Author Topic: Mark Suciu 'Verso'  (Read 246666 times)

HyperBeam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
Re: Mark Suciu 'Verso'
« Reply #1710 on: October 25, 2019, 12:15:03 PM »
unlike these guys, wendell, i'm open to being persuaded, pending your exegesis of the goethe quote...

the world is filled with cuckflips and fulltechnicalskizzys. goethe is in serious trouble if the gatekeepers of literature aren't willing to come out and defend him against me, cuckflip and fulltechnicalskizzy.

cuckflip

« Reply #1711 on: October 25, 2019, 01:29:41 PM »
Don’t get me wrong I wanna be persuaded, fucking roast me I'm dumb as hell!!

But be on your high horse and call me sunshine like some petty 40 year old woman who listens to Lizzo. The deputy’s rebuttal consist of how many posts someone has made there’s absolutely no substance.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1712 on: October 26, 2019, 02:50:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You guys liked this shit? This is the skate video equivalent of some loser posting study photos of the library on Instagram while actually just reading emo quotes on tumblr.

“Smart” skaters are 50 times more insufferable than skaters that are borderline regular
[close]

that's deep son...real deep.

"smart" is an evaluative claim, right? to make an evaluative claim, you need some kind of criteria on which to base your evaluation--i'm curious what yours are here.

how about "sensible" skaters--are they ok with you sunshine?
[close]

Lol what’s up Mark Suciu didn’t realize you posted here!

Your just proving my point tho skaters on a pro level are kind of dumb which is totally fine with me! I don’t care if the pro I like pretends to read or not just entertain me for 3-5 minutes.

There’s no need to have some weird superiority complex and identity around being a skater that went to college.

the thing is people are projecting a superiority complex Suciu has never expressed. he's just doing his thing period.
can you please lay on the couch and tell us about your inferiority complex, we are listening

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1713 on: October 26, 2019, 07:41:47 AM »
unlike these guys, wendell, i'm open to being persuaded, pending your exegesis of the goethe quote...

the world is filled with cuckflips and fulltechnicalskizzys. goethe is in serious trouble if the gatekeepers of literature aren't willing to come out and defend him against me, cuckflip and fulltechnicalskizzy.

right...kisses to you man...this is fun--i can see this as a panel at the next MLA conference:

"Crisis in the Humanities: 'Defending' Goethe against the HyperBeams, Cuckflips, & fulltechnicalskizzys of the World"

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1714 on: October 26, 2019, 09:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

right...kisses to you man...this is fun--i can see this as a panel at the next MLA conference:

"Crisis in the Humanities: 'Defending' Goethe against the HyperBeams, Cuckflips, & fulltechnicalskizzys of the World"

hopefully it'll include your explanation of frozen architecture music.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #1715 on: October 27, 2019, 12:28:20 AM »
You guys liked this shit? This is the skate video equivalent of some loser posting study photos of the library on Instagram while actually just reading emo quotes on tumblr.
I laughed

Surf-goth

• Rep: -677
« Reply #1716 on: October 27, 2019, 07:57:04 AM »
Expand Quote
ok, just watched this again for the 5th or 6th time and:
  • not to get too literary here, but since it is my living (and it does indeed seem like a fitting context), Mark Suciu's skating--and this part especially--keeps bringing this Goethe quote to mind, "I call architecture frozen music," and in this regard, your boy can definitely dance...
[close]

that's a dumb quote

It's not the quote that's dumb. It's you.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -677
« Reply #1717 on: October 27, 2019, 07:59:38 AM »

“Smart” skaters are 50 times more insufferable than skaters that are borderline regular

You seem borderline regular
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

cuckflip

« Reply #1718 on: October 27, 2019, 04:48:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You seem borderline regular
You got that right! It’s sad others are to scared to come out and say it too!

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1719 on: October 27, 2019, 10:26:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
  • not to get too literary here, but since it is my living (and it does indeed seem like a fitting context), Mark Suciu's skating--and this part especially--keeps bringing this Goethe quote to mind, "I call architecture frozen music," and in this regard, your boy can definitely dance...
[close]

that's a dumb quote
[close]

please explain. i'm not saying you're wrong, but i don't think that you're capable of articulating why you feel this way.

so far two people have called me dumb yet neither of them has given me any reason to assign value to this quote.

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #1720 on: October 27, 2019, 10:34:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that's a dumb quote
[close]

[close]

please explain. i'm not saying you're wrong, but i don't think that you're capable of articulating why you feel this way.

so far two people have called me dumb yet neither of them has given me any reason to assign value to this quote.

You're dumb for wasting your time on stupid arguments on the internet. Probably still a decent bloke though.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1721 on: October 28, 2019, 08:31:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that's a dumb quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You're dumb for wasting your time on stupid arguments on the internet. Probably still a decent bloke though.

thanks. It's my hunch that a lot of people who quote "great authors" only do so to avoid confronting the barrenness of their own thoughts, but primarily to increase their own cultural capital. This behavior is routine for the humanities, and it contributes to the increasing social impotence of these studies.

I'm not accusing wendell of participating in this behavior, but unless he can explain why he gives any credence to the statement "architecture is frozen music" (spake by GOETHE, let us not forget!), he's guilty until proven innocent.

Is this a petty thing to drag out? Possibly. But don't forget, someone once wrote ten books about an implacable old man who pestered his dinner hosts to give him a satisfactory definition of the word "justice" and surely if i were to drop this person's name, we'd all be embarrassed to say that he was dumb and "wasting his time on stupid arguments."

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #1722 on: October 28, 2019, 08:51:05 AM »

thanks. It's my hunch that a lot of people who quote "great authors" only do so to avoid confronting the barrenness of their own thoughts, but primarily to increase their own cultural capital. This behavior is routine for the humanities, and it contributes to the increasing social impotence of these studies.

I'm not accusing wendell of participating in this behavior, but unless he can explain why he gives any credence to the statement "architecture is frozen music" (spake by GOETHE, let us not forget!), he's guilty until proven innocent.

Is this a petty thing to drag out? Possibly. But don't forget, someone once wrote ten books about an implacable old man who pestered his dinner hosts to give him a satisfactory definition of the word "justice" and surely if i were to drop this person's name, we'd all be embarrassed to say that he was dumb and "wasting his time on stupid arguments."

The thing about shit like this is that it can be interpreted 500 different ways by 500 different people.

I'm not going to speak for Wendell because I don't know how he interprets "architecture is frozen music", but I can tell you what I take from it. I will not call you dumb at any point because I do not think you are dumb whatsoever.

Architecture is based on the art of designing something for the public to take in. Music works the same way. When you write a song, there are many different components that go into it (vocals, different instruments, etc...). You use trial and error to put the pieces together until you are happy with the final product. The public then takes in the final product, not knowing all of the work that went into creating it.

With architecture, the process of creating something is the same as the process of creating a great song. Trial and error and painstaking effort to reach the final product.

The difference is that music (although you are simply hearing it), is fluid and can move you. Architecture is not fluid, it is frozen in place, but can still move you.

I honestly don't know if any of that makes sense at all, but that's my interpretation of the quote. How it applies to Suciu's part, I have no idea.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

cuckflip

« Reply #1723 on: October 28, 2019, 08:58:22 AM »
Hyper beam is 100% right

Also idk what your doing with a slap account if your not engaging in stupid arguments on the internet you should just log off

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1724 on: October 28, 2019, 09:44:55 AM »
Thanks, Dan.

I agree. There's a similar aspect of composition in both music and architecture. I think your most interesting idea is that both are created for reception, and that they're received differently: music is fluid a object, while architecture is static object.

What's interesting is that to perceive the entirety of a work of music, you only need to sit and listen to it. But to perceive the entirety of a work of architecture requires you to constantly reposition your body (ie walk around). With architecture, the "burden of movement" is shifted from the work itself to the observer. A similar shift occurs when comparing sculpture to painting (sculpture is more architectural, while painting is more musical, regarding the physical activity each requires of its observer).

Insofar as dancing is a kind of excess perception of music (as in, it goes beyond the minimum requirement of sitting and listening), I think that Wendell is accurate in saying that Suciu dances to frozen music. As skateboarding, by analogy, is a kind of excess in relation to the bare minimum of bodily repositioning (ie walking) that is needed to assist the primary mode of perceiving architecture (ie vision).

So in my opinion, I think wendell is in fact pointing something out.

Dancing and skateboarding are both an elaboration on the basic perception of an artistic composition, however the faculty of perception that each addresses is different: hearing and vision. 

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1725 on: October 28, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
dogs (especially my dear friend HyperBeam), i’m a humble adjunct “English” professor teaching three different classes at two different universities this semester (the most i’ve taught in one semester up to this point), who is two chapters into his dissertation, and one step away from being overwhelmed with my workload right now--i come in here and comment when I can, and as much as I’d like to really unpack that quote, the time’s generally not there...but i have a bit of time right now, so...

...first, i like where Dan is headed, which is where i gestured with that last idea above, but first, again:

“I call architecture frozen music”

to me, this is about the very nature, use, importance of architecture and the built environment in human lives--and i think despite how right Goethe gets it here, he could not possibly have foreseen how absolutely skateboarders and skateboarding confirm this perspective of our built environment.

music is not something one generally passively engages and experiences, but is meant to evoke physical (dancing, skanking, crying, etc.) and emotional responses (aggression, sadness, elation, etc.)...in this sense, neither is architecture, and in our own way as skaters, we prove this with how we engage and redefine architecture and the spaces it creates--and part of my point, was that Mark Suciu is especially creative and visionary with regards to not only architectural structures and objects, but the interstitial spaces that connect them (or that Suciu’s skating establishes connections between, because dude sees lines where others don’t)...

...like the other perspective i provided above, “human situations” are what most important/useful architecture should be designed in response to, not idealized spaces meant to be merely passively observed, consumed, and/or passed through--street skating is an example of this in ways and degrees that architects don’t even foresee, right? like when Edmund Bacon (at 92 years-old) skated through Love Park (with some assistance of course) as protest against the bans trying to get arrested and everything--I forget the exact quote, but he basically said at one point that the ways skaters use/redefine/engage his architecture and the spaces it creates is the best compliment his planning and work has received...

...and to me--to get back to that poor, vulnerable Goethe quote--the way we do this, is not by treating his architecture like static objects and structure, but by treating it like music...or something like that...

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1726 on: October 28, 2019, 10:02:45 AM »
Thanks, Dan.

I agree. There's a similar aspect of composition in both music and architecture. I think your most interesting idea is that both are created for reception, and that they're received differently: music is fluid a object, while architecture is static object.

What's interesting is that to perceive the entirety of a work of music, you only need to sit and listen to it. But to perceive the entirety of a work of architecture requires you to constantly reposition your body (ie walk around). With architecture, the "burden of movement" is shifted from the work itself to the observer. A similar shift occurs when comparing sculpture to painting (sculpture is more architectural, while painting is more musical, regarding the physical activity each requires of its observer).

Insofar as dancing is a kind of excess perception of music (as in, it goes beyond the minimum requirement of sitting and listening), I think that Wendell is accurate in saying that Suciu dances to frozen music. As skateboarding, by analogy, is a kind of excess in relation to the bare minimum of bodily repositioning (ie walking) that is needed to assist the primary mode of perceiving architecture (ie vision).

Dancing and skateboarding are both an elaboration on the basic perception of an artistic composition, however the faculty of perception that each addresses is different: hearing and vision.

hey man, nicely and compellingly stated--you put this up as i was typing my last response...

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1223
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1727 on: October 28, 2019, 10:15:07 AM »

But be on your high horse and call me sunshine like some petty 40 year old woman who listens to Lizzo. The deputy’s rebuttal consist of how many posts someone has made there’s absolutely no substance.
yea you are

cuckflip

« Reply #1728 on: October 28, 2019, 10:24:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
yea you are
at least I admit it unlike the rest of you cowards!

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1729 on: October 28, 2019, 10:26:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
yea you are
[close]
i think everyone on slap knows that we’re all a little dumb in comparison to those that don’t spend precious time that we can’t get back on a skateboarding message board

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1730 on: October 28, 2019, 11:51:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Thanks, Dan.

[close]

hey man, nicely and compellingly stated--you put this up as i was typing my last response...

Thanks Wendell. I think you can see by what I said that we differ in that my position is that perceiving music is inherently passive, while perceiving architecture is inherently active. (One has to put forth a greater physical effort to do the latter). Dancing is then a supplement of activity to the passivity of listening. But even architecture, which inherently requires activity, can still receive a supplement of activity, which implies its musicality.

What book is this quote from? Was never into Goethe.

Good luck w/ teaching and ur diss. Would be happy to hear what it's about.

cuckflip

« Reply #1731 on: October 28, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
yea you are
[close]
[close]
i think everyone on slap knows that we’re all a little dumb in comparison to those that don’t spend precious time that we can’t get back on a skateboarding message board
I think there is a lack of self awareness when posting which is what makes the forum entertaining

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #1732 on: October 30, 2019, 10:37:51 AM »
Not having this on the front page of photos/videos through SOTY season should be a crime. Shit was the most SLAP part of the year, the buildup and final SLAP ejaculation has only been rivaled by shalomgate.

Shalom.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1733 on: October 30, 2019, 10:42:22 AM »
Not having this on the front page of photos/videos through SOTY season should be a crime. Shit was the most SLAP part of the year, the buildup and final SLAP ejaculation has only been rivaled by shalomgate.

Shalom.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1734 on: October 30, 2019, 10:59:17 AM »

Shalom.

Oi!

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1735 on: November 01, 2019, 07:37:14 AM »

Shalom.

Oi!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #1736 on: November 01, 2019, 10:43:51 AM »
Not Suciu-related,

The way I personally interpret the Goethe quote (without context) is that the common denominator between architecture and music is how both are human expression and as such, manifest themselves in forms that are inherently bound to the context of their production - the current politics, social norms, reactions and counter-reactions etc. Except one can encapsulate music into records, or experience it live, or play it, but as a progressive composition that is based on manipulating sounds through time, by definition there is no real possibility to catch a particular moment - by the time you've heard it it's gone and onto the next and so on. Architecture is more tangible and has a longer shelf life, its apparent decay isn't nearly as imminent and therefore it may be more of a block of a time capsule as opposed to a split on the FCP7 timeline. The mark is fixed for longer whereas no matter how hard one tries to catch it, music just flows. That's probably a pretty naive take.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #1737 on: November 01, 2019, 04:29:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks, Dan.

[close]

[close]

Thanks Wendell. I think you can see by what I said that we differ in that my position is that perceiving music is inherently passive, while perceiving architecture is inherently active. (One has to put forth a greater physical effort to do the latter). Dancing is then a supplement of activity to the passivity of listening. But even architecture, which inherently requires activity, can still receive a supplement of activity, which implies its musicality.

What book is this quote from? Was never into Goethe.

Good luck w/ teaching and ur diss. Would be happy to hear what it's about.

I think that's some language gymnastics right there that leaves out all the interesting specifics. Also: Why do you want such a strict division between body and mind, between moving and being passive? Why all these categories?

You can consume music very actively, too: You can concentrate on the beat, on the harmony or the musical ideas you can dance to it in your mind, you can let it influence the way you perceive your surroundings. Listening to music does not have to be passive at all. Some songs you can listen to hundreds of times and still discover new patterns. Also when you play music it is very active. It is impossible to play the same song twice and in a way a jazz standart resembles a statue in that you can approach it from a thousand angles. There are also endless ways of creating architecture I would imagine. Some of which might be close some forms of producing music. You need to be concrete with comparisons or you're just stating generalities that do not mean much.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1738 on: November 02, 2019, 03:54:12 AM »
I concur that saying "perceiving music is inherently passive" is dead wrong

eastenders

• Rep: -115
« Reply #1739 on: November 02, 2019, 06:30:46 AM »
the only way to "perceive music" is to measure it upon how miserable it makes your own crummy existence feel