Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246707 times)

GeorgeCostanza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #1410 on: October 04, 2019, 07:36:13 AM »
Expand Quote
I can't remember what interview I read it in yesterday (maybe village psychic) but it sounded like he didnt want to exactly mirror tricks because then people could predict what was coming.
[close]

There's a sketch somewhere where he's jotted down things like 'flip spin balance' and he's linking them together in lines. So it's not that the tricks are exactly mirrored, but the 'type' of move I guess?

That's just the author of the jenkem article who drew that to understand it, not mark. If you rewatch the part or read above where someone has listed and linked the tricks, then it's clear to see there are both direct and loosely mirrored variations of tricks.
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

swordtechnique

• Rep: -56
« Reply #1411 on: October 04, 2019, 07:48:11 AM »
If he doesn't get SOTY this year Thrasher is fucked

fongool

• Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1412 on: October 04, 2019, 08:01:41 AM »
he must have been deep in the zone on the grey Atlas sweatshirt/black pants day -- looks like he got the nollie 360, the back noseblunt, the crazy line w/ the back tail to front board and a bunch of other stuff....

squippy

• Rep: -65
« Reply #1413 on: October 04, 2019, 08:04:13 AM »
Biggest takeaway is the lack of effort most pros put into their parts when compared with this. It bums me out to think a young KB couldn't be bothered to scrape together a solo part for Blessed.

PS Skate IQ needs to be an official metric. Can somebody crunch the numbers?

squippy

• Rep: -65
« Reply #1414 on: October 04, 2019, 08:09:12 AM »
Expand Quote
I watched it again. Still good. Wife even watched it with me and did not complain.
[close]
I've watched it 5 times now.

I'm going to make my wife watch it with me when she's feeling better. Last night she had to leave the room saying the tricks were too fast and the fisheye was making her feel nauseous.

I once made my ex watch Ave's propeller part because I strongly felt she needed to appreciate it before he took home SOTY. I don't drink much anymore

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #1415 on: October 04, 2019, 08:12:57 AM »
If he doesn't get SOTY this year Thrasher is fucked

That's thing about SOTY though. When Phelps was alive, he couldn't have given a fuck what you or I or anyone else has to say about it. It was HIS decision. When AVE won SOTY, a lot of people were angry and didn't think he deserved it.

What I'm saying is, Thrasher is by no means "fucked" if Suciu doesn't win SOTY. There is nothing behind the award besides the personal opinion of Burnett at this point. He could pick Danny Way if he wants.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:17:22 AM by DanTheDoucher »
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
« Reply #1416 on: October 04, 2019, 08:20:36 AM »
The music was awful and the part certainly lacked traditional Enders. I think it was amazing but could have been better if the photosynthesis vibe was just in the intro and some nice miles Davis or Herbie Hancock was used. Beirut was horrid

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1417 on: October 04, 2019, 08:40:13 AM »

Ocelot

« Reply #1418 on: October 04, 2019, 08:49:36 AM »
Expand Quote
SUNDAY

[close]

Give me a remix that uses the full Air song and takes out the garbage Beirut songs

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #1419 on: October 04, 2019, 08:54:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks to Jenkem:

In rhetoric, chiasmus or, less commonly, chiasm (Latin term from Greek χίασμα, "crossing", from the Greek χιάζω, chiázō, "to shape like the letter Χ") is a "reversal of grammatical structures in successive phrases or clauses – but no repetition of words".

In the part you can see it on 9:47.
And after it goes like this:

50-50 -> Nollie Fs Heel 50 180
Nollie Croock -> Nollie Fs Flip 50 180
Nose Grind 180 -> Fakie Bs Flip Nose Grind 180
Nollie 180 5-0 -> Nolle Bs 180 50 180
Fakie Flip 50 180 - > Nose Grind 180
Sw Bs Flip 50 180 -> Fakie Croock
Nollie Bs Heel 50 180 -> 5050
[close]

need to quote this guy

[close]

literally nobody cares about this dumb fugue

I swear to god... coming from a dude whose personality is defined by reading books yet only read novellas

this is some insufferable nerdy stuff
[close]

I definitely care.
[close]

i care.
[close]

I think it's pretty incredible. Mirror lines are sick, but mapping out a 7 line poem is something no one's done before...

50-50 (A) -> Nollie Fs Heel 50 180 (B)
Nollie Croock (C)-> Nollie Fs Flip 50 180 (D)
Nose Grind 180 (E) -> Fakie Bs Flip Nose Grind 180 (F)
Nollie 180 5-0 (G) -> (G) Nolle Bs 180 50 180
(F) Fakie Flip 50 180 - > (E) Nose Grind 180
(D) Sw Bs Flip 50 180 -> (C) Fakie Croock
(B) Nollie Bs Heel 50 180 -> (A) 5050
[close]

I see how D is mirrored but not the other lines. At least, they're not mirrored in the same way. To mirror F, the fakie bs flip nosegrind revert, wouldn't he need to do a 180 flip trick into grind at the beginning of the second F line? And to mirror B, he'd need a Nollie bs heel 5-0 (switch nosegrind), but he does nollie bs heel nosegrind (switch 5-0). I mean it's a sick part, but unless the mirroring is mean to be kind of approximate, I think I'm missing something.
[close]

I can't remember what interview I read it in yesterday (maybe village psychic) but it sounded like he didnt want to exactly mirror tricks because then people could predict what was coming.

I care.

Poetry in motion.

ultsi

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1420 on: October 04, 2019, 09:01:31 AM »
There's same filler footage used in 5:00 and 7:50

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #1421 on: October 04, 2019, 09:03:52 AM »
Expand Quote
I watched it again. Still good. Wife even watched it with me and did not complain.
[close]

I'm going to make my wife watch it with me when she's feeling better. Last night she had to leave the room saying the tricks were too fast and the fisheye was making her feel nauseous.

My wife watched it with me on my second viewing. When we went to bed she said she had that last song stuck in her head.

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #1422 on: October 04, 2019, 09:23:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

My wife watched it with me on my second viewing. When we went to bed she said she had that last song stuck in her head.
Suciu seems like the type of dude that would be stoked that you guys are watching his part with your wives, and loved ones, bringing families together and shit like that. And I mean that in the best possible way. Part was bananas.

im probably lying

Dishonest John

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
  • Nya Ah Ahh!
« Reply #1423 on: October 04, 2019, 09:34:02 AM »
And this, ladies and gentelmen, is how you get yourself in history books

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #1424 on: October 04, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »
HE REALLY SKATED TO TWO BEIRUT SONGS LMAO

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1425 on: October 04, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »
SUNDAY

ah good your doing it, 1 request; pls take out all the b-roll and put in

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2239
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1426 on: October 04, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »
It's crazy, forever ago I randomly found these parts from Suciu on YouTube, and was blown away and confused how I'd never heard of this kid before and why he wasn't on some big company that was pushing him super hard. Well, here we are today.

These are from 11 and 10 years ago respectively:

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #1427 on: October 04, 2019, 09:42:35 AM »
Had to retract my first comment about less being more, enjoyed it way more the second watch.  The only thing that stuck out like a sore thumb was the couple times he awkwardly jumped around to switch stances.  You’d think he’d never allow that in his meticulously crafted superpart.

Brguy

« Reply #1428 on: October 04, 2019, 09:44:07 AM »
Expand Quote
The skating is never the problem with this kid. It's the filming/editing and maybe his style? It's always boring to watch. I want to blame it on the HD as well because I feel only a few filmers can really pull it off(strobeck/wilson/gray mag) and everyone else manages to suck the life out of a decent part. He somehow manages to make every trick look underwhelming. Perhaps because he's light footed. I think he's missing what bobby de geyzer has which is finesse on landing tricks. needs a decent kit change. Baggier clothes maybe? I know mark is easily top 5 when it comes to skill but none of his parts have been watchable since cross continental.
[close]

yo what the fuck do these kids want these days. the music?  it was more than fine, it was great.  Strobek makes HD look good?  if by good you mean like ass, then yes.

some of you have never had any other skate media options for weeks on end besides the Shorty's Hardware where tyrone olson does a nollie hardflip  fs 5050 and wow does it fucking show.

the fact that anyone is bitching lets me know 1. they are a bitch 2. Parents paid their car insurance at 16
Either every skater on Supreme skates on mach10 or Strobeck is a good filmer. Not saying he doesn't fuck up a lot, but he really makes stuff look good more than not.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1429 on: October 04, 2019, 09:46:14 AM »
I'm lost at the Beirut criticism. People are treating them like they're Nickelback. I was legitimately unaware that Condon's music inspired such derision.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #1430 on: October 04, 2019, 09:53:23 AM »
Man you guys are looking into it wayyyy too hard! Great part, lots off footage, super amazing stuff. Didn’t like the tunes, but eh.

He basically explicitly asked everyone to look into this part this much.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #1431 on: October 04, 2019, 10:00:13 AM »
It's crazy, forever ago I randomly found these parts from Suciu on YouTube, and was blown away and confused how I'd never heard of this kid before and why he wasn't on some big company that was pushing him super hard. Well, here we are today.

These are from 11 and 10 years ago respectively:

you aren't on slap back then? he was all over it, mostly ppl clowning on him but secretly jealous
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #1432 on: October 04, 2019, 10:00:54 AM »
Had to retract my first comment about less being more, enjoyed it way more the second watch.  The only thing that stuck out like a sore thumb was the couple times he awkwardly jumped around to switch stances.  You’d think he’d never allow that in his meticulously crafted superpart.

I actually really liked those because he somehow managed to make them look fluid and stylish. Like someone said earlier in this thread, that could have been a little jab at Puleo, which I'm also all about.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #1433 on: October 04, 2019, 10:15:46 AM »
I enjoyed the part more than most of the stuff that has been put out this year. I thought the music was good, not exactly my taste, but it fit the part and I never felt the need to mute it. It is also great that he put so much effort into creating something that was important to him (even if he might have come off a bit douchy in the process). All that being said. I wasn't blown away by the part. I can't put my finger on why though. Maybe I need to watch it again, but the people that are comparing it to MJ's fully flared part are WAY off the mark. 

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1434 on: October 04, 2019, 10:21:25 AM »
but the people that are comparing it to MJ's fully flared part are WAY off the mark.

Yeah, MJs fully flared part is way worse

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #1435 on: October 04, 2019, 10:30:34 AM »
Let's return to the, umm, artist statement, and give it an honest assessment now that the video is online.

Disclaimer: The skating was outstanding, to say the least.

But we have the whole package now -- 'artist statement' and video. So...

Maybe it's bitter, but I (and I think most of us) found the artist statement pretentious all along. But, I wanted to appreciate the video before arguing against it. It had a thesis and I'm a dork for crap like that. Now that I've seen and enjoyed the video, it's fair to argue. I think the video comes across as haphazard in light of the artist statement. His thesis is not delivered. There's no direct theme of tricks or locations. I don't see any symmetry. Sure, there are lots of neat moments with pretzel-spins and rad ledge combos, but calling the part a cohesive whole is farfetched. I'd give the overall project a C.

Now can we please get back to skate videos without thesis statements  :-* Were this a skate video without any smart-guy bragging ahead of its release, I woulda loved it with all my heart. In a sense, I still did. Anyhow.

I'm curious to hear other opinions about this! Maybe someone thinks the thesis was delivered  8)

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #1436 on: October 04, 2019, 10:37:36 AM »
Let's return to the, umm, artist statement, and give it an honest assessment now that the video is online.

Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe it's bitter, but I (and I think most of us) found the artist statement pretentious all along. But, I wanted to appreciate the video before arguing against it. It had a thesis and I'm a dork for crap like that. Now that I've seen and enjoyed the video, it's fair to argue. I think the video comes across as haphazard in light of the artist statement. His thesis is not delivered. There's no direct theme of tricks or locations. I don't see any symmetry. Sure, there are lots of neat moments with pretzel-spins and rad ledge combos, but calling the part a cohesive whole is farfetched. I'd give the overall project a C.

Now can we please get back to skate videos without thesis statements  :-* Were this a skate video without any smart-guy bragging ahead of its release, I woulda loved it with all my heart. In a sense, I still did. Anyhow.

I'm curious to hear other opinions about this! Maybe someone thinks the thesis was delivered  8)

Here it is explained for you.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/10/03/serious-review-mark-sucius-serious-verso/

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1437 on: October 04, 2019, 10:39:59 AM »

Expand Quote

[close]

See below post for elaboration

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks to Jenkem:

In rhetoric, chiasmus or, less commonly, chiasm (Latin term from Greek χίασμα, "crossing", from the Greek χιάζω, chiázō, "to shape like the letter Χ") is a "reversal of grammatical structures in successive phrases or clauses – but no repetition of words".

In the part you can see it on 9:47.
And after it goes like this:

50-50 -> Nollie Fs Heel 50 180
Nollie Croock -> Nollie Fs Flip 50 180
Nose Grind 180 -> Fakie Bs Flip Nose Grind 180
Nollie 180 5-0 -> Nolle Bs 180 50 180
Fakie Flip 50 180 - > Nose Grind 180
Sw Bs Flip 50 180 -> Fakie Croock
Nollie Bs Heel 50 180 -> 5050
[close]

need to quote this guy

[close]

literally nobody cares about this dumb fugue

I swear to god... coming from a dude whose personality is defined by reading books yet only read novellas

this is some insufferable nerdy stuff
[close]

I definitely care.
[close]

i care.
[close]

I think it's pretty incredible. Mirror lines are sick, but mapping out a 7 line poem is something no one's done before...

50-50 (A) -> Nollie Fs Heel 50 180 (B)
Nollie Croock (C)-> Nollie Fs Flip 50 180 (D)
Nose Grind 180 (E) -> Fakie Bs Flip Nose Grind 180 (F)
Nollie 180 5-0 (G) -> (G) Nolle Bs 180 50 180
(F) Fakie Flip 50 180 - > (E) Nose Grind 180
(D) Sw Bs Flip 50 180 -> (C) Fakie Croock
(B) Nollie Bs Heel 50 180 -> (A) 5050

I have no complaints about this part to be honest. I'm glad that after all of this anticipation that we were blessed with a part that was over 6-7 minutes, a rarity in today's skateboarding video parts.

Besides, as long as the soundtrack is better than the soundtrack to LE's Theatrix, i think we should all be able to stomach it without any major gripes.
It really could have been significantly worse music-wise

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #1438 on: October 04, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »
Regardless of his interview, the skating is unhatable. He does ridiculously hard shit, so cleanly with a great eye for spots and what he can do with them. This part was a masterpiece. I'll add, I feel I'll re-watch Cross Continential more for a variety of reasons (length, editing, and song-choice), but it reminds me of how Yeah Right is my favorite MJ part for similar reasons over his fully flared magnum opus, but the skating in Verso and FF are technically more impressive than the two prior parts.

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #1439 on: October 04, 2019, 10:49:18 AM »
oh shit Sus good looks! I get it now! The real-deal 'Verso' part is actually the blitz of lines at the end, neat. Meter measured out and everything. That's bad-ass.