Author Topic: Loveletters - Canada  (Read 4504 times)

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
Loveletters - Canada
« on: July 11, 2019, 05:57:52 PM »

Get fired up

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -54
Re: Loveletters - Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 06:15:27 PM »
Probably my Canadian bias, but I really enjoyed this. Lots of old clips. 

ArtVandelay

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 06:41:59 PM »
Sick.. canada has produced so many good skaters - vancouver in particular.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 07:17:25 PM »
Kinda pissed that the east side of Canada doesn't sell Cheezies; I've only found these delectable delights in BC.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 07:37:05 PM »
Kinda pissed that the east side of Canada doesn't sell Cheezies; I've only found these delectable delights in BC.

They sell them in Ontario. Maybe not common but I see them at Shoppers Drug Mart all the time for example.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1376
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 07:39:44 PM »
So cool that Weiss shouted out Brent Jordan, he's amazing - looped the cradle at Vanderhooft. I've been on a session with him before as well. Very nice guy. Psyched they gave a shout to Mike McDermott as well.

Edit: Also wondering what the deal with that filmmaker Claude is that Barry didn't want to talk about.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:42:18 PM by Adam Abbas »

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 09:13:55 PM »
So cool that Weiss shouted out Brent Jordan, he's amazing - looped the cradle at Vanderhooft. I've been on a session with him before as well. Very nice guy. Psyched they gave a shout to Mike McDermott as well.

Edit: Also wondering what the deal with that filmmaker Claude is that Barry didn't want to talk about.

It has to do with young boys and is pretty fucked up

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Jutra

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 05:35:05 AM »
Joe Buffalo mentioning bong in a "residential school" made me sad, not shocking, but puts the reality in perspective.
Thank you for this grosso.

gaunt

• Rep: 104
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 05:43:33 AM »
Joe Buffalo mentioning bong in a "residential school" made me sad, not shocking, but puts the reality in perspective.
Glad I wasn't the only one this stuck out to. When I was living in Canada, I learned that South Africa largely modeled its system of apartheid after Canada's model towards First Nations indigenous peoples (reservations, residential schools, etc).  One of my friends had an abusive father who went through res schooling and the stories I heard were horrifying of the treatment he received
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 05:45:28 AM by gaunt »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 06:32:19 AM »
 Heads up; dont bring up res school shit to native people.  They shoulda showed J Buffalos Indy ad.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 07:29:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Glad I wasn't the only one this stuck out to. When I was living in Canada, I learned that South Africa largely modeled its system of apartheid after Canada's model towards First Nations indigenous peoples (reservations, residential schools, etc).  One of my friends had an abusive father who went through res schooling and the stories I heard were horrifying of the treatment he received
the older I get, the more I recognize how badly we have treated our indigenous population. Its fucking terrible.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 08:44:22 AM »

alberta has them too.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 09:59:23 AM »
incredible episode…and Weiss’ comments about Appleyard towards the end seem right.

in addition to a small handful of us who lived in Detroit, some of the original skaters to consistently skate street in the city of Detroit, decades ago, were Sam Mihai and Jamie Jeffery (apologies if i’m spelling names wrong) and their friends from across the river in Windsor, Ontario--they used to always take the bus over through the tunnel if i remember correctly and skate downtown Detroit all of the time (back when it was fairly deserted and ours the majority of the time), and any history of Detroit skateboarding is incomplete if it doesn’t include them…

getdatshrimp

• Rep: 11
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 10:14:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
the older I get, the more I recognize how badly we have treated our indigenous population. Its fucking terrible.

I remember getting the premium '' Un-fazed'' video with him having a part.   I was super exited seeing a native dude being marketed as a native dude.  I grew up in a small mill town, lots of subtle racism and not so subtle.  Anyway, not going to de-rail this into another stupid race thread.  Just; that he did inspire me to not feel whack, like I was doin white boy shit like the rez cousins told me.   Now my small town has almost more native skaters than any other demographic.  I must trek back to my homeland to skate with the cousins I must.   

Stoked Josh Evin was brought up too, watching him skate in person was nerve racking.  He was a fucking rocket. 

That was way more informative than I thought it would be.   I like the more fleshed out and developed  direction love letters is going.

Edit; R>I>P Josh Evin.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:17:04 AM by getdatshrimp »

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 11:18:45 AM »
Pretty fun to watch. It's insane how even in 40 mins, there's nowhere close to the amount of time you'd need to really get into it.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 11:55:52 AM »
mike christie the goat tho

doyle

• Rep: 213
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 12:05:30 PM »
Pretty fun to watch. It's insane how even in 40 mins, there's nowhere close to the amount of time you'd need to really get into it.

They made great choices of what to include, but yeah, nothing on the prairies/maritimes touched on. Really enjoyed it, though.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2548
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 12:17:15 PM »
Ok, which one of yous wore a Slap shirt at Dufferin Grove today?
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2248
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »
nothing on the prairies

I'm smack dab in the middle of the prairies and have been skating since 94 and probably wouldn't include anything from here in a 40 minute spot on Canadian skateboarding. Love it here but don't think we've made too significant of an impact.

We do have Hawkins Cheezies though. Sounds fucked up but throw a smoked oyster on a couple with a dab of hot sauce oooooh baby you're livin!

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 05:34:15 PM »
Expand Quote
nothing on the prairies
[close]

I'm smack dab in the middle of the prairies and have been skating since 94 and probably wouldn't include anything from here in a 40 minute spot on Canadian skateboarding. Love it here but don't think we've made too significant of an impact.

We do have Hawkins Cheezies though. Sounds fucked up but throw a smoked oyster on a couple with a dab of hot sauce oooooh baby you're livin!

fuck that, doyle is right, they kinda blew it there.
SK8 Skates had the longest running contest in canada year after year, winnipeg had 5 foot 12 videos which took over after Skate Canada, Jason Crolly, etc..

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 06:00:53 PM »
That was great. Of course there's always gonna be more people/scenes they could've included but I thought they did a pretty good job. It was great to see Michelle from Antisocial getting the recognition she more than deserves.

Glurmpz

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 10:26:53 PM »
As someone who spends a lot of time in the US, the fact that this didn't perpetuate the "living in igloos" stereotype is a win. So many Americans know literally nothing about Canada, and think Canadian skaters are all ghetto gown Red Dragons.

Still, considering they had Greg Baller's photos in there, it's too bad the maritimes and a few other areas weren't touched on. At the same time, not really sure what they'd have to talk about. All the significant stuff went down in the major cities they focussed on.

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 07:37:55 AM »

we all know we're on here in some form.

also posting this here for good measure.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 09:54:40 PM »
incredible episode…and Weiss’ comments about Appleyard towards the end seem right.

in addition to a small handful of us who lived in Detroit, some of the original skaters to consistently skate street in the city of Detroit, decades ago, were Sam Mihai and Jamie Jeffery (apologies if i’m spelling names wrong) and their friends from across the river in Windsor, Ontario--they used to always take the bus over through the tunnel if i remember correctly and skate downtown Detroit all of the time (back when it was fairly deserted and ours the majority of the time), and any history of Detroit skateboarding is incomplete if it doesn’t include them…

might you be referring to jamie jonny? i tried to find some old coverage or a pic, he was from hamilton, close friend of appleyard

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 11:54:41 PM »
Didn't have any &&.....

doyle

• Rep: 213
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 06:59:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

might you be referring to jamie jonny? i tried to find some old coverage or a pic, he was from hamilton, close friend of appleyard

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2019, 12:21:01 PM »
You can buy Hawkins Cheezies in like every store on the east coast.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 07:04:55 PM »
Overrated.....it's like the CBC of snacks....

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2019, 08:19:46 PM »

pretty sure I spotted a slap 5 panel at union station a few months back. Really threw me off. I'd wear mine but it's more faded and salty than drehobl's nutsack

Plop

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2019, 09:14:08 PM »
feel like there could have been more talk of Toronto/Blue Tile Lounge history. Did Morgan even have a clip in this?