Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246528 times)

DannyDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2019, 03:52:13 PM »
Does Suciu have a mathematics degree or what?
Pretty sure he focused on design considering he went to Parsons after temple. Although, a lot of what he talks about is obviously applicable to concepts in design.

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2019, 03:59:21 PM »
Absolutely looking forward to this. Hopefully when his career is over, he'll open The Mark Suciu Center for Skaters Who Can't Read Good and Who Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2019, 04:09:48 PM »
5 pages and no video

there is no video. It's  a conceptual work and mark decided that there no point in doing these lines he talks about because he already imagined them; as he wants you to imagine them.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2019, 04:11:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Pretty sure he focused on design considering he went to Parsons after temple. Although, a lot of what he talks about is obviously applicable to concepts in design.

He went to The New School after Temple and studied creative writing and literature.  https://www.northskatemag.com/new-blog/mark-suciu-interview

Max Palmer and Cyrus went to Pratt: http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/05/31/a-skateboarders-guide-to-colleges/

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2019, 04:14:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

He went to The New School after Temple and studied creative writing and literature.  https://www.northskatemag.com/new-blog/mark-suciu-interview

Max Palmer and Cyrus went to Pratt: http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/05/31/a-skateboarders-guide-to-colleges/
True, I saw he did Parsons Paris, which is an extension of the New School. Parsons is the design school associated with The New School.

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2019, 04:14:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Oh no!
More skaters with an education.
That’s really bad and quite pretentious.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »
I bet there's a shit ton of people on here wth degrees too....

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2019, 04:20:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That 3 paragraph preface to a fucking video part is embarrassing...I can't believe someone had that printed out at displayed. That said this part should be good and I'm looking forward to it.
[close]

If you think writing about skateboarding is embarrassing I hope you thinking filming skateboarding is utterly mortifying.

Pretty funny how shook people are about someone actually thinking about and planning their video part and then writing less than a page describing the process behind it.

Pretentious? Homie is one of the top pros in the game and he premiered it at his local skate shop.
[close]

It's the presentation that's pretentious. That design is intended to resemble an art exhibition. Every good skater 'actually thinks about and plans their video part' and won't write anything about it not because they can't, but because the point is letting the skating do the talking. Which Suciu's definitely can.

I'm interested in this though, I'm interested in Suciu's skating. But the whole pseudo-intellectual persona he's trying to pull has been making me cringe lately (and I've been patient for years to see how far he would take it). Only in skateboarding can one think they've reached the greatest echelon of humanity for going to college.

I like the idea of breaking the norm of skate video screenings and exploring different possibilities in presentation, too, why the fuck not. But as an aesthetic, this is easy and cheap in addition to not making much sense (besides aligning with a marketing gimmick). Ah well I guess the shop guys had fun with it.
[close]

whose fault is that?
[close]

also, it's just plain awesome to know skaters like Suciu and Alexis (whose MIT brag points outweigh Suciu's) (and others) can do both college and the professional skate path.  yea sure, for those who have gone to college or are autodidacts in subjects, Suciu's opinions may seem pretty vanilla when compared to the average student, but that's just it, it's not as common within skateboarding.  also, as Kyle Beachy once admitted on the Vent (which took guts to admit), I think a lot of high-educated skateboarders feel a bit threatened when other skateboarders (especially those who are "better" at skateboarding) are well educated

This dude is such a kook. Forcing yourself onto skateboarding through your intellect because your skills were never remarkable enough in their own right.
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

Rick_Kane

« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2019, 04:25:04 PM »
2 beirut songs, jesus what a candy ass. IM TRYINA GET FIRED UP BEFORE A SKATE SESH, NOT REORGANIZE MY BEARD OIL COLLECTION

Is this true? LOL fuck Mark Suciu

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2019, 04:29:43 PM »
2 beirut songs, jesus what a candy ass. IM TRYINA GET FIRED UP BEFORE A SKATE SESH, NOT REORGANIZE MY BEARD OIL COLLECTION

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2019, 04:51:27 PM »
Where is the VIDEO?

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2019, 05:23:14 PM »
Lol at people reading this whole thread thinking the video will be here somewhere.

epic post SneakySecrets

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2019, 06:05:39 PM »
beirut? fucking hell. this isn't 2009 where the only way we ever listen to beirut is on mute and its to farm fraudulent listens on last.fm to impress some girl in sweden

Rick_Kane

« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2019, 06:17:18 PM »
beirut? fucking hell. this isn't 2009 where the only way we ever listen to beirut is on mute and its to farm fraudulent listens on last.fm to impress some girl in sweden

Haha. Nailed it.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2019, 06:43:10 PM »
5 pages and no video

Aug 2 on Thrasher

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2019, 07:05:46 PM »
Expand Quote
5 pages and no video
[close]

there is no video. It's  a conceptual work and mark decided that there no point in doing these lines he talks about because he already imagined them; as he wants you to imagine them.

Shalom

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2019, 08:33:47 PM »
honey island is slap's resident cool guy

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2019, 09:06:41 PM »
honey island is slap's resident cool guy

now if nik stain skated to beirut on the other hand

huggs

• Rep: -16
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »
5 pages and no video

drop is still 10 days out so i'll take the over on a dozen pages

Syhr

• Rep: 11
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2019, 02:25:56 AM »

I've got a First Class Honours degree in Computer Science, but I do Crook Shoves so Mark Suciu won't like me

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2019, 04:59:31 AM »
Studying something because you’re interested in it should be encouraged. Studying shit because it’s lucrative is what is poisoning our world. I’m glad Suciu studied literature over some trade school plumbing bullshit. He’s already made it, who fucking cares?

I wish I had skate homies like Mark. I’ve fallen off as I’ve gotten older because having a beer with a skate rat not interested in anything but skateboarding isn’t all that fucking interesting.

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2019, 05:30:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've got a First Class Honours degree in Computer Science, but I do Crook Shoves so Mark Suciu won't like me

Go shove your NP Complete degree up your Finite State Automata.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2019, 06:37:38 AM »
This thread just reminded me that I hate Beirut almost as much as Mumford & Sons...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2019, 06:39:53 AM »
I have a pretentious degree from a pretentious school but I have lost the ability to be eloquent thanks to the internet and shit.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Dirty Douggie

• Rep: 11
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2019, 06:48:29 AM »
That symetry argument is just another excuse for him to tell us once more about how we went to college tu study French literature.

You don't have to refer to verse patterns to explain mirror lines to skateboarders. Ask Creager or Arto.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1170
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2019, 06:49:02 AM »
I have a pretentious degree from a pretentious school but I have lost the ability to be eloquent thanks to the internet and shit.

you get an A+ on your sig, and shit
hardly art, hardly starving

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2019, 06:57:17 AM »
Studying something because you’re interested in it should be encouraged. Studying shit because it’s lucrative is what is poisoning our world. I’m glad Suciu studied literature over some trade school plumbing bullshit. He’s already made it, who fucking cares?

I wish I had skate homies like Mark. I’ve fallen off as I’ve gotten older because having a beer with a skate rat not interested in anything but skateboarding isn’t all that fucking interesting.

This. I've definitely met plenty of great people through skating, but so many skaters are idiots that I can't really stand to be around if we're not skating.

Anyways, I'm hyped for this and I hope he chose Beirut songs that aren't too ~sentimental~

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2019, 07:25:14 AM »
Reminder that studying litterature in college is the real life equivalent of dropping out of high school.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2019, 07:46:20 AM »
    I think Bobby d shits on him.  Thats happening.  Its crazy considering how amazing Suciu is.  My favorite Suciu was when he was a kid.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

COMMUNITYPACK

• Rep: 51
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2019, 07:46:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This. I've definitely met plenty of great people through skating, but so many skaters are idiots that I can't really stand to be around if we're not skating.

Anyways, I'm hyped for this and I hope he chose Beirut songs that aren't too ~sentimental~

Guys, there's a world, a real world, where you could work a trade, or construction, or in a bar, or for FedEx, or at HomeDepot, or be a doctor or a McDonalds cashier, AND still like reading literature. Hell, you might even try and write something sometimes.

You can be a regular Joe who's capable of smart thinking and good conversation.

But maybe don't expect a 19 year old skate rat with no life experience to be someone you want to chat breeze with.

Getting a degree in America is insane. Learning is to be admired, especially learning more about what interests and matters to you, but paying enough money to buy a small house for that privilege is plain stupid. You do it because you can, or your parents can, but there's no way you should.

I'm all for degrees, I have one and I'd quite like to do a masters one day, but I recognize that being a plumber is probably a smarter move. For me and for the rest of humanity.

Now going to business school with the aim to be a pharmaceutical CEO on the other hand...