Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246748 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #1680 on: October 16, 2019, 06:11:58 AM »
it sounds pretty conservative to say it's just a toy. It's true but fuck that

some skaters have a brain and are more than welcome to use it

Progression can be about one more stair and going for the gnarliest stuff, it can also be about finding new ways to hit spots and articulate a project to showcase that.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 06:29:07 AM by BALARGUE »

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1681 on: October 16, 2019, 06:15:36 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't wish "skaters would just skate" but in the range of what heckler said, i was surprised mark is too one-track minded to understand those heath tricks.
[close]

Skateboarding was so much better before we were able to actually get into their minds via social media.

I mean, none of Mark's input on verso was over social media it was all interviews
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1682 on: October 16, 2019, 06:34:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't wish "skaters would just skate" but in the range of what heckler said, i was surprised mark is too one-track minded to understand those heath tricks.
[close]

Skateboarding was so much better before we were able to actually get into their minds via social media.
[close]

I mean, none of Mark's input on verso was over social media it was all interviews

For this particular instance yes, you are correct, his stuff was not coming through social. I was speaking in more broad terms. It all goes back to that saying "never meet your heroes/idols" and with current social media it's like one degree away from being in a room and talking directly to someone. I just want to watch good skating, maybe read an interview about the hi jinx of a tour or about the leaving/starting a new company. Just let the skating do the talking for the most part.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #1683 on: October 16, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

For this particular instance yes, you are correct, his stuff was not coming through social. I was speaking in more broad terms. It all goes back to that saying "never meet your heroes/idols" and with current social media it's like one degree away from being in a room and talking directly to someone. I just want to watch good skating, maybe read an interview about the hi jinx of a tour or about the leaving/starting a new company. Just let the skating do the talking for the most part.
We really need to get the mystery back in skateboarding…

Is Mystery still a thing? It is, isn't it? That's shocking.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #1684 on: October 16, 2019, 10:43:19 PM »
Honestly, the vibe I get is that the only skateboarding Mark Suciu wants to intellectualize is his own.

That's an interesting way to put it; then again I've also sensed a similar tendency in other people throughout the years who also think of their skating as sophisticated (which isn't always unjustified) and are so focused on how precisely they present it that they naturally become very critical of different people's approaches. OG Puleo could be one popular, renowned example, I guess that happens when one emotionally invests themselves in their skating enough that it becomes a serious outlet with more personal significance than either a casual hobby or standard day job (depending on their position). I never liked how being serious about skateboarding was always considered a kook thing (usually by people who are jaded they've made some wrong life choices), like that's supposed to take all the fun out of it; if anything it only means you like skating so much you're naturally driven to explore more than just its surface level, which actually means more fun, and it is possible to remain remotely self-aware all the while watching that your shit gets presented according to your own creative vision. Kookiness only comes into play when one loses that self-awareness and forgets that their vision is just one take on the skateboard as an object amongst millions of others, regardless of how sharp it may be.

Earlier in this thread I was saying Suciu is the Bob the Builder of skateboarding because here, to me he looks like he's pretty much trying to singlehandedly fix everything caricatures of old timers might think is wrong in skateboarding right now. Bringing back the idea of putting thought into your skateboarding and duly treating like it a craft (one could argue the Thrasher exposure makes Verso a vulgarization of that train of thought), bringing back longer videos with anticipation hype and rewatch value, taking bits and bobs from Magenta / Isle and reinterpreting them like he's almost trying to correct them. All by putting his body through some insane shit, that's pretty blue collar to me and contrasts with his intellectual persona in a fashion I think is funny.

Honestly if anything Mark looks a bit conflicted, the impression I get is his passion for skating screams a sincerity that's not really fit for the modern industry standards where in order to appeal to the masses, every pro has to be a fucking cardboard image of something and fit under a popular designation. Dude has been presented to the world as 'that one skater who reads books' since his teenage years when he was still living off nothing but Subway sandwiches, that just has to fuck with one's development to the point of having them think they maybe are the sarcophagus they were given eventually, or at least influence their cognitive process. Marketing can make anyone believe anything; I've gotten some shit on here before just for saying Suciu wasn't the first one to put thought into a skate project FFS (which doesn't take anything away from his effort either). Then again, on here I've also been told that MJ's ender in Fully Flared was respectable because 'it had a story behind it', like no shit, yeah since the media romanticized that struggle, that really had to be a first.

I'm also rather emotionally invested in skating, relatively critical and have been posting mostly sarcasm in this thread so far but the clip was a good watch (of course the skating itself was insane) and I think I can recognize and appreciate Mark's intent with it, or maybe I'm just projecting. Just singlehandedly building up that much hype for, and generating that much discussion around a skate clip nowadays is remarkable, and regardless of one's impression regarding said clip and how justified the designation might be, the way it is presented and promoted as a creative effort will always be more inspiring of a message to the kids in the long run than the average logo-filled shoe ad.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:50:40 PM by silhouette »

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #1685 on: October 16, 2019, 11:00:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Honestly, the vibe I get is that the only skateboarding Mark Suciu wants to intellectualize is his own.
[close]

That's an interesting way to put it; then again I've also sensed a similar tendency in other people throughout the years who also think of their skating as sophisticated (which isn't always unjustified) and are so focused on how precisely they present it that they naturally become very critical of different people's approaches. OG Puleo could be one popular, renowned example, I guess that happens when one emotionally invests themselves in their skating enough that it becomes a serious outlet with more personal significance than either a casual hobby or standard day job (depending on their position). I never liked how being serious about skateboarding was always considered a kook thing (usually by people who are jaded they've made some wrong life choices), like that's supposed to take all the fun out of it; if anything it only means you like skating so much you're naturally driven to explore more than just its surface level, which actually means more fun, and it is possible to remain remotely self-aware all the while watching that your shit gets presented according to your own creative vision. Kookiness only comes into play when one loses that self-awareness and forgets that their vision is just one take on the skateboard as an object amongst millions of others, regardless of how sharp it may be.

Earlier in this thread I was saying Suciu is the Bob the Builder of skateboarding because here, to me he looks like he's pretty much trying to singlehandedly fix everything caricatures of old timers might think is wrong in skateboarding right now. Bringing back the idea of putting thought into your skateboarding and duly treating like it a craft (one could argue the Thrasher exposure makes Verso a vulgarization of that train of thought), bringing back longer videos with anticipation hype and rewatch value, taking bits and bobs from Magenta / Isle and reinterpreting them like he's almost trying to correct them. All by putting his body through some insane shit, that's pretty blue collar to me and contrasts with his intellectual persona in a fashion I think is funny.

Honestly if anything Mark looks a bit conflicted, the impression I get is his passion for skating screams a sincerity that's not really fit for the modern industry standards where in order to appeal to the masses, every pro has to be a fucking cardboard image of something and fit under a popular designation. Dude has been presented to the world as 'that one skater who reads books' since his teenage years when he was still living off nothing but Subway sandwiches, that just has to fuck with one's development to the point of having them think they maybe are the sarcophagus they were given eventually, or at least influence their cognitive process. Marketing can make anyone believe anything; I've gotten some shit on here before just for saying Suciu wasn't the first one to put thought into a skate project FFS (which doesn't take anything away from his effort either). Then again, on here I've also been told that MJ's ender in Fully Flared was respectable because 'it had a story behind it', like no shit, yeah since the media romanticized that struggle, that really had to be a first.

I'm also rather emotionally invested in skating, relatively critical and have been posting mostly sarcasm in this thread so far but the clip was a good watch (of course the skating itself was insane) and I think I can recognize and appreciate Mark's intent with it, or maybe I'm just projecting. Just singlehandedly building up that much hype for, and generating that much discussion around a skate clip nowadays is remarkable, and regardless of one's impression regarding said clip and how justified the designation might be, the way it is presented and promoted as a creative effort will always be more inspiring of a message to the kids in the long run than the average logo-filled shoe ad.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #1686 on: October 16, 2019, 11:05:36 PM »
^ No, it's one for the stranded souls. Glad to hear you don't qualify, keep it up!

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #1687 on: October 22, 2019, 09:14:31 AM »
https://soloskatemag.com/mark-suciu-interview#

Some more insight on Verso accompanied with more photos i haven’t seen.
Good read
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:18:38 AM by HateFV »

Dunkaroos

• Rep: -7
« Reply #1688 on: October 22, 2019, 10:27:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this was cool. good job. i'm not being facetious.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #1689 on: October 22, 2019, 10:45:38 AM »
https://soloskatemag.com/mark-suciu-interview#

Some more insight on Verso accompanied with more photos i haven’t seen.
Good read

Thanks, dude! I just read the whole thing. It is pretty clear and informative. I found he explained his interests in literature and his process for filming a part way better than in the thrasher interview. He claims he does not read Slap even though he seems to know slap's opinion of him. I found the many aspects of his obsession with control pretty interesting.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -218
« Reply #1690 on: October 22, 2019, 05:59:27 PM »
tried to watch this again. yep, still TLDW

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #1691 on: October 22, 2019, 08:53:49 PM »
So after a couple weeks, I kind of look at Verso the same way I look at Joker.  They're both really well planned, produced, and executed.  I just don't care to see either one again.  There's just no replay value for me.

ProjectBluebeam

• Rep: 59
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1692 on: October 22, 2019, 10:41:55 PM »
yo whens this shit comin out actually

Ocelot

« Reply #1693 on: October 23, 2019, 04:50:44 AM »
good memories in this thread

bogolden

« Reply #1694 on: October 23, 2019, 05:19:34 AM »
imagine sitting in a room with MJ and Suciu

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1695 on: October 23, 2019, 11:58:38 AM »
ok, just watched this again for the 5th or 6th time and:
  • it's one of the most mind-blowing bodies of creative and gnarly skateboarding i've ever seen--tricks, lines, use of and engagement with space and architecture...again, well worth the wait
  • i'm glad that i'm older and not really paying attention to the genres of music that dude edits parts to, because--as usual--i think the music works perfectly with his skating, and i enjoy. that being said, i'm glad skating still attracts people who pay attention and are critical of these things.
  • not to get too literary here, but since it is my living (and it does indeed seem like a fitting context), Mark Suciu's skating--and this part especially--keeps bringing this Goethe quote to mind, "I call architecture frozen music," and in this regard, your boy can definitely dance...

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1696 on: October 23, 2019, 12:19:47 PM »
imagine sitting in a room with MJ and Suciu

id imagine myself being really intimidated and out of place and possibly having a panic attack if the room was small enough
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #1697 on: October 23, 2019, 12:26:46 PM »
  • not to get too literary here, but since it is my living (and it does indeed seem like a fitting context), Mark Suciu's skating--and this part especially--keeps bringing this Goethe quote to mind, "I call architecture frozen music," and in this regard, your boy can definitely dance...

that's a dumb quote

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1698 on: October 23, 2019, 02:22:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that's a dumb quote

ok, thanks

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1699 on: October 23, 2019, 04:19:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that's a dumb quote
[close]

ok, thanks

too easy. if it means something to you, don't just let me say it's dumb. defend it. come to its rescue. tell me what it means.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1700 on: October 24, 2019, 08:51:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that's a dumb quote
[close]

ok, thanks
[close]

too easy. if it means something to you, don't just let me say it's dumb. defend it. come to its rescue. tell me what it means.

aw...look at you go...it means something to me--as well as to many generations of human beings--you, of course, do not...it and he hardly need rescuing from you...dear, sweet, simple “HyperBeam”...

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #1701 on: October 24, 2019, 09:13:09 AM »

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #1702 on: October 24, 2019, 12:34:54 PM »
Holy shit check out this crazy nosegrind he did

https://scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t50.12441-16/76198663_406082846986306_3192710145462778908_n.mp4?_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=110&oe=5DB3E811&oh=06816c647fd9acd13415adc1f55ff1f3

I’ve never been to that park but that looks insane hah.

Yeah, but where's the slow rotation Natas spin to 50/50? That's what I thought 8)
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1703 on: October 24, 2019, 09:42:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that's a dumb quote
[close]

ok, thanks
[close]

[close]

aw...look at you go...it means something to me--as well as to many generations of human beings--you, of course, do not...it and he hardly need rescuing from you...dear, sweet, simple “HyperBeam”...

not exactly the answer i expected from someone whose living it is to profess literature...or maybe it's not a surprise at all. if you don't interpret the quote, you'll force me to accuse you of not being able to do it.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1704 on: October 25, 2019, 08:44:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that's a dumb quote
[close]

ok, thanks
[close]

[close]

[close]

not exactly the answer i expected from someone whose living it is to profess literature...or maybe it's not a surprise at all. if you don't interpret the quote, you'll force me to accuse you of not being able to do it.

...and damn, dearest HyperBeam, what a jarring blow that would be to my self-esteem...but ok, i'll bite, little by little perhaps, as time affords--so maybe a gesture in a promising direction might come from an idea i read somewhere (from someone at least a bit smarter than me), that:

"the talent of imagining human situations is more important for an architect than the gift of fantasizing spaces"

cuckflip

« Reply #1705 on: October 25, 2019, 08:55:57 AM »
You guys liked this shit? This is the skate video equivalent of some loser posting study photos of the library on Instagram while actually just reading emo quotes on tumblr.

“Smart” skaters are 50 times more insufferable than skaters that are borderline regular

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1706 on: October 25, 2019, 09:33:48 AM »
You guys liked this shit? This is the skate video equivalent of some loser posting study photos of the library on Instagram while actually just reading emo quotes on tumblr.

“Smart” skaters are 50 times more insufferable than skaters that are borderline regular

that's deep son...real deep.

"smart" is an evaluative claim, right? to make an evaluative claim, you need some kind of criteria on which to base your evaluation--i'm curious what yours are here.

how about "sensible" skaters--are they ok with you sunshine?

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #1707 on: October 25, 2019, 09:41:40 AM »
Lolll sorry bro we don’t know what “evaluative” means we are too busy skating

cuckflip

« Reply #1708 on: October 25, 2019, 10:03:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that's deep son...real deep.

"smart" is an evaluative claim, right? to make an evaluative claim, you need some kind of criteria on which to base your evaluation--i'm curious what yours are here.

how about "sensible" skaters--are they ok with you sunshine?

Lol what’s up Mark Suciu didn’t realize you posted here!

Your just proving my point tho skaters on a pro level are kind of dumb which is totally fine with me! I don’t care if the pro I like pretends to read or not just entertain me for 3-5 minutes.

There’s no need to have some weird superiority complex and identity around being a skater that went to college.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1709 on: October 25, 2019, 10:33:35 AM »
Lolll sorry bro we don’t know what “evaluative” means we are too busy skating

hah...yeah, right, but not "too busy skating" to be approaching 3000 posts in here...