Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246437 times)

Dark Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2019, 07:56:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Reminder that studying litterature in college is the real life equivalent of dropping out of high school.
[close]

There’s a lot of literature that could be considered litter so he’s not completely wrong.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2019, 08:02:02 AM »
Too much goddamned fancy pants talk here. I’m gonna go microwave a hot dog and watch some football.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2019, 08:22:28 AM »
Too much goddamned fancy pants talk here. I’m gonna go microwave a hot dog and watch some football.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2019, 08:30:23 AM »
Wish this wasn't advertised this early. I could have gone through life until august 2nd not knowing about it. Someone leak it I'll dm you a cock pic.

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2019, 08:34:25 AM »
Let’s not stray from the real issue here. Has he stopped wearing those skinny pants yet?

stephop180

• Rep: -2
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2019, 08:57:02 AM »
Life is a blast when you know what you're doin'
Best to know what you're doin' 'fore your life get ruined

Life is a thrill when your skill is developed
If you ain't got a skill or trade, then shut the hell up

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2019, 09:43:21 AM »
Hopefully he’ll get other super talented skaters thinking more seriously about making video parts that will last the test of time. It’s crazy how many good dudes there are these days but how few truly epic parts come out.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2019, 10:19:17 AM »
I have a middling degree from a middling (sort of literally) university and my dyslexia really makes my days wild.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »
Most of my friends have studied different aspects of culture (quite a few have studied literature). They generally work in well paying jobs in the private sector, in the public sector, or teaches at gymnasie level (Danish school system - it's something like the middle between high school and college, I think), and they are paid well better than people who are mechanics, painters, carpenters, chefs etcetera. The only issue for them is that there aren't that many jobs outside of the cities.

I'd recommend educating yourself in something you are interested in. If you do that, the chances of you excelling is the biggest - whether that's fixing cars, gardening, problematizing, teaching or whatever.

meadowsoprano

• Rep: -4
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2019, 03:44:16 PM »
Let’s not stray from the real issue here. Has he stopped wearing those skinny pants yet?

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2019, 04:27:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Facts, in cross continental his fits was ok....but nowadays dude looks like a lesbian.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2019, 01:54:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Facts, in cross continental his fits was ok....but nowadays dude looks like a lesbian.

I like his pants more nowadays..

Raw Selvedge Denim is great. And his pants fit like how a grown-ass mans pants should fit like. Baggy pants are a fad anyways..

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2019, 01:57:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 597
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2019, 01:59:04 AM »
i don't see so many skinny pants offense in his parts
what does looking like a lesbian mean ?
apart from swithflip being an idiot
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:14:35 AM by BALARGUE »

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2019, 03:47:13 AM »
6 pages eita caralha.

olympic sk8r

« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2019, 03:52:01 AM »
gentrification in skateboarder form

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1372
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2019, 05:37:24 AM »
Reminder that studying litterature in college is the real life equivalent of dropping out of high school.

Well, I received an English BA Hons. and it's a pretty versatile degree. Plus with globalization and widespread immigration, English is a valuable skill to have and a lot of people need to learn it. The demand is there.

But as far as an MFA in Creative Writing is concerned, that's a different story. When I was studying English I wanted to publish literature but didn't do an MFA. I eventually reached that goal; I had a poetry book published and it's in a few public libraries as well as my university library. But I was published partially due to the people I met in university. I didn't need an MFA, as many believe. I was actually concerned that an MFA would limit my career opportunities based on how specific it is. That's not always the case, but still.

I'll admit that during those days I should've looked for more career opportunities. What you do outside of university is just as important as what you do inside of it, and with broad subject like English/literature, it's important to meet people and build your resume.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 597
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2019, 06:20:52 AM »
not really
him being literate doesn't prevent illiterate people from skateboarding

it feels like it's the other way around sometimes in skateboarding.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 06:24:02 AM by BALARGUE »

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2019, 06:48:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
not really

what even is gentrification these days

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2019, 06:50:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well, I received an English BA Hons. and it's a pretty versatile degree. Plus with globalization and widespread immigration, English is a valuable skill to have and a lot of people need to learn it. The demand is there.

But as far as an MFA in Creative Writing is concerned, that's a different story. When I was studying English I wanted to publish literature but didn't do an MFA. I eventually reached that goal; I had a poetry book published and it's in a few public libraries as well as my university library. But I was published partially due to the people I met in university. I didn't need an MFA, as many believe. I was actually concerned that an MFA would limit my career opportunities based on how specific it is. That's not always the case, but still.

I'll admit that during those days I should've looked for more career opportunities. What you do outside of university is just as important as what you do inside of it, and with broad subject like English/literature, it's important to meet people and build your resume.

This is an interesting one. I have a PhD in English lit and work in academia (or aspire to, insert laugh-crying emoji here) so obviously I'm biased, but most English lit majors don't strike me as dropouts. At least here in China/Hong Kong (I've worked in both) it's a pretty brave choice which people usually make against the explicit discouragement of their parents, who want to see them do business or at least the 'hard' sciences, because the kids want to learn something that really interests them. This might be different in the US, admittedly.

As to job prospects, it is indeed not the smartest move, unless you want to stay in the university (in which case, it's still not the smartest move). But as Adam said, an English lit degree ideally gives you a pretty well-rounded education with a somewhat international outlook, so if you value that kind of thing it's worth doing. (Plus reading is awesome, of course, so it's well worth doing anyway imho).

Obviously, it won't hurt if you have one of the biggest sporting goods companies in the world pay you to skate while you're studying, either, especially if you're studying in a country where it will cost you a fortune. (In Germany and Hong Kong, I didn't have to pay a cent to get my degrees, so that's obviously a big factor.)

I like Suciu, and I don't think he should be ashamed to bring his ideas and his interest in literature into his parts. I love a well-thought out part and I can relate to the idea of building it around mirrored lines ( I absolutely love Creager's Menikmati part for this reason, for example), so I'm really looking forward to this.   

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2019, 12:55:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I like his pants more nowadays..

Raw Selvedge Denim is great. And his pants fit like how a grown-ass mans pants should fit like. Baggy pants are a fad anyways..

He never went baggy, just normal pants, now he is in skinny.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2019, 12:57:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
not really

[close]

Gentrification is when people say 'this area is shit, make it nice.' then someone comes in and makes it nice. Then people say 'I liked it rugged before, you shouldn't have made it nice.'

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
not really

[close]

[close]

Gentrification is when white people say 'this area is shit, make it nice' about lower-cost, often minority neighborhoods where residents have lived and possibly thrived for generations prior then someone comes in and adds a whole foods, some yoga studios, and yuppies move in and drive the cost of living up, displacing current residents. Then people say 'I liked it rugged before, you shouldn't have made it nice.'
You seem a little confused about the whole process, so I revised your original post for both content and clarity. Let me know if you have any questions about the whole thing.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2019, 01:21:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
not really

[close]

[close]

Gentrification is when white people say 'this area is shit, make it nice' about lower-cost, often minority neighborhoods where residents have lived and possibly thrived for generations prior then someone comes in and adds a whole foods, some yoga studios, and yuppies move in and drive the cost of living up, displacing current residents. Then people say 'I liked it rugged before, you shouldn't have made it nice.'
[close]
You seem a little confused about the whole process, so I revised your original post for both content and clarity. Let me know if you have any questions about the whole thing.

Thank you for helping me get offended. You’re doing gods work, son.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2019, 01:24:09 PM »
Man, going straight from page 1 to page 6 is a wild ride.

SkateKitten

• Rep: -21
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2019, 01:57:36 PM »
Man, going straight from page 1 to page 6 is a wild ride.

This is the best publicity he can get.

Rakk

« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2019, 03:13:39 PM »
Mark's part is leaking on xhamster.com

ballintoohard

« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2019, 07:38:16 PM »
When neighborhood median income rises, violent crime rates and narcotic offenses drop as does vandalism and petty theft. Local businesses have been boarded up for years and most that were actually profitable are moreso now.  The owner of the local yoga studio actually bought the laundromat too, where they run free laundry service for the homeless and also free alterations for any clothing people are using to go to a job interview.  It really sucks to have less sporadic gunshots.

I live in a gentrifying area and people are coming in of all colors here. The older residents I've spoken to don't give a fuck because there aren't trap houses or prostitution dens anymore and people can not have their cars stolen if they park on the street. What's changed is that people actually respect for and care for where they live. The park isn't full of litter after dice games and the gutters aren't lined with trash from people eating fast food after the club closes.

But yes, gentrification can only be racially based, let's focus on a construct rather than something like class and the local labor market.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2019, 09:28:20 PM »
When neighborhood median income rises, violent crime rates and narcotic offenses drop as does vandalism and petty theft. Local businesses have been boarded up for years and most that were actually profitable are moreso now.  The owner of the local yoga studio actually bought the laundromat too, where they run free laundry service for the homeless and also free alterations for any clothing people are using to go to a job interview.  It really sucks to have less sporadic gunshots.

But yes, gentrification can only be racially based, let's focus on a construct rather than something like class and the local labor market.
(citation needed)
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2019, 12:03:43 AM »
Do you have any idea what intersectionality is?

Gentrification in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing--it can be good for all parties involved. I live in Logan Square, Chicago so that technically makes me a gentrifier since I'm not Puerto Rican and middle-income. The difference is me and my roommates never once spent money at the gentrified-ass fake Mexican restaurant on our block that yuppies flock to for some reason, i.e. where you spend your dollars matters in the big picture nearly as much as actual housing. Not saying economic development is bad for communities because we all know it's not, but these developments ought to reflect the community and its interests because they were there first. If a hundred middle-class white people move to X neighborhood and buy all their groceries from the supermercado at the end of the block, their clothes from the thrift store a 15-min walk away, and go to the bar down the street that's been there 30 years, the community would--economically speaking; as cultural considerations also come into play--exist as it were before, if not better.

Still, the main problem is that there's no rent control and people get priced out. Even if families can continue to afford rent, who's to say they can afford to keep buying groceries in their own neighborhood? Not to mention culture which has persisted in communities for decades can get wiped clean in a matter of years at most (I live in Chicago, this is what's happening in Pilsen currently, see also: Humboldt Park, Logan Square, Wicker Park, Bronzeville, etc etc). Of course gentrification doesn't have an inherent racial basis, but labor and class intersect with race thanks to the institution of racism and existence of a de-jure-then-de-facto-but-still-secretly-de-jure racial hierarchy. That's why when we talk about gentrification it always ends up as a conversation about race because most people that live in cheap neighborhoods are black and brown.

I accidentally wrote this at 2am so hopefully it's readable

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down