Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246689 times)

PincherBug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #1621 on: October 08, 2019, 04:17:06 PM »
Noooo I’m getting old but don’t wanna learn tranny please don’t make me. I have literally zero tranny skills but people keep saying it’s the move for the old and injured

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1622 on: October 08, 2019, 04:37:15 PM »
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1623 on: October 08, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »
Noooo I’m getting old but don’t wanna learn tranny please don’t make me. I have literally zero tranny skills but people keep saying it’s the move for the old and injured

same, learn to carve? noooooooo

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #1624 on: October 08, 2019, 05:14:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

same, learn to carve? noooooooo

When it’s time I’ll retire to curbs and manuals, fuck a rock and roll.

Also grinds on the top of banks are fun and don’t require popping, on the days where my knee sucks that what I do.

Dracula

• Rep: -20
« Reply #1625 on: October 08, 2019, 07:10:13 PM »
Expand Quote
16mm is so played out
[close]
Wrong
Ah right sorry. 16mm b-roll is so played out.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #1626 on: October 08, 2019, 07:27:58 PM »

User GideonChoi should do his own (better) version of this. Love those.
Word. A Verso vs. Cross Continental would be dope.

Also, wouldn’t call the back noseblunt on Blubba unfathomable since Rohan already did a noseblunt to shalom slide on it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 06:14:14 AM by Cuban_Lynx »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1627 on: October 08, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I get more hyped on this part more times I’m watching it.  God I hate pushing myself to learn new ledge tricks, it’s always hours of struggle, but this little fucker is making me want to go out and do that today.
[close]
I’m the opposite. Trying to learn tranny as an old. Spent 95% of my time Street skating and 5% on mini ramp. Frustrating seeing something as simple as pumping to keep consistent speed and struggling. My buddy said it will just click but rather embarrassing learning while heads is shredding :(
[close]

Yes. Most of my skating was in parking lots, with few ledges or curbs. Now when I go out I’ll try and catch some basic flip tricks, fail, get bummed quickly. I didn’t seek out transistion, and when it became more available I was further along in my skate life and didn’t want to pay the dues. Still don’t.
[close]

Same. Got good at street and by the time there were local parks I would just skate the non-transition obstacles. I would just kickturn on quarterpipes or drop in, but no lip tricks. Now I'm trying to learn it and I wish I'd done it sooner.
[close]
I never had any ramps. It’s crazy seeing people that did. Must be like riding a bike. Dude was like I haven’t skated forever and was murdering the mini. I guess I have to take my lumps and learn the absolute basics and look like I've never skated before  :-\

The looking like I’ve never skated before thing bums me out, but my petty old man vanity is truly silly: it’s been a long time since I was ‘good’, and that was always limited to flat. Same principles got in the way of learning ledge stuff, it wasn’t near me till I was older and felt like i was ‘good’ (obviously wasn’t) and didn’t want to publicly struggle. Which is sooo lame to think that way. The ramp tricks definitely seem to be less streaky than the flips. Like I’ll see people I would never think of as more coordinated than I just handling transition with great consistency. Pretty sick. Where as I show up try and switch flip/kickflip/treflip and then retreat to the gear section/truck thread.
Off track.
Part was sick, he’s not my guy. He clearly worked for his stuff, something I clearly cannot relate to

doyle

• Rep: 212
« Reply #1628 on: October 08, 2019, 10:03:18 PM »
I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here...

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #1629 on: October 08, 2019, 10:34:38 PM »
I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here...

I gotta say, I did like it more with cKy.

But admittedly I was hoping for 11 full minutes with it just looping in background, that’s just me though
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Recto

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1630 on: October 09, 2019, 12:27:14 PM »
Camp Kill Yourself? Pfft.

Swedish folk pop is the order of the day. No Manolo level sound efforts though.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1631 on: October 09, 2019, 01:58:34 PM »
I wonder if we'll ever see a rough cut
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #1632 on: October 10, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
Omg this is on the second page  ::) Just kidding.

Actually wondering if anyone has seen Kelly Harts reaction vid to this on the nine club experience. Pretty standard whoooo, OMG, whaatttt, jeeezzzz, insaaneeee haha.

Also Eldridge says the last 50-50 didn't "fit" lol

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1633 on: October 10, 2019, 12:40:02 PM »
Expand Quote

User GideonChoi should do his own (better) version of this. Love those.
[close]
Word. A Verso vs. Cross Continental would be dope.

Also, wouldn’t call the back noseblunt on Blubba unfathomable since Rohan already did a noseblunt to shalom slide on it.

Slide is redundant since the backside shalom implies the slide.

BrockSamson

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1634 on: October 11, 2019, 03:19:25 PM »
Omg this is on the second page  ::) Just kidding.

Actually wondering if anyone has seen Kelly Harts reaction vid to this on the nine club experience. Pretty standard whoooo, OMG, whaatttt, jeeezzzz, insaaneeee haha.

Also Eldridge says the last 50-50 didn't "fit" lol

love the Kelly Hart reaction vids even if they are same like 6 repeated phrases. i've also watched Cole and the gang react to the part like 5 times now.

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #1635 on: October 11, 2019, 07:03:15 PM »
This is over the top.

https://suciu-verso.com/

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #1636 on: October 11, 2019, 07:11:59 PM »
That's all fine and dandy but in each section where he flips his board he goes either goes nollie or fakie in both A and B. But in section 4 he goes nollie in A then goes switch in B. He fucked up his own verso.

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #1637 on: October 11, 2019, 07:17:07 PM »
And 1A and 1B were the same trick? Or is that meant to be? I have trouble with left and right sometimes,  all this mirror backwards stuff just confuses me.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
« Reply #1638 on: October 11, 2019, 07:20:19 PM »
i think the whole verso thing is amazing .. but the fact that he had to spell it out for everyone straight up allows it to lose its luster .. it wouldve been more impactful if he put out this part and then slowly over time people started to piece it together .. especially in this age of rare rewatches
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

fried

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1639 on: October 11, 2019, 07:25:48 PM »
i think the whole verso thing is amazing .. but the fact that he had to spell it out for everyone straight up allows it to lose its luster .. it wouldve been more impactful if he put out this part and then slowly over time people started to piece it together .. especially in this age of rare rewatches

True, but the fact that he did spell it out, and a lot of people still don’t know why the last trick is a 5050 is pretty funny

enrgydrnkr

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1640 on: October 11, 2019, 08:10:08 PM »
That's all fine and dandy but in each section where he flips his board he goes either goes nollie or fakie in both A and B. But in section 4 he goes nollie in A then goes switch in B. He fucked up his own verso.

I don’t want to suck Mark’s presumably perfectly symmetrical balls too much here, but he does discuss this to some extent in this interview:

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/rules-of-skateboarding-13-mark-suciu

for those that don’t want to read the whole thing but do want the juicy part where he shit talks his elder teammates’ trick selection-

“It does have to do with my slight discontent with mirrored lines. They’re supposed to be conceptual, but it’s the case of a concept completely ruining the skating. If you do a mirrored line, everyone is going to know what you’re about to do on the fourth trick. I love Silas so much, but he posted that stupid line where he does half-Cab up the curb, frontsidle flip the gap – It’s at a shopping center –then nollie frontside180, switch frontside flip the gap. You know he’s going to do when he nollie frontside 180s the curb. You know he’s going to switch frontside flip the gap. The reason he posted that is because it’s a concept, but the gap wasn’t that big, the tricks aren’t that hard.

So yeah, I think mirrored lines are kind of dumb, but my brain still gravitates towards them. I wanted to mess with it a little bit. Say Silas did half-Cab up a curb, frontside flip, then the next line was nollie frontside 180, switch frontside 360 flip. That would be a little bit cooler. It keeps the structure, but it’s a surprise.”

Anyways, the idea for me is more about movement than perfect symmetry, or trick nomenclature. When I first watched the part, the Verso section didn’t do anything for me because super tech ledge maneuvers that only grind the last 6 inches of the ledge are arguably the worst kind of skateboard tricks out there. But on repeated views, the Verso thing kind of sunk in and i realized it might be more about diving deep into a directional, spinning kind of  thought process that you can only really accomplish with that ledge in the middle to stop your motion and unwind in the other direction. In other words, I feel that the Verso is more about the dancing aspect of his skating than it is about all the flipping and the grinds.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #1641 on: October 11, 2019, 09:51:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don’t want to suck Mark’s presumably perfectly symmetrical balls too much here, but he does discuss this to some extent in this interview:

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/rules-of-skateboarding-13-mark-suciu

for those that don’t want to read the whole thing but do want the juicy part where he shit talks his elder teammates’ trick selection-

“It does have to do with my slight discontent with mirrored lines. They’re supposed to be conceptual, but it’s the case of a concept completely ruining the skating. If you do a mirrored line, everyone is going to know what you’re about to do on the fourth trick. I love Silas so much, but he posted that stupid line where he does half-Cab up the curb, frontsidle flip the gap – It’s at a shopping center –then nollie frontside180, switch frontside flip the gap. You know he’s going to do when he nollie frontside 180s the curb. You know he’s going to switch frontside flip the gap. The reason he posted that is because it’s a concept, but the gap wasn’t that big, the tricks aren’t that hard.

So yeah, I think mirrored lines are kind of dumb, but my brain still gravitates towards them. I wanted to mess with it a little bit. Say Silas did half-Cab up a curb, frontside flip, then the next line was nollie frontside 180, switch frontside 360 flip. That would be a little bit cooler. It keeps the structure, but it’s a surprise.”

Anyways, the idea for me is more about movement than perfect symmetry, or trick nomenclature. When I first watched the part, the Verso section didn’t do anything for me because super tech ledge maneuvers that only grind the last 6 inches of the ledge are arguably the worst kind of skateboard tricks out there. But on repeated views, the Verso thing kind of sunk in and i realized it might be more about diving deep into a directional, spinning kind of  thought process that you can only really accomplish with that ledge in the middle to stop your motion and unwind in the other direction. In other words, I feel that the Verso is more about the dancing aspect of his skating than it is about all the flipping and the grinds.

Yeah, I was just being anal with the nitpicking there. Like he could have ended it with a bs 50-50 instead of another frontside but I get where he was going. Either way this part is still too hard to comprehend and Suciu is too smart for his own good.

Censored

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1642 on: October 11, 2019, 10:42:07 PM »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #1643 on: October 11, 2019, 11:16:51 PM »

But that isn't to say there haven't been others like Mark Suciu. While I enjoyed Jenkem's ( http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/10/03/serious-review-mark-sucius-serious-verso/ ) deep dive on Verso and agree that the part is brilliant, I disagree with the implication that Mark was the first to plan this deeply, to care this much about the artistic wholeness of his part. Others have pointed to Marc Johnson in comparison, but I was reminded of Daewon. Each one of his parts feels like an album from a band that successfully changes its sound over time. There is a calculated and consistent aesthetic that defines most of his parts as individual pieces. From Skate More to Round 3, he has eras, and you can clearly see the planning, requiring multiple people to set up picnic tables slanted off roofs and the like, that had to necessitate many of the tricks. There is also Ronnie Creager, Dennis Busenitz, a lot of tech guys and gnar folk alike who have talked about how long they planned something for a part. Staring down a tower gap for years, scoping the perimeter, casing the security guards' schedule until they know they can make their move. I think the author overly emphasized Mark's uniqueness in this case, and could have looked at the lineage of pros who have obsessed over their parts to better understand where he was coming from.     
I will say, I love the point about Daewon. Suciu def gives MJ and Daewon vibes. He has the rare combo of insane technical ability combined with an eye for a spot that is rare. Both of them eschewed one-up-manship generally, for unique technical spots at a spot they stumbled across. What defines great skaters like these is that insane combo. This may sound crazy but its basically a combo of people who have the technical ability of people in The Storm, meets people who have an eye for a spot like a Static video.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #1644 on: October 11, 2019, 11:36:38 PM »

No he didn't because the motions are the same when you ignore forward momentum.

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #1645 on: October 12, 2019, 03:53:21 AM »
Love the nerdism!  He should now film his INVERSO part doing all the VERSO tricks in backward and symmetrical order.

Anyway, part is bonkers, VERSO or not.

ginzberg

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1646 on: October 12, 2019, 10:23:52 AM »
I hadn't realized until my most recent rewatch, but the ABBA section has mirrored spots. With one exception, unless I'm mistaken.

Lenox Ledges > Waller Ledges > ??? > ABC :switches sides: ABC < ??? < Waller Ledges < Lenox Ledges

Are the two unknown (to me) spots related in any way?
5A:5B and 6A:6B on https://suciu-verso.com for reference

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #1647 on: October 12, 2019, 01:16:29 PM »
I had to watch some Prawn footage just to even things out.....

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #1648 on: October 12, 2019, 02:41:16 PM »
I feel like as a pro skater he could have done at least a 5-0 at the start and end of that section instead of 5050..:
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #1649 on: October 12, 2019, 03:13:27 PM »
And 1A and 1B were the same trick? Or is that meant to be? I have trouble with left and right sometimes,  all this mirror backwards stuff just confuses me.

Man I feel you. I'm literally dyslexic when it comes to some tricks. I'm just like damn that was cool!... Wtf did they really do though? Feel so stupid but when It looks too effortless usually my old dense ass can't process it quick enough. Unless I'm a huge fan of that particular person. Even then I get confused sometimes and have to watch twice. I suck at math though so go figure.