Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246423 times)

GeorgeCostanza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2019, 08:10:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did he name his part after the publishing house?
[close]

[close]

might be the most intelligent video part ever made

I take it you haven't seen Sinner's "Theatrix" part?
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

euro tm

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2019, 08:11:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

might be the most intelligent video part ever made
[close]

I take it you haven't seen Sinner's "Theatrix" part?

i stand corrected

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2019, 08:31:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

this was my exact, literal reaction upon reading that

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2019, 08:41:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skateboarding belongs somewhere in between here and CKY

Probably more towards Bam tho

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2019, 09:17:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Focus your account.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2019, 11:56:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Focus your account.

please don't I actually think you're entirely correct
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 12:15:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly one the most pretentious things I've ever seen. Ridiculous.

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2019, 12:16:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Honestly one the most pretentious things I've ever seen. Ridiculous.

Utterly ridiculous and I love it

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2019, 12:40:01 AM »
I can’t wait for him to come out with a part where his pushes are timed to be in iambic pentameter

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2019, 12:44:01 AM »
I can’t wait for him to come out with a part where his pushes are timed to be in iambic pentameter

To push or not to push, that is the question

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2019, 06:47:00 AM »
I dont know, it sounds a bit pretentious but i like that approach for a change. I hope this means he also put a lot of thought into the spot selection.

so, anybody know when this will be uploaded?

Statebird

• Rep: 46
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2019, 07:00:54 AM »
seemed like alot of usa travels filming for this, excited to see what spots he hit

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2019, 07:01:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Focus your account.
[close]

please don't I actually think you're entirely correct

Saying what skateboarding should be is ridiculous. Don’t like Suciu’s approach then don’t watch. But since you will watch just shut up and enjoy.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

enrgydrnkr

• Rep: 25
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2019, 07:03:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Praying that back 5-0 back 180 out made it onto his trick list

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2563
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2019, 07:13:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ah, cheers for that
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2019, 07:34:39 AM »
That 3 paragraph preface to a fucking video part is embarrassing...I can't believe someone had that printed out at displayed. That said this part should be good and I'm looking forward to it.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2019, 07:40:48 AM »
Opening line
Tre flip nose grind, frontside flip, switch tre nose grind, switch frontside flip,  switch heel, half cab flip 5-0, nollie backside flip fakie 5-0, fakie flip, switch flip.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2019, 07:49:38 AM »
Much respect for Suciu and his approach. Looking forward to seeing this.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2019, 08:41:06 AM »
Is it hitting the net?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

thebacker

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »
Opening line
Tre flip nose grind, frontside flip, switch tre nose grind, switch frontside flip,  switch heel, half cab flip 5-0, nollie backside flip fakie 5-0, fakie flip, switch flip.

bruh

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2019, 08:48:06 AM »
Much respect for Suciu and his approach. Looking forward to seeing this.

Touché.

Some people are so narrow minded.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2019, 09:06:42 AM »
That 3 paragraph preface to a fucking video part is embarrassing...I can't believe someone had that printed out at displayed. That said this part should be good and I'm looking forward to it.

If you think writing about skateboarding is embarrassing I hope you thinking filming skateboarding is utterly mortifying.

Pretty funny how shook people are about someone actually thinking about and planning their video part and then writing less than a page describing the process behind it.

Pretentious? Homie is one of the top pros in the game and he premiered it at his local skate shop.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2019, 09:16:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you think writing about skateboarding is embarrassing I hope you thinking filming skateboarding is utterly mortifying.

Pretty funny how shook people are about someone actually thinking about and planning their video part and then writing less than a page describing the process behind it.

Pretentious? Homie is one of the top pros in the game and he premiered it at his local skate shop.
You're talking to people that haven't read a book in years if ever. These three paragraphs might as well be Infinite Jest.

Suciu is a gift to skateboarding.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2019, 09:28:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's the presentation that's pretentious. That design is intended to resemble an art exhibition. Every good skater 'actually thinks about and plans their video part' and won't write anything about it not because they can't, but because the point is letting the skating do the talking. Which Suciu's definitely can.

I'm interested in this though, I'm interested in Suciu's skating. But the whole pseudo-intellectual persona he's trying to pull has been making me cringe lately (and I've been patient for years to see how far he would take it). Only in skateboarding can one think they've reached the greatest echelon of humanity for going to college.

I like the idea of breaking the norm of skate video screenings and exploring different possibilities in presentation, too, why the fuck not. But as an aesthetic, this is easy and cheap in addition to not making much sense (besides aligning with a marketing gimmick). Ah well I guess the shop guys had fun with it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:30:05 AM by silhouette »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2019, 09:29:49 AM »
I’ll take back the “probably more towards Bam” part. There’s room for skateboarding to be both as dumb as a CKY video and as thought out as a Suciu part.

Suciu is top 3 favorite current skaters and might be my 2019 SOTY pick, I can’t wait for this shit, even if that Verso statement comes off as taking himself too seriously.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2019, 09:35:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's the presentation that's pretentious. That design is intended to resemble an art exhibition. Every good skater 'actually thinks about and plans their video part' and won't write anything about it not because they can't, but because the point is letting the skating do the talking. Which Suciu's definitely can.

I'm interested in this though, I'm interested in Suciu's skating. But the whole pseudo-intellectual persona he's trying to pull has been making me cringe lately (and I've been patient for years to see how far he would take it). Only in skateboarding can one think they've reached the greatest echelon of humanity for going to college.

I like the idea of breaking the norm of skate video screenings and exploring different possibilities in presentation, too, why the fuck not. But as an aesthetic, this is easy and cheap in addition to not making much sense (besides aligning with a marketing gimmick). Ah well I guess the shop guys had fun with it.

He definitely reeks of “I went to college” and some of the stuff he does makes me cringe (Jenkem content if I recall correctly) but given that probably 1% of pros actually pursue higher education, more power to him I say, and he’s still young and learning. I’d take a dozen Suciu’s for every single Andy Roy.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2019, 09:36:45 AM »
Also I completely disagree that every good skater thinks and plans their video part. You think Gonz or Penny ever planned...anything?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2019, 09:54:06 AM »
Also I completely disagree that every good skater thinks and plans their video part. You think Gonz or Penny ever planned...anything?

Yeah that's true, I spoke a bit too quickly but thinking about it, the skaters you bring up could also be seen as actual exceptions that actually stood out for actually not needing to think and plan their skating for it to be so valuable. They just had so much raw talent that literally everything they would do at their peak was so undeniable they basically wrote chapters of the book for others to follow. One doesn't need to be a historically revolutionary skater to belong to that kind either, naturally talented skaters are everywhere and always will be throughout time I'll give you that.

But for one natural skater, how many of them are working men who actually think their respective aesthetics through and put conscious work into how they would like their skating to look or be presented? I could raise you the names of Henry Sanchez, Puleo, Oyola and tons more in the mid to late 90's (subsequently to the era you are referring to, interestingly) or pros from as far back in the 80's or even the popularly ridiculed - in terms of general aesthetics - BPSW epoch who still obsessively cared about how their craft was portrayed, yet never built such an altar to themselves.

But regardless of Suciu's persona and this presentation being a caricature, it's one I can actually take too because it's always a more positive influence than hellride everything I guess. But equating actual intelligence and education to given looks and commercial presentations is also pretty scary to me in general.

Also, now playing the devil's advocate: I wouldn't be so certain that none of Gonz's shit was ever calculated.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:58:09 AM by silhouette »

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2019, 09:58:48 AM »

No but look at Reynolds part in stay gold.

I don’t think suciu is taking himself too seriously. He’s just educated, and trying to mix the two things he loves. I’m just glad he’s not wasting his talent.

thebunsman69

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
You're talking to people that haven't read a book in years if ever. These three paragraphs might as well be Infinite Jest.

Suciu is a gift to skateboarding.

LOL. Your dig at those who don't read is to reference Infinite Jest?