Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246693 times)

johnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #1500 on: October 05, 2019, 07:53:02 AM »
I was not familiar with any of the music but I certainly didn’t mind it.
It was better than almost all of the Pretty Sweet soundtrack except for Bowie - 5 years.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1501 on: October 05, 2019, 08:11:27 AM »
that nollie fs ollie to switch 180 was soooo nice whatever you dorks are tripping on music wise this dude kills it, I am a fan as he makes it look soo easy the ender was killer too.
Dueces Bitch's

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #1502 on: October 05, 2019, 08:27:10 AM »
I don't think anyone mentioned that switch backside flip backside grab...

It just dawned on me that that was switch. Holy moly!

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1503 on: October 05, 2019, 08:44:15 AM »
I’m so bad with trick names and nollie backside frontside etc etc that I can’t even follow these discussions haha. Part was nuts tho. Woulda been better if it just dropped outta nowhere without the hype/delay.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #1504 on: October 05, 2019, 09:01:29 AM »
Hands down one of the best videoparts I've seen in years.
I'll take this over any 'gnarly' Nyjah stuff anyday.

To those knitpicking about the music:
Me and my friends sat through skatevideos where Chris Gentry rapped to his own videopart and we never complained.

Man up.

Peace.

Truth

conqueso

« Reply #1505 on: October 05, 2019, 09:22:28 AM »
I thought the music went really well.

part of the year imo, I really liked the mirror line section. His feet are inhumanly fast

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1506 on: October 05, 2019, 09:27:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's also not Suciu. It's Ben Raemers.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #1507 on: October 05, 2019, 09:38:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's also not Suciu. It's Ben Raemers.

Had meant to post that. Don't know how it got past people as you can see his face followed by Raemers Forever. God bless mark for the tribute, I'm still so bummed about Ben  :'(

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1508 on: October 05, 2019, 10:04:02 AM »
the skating is incredible.

poorly chopping up the Air song takes me out of that section.

the intent behind the part is awesome and cool to see it all pan out, and i really really enjoyed the Village Psychic interview, and the jenkem “review” was fun, but overall, all the writing/discussion on it reminds me of reading fan fiction re: the Star Wars ring composition theory re: the prequels

the triple part format (and sterile music choices) made it sorta seem like his Search the Horizon part v2.0

...but again, at its core, the Verso part is some of the most original skating ive seen in a long time

*and by original, i mean thinking of cool ways to skate known spots without resorting to getting weird/no-complying your way thru it

« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 11:24:59 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
« Reply #1509 on: October 05, 2019, 10:38:43 AM »
let's get some gifs up in this bitch!
I feel like this trick was a personal message to Pappalardo, something like --
"Dear Anthony,
 I hope you're taking care of yourself.
 This spot's been thoroughly skate-stopped, much like your career, but with your creative eye and quick feet, I hope you can bounce back just as I did from the smith to the 50-50. I didn't avoid the stoppers, I used them to make something new. I hope you can find inspiration in my trick as you have once inspired me.
Sincerely,

Marcus Suciungton III

P.S. the Dime sw back 50 was for you"

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #1510 on: October 05, 2019, 10:52:14 AM »
"Dear Anthony,
 This spot's been thoroughly skate-stopped, much like your career, but with your creative eye and quick feet, I hope you can bounce back just as I did from the smith to the 50-50. I didn't avoid the stoppers, I used them to make something new. I hope you can find inspiration in my trick as you have once inspired me.
Sincerely,

Marcus Suciungton III

If I knew how to do the Gif shit, I would be totally on this.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

soandso

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1511 on: October 05, 2019, 11:19:02 AM »
This is akin to MJ's Fully Flared part. Not in style or content, but the length and average ridiculous of the skating. Zero filler.

This.

Is Suciu the PJ everyone wanted PJ to be?

Are you me? I had this thought while watching..

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #1512 on: October 05, 2019, 11:20:55 AM »
"Dear Anthony,
Sincerely,

Marcus Suciungton III

That made me laugh way harder than it should of. Also, echoing another, how does a guy put a gif in his sig?

TheAmericanAntique

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1513 on: October 05, 2019, 11:28:00 AM »
Can’t believe Gay made an oopsie

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1514 on: October 05, 2019, 11:39:31 AM »
Didn't read the entire thread but I'm sure its been said, but never has such amazing skateboarding been so unappealing to me.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1515 on: October 05, 2019, 11:44:11 AM »
Is Suciu the PJ everyone wanted PJ to be?

I get this but young PJ had a freestyle spontaneity, Verso is the opposite of that.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1516 on: October 05, 2019, 12:18:37 PM »
I'm reading through his interview. Dude rips, no mistaking, but I fucking hate hearing people who can make a good living skateboarding say they stopped because they were"uninspired."

Sorry, but fuck off, Mark.

So many of us (extremely) less talented skateboarders would give pretty much anything to even have the opportunity to take a step back. I get being your best self and all that, but it comes off pretentious when you have an incredible level of "it" and then talk about just wanting to not do it. I've been lucky enough to be able go to college and grad school, but I graduated with a degree from both in knowing how to not sound so much like a douche.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #1517 on: October 05, 2019, 12:39:48 PM »
I'm reading through his interview. Dude rips, no mistaking, but I fucking hate hearing people who can make a good living skateboarding say they stopped because they were"uninspired."

So many of us (extremely) less talented skateboarders would give pretty much anything to even have the opportunity to take a step back. I get being your best self and all that, but it comes off pretentious when you have an incredible level of "it" and then talk about just wanting to not do it. I've been lucky enough to be able go to college and grad school, but I graduated with a degree from both in knowing how to not sound so much like a douche.

In fairness, I think he’s still living under the assumption that an English degree equates to a good paying job outside of skating and that he has options.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1518 on: October 05, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In fairness, I think he’s still living under the assumption that an English degree equates to a good paying job outside of skating and that he has options.

Honestly that is the dumbest thing about Mark is his degree.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Ocelot

« Reply #1519 on: October 05, 2019, 01:24:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

lol, that's bitter dude

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #1520 on: October 05, 2019, 02:30:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

lol, that's bitter dude

I think mark gets he’s worth more as an artist as a skater, which is the whole point, and I think the point people are missing. If u ever read about Wagner he had this concept of the gesamtkunstwerk, which is a concept and word in German that doesn’t have a good translation, but u know that’s what this is, it’s the whole package. I wish the dude didn’t have to like explain stuff, he could just let his skating do the talking, but I think he thinks skaters are stupid, like that soft form bigotry of low expectations when used in stereotypes of minority groups. I think people that have a high skate IQ will appreciate it more then those that don’t just like any form of art. The point is compared to fine art or cars or any other shit, most skaters don’t have a good education in what we do, like even top pros, like it’s not surprising either, happens in other sports at the high level, bron said some shit like 80% of the league can’t play ball and are just tall and athletic, there’s no thinking in today’s skateboarding and it’s always biggest fastest most given to us in a traditional song format. It’s like Mark did the reverse of history with popular music. Instead of packaged like a pop song for mass production, this mofo made a mothafuckin symphony. This is some gangster ass shit, I’ve watched this way too many fuckin times.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

EastKremer

• Rep: -63
« Reply #1521 on: October 05, 2019, 02:37:12 PM »
There is so much beauty in how the video ends.

The struggle—he committed to the concept, he committed to releasing the video, and he came through with the trick despite the all the pressure.

The risk—the concept demands that he does the whole line, not just the trick. What if he hits a pebble approaching the 50-50? Just the thought gives me anxiety.

The determination—he does not blink an eye after making the trick and handles the line without hesitation. A remarkable display of self control considering that he has tried this trick for a year and the perfection he has been striving for is suddenly within arms reach.

The last trick—a 50-50 is the perfect trick to end the video. One the one hand, it is familiar and relatable to his audience, a gift we can take to our next skate session. On the other hand, he elevates the trick through the section's structure. It is inseparable from the mind-bender of a trick he worked so hard for. He absolutely needs to make it. And he does, effortlessly. To me, this makes it one of the most significant 50-50 grinds ever done.

The push—the PJ reference, the hint of an open ending, the flow. In hindsight, there is no other way to end this video. The antithesis of the ender-ender, the perfect release of the tension that he builds throughout the video. And it really makes me want to go skate.

If this isn’t ironic it is a very good analysis, I hope Mark reads it through all the hating comments.
 Part was sick AF for the chicken bone nowison viewers lmao (I enjoyed that video too it’s just a reference to some article I just read here)

If you can’t enjoy every type of skateboarding you have a problem
Shalom
Listen to God Fahim
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 02:39:41 PM by EastKremer »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1522 on: October 05, 2019, 02:43:50 PM »
I have no idea who the band beirut is and the music seemed fitting for his personality. Honestly, with a such a deep trick selection and incredible, unique lines, who the fuck has the mental capacity to even register the music, when there is so much of awesomeness to process with each clip.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #1523 on: October 05, 2019, 03:01:30 PM »
There is so much beauty in how the video ends.

The struggle—he committed to the concept, he committed to releasing the video, and he came through with the trick despite the all the pressure.

The risk—the concept demands that he does the whole line, not just the trick. What if he hits a pebble approaching the 50-50? Just the thought gives me anxiety.

The determination—he does not blink an eye after making the trick and handles the line without hesitation. A remarkable display of self control considering that he has tried this trick for a year and the perfection he has been striving for is suddenly within arms reach.

The last trick—a 50-50 is the perfect trick to end the video. One the one hand, it is familiar and relatable to his audience, a gift we can take to our next skate session. On the other hand, he elevates the trick through the section's structure. It is inseparable from the mind-bender of a trick he worked so hard for. He absolutely needs to make it. And he does, effortlessly. To me, this makes it one of the most significant 50-50 grinds ever done.

The push—the PJ reference, the hint of an open ending, the flow. In hindsight, there is no other way to end this video. The antithesis of the ender-ender, the perfect release of the tension that he builds throughout the video. And it really makes me want to go skate.

one-off

• Rep: 107
« Reply #1524 on: October 05, 2019, 04:02:37 PM »
Ph.D. or it didn’t happen

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #1525 on: October 05, 2019, 04:18:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

lol, that's bitter dude

Not really. I think a lot of kids go into college thinking they will graduate and get a good paying job because that’s quite literally what every adult tells you is going to happen. Then you graduate and you realize the average annual income for a person with a bachelors in English is like 45k a year.

I watched something with him in it where he alluded to the idea that he was going to have more options after he graduated.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1526 on: October 05, 2019, 04:30:27 PM »
All I now about Mark after read this thread is: Mark fuckin rips, but is a pseudo-intelectual.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 06:11:04 PM by Swithflip »

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #1527 on: October 05, 2019, 06:00:08 PM »
1. Wonderful Horrible Life
2. Beware Of Sasquatch
3. Verso

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #1528 on: October 05, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »
1. Wonderful Horrible Life
2. Beware Of Sasquatch
3. Verso

Yes
Yes
Eh

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #1529 on: October 05, 2019, 06:51:04 PM »
People on here act like music isn’t subjective. Did you want him to just pick a song that you personally liked? It worked with the skating, which is the point. This and the people who critique clothes from a skate part... Jesus.
thank you, I find it so funny that everyone's excited about a re-edit like there's this magical song thats going to appease everyone