Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246732 times)

fongool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2019, 05:44:32 PM »
seems like Bobby(& others) might have the first few tricks in a line thought out and then improvise after that

I mean, he has a line at Pulaski where you can hear him tell the filmer where he's going(up the 3) -- pretty clear he was making that up as he went

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2019, 06:16:08 PM »
Also I completely disagree that every good skater thinks and plans their video part. You think Gonz or Penny ever planned...anything?
    Sure I would think that the Gonz would plan stuff.  He planned most of his Blind part.  He had a list for that part.  Tom Penny may not have planned anything tho.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ballintoohard

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2019, 07:09:35 PM »
Expand Quote
The cool think about skateboarding is if you don't like something you can just not watch or pay attention to it and go watch the stuff you do like.
[close]

Honestly this is the dumbest take ever. Passing judgement on the behavior of others is the fundamental activity of all society, from the federal legislative body all the way down to some random guy on the street saying "nah fuck that." Everything at some point has to be able to withstand some heat, so there's no point in telling people not to bring it.

Yes, laws that restrict liberties are the same as some dude riding a skateboard in his preferred manner.

It's fine to not like it, but doing so because Mark is too smarty is pretty fucking stupid considering how many videos exist to glorify a skater's take on whatever they're doing. If that wasn't on the wall and was a voice over 90% less people would care in this thread.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2019, 07:17:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Plenty of people plan their parts and if they don't it's not like when they go to a spot they don't know if they already filmed a similar trick at a similar spot. You don't think Worrest knows the lines he's done at Pulaski lol
[close]

I’d bet my life Worrest has improvised tons of his shit at Pulaski. Not a chance he sat down and planned each one of those lines—you can tell and that’s a part of what makes his skating so sick.
[close]
If you try a line more than one time... The second time on is a plan... Whether you thought of it that day or a month ahead.
[close]

I think/hope you know that there’s a mammoth difference between planning out specific lines months in advance and trying a line a couple different times.
[close]

and you should also know that line ledge type skaters like Bobby know what lines they have already done so they don't repeat them in parts because that would be dumb..thus they plan out their lines so they aren't repetitive

and yeah he never thought about lines...just says this in an interview

I’ve always loved your Krooked Kronicles part. How was that to make after all those years putting out little homie vids? Had to be pretty insane, man.

That part is just so young, man. You really have to look at it through the parts I liked growing up. Because at that time, it was all about guys like Koston, PJ Ladd and P-Rod. Pushing the limits of technical street skating. The type of skating where you’re constantly trying to get the best fucking tricks you can possibly get. Not that style wasn’t as much a part of it, because it always is, but you couldn’t be out there filming basic tricks on flat with an ollie over a fire hydrant for a line. You had to be doing really hard tricks, first. That was the era, trying to break the mold with all-new shit.

So for me, as Bobby Worrest, I want to get on that same level as Paul Rodriguez. What do I gotta do? Backside noseblunt this, kickflip backtail that… film lines that take 3 fucking days to do. But that’s what skateboarding was back then.

Gnar’d for that.

seems like Bobby(& others) might have the first few tricks in a line thought out and then improvise after that

I mean, he has a line at Pulaski where you can hear him tell the filmer where he's going(up the 3) -- pretty clear he was making that up as he went

But also this.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

BehindTheLens

• Rep: 0
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2019, 07:18:31 PM »
“At one point, Gary Rogers proclaimed that he was only there to masturbate to the masterpiece Mark and Justin created together. And then the lights grew dim and the video began.”

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/verso-premiere-at-atlas-skateshop/

Thrasher just posted an interview recently. Not going to lie, I’m stoked on seeing this part but the whole vibe is kinda weird.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:21:49 PM by BehindTheLens »

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2019, 07:20:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
so whens this shit released online?  This thread needs saving
[close]
[close]

Friday August 2nd on Thrasher

Eleven fuckin days? Bummer.
I saw on an IG story that he was trying to get one last trick and included footy of a near make, so hopefully that goes down in the mean time.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2019, 07:22:52 PM »
i look forward to his nine club where he tells us about how virginia woolf & hermann hesse inspired his latest skateboarding, while chris roberts just says "oh wow" over and over again.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2019, 07:36:31 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ll take back the “probably more towards Bam” part. There’s room for skateboarding to be both as dumb as a CKY video and as thought out as a Suciu part.

Suciu is top 3 favorite current skaters and might be my 2019 SOTY pick, I can’t wait for this shit, even if that Verso statement comes off as taking himself too seriously.
[close]

coward

Lmao I was drunk posting yesterday. I stand by the sentiment for the most part.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 10:34:26 PM by VHS ERA »

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2019, 02:04:31 AM »
There was a Greco interview where he revealed his method for his part was writing tricks down and when he filmed the name he’d write them on a piece of paper, make it into a ring, and build a paper chain he hung on his wall.   

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2019, 02:12:01 AM »
One of Suciu's biggest influences if you hear him interviewed is Pops, especially Mosiac-era Pops. Pops during that time was always really particular about his footage and what he put out. I'm pretty sure Tim O'Connor says in the Mosiac commentary that Pops had a decent amount of stuff taken out of his part because it didn't match the aesthetic he was going for.

Can't wait to see this part. I didn't think he could top Cross Continental, so anything close to that will probably end up being the part of the year.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2019, 03:32:44 AM »
There was a Greco interview where he revealed his method for his part was writing tricks down and when he filmed the name he’d write them on a piece of paper, make it into a ring, and build a paper chain he hung on his wall.

what interview is this? that's amazing
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2019, 05:49:59 AM »
Went to the premiere last night and this part is fucked up good. It's eleven minutes long, broken up by city or region, lots of long lines, lots of gnarly stuff, he skates to two Beirut songs, might be his best part yet (though I think it would have helped to split the part in two and have it bookend a full-ish video). I think there was a Euro/international section, a middle section I can't remember, a hefty New York section, and a final ledge line section.

SPOILERS:
There are a bunch of lines at Lloyds where he pops into and out of the ledges onto the inlaid stairs.
At the Milan train station, he does a line that starts with a switch tailslide pop-out over the stairs and ends with a switch flip back tail shove.
Plenty of hard-way stuff down rails and hubbas, I.E. cab back noseblunt to regular a hubba and frontside 180 switch backside 5-0 (I think, he had a few clips here) down the Rockaway rail. There was plenty of good, old-fashioned jumping, too - nollie frontside 360 D7 and switch 360 flip a big double set near Battery Park.
Fair amount of weird, quick-foot stuff I.E. on a cellar door that has two chains running perpendicular to the slope, he hops to the top section and pops down to each section.
Towards the end, some of the ledge tricks he does get super fucked up, and they're pretty much all in lines. Off the top of my head, I remember a switch backside flip to regular nosegrind back to switch, a nollie backside 180 switch backside nosegrind frontside half cab (at the ABC ledges), nollie front heel switch frontside nosegrind half cab, and a fakie flip switch frontside 5-0 switch backside 180 out.

Overall, it's a really gnarly and memorable part, I'm looking forward to watching it again and learning a little more about the thought process that went into all of those lines. He said it'll be live August 2nd.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Haha Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2019, 06:18:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don’t know if he ever said anything like this in print , but Grecs goes into detail about this in his Epicly Laterd episode.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2019, 06:28:38 AM »
I think it's fine he plans his parts as long as all the tricks look very good. If I wanted to see improv I'd look at his Instagram stories. Social media lets us see random skating 24/7 so it's nice to have some "longform" every once in a while where everything is a bit more considered and tight.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
Re: Haha Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2019, 07:49:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Don’t know if he ever said anything like this in print , but Grecs goes into detail about this in his Epicly Laterd episode.
I think he talks about it in this Skateboard Mag interview from right before Baker3 came out, might be in that issue with him doing a front board to drop.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1193
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2019, 08:13:37 AM »
Contrapposto

As opposed to antipasto, is a style of sculpture, meant to make me sound very thoughtful.  Since I graduated college in 2010, I have been living my life through skating shitty spots mainly behind grocery stores and posting dumb shit on slap messageboards.  I want to make posts that make people smile, laugh and chuckle, or “contrapposto”, if you will.

In late 2018, I was riding back from my shitty local park in my used pick-up truck, imagining up some dumb thread topics to post.  I kept visualizing titles, “How High Can You Ollie?”, “Supreme Sucks and is Overrated”.  I kept seeing parallels, repeating fractals, the Mandelbrot set repeating into infinity, the creation of the universe, life itself.  I was reading PM’s from Compliments4U and I realized this went beyond “shit posting” or “kookshit”, what I had were some of the dumbest thoughts on skateboarding the world had ever known.

For two years I have assembled unfunny jokes and slide mark critiques into a cohesive whole.  I’m looking forward to what everyone thinks about these.  I want to thank LandonPrimo, Complements4U, Armin Tanzarian, Buttface FartDick, Papo, and all the people that made this project what it is -and I think we really are there.

-SneakySecrets
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2019, 08:23:23 AM »
hes gotta do a part filmed entirely at ivy league schools

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2019, 08:23:54 AM »
Went to the premiere last night and this part is fucked up good. It's eleven minutes long, broken up by city or region, lots of long lines, lots of gnarly stuff, he skates to two Beirut songs, might be his best part yet (though I think it would have helped to split the part in two and have it bookend a full-ish video). I think there was a Euro/international section, a middle section I can't remember, a hefty New York section, and a final ledge line section.

SPOILERS:
There are a bunch of lines at Lloyds where he pops into and out of the ledges onto the inlaid stairs.
At the Milan train station, he does a line that starts with a switch tailslide pop-out over the stairs and ends with a switch flip back tail shove.
Plenty of hard-way stuff down rails and hubbas, I.E. cab back noseblunt to regular a hubba and frontside 180 switch backside 5-0 (I think, he had a few clips here) down the Rockaway rail. There was plenty of good, old-fashioned jumping, too - nollie frontside 360 D7 and switch 360 flip a big double set near Battery Park.
Fair amount of weird, quick-foot stuff I.E. on a cellar door that has two chains running perpendicular to the slope, he hops to the top section and pops down to each section.
Towards the end, some of the ledge tricks he does get super fucked up, and they're pretty much all in lines. Off the top of my head, I remember a switch backside flip to regular nosegrind back to switch, a nollie backside 180 switch backside nosegrind frontside half cab (at the ABC ledges), nollie front heel switch frontside nosegrind half cab, and a fakie flip switch frontside 5-0 switch backside 180 out.

Overall, it's a really gnarly and memorable part, I'm looking forward to watching it again and learning a little more about the thought process that went into all of those lines. He said it'll be live August 2nd.

i think i just had an aneurism

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

conqueso

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2019, 08:25:31 AM »
hes gotta do a part filmed entirely at ivy league schools

backing this

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2019, 08:39:07 AM »
Expand Quote

SPOILERS:

[close]

i think i just had an aneurism

Same. My body got physically uncomfortable just thinking about how awkward those tricks have to feel.

Reese

« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2019, 08:50:20 AM »
Contrapposto

As opposed to antipasto, is a style of sculpture, meant to make me sound very thoughtful.  Since I graduated college in 2010, I have been living my life through skating shitty spots mainly behind grocery stores and posting dumb shit on slap messageboards.  I want to make posts that make people smile, laugh and chuckle, or “contrapposto”, if you will.

In late 2018, I was riding back from my shitty local park in my used pick-up truck, imagining up some dumb thread topics to post.  I kept visualizing titles, “How High Can You Ollie?”, “Supreme Sucks and is Overrated”.  I kept seeing parallels, repeating fractals, the Mandelbrot set repeating into infinity, the creation of the universe, life itself.  I was reading PM’s from Compliments4U and I realized this went beyond “shit posting” or “kookshit”, what I had were some of the dumbest thoughts on skateboarding the world had ever known.

For two years I have assembled unfunny jokes and slide mark critiques into a cohesive whole.  I’m looking forward to what everyone thinks about these.  I want to thank LandonPrimo, Complements4U, Armin Tanzarian, Buttface FartDick, Papo, and all the people that made this project what it is -and I think we really are there.

-SneakySecrets
HiStoRic

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2019, 10:17:48 AM »
I can't wait to re-edit this part to 96 quite bitter beings

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2019, 10:27:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Contrapposto

-SneakySecrets
[close]
HiStoRic

Big ups sneaky.  You made my day a bit brighter, would make my sig but I can't subject everyone to the large format on every post.  But know it's definitely sig worthy.
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

quadcuff

• Rep: -6
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That 3 paragraph preface to a fucking video part is embarrassing...I can't believe someone had that printed out at displayed. That said this part should be good and I'm looking forward to it.
[close]

If you think writing about skateboarding is embarrassing I hope you thinking filming skateboarding is utterly mortifying.

Pretty funny how shook people are about someone actually thinking about and planning their video part and then writing less than a page describing the process behind it.

Pretentious? Homie is one of the top pros in the game and he premiered it at his local skate shop.
[close]

It's the presentation that's pretentious. That design is intended to resemble an art exhibition. Every good skater 'actually thinks about and plans their video part' and won't write anything about it not because they can't, but because the point is letting the skating do the talking. Which Suciu's definitely can.

I'm interested in this though, I'm interested in Suciu's skating. But the whole pseudo-intellectual persona he's trying to pull has been making me cringe lately (and I've been patient for years to see how far he would take it). Only in skateboarding can one think they've reached the greatest echelon of humanity for going to college.

I like the idea of breaking the norm of skate video screenings and exploring different possibilities in presentation, too, why the fuck not. But as an aesthetic, this is easy and cheap in addition to not making much sense (besides aligning with a marketing gimmick). Ah well I guess the shop guys had fun with it.

whose fault is that?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2019, 11:37:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That 3 paragraph preface to a fucking video part is embarrassing...I can't believe someone had that printed out at displayed. That said this part should be good and I'm looking forward to it.
[close]

If you think writing about skateboarding is embarrassing I hope you thinking filming skateboarding is utterly mortifying.

Pretty funny how shook people are about someone actually thinking about and planning their video part and then writing less than a page describing the process behind it.

Pretentious? Homie is one of the top pros in the game and he premiered it at his local skate shop.
[close]

It's the presentation that's pretentious. That design is intended to resemble an art exhibition. Every good skater 'actually thinks about and plans their video part' and won't write anything about it not because they can't, but because the point is letting the skating do the talking. Which Suciu's definitely can.

I'm interested in this though, I'm interested in Suciu's skating. But the whole pseudo-intellectual persona he's trying to pull has been making me cringe lately (and I've been patient for years to see how far he would take it). Only in skateboarding can one think they've reached the greatest echelon of humanity for going to college.

I like the idea of breaking the norm of skate video screenings and exploring different possibilities in presentation, too, why the fuck not. But as an aesthetic, this is easy and cheap in addition to not making much sense (besides aligning with a marketing gimmick). Ah well I guess the shop guys had fun with it.
[close]

whose fault is that?

also, it's just plain awesome to know skaters like Suciu and Alexis (whose MIT brag points outweigh Suciu's) (and others) can do both college and the professional skate path.  yea sure, for those who have gone to college or are autodidacts in subjects, Suciu's opinions may seem pretty vanilla when compared to the average student, but that's just it, it's not as common within skateboarding.  also, as Kyle Beachy once admitted on the Vent (which took guts to admit), I think a lot of high-educated skateboarders feel a bit threatened when other skateboarders (especially those who are "better" at skateboarding) are well educated
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:43:52 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2019, 11:51:22 AM »
Does Suciu have a mathematics degree or what?

thebacker

« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2019, 12:04:22 PM »
Please deliver

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2019, 03:08:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Please deliver

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2019, 03:32:54 PM »
2 beirut songs, jesus what a candy ass. IM TRYINA GET FIRED UP BEFORE A SKATE SESH, NOT REORGANIZE MY BEARD OIL COLLECTION

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2019, 03:44:21 PM »
5 pages and no video
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:46:53 PM by pointandclick »