Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246688 times)

metsuri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #1380 on: October 04, 2019, 01:15:25 AM »
All of it was just incredible. So precise yet natural. I love the thought being put into it. Also that Jenkem piece was great.

Suciu really has that ability to plan shit out and then actually do it.

Syhr

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1381 on: October 04, 2019, 01:22:12 AM »
Thanks to Jenkem:

In rhetoric, chiasmus or, less commonly, chiasm (Latin term from Greek χίασμα, "crossing", from the Greek χιάζω, chiázō, "to shape like the letter Χ") is a "reversal of grammatical structures in successive phrases or clauses – but no repetition of words".

In the part you can see it on 9:47.
And after it goes like this:

50-50 -> Nollie Fs Heel 50 180
Nollie Croock -> Nollie Fs Flip 50 180
Nose Grind 180 -> Fakie Bs Flip Nose Grind 180
Nollie 180 5-0 -> Nolle Bs 180 50 180
Fakie Flip 50 180 - > Nose Grind 180
Sw Bs Flip 50 180 -> Fakie Croock
Nollie Bs Heel 50 180 -> 5050

Didn't catch the symmetry at first. Just thought he was doing what the Bunt guys call "reverse lines" where you do the harder trick first and then do an easier trick to make it a line

Backfootnofoot

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1382 on: October 04, 2019, 01:42:34 AM »
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/mark-suciu-interview/

Let me start of by saying this was one of my most favorite parts of the decade. I know there’re all the complaints about the length, the music, etc. to me, it was the most ambitious skate part ever created, although the ambition doesn’t necessarily make it the best. There’s a distinct composition to the part demarcated by the various sections where Suciu experiments with the various concepts thatre discussed in the interview (most obviously there’re the mirror lines but also just more gnarly atypical tricks combined, up-down tricks, and general spot obliteration. I think the concept part is something that’s been flirted with previously—Dill’s all-line mosaic part, and more recently Walker Ryan’s Wiltshire part—but Suciu has taken those concepts and turned them into something that’s just as pleasing for its technical skill as its aesthetic and creative pursuits.

If he doesn’t win SOTY, it’s because Thrasher is still stuck in their corny SKATE OR DIE image.

That being said, I did find his interview a little arrogant. Reading it all the way through, it doesn’t feel like he gives proper respect to the lineage of skate history. Look, I get it—he’s a smart motherfucker and, speaking as post-grad who’s sick of hearing high school dropouts glorifying their ignorance, I feel like Suciu’s intellect, creativity, and ambition is a breath of fresh air. But still, I wish he acknowledged his predecessors with just a bit more respect/reverence.

Anyways, did anyone else read the interview? Care to comment?

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #1383 on: October 04, 2019, 01:42:45 AM »

Smithy

• Rep: 1
  • SmithySmitherson
« Reply #1384 on: October 04, 2019, 02:15:32 AM »
Man you guys are looking into it wayyyy too hard! Great part, lots off footage, super amazing stuff. Didn’t like the tunes, but eh.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #1385 on: October 04, 2019, 02:59:21 AM »

Let me start of by saying this was one of my most favorite parts of the decade. I know there’re all the complaints about the length, the music, etc. to me, it was the most ambitious skate part ever created, although the ambition doesn’t necessarily make it the best. There’s a distinct composition to the part demarcated by the various sections where Suciu experiments with the various concepts thatre discussed in the interview (most obviously there’re the mirror lines but also just more gnarly atypical tricks combined, up-down tricks, and general spot obliteration. I think the concept part is something that’s been flirted with previously—Dill’s all-line mosaic part, and more recently Walker Ryan’s Wiltshire part—but Suciu has taken those concepts and turned them into something that’s just as pleasing for its technical skill as its aesthetic and creative pursuits.

If he doesn’t win SOTY, it’s because Thrasher is still stuck in their corny SKATE OR DIE image.

That being said, I did find his interview a little arrogant. Reading it all the way through, it doesn’t feel like he gives proper respect to the lineage of skate history. Look, I get it—he’s a smart motherfucker and, speaking as post-grad who’s sick of hearing high school dropouts glorifying their ignorance, I feel like Suciu’s intellect, creativity, and ambition is a breath of fresh air. But still, I wish he acknowledged his predecessors with just a bit more respect/reverence.

I read most of it. I like Suciu's ideas way more in skating than in words. He just comes across as pretty self-involved in this interview. His idea of literature for example is so narrow: "The idea of literature and one’s spoken word, the raw element of one’s own consciousness on the page. It has to do with what I was just talking about—living a deliberate life, trying to create something that is entirely your own product." I just want to tell him stop running circles around yourself and engage with some ideas instead. 

It seems Suciu thinks that the aim of studying literature is mostly to make himself a more interesting person. Self-realization and all that jazz.

When I completed my masters in american literature I always deeply disliked approaches to art that just mostly wanted to decide which was good and which was bad art. These approches seemed to turn the decider (i.e. the literary scientist) into some sort of high priest of what was interesting and what wasn't. They used great work of others to make themselves seem important.
I think the best way to engage with literature is to approach it on the same level: Be open to the ideas and feelings that come through and use them. For me studying literature was always about getting into some cool shit. 

Anyway: I loved that part and I think Sucius ideas are beautiful, when expressed on a skateboard!   

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1386 on: October 04, 2019, 03:22:17 AM »
dudes be complaining that the part is too long but spending way more than 11 minutes talking shit in this thread ;D

some set the bar and some raise the bar, suciu just fucking obliterated it. was hyped to see the blunt 5-0 180 from the jenkem thing.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1387 on: October 04, 2019, 03:29:53 AM »
Was the cellar door stuff and the bench-to-front-crook in a line lowkey digs at Puleo?
I thought all the cellar door stuff was trolling bobby. Also notice how he breaks Ricky O’s golden rule of changing stance after doing tricks in a line instead of doing a trick that would put you in the correct stance?
He did that well though, so maybe he was just trying to prove that it can be done and still look stylish.

I need a few more watches but that front board up the rail pretzel out did my head in 😱

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1388 on: October 04, 2019, 03:49:42 AM »
I definitely developed second-hand scoliosis watching some of this.

But it was glorious.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #1389 on: October 04, 2019, 04:52:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Instant classic if there ever was one, and arguably one of the best parts of the decade. I liked the way the footage was organized, and felt like there were four parts within one larger one, yet kept the flow. The editing and filming was on point and let the skating do the talking. While I think it could have been shortened slightly, it really didn't feel like 11 minutes. I thought after the noseblunt on blubba it would be credits, but wait theres more. Watching it a second time lets you appreciate the number of interesting spots and tricks that go down, and gave me more appreciation for the part overall. The chiasmus is some high level shit, and seems like something only a literature major would come up with.

I do wish there was a fisheye angle of the Thrasher cover 5050. I remember people saying how short the ledge he ollies of of is, but I've never seen the spot so I have no idea. I do love a good gap out to flatbar though. Reminds me of spots you saw more in the early-mid 2000's.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 04:59:24 AM by sometimeperhaps »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #1390 on: October 04, 2019, 05:02:20 AM »
The skating is never the problem with this kid. It's the filming/editing and maybe his style? It's always boring to watch. I want to blame it on the HD as well because I feel only a few filmers can really pull it off(strobeck/wilson/gray mag) and everyone else manages to suck the life out of a decent part. He somehow manages to make every trick look underwhelming. Perhaps because he's light footed. I think he's missing what bobby de geyzer has which is finesse on landing tricks. needs a decent kit change. Baggier clothes maybe? I know mark is easily top 5 when it comes to skill but none of his parts have been watchable since cross continental.
Sabotage 3, Sabotage 4, Search the Horizon with the corny song at the end.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -601
  • who knows
« Reply #1391 on: October 04, 2019, 05:11:17 AM »
The skating is never the problem with this kid. It's the filming/editing and maybe his style? It's always boring to watch. I want to blame it on the HD as well because I feel only a few filmers can really pull it off(strobeck/wilson/gray mag) and everyone else manages to suck the life out of a decent part. He somehow manages to make every trick look underwhelming. Perhaps because he's light footed. I think he's missing what bobby de geyzer has which is finesse on landing tricks. needs a decent kit change. Baggier clothes maybe? I know mark is easily top 5 when it comes to skill but none of his parts have been watchable since cross continental.

yo what the fuck do these kids want these days. the music?  it was more than fine, it was great.  Strobek makes HD look good?  if by good you mean like ass, then yes.

some of you have never had any other skate media options for weeks on end besides the Shorty's Hardware where tyrone olson does a nollie hardflip  fs 5050 and wow does it fucking show.

the fact that anyone is bitching lets me know 1. they are a bitch 2. Parents paid their car insurance at 16
where is home?

Ocelot

« Reply #1392 on: October 04, 2019, 05:15:06 AM »
People know the skating is good and the part itself is pretty cool, hey I got pretty excited when I heard the Air song come on (although it was kinda butchered into an instrumental - there is actually an instrumental available already it's called "playground love (vibraphone version)!!"

Granted that mark and this part is pretty much the exact opposite of what has been the prevailing trend of skateboarding videos in the last 5 years. Licensed music? wow, what a fresh and novel approach! It's just this circle-jerk that mark is some academic savior or something, go look at his insta for books he's reading, Jesus... it's the height of pretentiousness, everything he posts is basically novella in length, aka coffee shop books, lol.

In short: part is good, mark is good a skating, anyone trying to make this out to be some arthouse jazz piece that needs a higher intellect to appreciate can suck a fat dick.

"hey you hear mark landed a chiasmus?"

Backfootnofoot

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1393 on: October 04, 2019, 05:33:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I read most of it. I like Suciu's ideas way more in skating than in words. He just comes across as pretty self-involved in this interview. His idea of literature for example is so narrow: "The idea of literature and one’s spoken word, the raw element of one’s own consciousness on the page. It has to do with what I was just talking about—living a deliberate life, trying to create something that is entirely your own product." I just want to tell him stop running circles around yourself and engage with some ideas instead. 

It seems Suciu thinks that the aim of studying literature is mostly to make himself a more interesting person. Self-realization and all that jazz.

When I completed my masters in american literature I always deeply disliked approaches to art that just mostly wanted to decide which was good and which was bad art. These approches seemed to turn the decider (i.e. the literary scientist) into some sort of high priest of what was interesting and what wasn't. They used great work of others to make themselves seem important.
I think the best way to engage with literature is to approach it on the same level: Be open to the ideas and feelings that come through and use them. For me studying literature was always about getting into some cool shit. 

Anyway: I loved that part and I think Sucius ideas are beautiful, when expressed on a skateboard!

Great post—definitely helped me clarify my own thoughts on his part and the process and his connection to literature. After reading, I definitely connect more with what you’re saying than whatever Suciu was attempting to say. As a fellow lit grad, I totally agree: reading and learning should make you more open and willing to engage in the experience of others. I connected more with what interviewer Lue Elliott was trying to say (I.e. attempting to translate) than whatever it was Suciu was expounding upon. It felt like he was dismissing a good deal of great skating/great skaters....like he’s the David Foster Wallace of skateboarding, and the rest of the field are just a bunch of dummies flicking their boards. His idea of pursuing perfection is commendable, but the way he attempts to explain this pursuit seems a little dismissive. Like say I love watching Louie Barletta’s parts and by no means are they perfect, but it’s those imperfections that actually create an atmosphere that lends itself to the overall aesthetic when considering the part as a whole.

Regardless, it’s still one of the greatest parts ever created, and I still love his ambition. After watching bullshit slappie/wall ride parts by less skilled skaters who lean way more heavily on their fits, it’s refreshing to see an artistic hardcore street part by a skater where actual skill and talent demolishes the field. Sure, it’s nice to see personality, but man, it’s nice to see some good ol’ face melting bangers thrown in with the art.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #1394 on: October 04, 2019, 05:47:59 AM »
So which trick is the trick that supposedly took 3 years to land?
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1395 on: October 04, 2019, 05:48:13 AM »
if a raw/rough cut comes out i nominate Pete to reedit this to max b

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1396 on: October 04, 2019, 05:58:47 AM »

the 5050 after the nollie heel suciu grind
to close the section as it opens

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #1397 on: October 04, 2019, 06:09:04 AM »

People have been saying it's the BS noseblunt on Blubba.

I don't know if I believe that though.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #1398 on: October 04, 2019, 06:22:30 AM »
I watched it again. Still good. Wife even watched it with me and did not complain.
I've watched it 5 times now.

I'm going to make my wife watch it with me when she's feeling better. Last night she had to leave the room saying the tricks were too fast and the fisheye was making her feel nauseous.

Harrison's Fjord

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1399 on: October 04, 2019, 06:22:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks to Jenkem:

In rhetoric, chiasmus or, less commonly, chiasm (Latin term from Greek χίασμα, "crossing", from the Greek χιάζω, chiázō, "to shape like the letter Χ") is a "reversal of grammatical structures in successive phrases or clauses – but no repetition of words".

[close]

need to quote this guy

[close]

literally nobody cares about this dumb fugue

I swear to god... coming from a dude whose personality is defined by reading books yet only read novellas

this is some insufferable nerdy stuff
[close]

I definitely care.
[close]

i care.
[close]

I think it's pretty incredible. Mirror lines are sick, but mapping out a 7 line poem is something no one's done before...

50-50 (A) -> Nollie Fs Heel 50 180 (B)
Nollie Croock (C)-> Nollie Fs Flip 50 180 (D)
Nose Grind 180 (E) -> Fakie Bs Flip Nose Grind 180 (F)
Nollie 180 5-0 (G) -> (G) Nolle Bs 180 50 180
(F) Fakie Flip 50 180 - > (E) Nose Grind 180
(D) Sw Bs Flip 50 180 -> (C) Fakie Croock
(B) Nollie Bs Heel 50 180 -> (A) 5050

I see how D is mirrored but not the other lines. At least, they're not mirrored in the same way. To mirror F, the fakie bs flip nosegrind revert, wouldn't he need to do a 180 flip trick into grind at the beginning of the second F line? And to mirror B, he'd need a Nollie bs heel 5-0 (switch nosegrind), but he does nollie bs heel nosegrind (switch 5-0). I mean it's a sick part, but unless the mirroring is mean to be kind of approximate, I think I'm missing something.

What a find

« Reply #1400 on: October 04, 2019, 06:25:15 AM »
Made me feel something I haven't felt in a while

Soo dialed in, making due with the city for better or for worse. The way the mood changes, emotional for real

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #1401 on: October 04, 2019, 06:35:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yo what the fuck do these kids want these days. the music?  it was more than fine, it was great.  Strobek makes HD look good?  if by good you mean like ass, then yes.

some of you have never had any other skate media options for weeks on end besides the Shorty's Hardware where tyrone olson does a nollie hardflip  fs 5050 and wow does it fucking show.

the fact that anyone is bitching lets me know 1. they are a bitch 2. Parents paid their car insurance at 16

Kids these days? Do you even watch skate videos?
Music is extremely important for setting the mood.

Suciu should have skated to some fancy jazz, kinda like the "Air - Playground Love" that was in the video. Not some Beirut shit that nobody listens to anymore.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 06:37:52 AM by Vintagebody »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1402 on: October 04, 2019, 06:42:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks to Jenkem:

[close]

need to quote this guy

[close]

I swear to god... coming from a dude whose personality is defined by reading books yet only read novellas

[close]

I definitely care.
[close]

i care.
[close]

I think it's pretty incredible. Mirror lines are sick, but mapping out a 7 line poem is something no one's done before...

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1403 on: October 04, 2019, 06:50:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks to Jenkem:

[close]

need to quote this guy

[close]

[close]

I definitely care.
[close]

i care.
[close]

[close]
via Imgflip Meme Generator

Suciu back nose blunts steel beams as jetfuel melts them.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #1404 on: October 04, 2019, 06:51:33 AM »
got high, watched this with my headphones on.....music was great!  Goes without saying that the skating was beyond top notch....

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1405 on: October 04, 2019, 06:58:31 AM »
Made me feel something I haven't felt in a while

Soo dialed in, making due with the city for better or for worse. The way the mood changes, emotional for real
made me feel nothing. suciu's one of my favorites so i wanted to love it. skating is fantastic, though. maybe it'll grow on me

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1406 on: October 04, 2019, 06:59:54 AM »
Just watched and haven’t read anything in here since it dropped so I’m sure this has been said, but pretty sick that his ender was ABD by me. I 5050 Lenox ledge all the time.

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1407 on: October 04, 2019, 07:03:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks to Jenkem:

[close]

need to quote this guy

[close]

[close]

I definitely care.
[close]

i care.
[close]

[close]

I see how D is mirrored but not the other lines. At least, they're not mirrored in the same way. To mirror F, the fakie bs flip nosegrind revert, wouldn't he need to do a 180 flip trick into grind at the beginning of the second F line? And to mirror B, he'd need a Nollie bs heel 5-0 (switch nosegrind), but he does nollie bs heel nosegrind (switch 5-0). I mean it's a sick part, but unless the mirroring is mean to be kind of approximate, I think I'm missing something.

I can't remember what interview I read it in yesterday (maybe village psychic) but it sounded like he didnt want to exactly mirror tricks because then people could predict what was coming.

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #1408 on: October 04, 2019, 07:03:44 AM »
Frankie Spears' reaction in the background of the ender is great

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #1409 on: October 04, 2019, 07:05:43 AM »
I can't remember what interview I read it in yesterday (maybe village psychic) but it sounded like he didnt want to exactly mirror tricks because then people could predict what was coming.

There's a sketch somewhere where he's jotted down things like 'flip spin balance' and he's linking them together in lines. So it's not that the tricks are exactly mirrored, but the 'type' of move I guess?