Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246268 times)

Hideo Kojima

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #180 on: July 27, 2019, 07:26:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
gentrification in skateboarder form
[close]
not really
him being literate doesn't prevent illiterate people from skateboarding

it feels like it's the other way around sometimes in skateboarding.
[close]

what even is gentrification these days
[close]

Gentrification is when white people say 'this area is shit, make it nice' about lower-cost, often minority neighborhoods where residents have lived and possibly thrived for generations prior then someone comes in and adds a whole foods, some yoga studios, and yuppies move in and drive the cost of living up, displacing current residents. Then people say 'I liked it rugged before, you shouldn't have made it nice.'
[close]
You seem a little confused about the whole process, so I revised your original post for both content and clarity. Let me know if you have any questions about the whole thing.

Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #181 on: July 27, 2019, 07:56:09 AM »
Soooooo, does anybody want to upload that video instead of educating us what gentifrication is?

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2019, 08:49:55 AM »
Expand Quote
But yes, gentrification can only be racially based, let's focus on a construct rather than something like class and the local labor market.
[close]
Do you have any idea what intersectionality is?

Gentrification in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing--it can be good for all parties involved. I live in Logan Square, Chicago so that technically makes me a gentrifier since I'm not Puerto Rican and middle-income. The difference is me and my roommates never once spent money at the gentrified-ass fake Mexican restaurant on our block that yuppies flock to for some reason, i.e. where you spend your dollars matters in the big picture nearly as much as actual housing. Not saying economic development is bad for communities because we all know it's not, but these developments ought to reflect the community and its interests because they were there first. If a hundred middle-class white people move to X neighborhood and buy all their groceries from the supermercado at the end of the block, their clothes from the thrift store a 15-min walk away, and go to the bar down the street that's been there 30 years, the community would--economically speaking; as cultural considerations also come into play--exist as it were before, if not better.

so are you a gentrifier or not?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2019, 08:57:45 AM »
Expand Quote
But yes, gentrification can only be racially based, let's focus on a construct rather than something like class and the local labor market.
[close]

Gentrification in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing--it can be good for all parties involved. I live in Logan Square, Chicago so that technically makes me a gentrifier since I'm not Puerto Rican and middle-income. The difference is me and my roommates never once spent money at the gentrified-ass fake Mexican restaurant on our block that yuppies flock to for some reason, i.e. where you spend your dollars matters in the big picture nearly as much as actual housing. Not saying economic development is bad for communities because we all know it's not, but these developments ought to reflect the community and its interests because they were there first. If a hundred middle-class white people move to X neighborhood and buy all their groceries from the supermercado at the end of the block, their clothes from the thrift store a 15-min walk away, and go to the bar down the street that's been there 30 years, the community would--economically speaking; as cultural considerations also come into play--exist as it were before, if not better.

Still, the main problem is that there's no rent control and people get priced out. Even if families can continue to afford rent, who's to say they can afford to keep buying groceries in their own neighborhood? Not to mention culture which has persisted in communities for decades can get wiped clean in a matter of years at most (I live in Chicago, this is what's happening in Pilsen currently, see also: Humboldt Park, Logan Square, Wicker Park, Bronzeville, etc etc). Of course gentrification doesn't have an inherent racial basis, but labor and class intersect with race thanks to the institution of racism and existence of a de-jure-then-de-facto-but-still-secretly-de-jure racial hierarchy. That's why when we talk about gentrification it always ends up as a conversation about race because most people that live in cheap neighborhoods are black and brown.

I accidentally wrote this at 2am so hopefully it's readable

"How Woke 'Liberals' Convince Themselves That Gentrifying is Okay":

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/evy3k7/how-woke-liberals-convince-themselves-that-gentrifying-is-okay

in general, fuck Vice, but this was based on an interesting research path

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 369
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #184 on: July 27, 2019, 09:17:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

so are you a gentrifier or not?
Yes because Logan Square isn't made up of black college students who live on <$800/mo.

Good read Deputy, thanks for the link.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

BehindTheLens

• Rep: 0
« Reply #185 on: July 27, 2019, 09:24:49 AM »
What in the fuck did this thread turn into?

conqueso

« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2019, 09:28:53 AM »
just post the link...

Nicki

« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »
just post the link...

Amen to that! The vid can’t come soon enough to stop this subliterate arsehole convention.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 09:59:31 AM by Nicki »

ballintoohard

« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2019, 12:25:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Still, the main problem is that there's no rent control and people get priced out. Even if families can continue to afford rent, who's to say they can afford to keep buying groceries in their own neighborhood? Not to mention culture which has persisted in communities for decades can get wiped clean in a matter of years at most (I live in Chicago, this is what's happening in Pilsen currently, see also: Humboldt Park, Logan Square, Wicker Park, Bronzeville, etc etc). Of course gentrification doesn't have an inherent racial basis, but labor and class intersect with race thanks to the institution of racism and existence of a de-jure-then-de-facto-but-still-secretly-de-jure racial hierarchy. That's why when we talk about gentrification it always ends up as a conversation about race because most people that live in cheap neighborhoods are black and brown.

I accidentally wrote this at 2am so hopefully it's readable

I appreciate this- thanks for writing it. I agree with you and try to make sure I have the same habits with regards to businesses I do or do not support. But as a white male that moved at the start of the gentrification of my area, people seem to stop the conversation at skin color and not talk about the actual power one can exercise over where they live (small building, local long-term owner vs the new high rise).

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2019, 01:04:40 PM »
anything more annoying than a white person in their 20s or 30s who are proud they live in a shitty neighborhood?  asking as a black dude who left a shitty neighborhood.

where this part i'm trying to watch him gentrify these fucking spots, lets go!
where is home?

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #190 on: July 27, 2019, 01:09:53 PM »
sigh... this bait and switch used butt wipe of a thread is still under photos/videos...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:11:27 PM by Iceman »

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #191 on: July 27, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »
Move this to "Whatever" and make a new thread when the part actually goes up. Then we can discuss the skateboarding in its own thread.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #192 on: July 27, 2019, 05:07:35 PM »
Move this to "Whatever" and make a new thread when the part actually goes up. Then we can discuss the skateboarding in its own thread.
Sounds like you're trying to gentrify this thread right out of its rightful community… or something.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1565
« Reply #193 on: July 27, 2019, 06:15:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Move this guy to "Whatever" the city and make a new thread part when the part rent actually goes up. Then we can discuss the skateboarding in its own thread.
[close]
Sounds like you're trying to gentrify this thread right out of its rightful community… or something.

What I think I'm reading between the lines. Maybe?

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #194 on: July 27, 2019, 08:53:00 PM »

Im very interested in where the 2020's version of the hipster will flock to. The whole reason cool people moved to the city was to avoid uptight suburban white people shit like noise complaints, and having clean up dog doo doo. With mass gentrification, the suburban culture followed them.

Im predicting 1960's esque commune culture will make a comeback. Theres just tons of areas in America that no one fucking lives at anymore, just ready to be repurposed into holistic nudist colonies.

Rick_Kane

« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2019, 09:15:05 PM »
anything more annoying than a white person in their 20s or 30s who are proud they live in a shitty neighborhood?  asking as a black dude who left a shitty neighborhood.

Five years ago, I lived in what you would call a "shitty neighborhood". It was a run down row house with four 1 bedroom units and my next door neighbor had at least 10 people living there and they also sold drugs out of the unit, and I would get crackheads pounding on my door in the middle of the night thinking it was their door. I would also get harassed at the taco stand across the street for being a white guy wanting tacos. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Nicki

« Reply #196 on: July 27, 2019, 10:00:22 PM »
Expand Quote
anything more annoying than a white person in their 20s or 30s who are proud they live in a shitty neighborhood?asking as a black dude who left a shitty neighborhood.

[close]

Five years ago, I lived in what you would call a "shitty neighborhood". It was a run down row house with four 1 bedroom units and my next door neighbor had at least 10 people living there and they also sold drugs out of the unit, and I would get crackheads pounding on my door in the middle of the night thinking it was their door. I would also get harassed at the taco stand across the street for being a white guy wanting tacos. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Maybe a white dude who lives next to a crack den and moans about crackheads, and complains about being racially profiled at the taco stand. And then moves - but still bitches about it 5 years later.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2019, 11:11:15 PM »
So when's the video premiering?

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 162
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #198 on: July 28, 2019, 01:25:42 AM »

Heard it was gonna be up Friday 8/2/19 on Thrasher but no real confirmation.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #199 on: July 28, 2019, 07:35:48 AM »
It's been confirmed like, five times in this thread.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #200 on: July 28, 2019, 08:04:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Heard it was gonna be up Friday 8/2/19 on Thrasher but no real confirmation.

Finally. End thread.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #201 on: July 28, 2019, 09:29:18 AM »
Soooooo, does anybody want to upload that video instead of educating us what gentifrication is?

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #202 on: July 28, 2019, 09:38:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There’s no video to upload.

The video shown at the premiere was *technically* a work-in-progress, with the hopes of eventual completion before the August 2nd online upload.

He’s still out filming his ender ender.   

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #203 on: July 28, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

The video shown at the premiere was *technically* a work-in-progress, with the hopes of eventual completion before the August 2nd online upload.

The line to end all lines

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 347
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #204 on: July 28, 2019, 12:12:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

imma fix wolves.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • dog stuff
« Reply #205 on: July 28, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

imma fix wolves.

Takes out one beirut song and replaces it with 2 allah-las ones

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #206 on: July 28, 2019, 03:24:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

imma fix wolves.
[close]

Takes out one beirut song and replaces it with 2 allah-las ones

Off the top of my head I don’t remember how many Beirut songs he skates to (never a fan).......

.....but he skates to one song by Air.

aloftystandard

• Rep: 2
« Reply #207 on: July 30, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
What the fuck? I come back here to see if maybe the video leaked yet and I stumble upon half baked discourse about gentrification? This is actually pretty great, and very much my lane. I think its important that we talk about these issues.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2019, 11:49:27 AM »
where's this video part
good come sausage

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2019, 12:11:06 PM »
where's this video part

Friday, August 2.