Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246413 times)

Utopos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2019, 10:09:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Also I completely disagree that every good skater thinks and plans their video part. You think Gonz or Penny ever planned...anything?
[close]

No but look at Reynolds part in stay gold.

I don’t think suciu is taking himself too seriously. He’s just educated, and trying to mix the two things he loves. I’m just glad he’s not wasting his talent.
Even if he is pulling the "I went to college card" (I don't really see it) I would take that every day over Evan Smith's "WOKE" bit.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2019, 10:29:44 AM »
Really who cares if tricks are planned or not.
Writing shit down is a mental trick.
It’s good for your brain.
Good for memory.
Good for your confidence.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2019, 10:29:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Also I completely disagree that every good skater thinks and plans their video part. You think Gonz or Penny ever planned...anything?
[close]

Yeah that's true, I spoke a bit too quickly but thinking about it, the skaters you bring up could also be seen as actual exceptions that actually stood out for actually not needing to think and plan their skating for it to be so valuable. They just had so much raw talent that literally everything they would do at their peak was so undeniable they basically wrote chapters of the book for others to follow. One doesn't need to be a historically revolutionary skater to belong to that kind either, naturally talented skaters are everywhere and always will be throughout time I'll give you that.

But for one natural skater, how many of them are working men who actually think their respective aesthetics through and put conscious work into how they would like their skating to look or be presented? I could raise you the names of Henry Sanchez, Puleo, Oyola and tons more in the mid to late 90's (subsequently to the era you are referring to, interestingly) or pros from as far back in the 80's or even the popularly ridiculed - in terms of general aesthetics - BPSW epoch who still obsessively cared about how their craft was portrayed, yet never built such an altar to themselves.

But regardless of Suciu's persona and this presentation being a caricature, it's one I can actually take too because it's always a more positive influence than hellride everything I guess. But equating actual intelligence and education to given looks and commercial presentations is also pretty scary to me in general.

Also, now playing the devil's advocate: I wouldn't be so certain that none of Gonz's shit was ever calculated.

I’m definitely not gonna argue that plenty of skaters plan their parts meticulously but I’d say an equal amount just skate and get filmed and to use your words, let their skating do the talking.

Also fully agree on equating intelligence/education as being scary.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 10:32:15 AM by mattchew »
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1287
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2019, 10:39:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That 3 paragraph preface to a fucking video part is embarrassing...I can't believe someone had that printed out at displayed. That said this part should be good and I'm looking forward to it.
[close]

If you think writing about skateboarding is embarrassing I hope you thinking filming skateboarding is utterly mortifying.

Pretty funny how shook people are about someone actually thinking about and planning their video part and then writing less than a page describing the process behind it.

Pretentious? Homie is one of the top pros in the game and he premiered it at his local skate shop.
[close]
You're talking to people that haven't read a book in years if ever. These three paragraphs might as well be Infinite Jest.

Suciu is a gift to skateboarding.
[close]

LOL. Your dig at those who don't read is to reference Infinite Jest?
I brought up IJ because it's infamous for being a long ass book with novel length footnotes attached to the novel itself. It was a poke at how long 3 paragraphs feel to people who don't read. Also, yes referencing a book to jab at people who don't read books is usually how shittalking works. I'll reach for the more obscure next time. Thanks for responding.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 10:42:54 AM by camel filters »

stephop180

• Rep: -2
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2019, 11:00:31 AM »
Plenty of people plan their parts and if they don't it's not like when they go to a spot they don't know if they already filmed a similar trick at a similar spot. You don't think Worrest knows the lines he's done at Pulaski lol

thebunsman69

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2019, 11:13:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That 3 paragraph preface to a fucking video part is embarrassing...I can't believe someone had that printed out at displayed. That said this part should be good and I'm looking forward to it.
[close]

If you think writing about skateboarding is embarrassing I hope you thinking filming skateboarding is utterly mortifying.

Pretty funny how shook people are about someone actually thinking about and planning their video part and then writing less than a page describing the process behind it.

Pretentious? Homie is one of the top pros in the game and he premiered it at his local skate shop.
[close]
You're talking to people that haven't read a book in years if ever. These three paragraphs might as well be Infinite Jest.

[close]

[close]
I brought up IJ because it's infamous for being a long ass book with novel length footnotes attached to the novel itself. It was a poke at how long 3 paragraphs feel to people who don't read. Also, yes referencing a book to jab at people who don't read books is usually how shittalking works. I'll reach for the more obscure next time. Thanks for responding.

Thanks for taking me to school, teach!

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2019, 11:17:51 AM »
Plenty of people plan their parts and if they don't it's not like when they go to a spot they don't know if they already filmed a similar trick at a similar spot. You don't think Worrest knows the lines he's done at Pulaski lol

I’d bet my life Worrest has improvised tons of his shit at Pulaski. Not a chance he sat down and planned each one of those lines—you can tell and that’s a part of what makes his skating so sick.

thebacker

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2019, 11:19:58 AM »
yall really are buggin about a few paragraphs

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2019, 11:21:01 AM »

Yes how embarrassing says a guy on a skateboard forum where there’s a post yourself skating section that has people describing the clips they post

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2019, 11:22:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Don't fucking brown nose me. Your thousand page report on the Terry Kennedy of Baker thread is due tomorrow. Get to work.  Double spaced. It better be a banger.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’d bet my life Worrest has improvised tons of his shit at Pulaski. Not a chance he sat down and planned each one of those lines—you can tell and that’s a part of what makes his skating so sick.

I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say 95%
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2019, 11:29:40 AM »
Maybe if Suciu sized down the paragraphs to tiny letters and printed it over a red bull logo hat, people here can just chalk it up to "he's getting that bread, whatever pays" and he'll get a pass.

ArtVandelay

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2019, 11:41:36 AM »
Suciu so good he has to spend time thinking and planning tricks that will be a challenge for him. Took  him the entire 10 hour plane ride to think of seven lines

stephop180

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2019, 12:11:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you try a line more than one time... The second time on is a plan... Whether you thought of it that day or a month ahead.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 12:14:21 PM by stephop180 »

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2019, 12:24:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Don't fucking brown nose me. Your thousand page report on the Terry Kennedy of Baker thread is due tomorrow. Get to work.  Double spaced. It better be a banger.

I hope this has to be written in Chicago Style.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah pretentious is a good word to describe it, or just overkill. This isn't a school project this is fucking skateboarding. Theres nothing wrong with thinking about skating and planning out tricks or even a part but the act of not only writing down a preface to video part and then having it blown up and hung in a skate shop is a bit over the top. What is this an autobiography? Dudes not even 30 yet. And where else would be premier it? No one is renting out a theater for a 4-5 minute video part hahaha.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2019, 12:53:31 PM »
So now skate video nerds are complaining about a pro taking his video part seriously? I understand his eloquence is challenging our stereotypes but who does not like symmetrical lines?

I am just glad there is someone out there who can actually try and film their mental lines, because mine are beautiful and symmetrical but I could never fucking do them.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
If you try a line more than one time... The second time on is a plan... Whether you thought of it that day or a month ahead.

I think/hope you know that there’s a mammoth difference between planning out specific lines months in advance and trying a line a couple different times.

weregoingunion

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2019, 12:59:18 PM »
suciu was jumping up and down during his part more than the crowd at the premier, haha.

part was fucked though.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2019, 01:16:06 PM »
Well at least this preface doesn't scroll down by itself way too obnoxiously fast for comprehension and therefore, steals the thunder of G-Mos' Opinion preface.

ballintoohard

« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2019, 01:17:14 PM »
The cool think about skateboarding is if you don't like something you can just not watch or pay attention to it and go watch the stuff you do like.

germy rogirs

• Rep: -14
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2019, 01:21:22 PM »
so whens this shit released online?  This thread needs saving

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2019, 01:53:24 PM »
props suciu for not being a retart, it's nice to see people's love for skating manifest itself in a serious manner.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2019, 02:28:42 PM »
props suciu for not being a retart, it's nice to see people's love for skating manifest itself in a serious manner.
\
When you tart the first time and it doesn't work out, you have to tart again.

conqueso

« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2019, 03:07:46 PM »
the poetry is sick and all but does he do any of those cool powerslide landings?

Kekumba

• Rep: 0
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2019, 03:23:21 PM »

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »
The cool think about skateboarding is if you don't like something you can just not watch or pay attention to it and go watch the stuff you do like.

Honestly this is the dumbest take ever. Passing judgement on the behavior of others is the fundamental activity of all society, from the federal legislative body all the way down to some random guy on the street saying "nah fuck that." Everything at some point has to be able to withstand some heat, so there's no point in telling people not to bring it.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2019, 04:12:55 PM »
I’ll take back the “probably more towards Bam” part. There’s room for skateboarding to be both as dumb as a CKY video and as thought out as a Suciu part.

Suciu is top 3 favorite current skaters and might be my 2019 SOTY pick, I can’t wait for this shit, even if that Verso statement comes off as taking himself too seriously.

coward
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 425
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2019, 04:29:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Friday August 2nd on Thrasher

Irvine-Sucks.com

stephop180

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I think/hope you know that there’s a mammoth difference between planning out specific lines months in advance and trying a line a couple different times.

and you should also know that line ledge type skaters like Bobby know what lines they have already done so they don't repeat them in parts because that would be dumb..thus they plan out their lines so they aren't repetitive

and yeah he never thought about lines...just says this in an interview

I’ve always loved your Krooked Kronicles part. How was that to make after all those years putting out little homie vids? Had to be pretty insane, man.

That part is just so young, man. You really have to look at it through the parts I liked growing up. Because at that time, it was all about guys like Koston, PJ Ladd and P-Rod. Pushing the limits of technical street skating. The type of skating where you’re constantly trying to get the best fucking tricks you can possibly get. Not that style wasn’t as much a part of it, because it always is, but you couldn’t be out there filming basic tricks on flat with an ollie over a fire hydrant for a line. You had to be doing really hard tricks, first. That was the era, trying to break the mold with all-new shit.

So for me, as Bobby Worrest, I want to get on that same level as Paul Rodriguez. What do I gotta do? Backside noseblunt this, kickflip backtail that… film lines that take 3 fucking days to do. But that’s what skateboarding was back then.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:39:01 PM by stephop180 »