and marketing stratagies going on with Chinese Bearings, you will get lost in it all. At my old Company we brought in Chinese Bearings for .12 Each. We had the Stamping machines to Mark the Shields. We did PIG,GIRL,SPEED DEMONS, and several others. All were from the same manufacturing lot with different color/marked shields. Any of those weird brands are probably a .12-.18 cent bearing made by the millions with no quality control and several key manufacturing processes left out in order to sell the U.S. for .12 cents.
Bearings marked "Thailand" = NMB
Bearings marked "German" = GMN or GRW
Bearings marked "Swiss" = WIB Bearing
Someone mentioned to me SKF Bearings. SKF Bearings are manufactured in almost every country in the world. SKF no longer manufacturers miniature bearings and hasen't for over 10 years, SKF Contracts out their miniature bearings to the Miniature Bearing Manufactuers. Last year it was IKS and NTN. Could be someone different next year. SKF Specialises in Large Bearings. Don't use SKF....
. . . . . .
Yes, the Bones-Chinese[Reds] are in the same class as the other Chinese Bearings. Bones China are may be a little better than the other China or unmarked brands as far as consitancy since they probably been using the same China trading Company for years, but still is a .12-.14 cent bearing.
. . . . . . .
On your third question the smaller balls tend to brinell the bearing races easier than the larger ball will. A brinelled race will have little indends from the balls impact, basically destroying the bearing. Thicker races will make the bearing a little stronger from the standpoint of cracking the races, but that should be a rarity. But Brinelling the bearing is more common than cracking races..Should be...
As far as Bearing failure, Brinneling is one reason, Lack of proper lubrication is #1 cause for bearing failure because once you run metal on metal and balls and raceways get scored, everything will wear and fail quickly.

As far as Oust Bearings...Its another Marketing Stategy. Look, it comes down to everything I said in these bearing post as far as the bearings configuration. Notice the low end Oust MOC5 is "Carbon Steel Cage" with standard non-contacting rubber seals. Their Rolls royce is the MOC9. Here is their desciption of the Seal "The Moc 9 Buna Non-Contact Seal is set into a U-channel design in the inner and outer races to keep all foreign particles out of the ball area. It also stops any oil leakage that might occur on a standard bearing seal." THIS IS THE LABYRINTH INNER RING and seal weve been discussing that the Bones-Swiss, Black Hole Bearings have. The MOC9 also comes with a non-metalic cage....thats what makes it quicker than the MOC5. No matter what brand you like, 1) get bearings with a non-metalic cage 2) Buy the bearings with the Labyring inner ring and seal design,no matter what they may call it. Your bearings will outlast a dozen sets of the old style shielded bearings.
. . . . . . .
The Swiss and German manufacturers make their 608 with a tighter raceway curvature as well (harder to mfr.) than the Chinese. This eliminates a lot of excess axial play(end play)in the bearing.
. . . . . . .
....As far as installing, VERY good question indeed. You can ruin a bearing installing it before it turns even once on your axel. The Rule is "Only apply preasure to the ring being mounted." To put the bearing in your wheel, some people put the bearing on the axel, unside down and press the wheel on the bearing. BAD ! The pressure against the balls can brinnell the raceway if hit with too much force. Since the Outer Ring is being mounted in the Wheel you need to apply preasure to the outer ring only! Not the inner ring. I use an Old bearing that I disassembled and have the outer ring only, put it against the outer ring of the bearing being mounted, and a small block of wood and rubber mallet. As far as removing them, another good reason not to re-use the bearings. The same rule applied to dis-assembly if the bearing is to be salvaged. However, there is no way of removing the bearing using the outer ring. Even the bearing pullers must remove the bearing by pulling on the inner ring. Brinelling will not happen everytime you mis-mount the bearings, but the degree of damage can be so slight, you may not notice. Yes, I use a bearing puller when removing bearings, however, bearing pullers were desighed for alot bigger, more durable bearings. Using a Bearing Puller on a Miniature can and will cause at least microscopic damage almost every time. Remember: Only apply pressure to the ring being mounted. Alot of people ruin their bearings before they even start!!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:38:36 AM by Jud Nestorkins »