Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246727 times)

Lenny the Fatface

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #1560 on: October 06, 2019, 12:27:18 PM »
Mark Suciu might be the best skateboarder on the planet.
Mark Suciu is very smart but not enough to adapt his choice of words to his audience, might be slightly autistic.
Mark Suciu has no taste in music, probably struggles to read his own feelings, let alone other people's feelings.
Mark Suciu has no spontaneity and suffers from it.
Mark Suciu still might be the best skateboarder on the planet.

Well said.

The college discussion in this thread is interesting. While I find his degree impractical as a competitive advantage in the professional world, it did inspire him to create one of the best parts in years. It shapes his image and we get good content so its a win for skateboarding.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about his life after skateboarding. That short essay he did for Verso was pure fluff, he's going to be able to talk himself into whatever creative role he wants when he's 35.

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1561 on: October 06, 2019, 12:31:07 PM »
Weird - yeah, I'm rereading his interview and saw the photo with the skatestopper too so they must have been filmed at different times.  Sorry about that.

It makes sense, though--the preceding clips on that side were clearly not skatestopped (skatestoppered?).

Also, it looks like he's riding a Blind Reaper deck in one of those clips.

Glurmpz

« Reply #1562 on: October 06, 2019, 12:38:00 PM »

My main beef with this thread is that 99% of the "haters" are simply jealous. As others have pointed out, they can't trash talk the skating, so they pick the music. Or they pick the intellectual undercurrents. Or the editing (as if he edited it himself). It is okay to let yourself be stoked.

Hasn't this thread been essentially unanimous orgasm for the part? There's almost no critics. 99% of what, two people?

Mark's skating is unreal, but it's part of a whole package that is a media presentation. We're allowed to critique more than just actual tricks. If it were simply about the difficulty of tricks and nothing else, then wouldn't we all be fans of Nyjah etc? Your argument doesn't make sense. Of course I don't want to trash talk the skating - it's nuts. That doesn't mean I liked the music, or HD filming in general, or grey skies, the 11 minute run time, or any number of other factors (editing, fashion etc - neither of those were issues for me in this part however).

On the editing - what are you even getting at with the part I bolded? Editing can't be critiqued unless the skater edits his own part?! That line his hilarious.

It's funny how protective fans can get of their idols. I've never been one to idolize people, but I'm definitely a fan of lots of skaters, and I don't throw a fit when someone has a criticism of their skating or one of their parts. But on here some people get REALLY bent out of shape over the slightest criticism. It's like they only view their favorite skaters through rose colored glasses. Mark Suciu is rad and one of the best skaters ever - this part is one of the sickest parts ever - doesn't mean I'm particularly into it. I respect it though.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 03:55:43 PM by Glurmpz »

DotGuru

« Reply #1563 on: October 06, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »
It's funny how many people make incorrect assumptions--I've only seen a few clips of him before this (I only started skating again last year). Not an idol. I do like this part a lot, though.

Edited to add:
I just went and watched his Search the Horizon part. I think jangly guitars suit his skating a lot better. If I'd gotten used to seeing all of these other parts, I would probably be disappointed with the music selection. I think the new stuff still fits well, though.

Also, I want to point out that I'm only responding so much because others started making it personal. If anyone else saw posts that contained misconceptions about their thoughts and motives, they would do the same. Still stoked.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:24:48 PM by DotGuru »

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1564 on: October 06, 2019, 01:23:28 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm reading through his interview. Dude rips, no mistaking, but I fucking hate hearing people who can make a good living skateboarding say they stopped because they were"uninspired."

Sorry, but fuck off, Mark.

So many of us (extremely) less talented skateboarders would give pretty much anything to even have the opportunity to take a step back. I get being your best self and all that, but it comes off pretentious when you have an incredible level of "it" and then talk about just wanting to not do it. I've been lucky enough to be able go to college and grad school, but I graduated with a degree from both in knowing how to not sound so much like a douche.
[close]

In fairness, I think he’s still living under the assumption that an English degree equates to a good paying job outside of skating and that he has options.

yeah why can't he just LEARN TO CODE

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1565 on: October 06, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm reading through his interview. Dude rips, no mistaking, but I fucking hate hearing people who can make a good living skateboarding say they stopped because they were"uninspired."

So many of us (extremely) less talented skateboarders would give pretty much anything to even have the opportunity to take a step back. I get being your best self and all that, but it comes off pretentious when you have an incredible level of "it" and then talk about just wanting to not do it. I've been lucky enough to be able go to college and grad school, but I graduated with a degree from both in knowing how to not sound so much like a douche.
[close]

In fairness, I think he’s still living under the assumption that an English degree equates to a good paying job outside of skating and that he has options.
[close]

“Back in my day, I was able to pay for my history degree out of pocket by working at a restaurant 20 hours a week, and after I graduated I landed a job that offered full benefits, a pension and large enough salary to buy a three bedroom house. I was able to do it, these Millennials have no excuse!”

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1566 on: October 06, 2019, 01:46:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m sure growing up in Silicon Valley deterred that idea

Ocelot

« Reply #1567 on: October 06, 2019, 02:51:51 PM »
It's funny how many people make incorrect assumptions--I've only seen a few clips of him before this (I only started skating again last year). Not an idol. I do like this part a lot, though.

Edited to add:
I just went and watched his Search the Horizon part. I think jangly guitars suit his skating a lot better. If I'd gotten used to seeing all of these other parts, I would probably be disappointed with the music selection. I think the new stuff still fits well, though.

Also, I want to point out that I'm only responding so much because others started making it personal. If anyone else saw posts that contained misconceptions about their thoughts and motives, they would do the same. Still stoked.

not even a hint of irony or self-awareness here

well done boomer

jimstolz

• Rep: -82
« Reply #1568 on: October 06, 2019, 02:58:22 PM »
Beirut sucks tho

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1569 on: October 06, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »
It’s weird how hard Ocelot is going against this part.
Over a dozen hate posts deep, we get it, you’re one of like two people who didn’t enjoy Verso and now everyone knows you’re a moron. You don’t have anything left to prove. Cool hill to die on...I guess...
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #1570 on: October 06, 2019, 03:20:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Such a dope part!

He really did a number on blubba and the pyramid ledges. Didn't realize his switch flip bs tail was gapped out past the skatestopper upon first viewing. Also with all the other tricks he did on blubba, I think it's pretty easy to overlook how crazy that fs blunt pop-out was before getting to the kink.

Looking forward to the other part Mark puts out at the end of the year as well as his footage from the recent Thrasher plaza trip. This dude is going to be SOTY.
[close]

The skatestopper is on the other ledge.  He gapped out halfway, but not to get over the skatestopper.

I was there two weeks ago they’re all Skate stopped
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #1571 on: October 06, 2019, 03:25:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Mark Suciu is very smart but not enough to adapt his choice of words to his audience, might be slightly autistic.
Mark Suciu has no taste in music, probably struggles to read his own feelings, let alone other people's feelings.
[close]

Well said.

The college discussion in this thread is interesting. While I find his degree impractical as a competitive advantage in the professional world, it did inspire him to create one of the best parts in years. It shapes his image and we get good content so its a win for skateboarding.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about his life after skateboarding. That short essay he did for Verso was pure fluff, he's going to be able to talk himself into whatever creative role he wants when he's 35.

Ehh his wedding outfit post today says all visual creative outlets are out cause fuck he has no sense of style . I think if anything his faux intellectual sense will get him less work he’s a big fish in a small pond of Skate sycophants . Of course he comes off as smart to a bunch of high school drop out Skate rats . But any seasoned creative intellectual would laugh at his stereotypical tastes.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

jimstolz

« Reply #1572 on: October 06, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »
oooooooh
dis

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #1573 on: October 06, 2019, 04:00:55 PM »
It’s weird how hard Ocelot is going against this part.
Over a dozen hate posts deep, we get it, you’re one of like two people who didn’t enjoy Verso and now everyone knows you’re a moron. You don’t have anything left to prove. Cool hill to die on...I guess...

It's probably because Mark carries (or even skates!) his board from spot to spot, just out in the open air for everyone to see like some peasant. If he can afford graduate school, surely he can afford a tasteful bag for his board so other adults don't see that shit. What would they think?
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

slothflip

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1574 on: October 06, 2019, 04:26:39 PM »
Anyone know who the cameo parts are?  Train/front 3 bro at 6:26 and bearded fella at 7:12? Any others? Curious that he would have cameos in his piece de résistance? Idk feels like it doesn’t quite fit the concept of being so deliberate.

I loved it and the music works better on each replay honesty. Tons of props for what he was trying to create in the last section. I’m absolutely floored. Such a compelling part of the story that he needed to stick the 5050 after the mind melter. Of course it’s a layup but still, as someone else said, he could have hit a pebble, etc. Also ending an opus video part with a simple layup. Doing it his way, no effs given

The line at 2:48 is big standout Ive watched about 4 dozen times now. Such a ridiculously small margin for error on that mach 10 ollie combo which is his setup for a back feeble 180 out that still hurts the head.   

Sorry to hold you all up on my review, I know you’ve been waiting for this

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #1575 on: October 06, 2019, 04:37:22 PM »
Anyone know who the cameo parts are?  Train/front 3 bro at 6:26 and bearded fella at 7:12? Any others? Curious that he would have cameos in his piece de résistance? Idk feels like it doesn’t quite fit the concept of being so deliberate.

He always tries to have those guys in his parts. Front 3 is Frankie Spears, can't remember beard dudes name. But Brandon Nguyen also cab lips the rail which Mark nollie 180 switch 5-0 and nollie 180 switch crooks (from memory) right after him.

jimstolz

« Reply #1576 on: October 06, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »
my favorite trick is when the dead guy does the kickflip backside grab before Beirut starts playing

THRILLHOUSE

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1577 on: October 06, 2019, 04:56:42 PM »
Regular lurker here, one who hasn't posted in many years..These are just random reflections, so don't hesitate to scroll by.

This whole thing brought up some long submerged thoughts. I relate to Mark's attitude. As a 34-year-old guy who majored in creative writing more than a decade ago, I feel for his approach. He is full of energy, creative, gifted, and without child. Since he doesn't seem to revel in booze or smoke and the like, and he comes off as a bookish loner, he seems unnervingly focused on the totality of this project, including its pre-planning.   

When I was in college, before I was injured, trying to pay rent in the Bay Area, and less quick to reach for a beer, I mused about how overly thought out a skate part could be. On one hand, there are classic parts that feel perfectly spontaneous and free form. It's easy to compare such parts to a masterful jazz arrangement. A great example of this, to me, would be Mark Gonzales in Video Days as he skates to the music of John Coltrane. There are many a beloved detail in that part, aside from the big tricks, where he seems to melt into his surroundings with a carve, a kickturn, or a little ollie on the fly. All depending on what the moment calls for. The unplanned activities taking place around him inspires what he does next, with wild yet directed unpredictability as a result. 

Some modern pros such as Evan Smith openly echo this approach. When asked about a trick list on The Bunt podcast, Smith laughs derisively, mocking the notion, and maybe makes fun of those who do such things? I could be wrong about that.

Every skater who puts themselves out there can't not embody some form of style, of course. All the choices they make, from the tricks and spots to the ferociousness of the push. The effortless day dream lines through strangely vacant elementary schools of Danny Garcia, juxtaposed by a Jason Adams, pushing like an unleashed pitbull towards a curb in a busy parking lot to slappy it as if it were coping on a soon to be torn out pool.

There are subtle and overt distinctions in style between every skater, which is one reason why I and many others love to watch and partake in the thing. Every skater produces their own aesthetic, even if their approach isn't meticulously planned out in advance.

But that isn't to say there haven't been others like Mark Suciu. While I enjoyed Jenkem's ( http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/10/03/serious-review-mark-sucius-serious-verso/ ) deep dive on Verso and agree that the part is brilliant, I disagree with the implication that Mark was the first to plan this deeply, to care this much about the artistic wholeness of his part. Others have pointed to Marc Johnson in comparison, but I was reminded of Daewon. Each one of his parts feels like an album from a band that successfully changes its sound over time. There is a calculated and consistent aesthetic that defines most of his parts as individual pieces. From Skate More to Round 3, he has eras, and you can clearly see the planning, requiring multiple people to set up picnic tables slanted off roofs and the like, that had to necessitate many of the tricks. There is also Ronnie Creager, Dennis Busenitz, a lot of tech guys and gnar folk alike who have talked about how long they planned something for a part. Staring down a tower gap for years, scoping the perimeter, casing the security guards' schedule until they know they can make their move. I think the author overly emphasized Mark's uniqueness in this case, and could have looked at the lineage of pros who have obsessed over their parts to better understand where he was coming from.     

In the Jenkem article, the author points out the chiasmus idea in Mark's part, defining it as a term used in poetry and rhetoric. Since Mark discussed the mirroring aspect of the part beforehand, and there is an obvious illustration of chiasmus with the "ABBA" on the piece of glass, it makes sense that the author would spend some time analyzing this.

It's interesting how people who write about skateboarding often compare it to other forms of art. This also makes sense, since skating is a very young thing in relation to most art forms. You often hear people talk about its connection to surfing, visual art, and in the Jenkem article case (which you don’t hear very often), poetry. Or rhetoric. Or some kind of literature. There's another article where Mark talks about skate part enders in relation to novel “enders."

If I had to compare Verso to an art form outside of skating, I would probably go with dance. The endearingly described ‘fourth movement’ is based around tweaked symmetries, lines that repeat and reflect one another but in some cases progress in reverse order. I wish I knew more about dance styles and dancers to give more examples, but I once heard that the ancient Whirling Dervish dance as performed by some Sufi practitioners is meant to reflect the spinning of the planets around the sun.

As pointed out by others, Mark’s twists and counter-rotations within individuals tricks themselves, let alone the ones that can only be seen from a distance after viewing all the lines meant to mirror one another, are pronounced. The pretzel spin might as well be a salsa dance flourish. His quick feet hopping chains and curbs with lighting crackles could just as well be those of a coked out tap dancer on the streets of Manhattan. The epitome of a skater’s style, beyond everything else, comes down to the way they move. Sounds like dance to me.             

I had a hard time making skate dates with skate friends after high school. College was a depressing time for me; full of loneliness and searching. I lost my group of skate friends, and I had a hard time making new ones. There were parties and non-skate friends, but I continued skating, oftentimes alone, all the same. Riding a bus to some distant spot, the more secluded the better. A backpack in the seat next to me, containing little more than a novel and a notebook on most days. I wanted the community of fun loving scamps that I used to have. The fellas who hooted at the landing of a new trick, no matter how sketchy. Skating alone made me weirdly self-conscious about the whole activity. But still, I was addicted. Skating alone is a time for thinking and zoning out. Making plans and getting weird. I imagine someone else in a similar head space… 

Mark chose to film his complicated dance moves in strangely clean urban areas. Angular, vast, modern looking slabs of marble, surfaces polished either by wear or design, are his preferred canvas. City skylines move above him, not much higher than his head thanks to the fish, as he plants tricks with the force of fresh architectural foundations being laid. There are few hollers from the homies, no tussles with security guards or high fives from hobos. This is because he doesn’t so much glide into the vibe already taking place in each city—rather, he stamps his proofread imprint into the hard surfaces that make the place. You can hear it when his wheels clap the ground in unison: “MARKMARKMARKMARK." Except all at once.

That was a whole lot of cheesin, I’d be a fool to not see as much. But loners are allowed to cheese on. God help me for this rambling rant. Bless your hearts, Slap city. Thanks for the timeless part Mr. Suciu, and for waking up the inner creative writer who wants to go outside and make some art.   

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1578 on: October 06, 2019, 05:02:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He always tries to have those guys in his parts. Front 3 is Frankie Spears, can't remember beard dudes name. But Brandon Nguyen also cab lips the rail which Mark nollie 180 switch 5-0 and nollie 180 switch crooks (from memory) right after him.
Beard dude is Jazz Leeb (sp?)
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

slothflip

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1579 on: October 06, 2019, 05:10:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Beard dude is Jazz Leeb (sp?)

thanks. is that also frankie spears at the end holding his head after the Nollie Bs Heel 50 180? love that part too

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1580 on: October 06, 2019, 05:19:27 PM »
Regular lurker here, one who hasn't posted in many years..These are just random reflections, so don't hesitate to scroll by.

This whole thing brought up some long submerged thoughts. I relate to Mark's attitude. As a 34-year-old guy who majored in creative writing more than a decade ago, I feel for his approach. He is full of energy, creative, gifted, and without child. Since he doesn't seem to revel in booze or smoke and the like, and he comes off as a bookish loner, he seems unnervingly focused on the totality of this project, including its pre-planning.   

When I was in college, before I was injured, trying to pay rent in the Bay Area, and less quick to reach for a beer, I mused about how overly thought out a skate part could be. On one hand, there are classic parts that feel perfectly spontaneous and free form. It's easy to compare such parts to a masterful jazz arrangement. A great example of this, to me, would be Mark Gonzales in Video Days as he skates to the music of John Coltrane. There are many a beloved detail in that part, aside from the big tricks, where he seems to melt into his surroundings with a carve, a kickturn, or a little ollie on the fly. All depending on what the moment calls for. The unplanned activities taking place around him inspires what he does next, with wild yet directed unpredictability as a result. 

Some modern pros such as Evan Smith openly echo this approach. When asked about a trick list on The Bunt podcast, Smith laughs derisively, mocking the notion, and maybe makes fun of those who do such things? I could be wrong about that.

Every skater who puts themselves out there can't not embody some form of style, of course. All the choices they make, from the tricks and spots to the ferociousness of the push. The effortless day dream lines through strangely vacant elementary schools of Danny Garcia, juxtaposed by a Jason Adams, pushing like an unleashed pitbull towards a curb in a busy parking lot to slappy it as if it were coping on a soon to be torn out pool.

There are subtle and overt distinctions in style between every skater, which is one reason why I and many others love to watch and partake in the thing. Every skater produces their own aesthetic, even if their approach isn't meticulously planned out in advance.

But that isn't to say there haven't been others like Mark Suciu. While I enjoyed Jenkem's ( http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/10/03/serious-review-mark-sucius-serious-verso/ ) deep dive on Verso and agree that the part is brilliant, I disagree with the implication that Mark was the first to plan this deeply, to care this much about the artistic wholeness of his part. Others have pointed to Marc Johnson in comparison, but I was reminded of Daewon. Each one of his parts feels like an album from a band that successfully changes its sound over time. There is a calculated and consistent aesthetic that defines most of his parts as individual pieces. From Skate More to Round 3, he has eras, and you can clearly see the planning, requiring multiple people to set up picnic tables slanted off roofs and the like, that had to necessitate many of the tricks. There is also Ronnie Creager, Dennis Busenitz, a lot of tech guys and gnar folk alike who have talked about how long they planned something for a part. Staring down a tower gap for years, scoping the perimeter, casing the security guards' schedule until they know they can make their move. I think the author overly emphasized Mark's uniqueness in this case, and could have looked at the lineage of pros who have obsessed over their parts to better understand where he was coming from.     

In the Jenkem article, the author points out the chiasmus idea in Mark's part, defining it as a term used in poetry and rhetoric. Since Mark discussed the mirroring aspect of the part beforehand, and there is an obvious illustration of chiasmus with the "ABBA" on the piece of glass, it makes sense that the author would spend some time analyzing this.

It's interesting how people who write about skateboarding often compare it to other forms of art. This also makes sense, since skating is a very young thing in relation to most art forms. You often hear people talk about its connection to surfing, visual art, and in the Jenkem article case (which you don’t hear very often), poetry. Or rhetoric. Or some kind of literature. There's another article where Mark talks about skate part enders in relation to novel “enders."

If I had to compare Verso to an art form outside of skating, I would probably go with dance. The endearingly described ‘fourth movement’ is based around tweaked symmetries, lines that repeat and reflect one another but in some cases progress in reverse order. I wish I knew more about dance styles and dancers to give more examples, but I once heard that the ancient Whirling Dervish dance as performed by some Sufi practitioners is meant to reflect the spinning of the planets around the sun.

As pointed out by others, Mark’s twists and counter-rotations within individuals tricks themselves, let alone the ones that can only be seen from a distance after viewing all the lines meant to mirror one another, are pronounced. The pretzel spin might as well be a salsa dance flourish. His quick feet hopping chains and curbs with lighting crackles could just as well be those of a coked out tap dancer on the streets of Manhattan. The epitome of a skater’s style, beyond everything else, comes down to the way they move. Sounds like dance to me.             

I had a hard time making skate dates with skate friends after high school. College was a depressing time for me; full of loneliness and searching. I lost my group of skate friends, and I had a hard time making new ones. There were parties and non-skate friends, but I continued skating, oftentimes alone, all the same. Riding a bus to some distant spot, the more secluded the better. A backpack in the seat next to me, containing little more than a novel and a notebook on most days. I wanted the community of fun loving scamps that I used to have. The fellas who hooted at the landing of a new trick, no matter how sketchy. Skating alone made me weirdly self-conscious about the whole activity. But still, I was addicted. Skating alone is a time for thinking and zoning out. Making plans and getting weird. I imagine someone else in a similar head space… 

Mark chose to film his complicated dance moves in strangely clean urban areas. Angular, vast, modern looking slabs of marble, surfaces polished either by wear or design, are his preferred canvas. City skylines move above him, not much higher than his head thanks to the fish, as he plants tricks with the force of fresh architectural foundations being laid. There are few hollers from the homies, no tussles with security guards or high fives from hobos. This is because he doesn’t so much glide into the vibe already taking place in each city—rather, he stamps his proofread imprint into the hard surfaces that make the place. You can hear it when his wheels clap the ground in unison: “MARKMARKMARKMARK." Except all at once.

That was a whole lot of cheesin, I’d be a fool to not see as much. But loners are allowed to cheese on. God help me for this rambling rant. Bless your hearts, Slap city. Thanks for the timeless part Mr. Suciu, and for waking up the inner creative writer who wants to go outside and make some art.

Thanks for sharing, have a gnar
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

DotGuru

« Reply #1581 on: October 06, 2019, 05:41:03 PM »

I was thinking (while watching) that he only skates the finest of marble ledges.

I also like the mind-blown jogger on that second-to-last trick. Guy is just standing there (no board, so I'm assuming not a skate) and just puts his hands on his head like he can't believe what he has seen.

Thanks for bringing up Gonz. Nobody would expect Gonz to do a part like this, nor Jamie Thomas, nor Nyjah (and we wouldn't want to see something like this from them). But we would expect it from Suciu, I guess. It seems to fit him perfectly, based on everything I'm reading in these interviews/articles.

jimstolz

« Reply #1582 on: October 06, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »

why my eyes all misty over here bro
thanks

enrgydrnkr

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1583 on: October 06, 2019, 06:54:13 PM »
The effortless day dream lines through strangely vacant elementary schools of Danny Garcia, juxtaposed by a Jason Adams, pushing like an unleashed pitbull towards a curb in a busy parking lot to slappy it as if it were coping on a soon to be torn out pool.

please write more about skateboarding. if you do already, please share it with us here

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #1584 on: October 06, 2019, 08:16:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Well said.

[close]

Ehh his wedding outfit post today says all visual creative outlets are out cause fuck he has no sense of style . I think if anything his faux intellectual sense will get him less work he’s a big fish in a small pond of Skate sycophants . Of course he comes off as smart to a bunch of high school drop out Skate rats . But any seasoned creative intellectual would laugh at his stereotypical tastes.

I disagree that he's a faux intellectual.  Although he is clearly playing up an image to sell product, he also articulated his project with a lot of passion. If anything his biggest weakness is that his vibe is too calculated, not that he's pretending to know a bunch of stuff that he doesn't.

Working as a digital product designer - with a masters degree, my coworkers are usually stoked when they come across someone who gives a shit about their medium. Especially when they apply different influences to it, even if the end result didn't come out as clear. I think he's going to be alright in the future.

Also, I'm black so I dont really understand how much of a violation skating to Beruit is as I'm literally just learning who they are from reading this thread. Keep that in mind.

John Florence

« Reply #1585 on: October 07, 2019, 02:42:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Well said.

[close]

[close]

I disagree that he's a faux intellectual.  Although he is clearly playing up an image to sell product, he also articulated his project with a lot of passion. If anything his biggest weakness is that his vibe is too calculated, not that he's pretending to know a bunch of stuff that he doesn't.

Working as a digital product designer - with a masters degree, my coworkers are usually stoked when they come across someone who gives a shit about their medium. Especially when they apply different influences to it, even if the end result didn't come out as clear. I think he's going to be alright in the future.

Also, I'm black so I dont really understand how much of a violation skating to Beruit is as I'm literally just learning who they are from reading this thread. Keep that in mind.

I would worry about 99% of the other pro skaters future before his since he's definitely part of the 1%.

Snacks

« Reply #1586 on: October 07, 2019, 04:42:53 AM »
my favorite trick is when the dead guy does the kickflip backside grab before Beirut starts playing
You couldn't be more unfunny if you tried

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #1587 on: October 07, 2019, 04:47:07 AM »
This thread was the postface all along.

jimstolz

« Reply #1588 on: October 07, 2019, 06:01:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You couldn't be more unfunny if you tried

It wasn't a joke, net cop. Suck my fat dick.

Dracula

• Rep: -20
« Reply #1589 on: October 07, 2019, 08:47:49 AM »
16mm is so played out